Assassin's Creed Series

187 replies to this topic
Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

Everybody lies. No exceptions.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:36 PM

I've always played these games on the 360/XB1, but I bought the Ezio Collection the other day on PS4 to change things up. :blush:

II is still my favourite. When I first played it I felt like I was going from GTA III to Vice City. Renaissance Italy is easily my favourite setting. Should be interesting if the info's correct of the next game taking place in Egypt.

Niiiiiiice. I got the collection myself for XB1 a while back. I haven't played much of it (only a little ways into II, and haven't tried the other two), but so far I'm really pleased with the remasters.

Yeah, AC II is an awesome game, and easily my favorite of the trilogy. It just felt so epic, with this one guy going from being a womanizing, street-fighting little punk to an Assassin, across a pretty huge chunk of Italy. And since I don't really care as much about the modern day, I love to tweak the settings to Italian with English subtitles. It just feels so much more immersive and authentic. Same thing with Brotherhood (Revelations doesn't have a Turkish language option, so I just stick to English).

As for Origins, I'm so happy it'll be set in Ancient Egypt. I'm a sucker for that setting, so I've been hoping for this to be true since the earliest leaks. And I'm pretty interested to see how the story turns out. It'll be so cool going back before even Altair's time and seeing some of the earliest Assassins and Templars. It'll probably be more of an action/adventure/Assassins vs. Templars story than a real exploration of the events and politics of the time, but assuming they don't bungle it up like they did with the French Revolution in Unity, it should be fun.

But yeah... that title. Could they have possibly picked a more generic and uninspiring title? Empire was fine, they should have just left it as-is. 

• MiamiViceCity and HaythamKenway like this

Skeever
  • Skeever

Blue Lives Matter

• Members
  • United-States
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

I picked up AC Revelations for the first time when it was free on XBL last month, and that one was pretty decent. I felt the story and characters were a bit lacking compared to the previous titles, but I do like the new additions that were added to combat and free-running (hookblade, bombs, etc.), while still keeping the old control formula of II/Brotherhood.

I'm just a playing ACB and I love the brutality.

Spoiler

Ubi gets a lot of bad rep but they've really been ahead of everyone else with the first couple of AC games and probably still are honestly. The assets and animation quality is amazing to this day and for what I know, they keep it up with their other series as well.

Yeah, the first three games (AC, ACII and ACB) are the sh*t. Still play them to this day, and continue to find new things. Hell, about two years ago I found a neat glitch in Brotherhood that lets you free roam in certain mission-specific outfits (French guard captain, Roman legionary, etc.), and I've never seen anything mentioned about it online. I've tried it in II and Revelations, and it unfortunately doesn't seem to work in those. If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to post the tutorial for it.

• Wu-Tang Forever, Payne Killer and Ivan1997GTA like this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

Tbh i'm not THAT big on AC2. It was a big step up from AC1 in many ways [and a step back in a few ways, but still] it was gorgeous and engaging and I spent a tone of time with it but I simply think its successors [Brotherhood, III, IV, Rogue] are better games. Still good though.

Only AC game I genuinely think is trash has to be Revelations.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:44 AM

I've always played these games on the 360/XB1, but I bought the Ezio Collection the other day on PS4 to change things up. :blush:

II is still my favourite. When I first played it I felt like I was going from GTA III to Vice City. Renaissance Italy is easily my favourite setting. Should be interesting if the info's correct of the next game taking place in Egypt.

Niiiiiiice. I got the collection myself for XB1 a while back. I haven't played much of it (only a little ways into II, and haven't tried the other two), but so far I'm really pleased with the remasters.

Yeah, AC II is an awesome game, and easily my favorite of the trilogy. It just felt so epic, with this one guy going from being a womanizing, street-fighting little punk to an Assassin, across a pretty huge chunk of Italy. And since I don't really care as much about the modern day, I love to tweak the settings to Italian with English subtitles. It just feels so much more immersive and authentic. Same thing with Brotherhood (Revelations doesn't have a Turkish language option, so I just stick to English).

I've never tried that before. Thanks buddy. :)

Personally I love when Ezio starts off as a cocky 17 year old and he trains to be a master assassin. It's the most compelling protagonist story of them all IMO.

• Wu-Tang Forever, Journey_95, Skeever and 1 other like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Rebellions are built on hope

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:08 AM Edited by HaythamKenway, 13 May 2017 - 08:10 AM.

