Quantcast

» «
Photo

New DYOM era survey/discussion

95 replies to this topic

Poll: GTA Underground DYOM survey voting (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you make a transition to GTA Underground DYOM?

1. Yes (90 votes [82.57%])

Percentage of vote: 82.57%

2. No (19 votes [17.43%])

Percentage of vote: 17.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

DYOM mission designer/user

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:33 AM Edited by Jimmy_Leppard, 21 August 2016 - 09:43 AM.

Hi guys. 

This is an official survey/discussion topic about the potential verge of a new DYOM era - the GTA Underground DYOM era. I would respectfully ask and encourage everyone in this community to take a couple of minutes of their time to read this from top to bottom and give honest view about what I'm going to lay out to you guys.

First off, for those who don't know, GTA Underground is a relatively new GTA SA mod which is currently in development. It combines all GTA 3D era cities (Vice City, Liberty City, San Andreas) into one huge map, plus it will include several other maps made by R* which were used in their other games once the mod is fully finished. Link to the official GTA Underground topic where you can download and how to install the mod is here - http://gtaforums.com...mod-discussion/

Now, I believe this has become big enough news to start thinking ahead. I think DYOM is on a verge of a new era. A much more enhanced, more appealing, numerous-possibility-offering era, but only if we, as a whole community, want to make it happen. GTA Underground would provide new cities to move our mission packs to. It would give them a new look and a new feel which a regular GTA SA can't provide on its own, logically. The thing is, GTA Underground is a huge mod and requires some time to download it. It brings a much bigger load to the game and if people out there have a lower powered PC, it will cause lag and crashes. That poses the question, is it worth to download a mod that's around 3 GB in size with a potential of numerous crashes and inability to play it smoothly? Also, another problem is that it requires a specific, 1.0 version of GTA SA to run it smoothly and if you don't have the 1.0 version, it's a bit more complicated to install the mod, but I won't get into the installation process here as this topic isn't about installing the mod. There is a detailed explanation on how to install it in the link I provided at the beginning of this post.

The core of this topic is - are we, as a community, able to make a transition from GTA SA powered DYOM mod to a GTA Underground powered DYOM mod? That's what I want you to give your honest view about. I also put a poll for you to vote whether or not you would make a transition and make/play the missions that need GTA Underground to do so. Please vote, but also please post your view in the comment, don't just vote without an explanation as it's a serious decision.

If you ask me, DYOM would sure welcome something new to spark it up again and GTA Underground gives us the perfect opportunity to do so. However, due to the potential installation problem and bluntly just making it work on everyone's PC raises a question ''Is it necessary?''. Personally, I think it is. DYOM has given me a lot of good friends, enjoyable people to be around, a positive surroundings and a ton of good memories over the years I've been a part of this community and it is hard to read some of the comments that don't find DYOM enjoyable anymore. I can't speak for Patrick and Dutchy, but I think they would also be proud if we made DYOM even more popular and maybe, just maybe they would even find the time to push DYOM further into releasing another version. However, it can't be done if most of the community isn't willing or isn't capable of making a transition as DYOM would practically die out due to majority of people being unable to make or play GTA Underground DYOM missions. A few people transitioning serves no purpose. In order for this to work, a vast majority would have to want to make a transition.

I want to know where we are and whether or not you guys think DYOM community is able to make such a transition, especially senior designers as we should be the backbone of that transition and the helping hand to new designers. If we do make the transition, it could make DYOM more popular than ever or bury it.
  • cosmys, Gummy , dkluin and 8 others like this

Light Syde Riandy
  • Light Syde Riandy

LSR

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:50 AM

Nah, not everyone has excellent PC. Besides, what if someone has an urgent problem for their PC such as hard drive failure? And that someone never for once run backup? They will have no choice other than downloading the same mod which could take hours just as the first time when they download this modification. 

• Casualmind and GET REKT like this

GET REKT
  • GET REKT

WEGO WEGO WEGO!! TUTUTTUTUT!

• Members
  • Macedonia

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:51 AM

yeah. I want DYOM on GTA Undeground, i have 4 GB On my PC So it will work?

