Movies you like but everyone hates

134 replies to this topic
Vik
  • Vik

Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death

• Van Society
  • None

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:01 PM

I like em all, but I feel like 2 gets mistaken for a bad movie. Its poor compared to the better MCU movies, but its a decent action movie by itself.

It's an OK, but extremely flawed movie. The biggest issues with Iron Man 2 is its pace, lack of villain expansion, plot holes, bit of filler, and large plate to cover for 2 hour timeframe. Often times I would watch Iron Man 2 and say "What? Why would they put that type of content in it when X would be more effective?". Scenes like when Hammer helps Rhodey to equip the Mark 2 suit with weaponry was useless, rather they could have spent more time Ivan or whatever his name was. Same goes for the scene where Ivan has a meal with Hammer. They could have developed a much better arc without Ivan himself. Also what was with the whole Tony dying to his arc becoming less effective arc? That was totally useless. The best superhero movies gives the same amount of attention to the antagonist as they do to the protagonist. Then they had to set up SHIELD for The Avengers, which brought its own arc. Pretty sure Jon Favreau had less creative control as the result of this, as it shows that if he DOES get control, the movies he can make are great (Chef, Jungle Book, etc).

Can't deny the action scenes were fun as hell though, but it was just a passable film compared to the first Iron Man. Don't understand the argument (if its presented) that it's supposed to be a popcorn/fun movie (ala Suicide Squad or Fast 7). I don't go to the movie theater to watch something mindlessly, I enjoy understanding the characters' motives and how that can impact the narrative.

• Mister Pink likes this

Milfrah
  • Milfrah

Bad Mommy

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:23 AM

I probably like a lot of movies that not many people like.

Recently I watched the Adam Sandler movie "The Ridiculous 6". I could tell it was awful but I kind of liked it for that. I laughed like a damn fool the entire time I was watching it.

• Algonquin Assassin, Brick Top and The Deadite like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:30 PM

I probably like a lot of movies that not many people like.

Recently I watched the Adam Sandler movie "The Ridiculous 6". I could tell it was awful but I kind of liked it for that. I laughed like a damn fool the entire time I was watching it.

The only Adam Sandler movie I think is truly awful is Jack And Jill. His movies tend to have a certain charm to them that most reviewers don't seem to get.

Ok he's not quite like he was in the Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison days, but I'd be lying if I said that I don't get a laugh from them in general.
  • Milfrah likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:55 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 07 December 2016 - 01:57 PM.

I really loved Under The Skin. 

It's a film rated highly by critics but not by audience on RT. (ie. not for casuals :p).

• Richard Power Colt and gtaoplayer like this

Arrow
  • Arrow

Good Life

• Facade
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:38 PM

All Iron Man movies, BTTF & Suicide Squad. I'm not someone who usually involves himself in the movie beef amongst other but I believe the above were some of the best movies I've seen.

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:10 AM

Jingle All the Way. Got bad reviews, but I still love watching it, especially in his time of year.
  • Wu-Tang Forever, iBUCKEYE, Indy007 and 1 other like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:46 PM

All Iron Man movies, BTTF & Suicide Squad...

The Back To The Future movies are the apotheosis of beloved m8, even the third part is fairly liked despite being... well you know, the third part to a beloved saga.
  • Payne Killer likes this

Halal Cyborg
  • Halal Cyborg

Junglist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:13 PM

I really enjoyed "Knowing" with Cage...terrible reviews and everyone I know hates it 😂

Honestly do not get why...

p182354_p_v8_ai.jpg
  • Raavi, iBUCKEYE and otachi like this

Indy007
  • Indy007

I'm kind of a rebel. I open chip bags from the bottom.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:15 AM

Ghostbusters II

Batman Forever

Jurassic Park III (it's a love-hate relationship I have)

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Licence to Kill

​Die Another Day

Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

A View to a Kill

Planet of the Apes (2001)

Cowboys & Aliens

• Wu-Tang Forever and The Deadite like this

DieselFuelOnly
  • DieselFuelOnly

"What impertinence! I shall purge you at once!"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:55 AM

Wild Wild West  :cool: 

esploderspoder.gif

wdgxnhgtfrula.jpg

• Algonquin Assassin, Indy007, Femme Fatale and 5 others like this

Indy007
  • Indy007

I'm kind of a rebel. I open chip bags from the bottom.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

Wild Wild West  :cool: 

esploderspoder.gif

wdgxnhgtfrula.jpg

Oh, yes! I had forgotten about that one!
  • DieselFuelOnly likes this

RANDOMv2
  • RANDOMv2

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:38 PM

Six-String Samurai.  Very under-rated apocalyptic, sci-fi action movie.  Good one-liners, awesome fight scenes, decent soundtrack.  Jeff Falcon needs to make a comeback.  No one seems to like this film but me.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:27 PM Edited by RogerWho, 31 December 2016 - 09:48 AM.

Adding Suicide Squad to my list. It appears to be more of a 'love it or hate it' affair rather than universally hated - well I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it. Maybe I just had low expectations or all the hot ladies made me blind to the flaws, but in general I appreciate that a superhero (sort of) movie does things differently. These days, when I can't tell a difference between Thor 2, Man of Steel or Star Trek Beyond because it's all the same plot, filmed in the same manner, this was a bit different at least. Also all the actors were amazing, loved them.