Since Revelations was brought up; still my favorite of the Ezio trilogy. Gameplay-wise, it can't top Brotherhood's breadth and high consistent quality of content, but it more than makes up for the slavish adherence to the existing basis with the story. The character exploration in this game is superb. We have an older Ezio, reflecting on his life and the Creed, we finally have him come into his own as a Mentor, instead of a wartime leader, training the new generation of Assassins, his relationship with Sofia, the buddy dynamic with Yusuf. The tone of the game and the focus of the writing is much closer to AC I than the sheer fun swashbuckling pulp of II and Brotherhood (nothing against that, I enjoy those games, just like ACS, which is the same thing - but it should be clear by now where my preferences lie). Then there's the gorgeous, unique setting, the Altair vignettes and Desmond's memory trips (and CLAY!), the best soundtrack in the series and so much more, all standing on the proven gameplay of Brotherhood with some fun little tweaks again.

People tend to have Revelations for being just Brotherhood repackaged and I get that sentiment, but I think there's value in iterative gameplay design. Even better example of it might be Rogue or, to a lesser extent, Syndicate. Rogue is essentially just Black Flag too - but having that foundation done freed the dev team's hands and they could really polish the game to a mirror shine, tinker with the existing gameplay systems and features and work on producing content, making the heftiest and most varied game in the III Era, instead of tearing everything down and starting on a green field again for no reason. Rev is the same, just with more focus on the story, rather than the gameplay. It's the expansion pack philosophy. I don't see anything wrong with games like this, especially since they were always immediately followed by a massive reconstruction of the formula in the next game.

• MiamiViceCity and Payne Killer like this

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

I've never tried that before. Thanks buddy. :)

Personally I love when Ezio starts off as a cocky 17 year old and he trains to be a master assassin. It's the most compelling protagonist story of them all IMO.

Any time :) On the subject, if you've got Unity, I also strongly recommend playing that in French with English subtitles. It makes the experience so much better, since Ubi made the baffling decision to give everyone English accents. They said that it was because "there was no need" because people would know where they are without the proper accents (and something about the Animus translating it or some sh*t), but that's a pretty weak excuse, especially since they had no problem with everyone in II and Brotherhood having Italian accents. But yeah, even though Unity stumbled when it came to the story and historical aspect, the French-with-English-subtitles option goes a long way towards making it at least feel more authentic.

As for Revelations? When I first played it, it didn't really thrill me, but over time I realized that I really like it. They basically just made Brotherhood again and put it in a different city, but honestly, I find it a lot more unique than Brotherhood (if any game in the series is an expansion pack to II, it's that). The setting is just gorgeous and unique. And the story really delivers (I like it a lot better than Brotherhood's, but that's just me - I prefer the more serious stories of the first game, this, III and IV to the more lighthearted adventurous tales), with some great development and resolution for Ezio (though you have to watch Embers for the real ending to his story) and Altair... damn, Altair's side of things nearly steals the show. The end of his story is one of the most moving and emotional moments in the whole series in my book. It also helps that his new voice actor is so, so much better than the generic American who played him in the first game. And yeah, the soundtrack is great. My personal favorite is III's, but this comes pretty close. The theme for when you're just hanging around Constantinople and that amazing tune during the cart chase at the beginning... damn, it's good.

I do see the criticism that Revelations (and Brotherhood) are basically just rehashes, but honestly, I don't really see a problem with that. I mean, Vice City, one of the most beloved games in the GTA series, is basically just an improved and more polished version of III in a different city. Another example I like to use is Sonic the Hedgehog 2, which seems pretty much identical to the original at first glance, but makes so many little improvements here and there that the game is much better because of them. As long as you take the time to improve and polish some things, I don't really see anything inherently wrong with making a sequel extremely similar to its predecessor, especially if the setting and story are different enough to make it feel fresh. I feel the same way about Far Cry 4 and Primal and Rise of the Tomb Raider. But I'm rambling at this point. If nothing else, I like to consider the Ezio trilogy as basically one huge game, much like GTA IV, with II as the base game and Brotherhood and Revelations as the kickass Lost and Damned/Ballad of Gay Tony expansions. Maybe that's not the best comparison as Brotherhood and Revelations were sold as full-price individual games, but now that they're old enough that you can get them for coins you find in the couch, and the whole trilogy is available on one disc with the Ezio Collection, I think it fits these days.