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:57 AM

Nah, not everyone has excellent PC. Besides, what if someone has an urgent problem for their PC such as hard drive failure? And that someone never for once run backup? They will have no choice other than downloading the same mod which could take hours just as the first time when they download this modification. 

Yes, there is a concern about that, no question, I addessed it myself, but there are external devices which people can use to save bigger stuff on so they don't have to download it again such as a bigger sized USB, a CD, DVD or an external hard drive. However, downloading the mod is a far less of a concern than actually installing and being able to run the mod smoothly.

Yes, it would be enough if you have the GTA SA 1.0 version.

• GET REKT likes this

GET REKT
  • GET REKT

WEGO WEGO WEGO!! TUTUTTUTUT!

• Members
  • Macedonia

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:02 AM

Yes, there is a concern about that, no question, I addessed it myself, but there are external devices which people can use to save bigger stuff on so they don't have to download it again such as a bigger sized USB, a CD, DVD or an external hard drive. However, downloading the mod is a far less of a concern than actually installing and being able to run the mod smoothly.

Yes, it would be enough if you have the GTA SA 1.0 version.

I don"t check the GTA SA version, i don"t know. I installed the cracked version. And i have GTA San Andreas on my CD. And installed my GTA SA with CD

Target13
  • Target13

• Members
  • Netherlands
  • DYOM Mission of the Year 2013 [No Age Limit]

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

Thanks to Fallout 4, I've been upgrading my PC slowly for well over an year now and I don't expect to encounter problems with installing and running GTA Underground.

That being said, Yes I am willing to make the transition from San Andreas to Underground. Seeing as I am now trying to expand my self made "Target13 Universe" in DYOM, the inclusion of new cities would make a drastic difference. New places to expand lore and storytelling, not only this but creative designers can take advantage of the new cities to tell stories like they couldn't have been told before in San Andreas. For example the Mafia genre would flourish in Liberty City.

DYOM today is turning very bland and repetitive, this is not necessarily the designer's fault but the circumstances instead.
The San Andreas map is big but not big enough to keep DYOM fresh for so long, It's been eight years since the release of DYOM, most stories have already been told, most of the map has already been used, new ideas are fading.

I honestly believe that GTA Underground will motivate many designers to get back to writing and designing.

Heck, maybe I'll ignore my girlfriend for once and start designing missions more frequently.

• Jimmy_Leppard, dkluin, Casualmind and 3 others like this

Light Syde Riandy
  • Light Syde Riandy

LSR

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:36 AM Edited by Light Syde Riandy, 21 August 2016 - 11:39 AM.

What about older projects that can only be played with a specific total conversion mod? I don't know if I can install more than one total conversion in San Andreas game. And don't tell me if I have to create a copy of a clean game folder into "Hard Drive: D", mod my San Andreas on "C" with "DYOM + GTA Underground", and mod the copied game folder with "GTA United and a standalone DYOM mod.

So the conclusion is... I need these two different DYOM mods for this task? This is a mess!
  • GET REKT likes this

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:41 AM

Developers said mods should be compatible with GTA Underground, but what concerns me more is if someone makes a DYOM mission with GTA Underground 2.1 mod, will it be playable with newer GTA Underground mod and vice versa. That's why I called it a ''new era''. However, I do have two GTA SA folders on my PC. I keep one clean and the copied one has GTA Underground in it, so I just switch between the two, depending on which version of GTA SA I need. It uses double the HD space, but it's a way to go.

It is a huge decision, there is no question about it.

• GET REKT likes this

Curtis
  • Curtis

it should be rather flattering to win Worst Group

• Daily Globe
  • Netherlands
  • Best Kitchen Appliance 2016

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:20 PM Edited by Bender, 21 August 2016 - 03:21 PM.

I don't know how it'd be viewed as a "new era". Underground is just like San Vice or United. Some designers use those mods for their stories and some don't.

and AFAIK, you don't have to have a supercomputer to run Underground.

• Ruvix likes this

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:35 PM Edited by Jimmy_Leppard, 21 August 2016 - 03:36 PM.

Yeah, that's true, but since San Vice and GTA United weren't that much represented in DYOM, it was just ''looked over''.