Spoiler

Anyway, looking through the responses, it seems nobody is with me on Star Wars Episode III? It's the only SW movie I sometimes rewatch casually. I do wish it was acted and directed better but there's still something I like about it. It's a unique story not just for SW but for any sci-fi/sci-fa I know and I really appreciate it.

Also it has the most badass SW music apart from the Imperial March.

Had the first part as my ringtone for years and I don't get tired of it.

And hey look what I found:

• Mister Pink, iBUCKEYE, Cameron Star and 2 others like this

Brick Top
  • Brick Top

Homie

• Members
  • France

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:02 AM

That Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai movie all my pals hated it or fell asleep while watching it. Well there was always a lot of booze & pot around while we where watching these old Dvd's but still I found it to be a decent movie. Nobody could quite relate I guess It's one of the roles I did really appreciate F.Whitaker in.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:30 PM

Around 2 months ago, Batman Forever came on TV.
I don't know what possessed me to watch it, but I did.
And for the life of me, I couldn't force myself to hate it.

There wasn't a single character who acted the way they should.
There weren't even 5 good lines in the whole thing.
There wasn't a single competent story thread.
It made no sense whatsoever.

But I enjoyed the sh*t out of watching it.
By all means, it has all the makings of a terrible film. And it really isn't a good movie

But I just couldn't hate it. It was like a little child who believed in Santa... I didn't have the heart to shatter its reality.

Batman Forever was a bad movie that knew it wasn't good but tried anyway.

It's so much fun watching bad movies that know they're bad. Like The Asylum movies.

Now when you watch a terrible movie that think its gonna be a big hit, that just makes you feel sad.

That's how poor Fant4stic died.
(Although, the director straight up disowned the movie days before the reviews came out. So they probably knew after the fact)
  • Mister Pink likes this

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

Since I'm not popular, I'll post on a video game forum

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

My big one is The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Yeah, nostalgia could be speaking (which it undoubtedly is in part), but I've marathoned the series several times as an adult, and I never felt that this was that much worse than the first. Yeah it differs wildly from the book, yeah it has protagonists who act like complete morons at times, yeah it has that godawful scene where an eight-year-old girl kills a Velociraptor with her madd gymnastics skillz, and yeah it could have done without the preachy King Kong "Man is the REAL monster" message, but overall I think this is a lot like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (hey look, another contested Spielberg sequel): It has its stupid moments, but when it's good, it's very good. I just love the whole darker and grimier atmosphere of Isla Sorna here, the amped-up dino action, Ian Malcolm as the protagonist, Roland Tembo, the soundtrack, and so many of the action scenes. I actually think this movie is really good proof of what a great director Spielberg is, because he directed this thing practically in his sleep, and it's still miles better than a lot of action/adventure films that have come out since. It's not perfect, but I don't think I'll ever really understand why people hate it so much. 

And I used to be a member of the "f*ck Jurassic Park III" camp, but I've cooled on it over time - it's the weakest of the series for sure, but it's still a lot of fun. Dr. Grant is back, William H. Macy is always a pleasure to watch, the Spinosaurus and Pteranodons kick some serious ass, and there are some really awesome and even creepy setpieces here. The birdcage is IMO one of the best scenes of the entire series, full stop.

Also, as the huge Bond fan that I am, I can't not mention that series. It's no secret that some films are much better than others, but it'll be quicker for me to say that I enjoy every one of them except Die Another Day, and even that has some redeeming moments, particularly the first act of the movie before it goes to Iceland and descends into frozen glacier wave windsurfing hell.

• The Deadite likes this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

My big one is The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Yeah, nostalgia could be speaking (which it undoubtedly is in part), but I've marathoned the series several times as an adult, and I never felt that this was that much worse than the first. Yeah it differs wildly from the book, yeah it has protagonists who act like complete morons at times, yeah it has that godawful scene where an eight-year-old girl kills a Velociraptor with her madd gymnastics skillz, and yeah it could have done without the preachy King Kong "Man is the REAL monster" message, but overall I think this is a lot like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (hey look, another contested Spielberg sequel): It has its stupid moments, but when it's good, it's very good. I just love the whole darker and grimier atmosphere of Isla Sorna here, the amped-up dino action, Ian Malcolm as the protagonist, Roland Tembo, the soundtrack, and so many of the action scenes. I actually think this movie is really good proof of what a great director Spielberg is, because he directed this thing practically in his sleep, and it's still miles better than a lot of action/adventure films that have come out since. It's not perfect, but I don't think I'll ever really understand why people hate it so much. 

And I used to be a member of the "f*ck Jurassic Park III" camp, but I've cooled on it over time - it's the weakest of the series for sure, but it's still a lot of fun. Dr. Grant is back, William H. Macy is always a pleasure to watch, the Spinosaurus and Pteranodons kick some serious ass, and there are some really awesome and even creepy setpieces here. The birdcage is IMO one of the best scenes of the entire series, full stop.