• MiamiViceCity and HaythamKenway like this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

Since Revelations was brought up; still my favorite of the Ezio trilogy. Gameplay-wise, it can't top Brotherhood's breadth and high consistent quality of content, but it more than makes up for the slavish adherence to the existing basis with the story.

I'm looking forward to play ACR as I've heard the story is more mature and sensible. ACB is fun but the story is utter garbage, I'm only playing through it to get context for ACR. I hope it won't disappoint the fairly high expectations I have for it. Also looking forward to see Altair again who I liked a lot more than the flamboyant and dumb young Ezio.

And I don't mind the Ubisoft formula, roaming around and stabbing random people is enjoyable so I guess I'm fine with two games in a row doing pretty much the same thing. We'll see.

• HaythamKenway likes this

Dbzk1999
  • Dbzk1999

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

It also helps that his new voice actor is so, so much better than the generic American who played him in the first game.

Funny thing bout that, I think that's more so due to the fact that Ubisoft let him have a middle eastern accent in ACR. Philip Shahbaz (voice of altair in AC1 and of Iranian descent) was originally instructed to voice Altair with a middle eastern accent before Ubisoft had him change it to make Altair "more accessible" to the player base
  • Wu-Tang Forever likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

Since Revelations was brought up; still my favorite of the Ezio trilogy. Gameplay-wise, it can't top Brotherhood's breadth and high consistent quality of content, but it more than makes up for the slavish adherence to the existing basis with the story. The character exploration in this game is superb. We have an older Ezio, reflecting on his life and the Creed, we finally have him come into his own as a Mentor, instead of a wartime leader, training the new generation of Assassins, his relationship with Sofia, the buddy dynamic with Yusuf. The tone of the game and the focus of the writing is much closer to AC I than the sheer fun swashbuckling pulp of II and Brotherhood (nothing against that, I enjoy those games, just like ACS, which is the same thing - but it should be clear by now where my preferences lie). Then there's the gorgeous, unique setting, the Altair vignettes and Desmond's memory trips (and CLAY!), the best soundtrack in the series and so much more, all standing on the proven gameplay of Brotherhood with some fun little tweaks again.

People tend to have Revelations for being just Brotherhood repackaged and I get that sentiment, but I think there's value in iterative gameplay design. Even better example of it might be Rogue or, to a lesser extent, Syndicate. Rogue is essentially just Black Flag too - but having that foundation done freed the dev team's hands and they could really polish the game to a mirror shine, tinker with the existing gameplay systems and features and work on producing content, making the heftiest and most varied game in the III Era, instead of tearing everything down and starting on a green field again for no reason. Rev is the same, just with more focus on the story, rather than the gameplay. It's the expansion pack philosophy. I don't see anything wrong with games like this, especially since they were always immediately followed by a massive reconstruction of the formula in the next game.

Revelations would have been great if it was as you described; but it's a horribly botched character piece. The game wants to convince me Ezio has wizened up into an aging master assassin but then he ends up breaking every single tenet of the creed. Which again would be fine if they bothered to flesh it out as a plot point and to paint Ezio in a less flattering light but instead the narrative just chugs on. He's a sociopathic mass murderer by the end and it ends as a mere footnote. Altair's parts were fantastic but Desmond's bit were offensively awful in design and for a game called Revelations the only real revelations are in the game's DLC.

Gameplay wise it's much of the same but worse in a few respects. Bomb making was misused and bit of a pointless edition while the combat turned tedious without actually becoming more difficult with the Janissaries. Den defense was just awful and a disaster; not going to talk about that much.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Rebellions are built on hope

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

Assassins always were dirty terrorists who used their Creed as an empty-in-practice convenient noble guise to justify their deplorable deeds. Ezio Auditore was a sinister shadow interventionist who should not be celebrated and venerated.

Okay, dropping the roleplaying, the Cappadocia and similar events specifically - I didn't see Ezio's actions as contradictory out of omission or writer's oversight, but intentionally, though perhaps too understated. They were completely in character, just recontextualized when compared to his previous outings. While Ezio is indeed wisened and more thoughtful compared to the Assassin general he was in the previous game, he's still not a sage, which is a characteristic repeatedly invoked throughout the story (most evident in his interactions with Yusuf, who is basically just his young reflection - which is why they immediately click so well together despite years of experience setting them apart). He's not Yoda, camping out in the swamps of Dagobah, going on about how "wars not make one great", to use a handy Star Wars example. He's still a man of action, who prefers blunt approach to elegant subterfuge, as he always did.