What I meant by ''new era'' is that there is a big possibility that GTA Underground could set the new bar, making it something like mandatory side-mod to DYOM as most of the community would use the Underground mod to make missions. Then people wouldn't be able to play most of DYOM missions until they have Underground installed. Like I said in the first post, if only a couple of people transition to Underground and only they see it as mandatory, then it could very well just die out or be neglected just like San Vice or GTA United.

DYOM can run without Underground and also since Underground is such a huge mod which takes a while to download, most of the people maybe won't feel the need to download it which would restrict us back to GTA SA core game. That's why I'm constantly referring to ''community transition''. I mean, is there a point in making a mission pack if it's only for 2-3 people? You know what I'm saying?

As for the supercomputer part, I agree, but then you have someone like Rendy who obviously simply couldn't run it. That's why I wanted to see what senior designers think. I mean, with Underground in the picture, many people may start to feel it's too much work to play the missions and that wouldn't be good.

Target13
  • Target13

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:18 PM

The main reason San Vice and United are looked over is because of their instability during Designing and the fact that there are very few missions for them.

If there were more missions taking advantage of these mods, then more users would take the time to download and install them, but currently not many users are interested in downloading a large mod just for a few good missions.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:38 PM

Yeah, that's true aswell. That's why I opened a discussion so we can maybe get the community interested in this so that the Underground mod doesn't suffer the same faith as San Vice or United.

SatournFan
  • SatournFan

eh

• The Yardies
  • Russia

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:50 PM

...as most of the community would use the Underground mod to make missions...

do you actually believe this yourself? people will play a bit with Underground, like they did with United, and then abandon it just like any other big mod. I know I will, and I'm pretty sure that many others will do the same. a side modification will not keep this place alive for long, a new version of DYOM will, but from the looks of it we're not getting it anytime soon. so yeah, calling this 'a new era' is a bit over the top

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:55 PM

That's a fair enough assumption. Of course I don't think a lot of people will use the mod instantly and for sure not with the things as they are now, but that's why I wanted to see what people think. That's why I said in the first post that transitioning to Underground would either make DYOM more popular than ever before or bury it/ruin it. By the poll votes so far, I think it's safe to say that sticking with the GTA SA core game is the best bet.

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:50 PM

We'll have to see if "Underground" is stable or not,otherwise it's a no.

Like Target13 said,there's the reason why San Vice and United were not often used for DYOM,it's too unstable.

Alan Eastwood
  • Alan Eastwood

Hazardous Environments

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:51 PM Edited by Alan Eastwood, 21 August 2016 - 06:05 PM.

I would love to make that big transition, but like the others said, people wouldn't install two things to play a few missions and later abandoning it.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

I already tested Underground completely and it's fully stable. I tried loading older missions on a new map and it works. I also tried making missions around other cities and it works just like it does in the original game, so no worries there. New version they're preparing to release should be even better.

Alan Eastwood
  • Alan Eastwood

Hazardous Environments

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

Maybe if we make in someway DYOM like it was before, with new and large cities, just look at the posibilities and we're gonna do nothing about it?

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

Well, when you look at it objectively, both Target and SatournFan had good points. There is no question about it as neither can be disputed at the moment. However, the poll shows that almost the same number of people is accepting and rejecting the concept and for valid reasons.

To be honest, I have a plan for making a mission pack, maybe even several mission packs using the Underground mod as it's a great opportunity to expand. However, if people aren't welcoming that idea, maybe it's just not the right time. I'm sure other designers would make a mission pack or two aswell, but my opinion is that there is no point in wasting possibly many good stories and a good mission pack ideas if people wouldn't play them for the most part.

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

My friend,that's purely subjective.You've people that can't even load the game,because it seems like they've difficulties in reading basic instruction.So how would you think that this mod will attract people?

I'm not saying that these people are incapable of thought,but looking back from the Underground thread,it seems like they can't think properly :/.

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

I addressed that aswell. It is also a concern, of course. That's why I am somewhat sceptical, otherwise I wouldn't open up a discussion. But, I guess like I said, there is a bigger possibility DYOM would die out if the transition happened.

• Mr.Arrow likes this

Notna
  • Notna

It's clobberin' time!

