Photo

Photosensitive Epilepsy Trigger Warning

6 replies to this topic
Michael
  • Michael

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:18 AM

I see avatars, signatures or images on the forums with flashing patterns that may trigger seizures in people with photosensitive epilepsy. I'm not sure how much people are on the forums who may have photosensitive epilepsy and I'm not sure how much this would help for them, but my suggestion is that there should be an official note at the forum rules where people are suggested not to use any avatars or signatures with flashing lights or patterns anymore, and if they do use images who may trigger an seizure in their posts, then they should put in a spoiler with a note above saying that the following image may trigger people with photosensitive epilepsy. I think the forums should be a safe place for everyone. Also, I have heard that images which have a lot of flashing lights may cause migraine attacks too.

Photosensitive epilepsy is a form of epilepsy in which seizures are triggered by visual stimuli that form patterns in time or space, such as flashing lights, bold, regular patterns, or regular moving patterns.

• lpgunit, Junior_Djjr, PhillBellic and 3 others like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:58 AM

If you see these please do report them as staff will gladly remove them or otherwise hide them.
  • PhillBellic, JZFB, HalfOfAKebab and 1 other like this

Michael
  • Michael

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:15 AM Edited by Bleached, 14 August 2016 - 11:16 AM.

If you see these please do report them as staff will gladly remove them or otherwise hide them.

I'll keep that in mind for the next time. Thank you. :)
  • PhillBellic and Darth Absentis like this

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci
  • Philippines

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:24 AM

Good call, as we obviously don't want a repeat of that Pokemon incident in Japan some time in the late 90s I believe.
  • blaze, Bender, Rejeckted and 2 others like this

paperbagdude
  • paperbagdude

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) J U I C E

• Members
  • Denmark
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:03 PM

I am certainly not writing this to sound aggressive towards those suffering from photosensitive epilepsy, but everyone knows that browsing the internet has its risks. You can be disturbed, scammed, abused, lied to, scared, get computer viruses and for some down the road - seizures.

Why I am writing this is to state that I believe everyone should have the right and freedom to post what images they want and have any avatar and signature as long the current set of rules allow it. Just because, let's say, 1% of the members on this forum suffers from photosensitive epilepsy or have had a history of it, doesn't mean that the remaining 99% should be prohibited to use images with flashing graphics etc.

If potiential or directly epileptic images on this forum worry those suffering, why not advise them to give up on the internet all at once since even major popular sites such as YouTube and Facebook are literally rigged with epileptic content that beyond rarely has any warning.

• Voit Turyv likes this

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

If potiential or directly epileptic images on this forum worry those suffering, why not advise them to give up on the internet all at once since even major popular sites such as YouTube and Facebook are literally rigged with epileptic content that beyond rarely has any warning.

That's like telling somebody not to drive a car because they might crash - the chances are slimmer than people think when the correct amount of caution is exercised - you can have a safe experience without constantly looking away through fear of a seizure-inducing event popping up in episode 269 of a Minecraft Let's Play. I'm certainly not speaking on behalf of the billions of people online but I can't say they come up very often.

I'm all for it, but mainly because flashy graphics are obnoxious and unnecessary.

• lpgunit, JZFB, Darth Absentis and 1 other like this

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci
  • Philippines

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

That's like telling somebody not to drive a car because they might crash - the chances are slimmer than people think when the correct amount of caution is exercised - you can have a safe experience without constantly looking away through fear of a seizure-inducing event popping up in episode 269 of a Minecraft Let's Play. I'm certainly not speaking on behalf of the billions of people online but I can't say they come up very often.

I'm all for it, but mainly because flashy graphics are obnoxious and unnecessary.

As what I was thinking. This ain't Encyclopedia Dramatica; the staff here obviously wants us all to exercise constraint and be mindful of what we post, and that includes images.
  • Michael likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users