While it would certainly be welcome if his actions were directly adressed in the text itself (to a degree Rogue or IV approached similar issues), I don't really have a problem with Ezio's very liberal interpretation of the Creed and, let's just say, moral flexibility (that crops up time and time again, beyond the most flagrant examples), like that. Because his difficult relationship with the cause and interpretation of the Assassin teachings is at the very core of his arc through the game and one of the main differences between him and Altair. He's simply not a model Assassin, never was and in the end that individualism and free thinking is exactly what allows him to give up the fight and live his own life for himself at last.

I don't know, maybe I give the game too much credit. I think Revelations' Ezio is a multifaceted, flawed person. A person who can speak and impart wisdom from a position of authority, while also proving himself to be as fallible and hypocritical as anyone else. Those two things don't cancel each other out or diminish the character as a whole, on the contrary, they make him more believable in my eyes. Is Revelations wrong for only touching upon these themes, instead of digging into them as the future games in the series did? Yes, perhaps. But like I said, I found the handling decent enough.

• MiamiViceCity, The N. Bellic Man, Wu-Tang Forever and 2 others like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:57 AM

I've started playing with spoken Italian and English subtitles. It's definitely much more immersive now and authentic like I'm actually living the time.
  • AndyGanteks, HaythamKenway, Wu-Tang Forever and 2 others like this

KratosDrake
  • KratosDrake

Snazzy and shiny that's how I roll

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:05 PM Edited by KratosDrake, 16 May 2017 - 11:01 PM.

EDIT: Ignore this post, dumb comment that I made while distracted.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:47 PM Edited by Journey_95, 15 May 2017 - 09:48 PM.

Like the others here I love the Ezio Trilogy. Ezio's character development throughout the games is great to see. It was "milking" done right (since Ezio wasn't supposed to have more than one game), Brotherhood and Revelations especially explored his character more and made him really memorable.

Since then I only liked Black Flag (great pirate game + interesting outsider perspective regarding the Assassin's vs Templar conflict) though and wish we would have gotten a sequel with Edward. Apart from Ezio definitely my favourite protagonist, he felt very human and flawed.

I remember AC3 being a huge disappointment. The father (Haytham, who should have been the protagonist) was a much more interesting character than Connor, the MD plot was a mess, Connor felt like Forrest Gump who went from one important event to another etc.

Unity and Syndicate were just bland with bad stories and lackluster character who no one willremember. The gameplay became even more streamlined (climbing is basically just holding a button now) too.

I hope Origins can be good again but I'm sceptical. Ubisoft always hypes a lot but most of their games kind of suck

• Mister Pink and Payne Killer like this

KratosDrake
  • KratosDrake

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:20 PM

Kinda unrelated to the whole point of the topic, but I found a interesting glitch in II:

I was on Sequence 9 in Venice on the district of Dorsoduro (that one where you kill Marco Barbarigo in Carnivale and which contains the last Assassin Tomb), looking for some feathers with the help of a site. I couldn't find one of the feathers (who was on the opposite side of the building the glitch happened), and decided to use the building as a kind of viewpoint. I noticed there was a guard once I was beginning to climb and decided to attack him on the roof. When I actually got to the roof, I noticed he transformed into two guards. Suddenly, in a blink of a eye, he multiplied into lots. I tried to kill them but noticed they were continuously respwaning. Eventually, my game crashed. When I tried to do it again, it failed.

Unfortunately, I don't have pics but have the location: Boot up a feather map of Dorsoduro and look for the building where the fourth feather right-to-left is. That is the one the glitch happened for me.

Bash me for being offtopic if you guys want.

Arthur Fookin Shelby
  • Arthur Fookin Shelby

Cave Canem

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:27 AM Edited by Arthur Fookin Shelby, 16 May 2017 - 10:28 AM.

A Feudal Japan game already exists. It is Assassin's Creed Chronicles China and the protagonist is Shao Jun, yes, the same one who was trained by Ezio himself.

5shO9op.png

• Street Mix, ClaudeSpeed1911, Furry_Monkey and 2 others like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Radioaktivität

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:24 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 16 May 2017 - 12:28 PM.