Huge fan of Jurassic Park and I feel the exact same way about the two sequels, I actually don't understand how some people think Jurassic Park III is better than The Lost World, both have their problems but TLW did more things right than the third. Particularly in terms of suspense and action scenes.

On another note, Jurassic World is another sequel needlessly dismissed as a B movie. I consider it just as good, if not better than TLW. The movie cleverly introduced new aspects to the franchise while staying faithful to the original, just like TLW did.
  • Wu-Tang Forever likes this

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

Since I'm not popular, I'll post on a video game forum

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

*snip*

Huge fan of Jurassic Park and I feel the exact same way about the two sequels, I actually don't understand how some people think Jurassic Park III is better than The Lost World, both have their problems but TLW did more things right than the third. Particularly in terms of suspense and action scenes.

On another note, Jurassic World is another sequel needlessly dismissed as a B movie. I consider it just as good, if not better than TLW. The movie cleverly introduced new aspects to the franchise while staying faithful to the original, just like TLW did.

Hey, same here! I was a bit skeptical of Jurassic World (as much as I was looking forward to it), and ended up loving it. Saw it in theaters twice, even.

Spoiler
  • Piggsy pls likes this

ShadowPerson
  • ShadowPerson

Intergalatic Empress of Evil.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:35 AM

*snip*

Hey, same here! I was a bit skeptical of Jurassic World (as much as I was looking forward to it), and ended up loving it. Saw it in theaters twice, even.

Spoiler

I know, its a nice payback for the terrible JP3 lol

Also, the nostalgia of the original locations was the best.

• Wu-Tang Forever and Piggsy pls like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:28 AM

*snip*

Spoiler
I actually saw it three times in theaters! It's the only movie I've actually followed from pre-production to finish. We waited 14 years for it after all. :p
  • Wu-Tang Forever likes this

Shakermaker
  • Shakermaker

Black Hole Sun

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:54 AM

All the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies (not couting the fourth film maybe).

• otachi likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

This may get me shunned by the entire civilization but I don't hate The Host (2013).

Maybe it's because I've seen it on a plane and I wasn't paying much attention but I found it interesting. Not the story, that was awful, but the visuals and the entire production was quite captivating. Silver bulletproof helicopters, sports cars and bikes, sterile cities and completely empty deserts all give the movie this surreal feel.

It's a movie that reminds me of dreams the most. If you take the time and think about the stuff that happened in the dream, it makes no sense, but it's still fun to remember all the weird stuff.

I suppose I wish better stories would be adapted in this way but since there aren't many of those, this isn't the worst thing ever.

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:39 PM

Not sure if people really hated it. Mostly underrated.

The Island.

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Your self proclaimed GTA forums DJ!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:57 AM

The Space Between Us. I've been folowing the movie for about a year now it was enjoyable

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

The Space Between Us. I've been folowing the movie for about a year now it was enjoyable

I just looked that film up on Rotten Tomatoes. It's one of those films shunned by critics but received well by audience. Currently 17% of critics favoured it while 64% of audience favoured it. 

https://www.rottento...ace_between_us/

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Your self proclaimed GTA forums DJ!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:28 AM

I just looked that film up on Rotten Tomatoes. It's one of those films shunned by critics but received well by audience. Currently 17% of critics favoured it while 64% of audience favoured it. 

I know weird right, critics don't know sh*t

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:34 PM Edited by Good Hombre, 19 February 2017 - 05:35 PM.

Revenge for Jolly! I just love that movie but everyone either doesn't know or hate it.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:41 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 24 February 2017 - 10:45 PM.

I know weird right, critics don't know sh*t

No they do haha. I just think objectively analyzing films takes out the fun factor and how people grow to love films in a quirky way. 

For example a good critic would understand subtext, pacing, cinematography, direction, screenplay etc whereas the casual movie watcher may not be absorbing entertainment like that. They're looking at it on a more subjective level. 

That's why I love Rotten Tomatoes. We get a general professional consensus and then an audience consensus. I think if either one high you have a 50% chance of liking it. :p

That's why Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas favoured low with critics because the film falls flat in many ways in terms of story cohesion and 3 act structure. There's a sort of lack of story. But it's rated really high by critics. Same with Freddie Got Fingered although technically I'm not sure FGF is a really bad film. I think critics panned it for it's brand of humour and Tom Green but the story, editing and production is actually quite sound. 

Diani The Otter
  • Diani The Otter

Two Steps From Hell

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:35 AM

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
all of the Blade's
Hancock
Star Wars Prequels
Terminator 3
Alien vs Predator
Predators
Alien Resurrection
Prometheus
Iron Man 2 & 3
Ang Lee‘s Hulk & Incredible Hulk
Fantastic Four(2005)
Ghostbusters 2
Lethal Weapon 4
Spiders
The Paranormal Activity movies
Hardcore Henry

There is too many to list or even remember.
  • Honker1944 likes this

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud
  • DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

here is wondering how long a member title actually could be

• BUSTED!
  • Belgium

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:45 PM

Charlie & the Chocolate factory.

Really, i do not get it, what kind of movie had people expected considering Tim Burton was behind it and the main star is Johnny Depp ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users