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:31 PM

More than willing to give it a shot. If someone makes a mission pack on GTA Underground, hit me up and I'll go for a test drive.

• Jimmy_Leppard likes this

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Hmmmm..

Is Underground going to be a stand-alone mod?Danny could implement an installer.

Target13
  • Target13

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:35 PM

See the thing is, whether we like it or not the majority of DYOM Designers today live in a place where fast internet is rare. I'm not trying to offend anyone but this is a fact.

Seeing as these are the circumstances, these designers would have a lot of difficulty getting their hands on the Mod and rather stick with the core San Andreas game. That being said, these designers also make up most of the actual players.

With these users not having the mod, the missions that are made for Underground wouldn't be played as much as a core San Andreas DYOM mission would.

• Light Syde Riandy likes this

Jimmy_Leppard
  • Jimmy_Leppard

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

My point exactly. It's an unfortunate shame.

• Light Syde Riandy likes this

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Daily Globe
  • Serbia
  • Contribution Award [DYOM]

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:34 AM Edited by AnDReJ98, 22 August 2016 - 12:37 AM.

All i could add to this discussion has already been said. 

But to add on Target's part: Here's another reason why people don't/didn't use United & San Vice that much. It's lack of DYOM's features. As we already know, besides random crashes & instability, browsing interiors, objects and some of the weapons is also unavailable in United/San Vice. It's because these two conversions are not optimized for DYOM (as they are not meant for it at all), just like most of total conversions. We can say that we are lucky to even be able to use San Vice or United as it wasn't even meant for DYOM in the first place. They are one of the rare total conversions to work with DYOM. However, it's the whole different story when it comes to GTA Underground. Creator had DYOM in mind when starting GTA Underground to make it compatible, so we can consider this as a relief. Still, there is a lot to do and reconsider. Let's wait and see Patrick & Dutchy's response when they get interested in this. If they do get interested at all.

• Target13 likes this

Huzaifa khan
  • Huzaifa khan

♠♠The Gangsta‘♠♠

• Members
  • Pakistan
  • DYOM Mission of the Year 2016 [Code Of Silence]

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:15 AM

Well, I want to see a great transition to Gta underground. Simple is that! The only way to get back my Dyom motivation. :D

Topaz17
  • Topaz17

DYOM name: adidas78 (currently mildly inactive)

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:36 AM

I have installed GTA: Underground recently, and I have to say it has its shares of both good and bad. Since GTA SA has its map limits, a built-in limit adjuster has to be used when travelling between cities which causes lag on its own (although very brief lag). Radio stations are also switched from the ones in SA to the appropriate city, for example when you travel from Los Santos to Vice City, all the San Andreas radio stations (K-DST, Radio Los Santos, SF-UR etc.) are switched to the ones from Vice City and Vice City Stories (V-Rock, Flash FM etc.), which is, of course, realistic, but also very buggy at this point. The time cycle and weather also slightly change. Another bug that i've noticed is you can't use any sort of clothes changing wardrobe (both the clothes shops and safe houses wardrobes) because the game crashes instantly. Some of the cities are also still in development and are not solid and have invisible textures although they show up on maps. GTA: Underground has great potential, but due to the current state of the mod itself, I personally would not make the transition just yet. I would prefer to use GTA United for missions set in Vice City and Liberty City, but that's just me. My final vote is No. 

Target13
  • Target13

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:48 AM

GTA: Underground has great potential, but due to the current state of the mod itself, I personally would not make the transition just yet. I would prefer to use GTA United for missions set in Vice City and Liberty City, but that's just me. My final vote is No. 

Well this whole discussion is about transitioning over to Underground when it's completed of course, not when it's still in it's development state.

Topaz17
  • Topaz17

DYOM name: adidas78 (currently mildly inactive)

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:06 AM Edited by Topaz17, 22 August 2016 - 09:08 AM.

I didn't read the full topic, so I guess I gotta hand it to you there. However, it may take a while until it is fully completed and its playability is as good as the regular game or United.
Right now it is suitable for making DYOM missions since most of them don't interfere with currently buggy aspects of the mod. With development going on, however, new things like interiors, gangs and such may be added which will increase the possibilities and potential of the missions made in GTA Underground.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users