I like playing AC games but only to a point. I don't think their storytelling in the few titles I've played is that cohesive but I know it's improved. I dislike the animus stuff. I mean I thought it was a fresh idea up until II then just thought the whole thing was a farce. 

The menu UI is what really bugs me. I don't like the conflicting futuristic menu with the old setting. The menu also bugs me because it's like a poorly designed website. Harsh on the eye and not intuitive to navigate. 

Assassins Creed series had the potential to be one of my favourite series but I find the worlds to be kind of plastic like. Maybe it's the style of graphics or the fact I'm supposed to be in this simulator and a combination of the modern UI mixed with old world setting, it keeps breaking the any incline of immersive feelings I get.

I recently played Black Flag for the first time and I found it compelling.  I love the pirating feature which I first played in Rogue. It also makes me wonder why there isn't more open world games that are pirate themed with lots of action on the sea. So I think they were on the money there. 

I'll keep playing the series but only pick them up second hand. Would love these games if they just focused on the time/era and ditched the sci-fi angle. Just put me in the world and let me get immersed and lost in it. 

And "Origins" really? I'm always skeptical of titles devoid of any originality. But I suppose that's the marketing department that gets to name the game now. 

• ClaudeSpeed1911 likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

Assassins always were dirty terrorists who used their Creed as an empty-in-practice convenient noble guise to justify their deplorable deeds. Ezio Auditore was a sinister shadow interventionist who should not be celebrated and venerated.

Okay, dropping the roleplaying, the Cappadocia and similar events specifically - I didn't see Ezio's actions as contradictory out of omission or writer's oversight, but intentionally, though perhaps too understated. They were completely in character, just recontextualized when compared to his previous outings. While Ezio is indeed wisened and more thoughtful compared to the Assassin general he was in the previous game, he's still not a sage, which is a characteristic repeatedly invoked throughout the story (most evident in his interactions with Yusuf, who is basically just his young reflection - which is why they immediately click so well together despite years of experience setting them apart). He's not Yoda, camping out in the swamps of Dagobah, going on about how "wars not make one great", to use a handy Star Wars example. He's still a man of action, who prefers blunt approach to elegant subterfuge, as he always did.

While it would certainly be welcome if his actions were directly addressed in the text itself (to a degree Rogue or IV approached similar issues), I don't really have a problem with Ezio's very liberal interpretation of the Creed and, let's just say, moral flexibility (that crops up time and time again, beyond the most flagrant examples), like that. Because his difficult relationship with the cause and interpretation of the Assassin teachings is at the very core of his arc through the game and one of the main differences between him and Altair. He's simply not a model Assassin, never was and in the end that individualism and free thinking is exactly what allows him to give up the fight and live his own life for himself at last.

I don't know, maybe I give the game too much credit. I think Revelations' Ezio is a multifaceted, flawed person. A person who can speak and impart wisdom from a position of authority, while also proving himself to be as fallible and hypocritical as anyone else. Those two things don't cancel each other out or diminish the character as a whole, on the contrary, they make him more believable in my eyes. Is Revelations wrong for only touching upon these themes, instead of digging into them as the future games in the series did? Yes, perhaps. But like I said, I found the handling decent enough.

It's not the concept i'm against since i'm a sucker for flawed characters. It's why Edward, Shay and Connor are big favorites of mine but wherein their respective games digged deep into their mistakes and personalities revelations is content with having us murder and entire underground city and then root for Ezio to have his revenge a sequence later [and the person he's avenging, Yusuf, died because of him anyhow]. Ezio doesn't just have a liberal interpretation of the creed similar to Edward who sort of fits it into his own personal philosophy by his end game epiphany he breaks all three tenants. He murders the innocent, he makes a big fuss about his arrival and makes the enemy perfectly aware of what they're dealing with and ultimately compromised the brotherhood by putting Sofia ahead of the brotherhood and resulting in Yusuf getting shanked.

This would have been fantastic to see done well and to subvert player expectations; instead of the typical ''brash young man turned wise old mentor'' we'd get a person who's so tired of fighting in a never ending struggle, causing him to slowly unravel bit by bit till he's barely an assassin in name. A character we've known and loved for two games turning into a broken man. But what the game ultimately does is treat him as that wise old mentor and refuse to dig deeper into his actions or their repercussions. It's god damn hilarious how he ends up scolding an assassin recruit for killing an innocent bystander in one of the missions before proceeding to cause mass death twice in the game. The problem isn't the events themselves but as you noted, the way they were handled.

I'd have honestly preferred they handled Ezio the generic way rather than having an inconsistent character assassination going on.

I like playing AC games but only to a point. I don't think their storytelling in the few titles I've played is that cohesive but I know it's improved. I dislike the animus stuff. I mean I thought it was a fresh idea up until II then just thought the whole thing was a farce. 

The menu UI is what really bugs me. I don't like the conflicting futuristic menu with the old setting. The menu also bugs me because it's like a poorly designed website. Harsh on the eye and not intuitive to navigate. 

Assassins Creed series had the potential to be one of my favourite series but I find the worlds to be kind of plastic like. Maybe it's the style of graphics or the fact I'm supposed to be in this simulator and a combination of the modern UI mixed with old world setting, it keeps breaking the any incline of immersive feelings I get.

I recently played Black Flag for the first time and I found it compelling.  I love the pirating feature which I first played in Rogue. It also makes me wonder why there isn't more open world games that are pirate themed with lots of action on the sea. So I think they were on the money there. 

I'll keep playing the series but only pick them up second hand. Would love these games if they just focused on the time/era and ditched the sci-fi angle. Just put me in the world and let me get immersed and lost in it. 

And "Origins" really? I'm always skeptical of titles devoid of any originality. But I suppose that's the marketing department that gets to name the game now. 

I dislike the animus as well and wish they would get rid of it too since it limits the franchise to a certain point but one of its few net positives is immersion IMO. They have in game explanations for things like death, respawn, HUDs, pause menus etc and that helps a lot with putting you there.

• Mister Pink and HaythamKenway like this

KratosDrake
  • KratosDrake

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:03 PM Edited by KratosDrake, 16 May 2017 - 11:03 PM.

A Feudal Japan game already exists. It is Assassin's Creed Chronicles China and the protagonist is Shao Jun, yes, the same one who was trained by Ezio himself.

5shO9op.png
Lol mate, sorry, I was distracted when I posted that. I edited the post now.
  • gajrajgchouhan, Arthur Fookin Shelby and Leftist Bastard like this

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

Time moves forward, nothing changes.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

I've been playing Brotherhood and Revelations again, so much fun. These two have the best combat of any Ass Creed game, Rogue was nice but short and simple, in a good/bad way. Has some flaws but it holds up, worth a playthrough or two.
  • Street Mix, Wu-Tang Forever, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 1 other like this

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hey, I finally saw the movie! And I thought it was okay. It focused way too much on the modern day aspect for my liking (and I hated how during the historical action scenes, it kept cutting back to Cal doing the moves in the Animus claw thing) and the historical segments were too few and far between, but overall I found it enjoyable and interesting enough. And the cast... what a great cast. Overall it kinda felt like a decent starting point to make a much improved sequel from. Which is really appropriate, considering how the game series started :p

I've also been really getting into Unity, and yeah, for all its flaws I still think it's an awesome game. I've mainly been grinding for better equipment, and now I've got Arno decked out in all 5-star gear (except the pistol, which is a 4 and still gets the job done). It's kind of a double-edged sword, as it makes things much easier, especially if you're like me and trying to do everything in chronological order (for some reason, they made Women's March, which is the earliest-set co-op mission, one of the hardest! Weird). But on the other hand, it kinda robs the combat of that unique feel. Unity's combat is something I liked early on for emphasizing that you're a sneaky cloak-and-dagger type, but with fully upgraded gear (and enough health and melee upgrades), it goes back to old habits of mashing buttons and exploiting weaknesses until you win. I can't complain too much, as I still find the combat system fun and satisfying. 

• HaythamKenway and Leftist Bastard like this

OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick
  • OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick, 4 weeks ago.

Assassin's Creed 3 is now backward compatible for Xbox One as of today. To my knowledge, every main Assassin's Creed game is now playable on the Xbox One.

• HaythamKenway, Wu-Tang Forever and dante財閥 like this

dante財閥
  • dante財閥

財閥

• Members
  • France

Posted 4 weeks ago

AC III was such a baller game, f*ck the haters.

• Wu-Tang Forever likes this

Synthol
  • Synthol

You're not bulletproof

• Members
  • Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 4 weeks ago

Tbh i'm not THAT big on AC2. It was a big step up from AC1 in many ways [and a step back in a few ways, but still] it was gorgeous and engaging and I spent a tone of time with it but I simply think its successors [Brotherhood, III, IV, Rogue] are better games. Still good though.

Only AC game I genuinely think is trash has to be Revelations.

Brotherhood was an excellent game, it was more or less the same game as AC2 but the setting and story were just that much better. The MP was extremely unique and addicting too, it completely caught me by surprise as I had no idea how an MP would work in AC, too bad no one cares about AC MP anymore though.

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Wu-Tang Forever, 4 weeks ago.

Assassin's Creed 3 is now backward compatible for Xbox One as of today. To my knowledge, every main Assassin's Creed game is now playable on the Xbox One.

W-what?!

God, I'm f*cking ecstatic right now. For all its flaws, this is my favorite game in the series, and I've always been keeping an eye to see if it would become BC ever since I first got my XB1 around Christmas '15. And now it finally is. 

Now I'm somewhat torn. After Unity I was planning on playing through The Ezio Collection, but III is awfully tempting. The Frontier, those awesome recreations of Colonial Boston and New York, the epic storyline and characters, the soundtrack, the surprisingly even-handed depiction of the American Revolution. That would especially be nice after going through Unity's somewhat lackluster (to say the least) treatment of the French Revolution. I'm not gonna lie, I even have a blast with the gameplay, as linear as the missions mostly are and as rough around the edges as it can be. Anyway, it'll probably be The Ezio Collection (to continue my belated playthrough of the series in historical chronological order), but who knows. I just love III to bits.

... though I've gotta say, it'll probably be funny playing through it after getting into Hamilton. I'll keep expecting Charles Lee to go "I'm a General, wheee!!!!!!" and Lafayette to start rapping "Guns and Ships" haha.

And yep, now every main AC game is playable on XB1, between BC and The Ezio Collection (it's still so weird to me that they haven't made Brotherhood BC yet but skipped to Revelations, but I digress, and since I've got the collection it doesn't matter to me anyway). But I'm still holding out for BC Liberation. It wasn't one of the series' best, but I still found it to be a really cool little game (especially for what started as a handheld spinoff), with an awesome protagonist and setting. 

• HaythamKenway likes this

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

While AC3 was an enjoyable game for the most part, it was really ruined by the awful protagonist, Connor. He was such a whiny b!tch the entire game. So annoying. I greatly prefer the more humorous and fun Edward and Jacob as my favorite protagonists. So much more fun to play as. 

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 4 weeks ago

AC3 was objectively terrible and embarrassing.

you want a controversial opinion?

Assassin's Creed Unity and Syndicate are the best games in the entire series after 1 and 2.

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Assassin's Creed Unity and Syndicate are the best games in the entire series after 1 and 2.

While I wouldn't put Unity at the top (started off strong, then lost its steam as the game progressed), I do agree that Syndicate is the best AC game yet. Definitely the most fun I've had in an AC game and also the best protagonists so far in Evie and Jacob. Although I hated the awkward and forced love relationship that Evie and Henry had. Take that crap out of the game and you have a very very strong game. 

dante財閥
  • dante財閥

財閥

• Members
  • France

Posted 4 weeks ago

That's not a controversial opinion it's just a false statement. Black Flag is the best game in the series to be honest. But I've enjoyed every single AC game without fail.

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

That's not a controversial opinion it's just a false statement. Black Flag is the best game in the series to be honest. But I've enjoyed every single AC game without fail.

Great protagonist, but I HATED the naval combat. Almost ruined the game for me because of how heavily the game relies on naval combat. Also, maybe a tad too long for an AC game. Although I enjoyed the nice ending of Edward and his daughter reuniting. Cool how they connect it back to AC3 at the end as well.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'll agree that Black Flag was great and I enjoyed the naval combat but basically Black Flag was not an Assassin's Creed game; only in name.

it was just Pirate Simulator 2013. it felt nothing like AC. the same could be said for Rogue.

as far as real Assassin's Creed are concerned?

the first 2 games are the best. after that it's Unity and Syndicate which were surprisingly excellent; much better than the couple of games that followed Ezio around after number 2. those weren't bad either but they were kind of forgettable. Brotherhood was better than Revelations.

I've played through them all but AC 3 and Connor were by far the worst.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users