Sonic Mania

44 replies to this topic
Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

Also, the original Sonic(s) are being released for mobile for free as a part of Sega Forever. 

https://www.theguard...obiles-for-free

@Tails Prower: I've gone ahead and updated your original post of gameplay footage for Mania at E3. :)

Thank you, I will have a look at that after work today.

• Mister Pink likes this

Ivan1997GTA
  • Ivan1997GTA

Proud to Be Loud

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

Well, Sonic Mania is coming out tomorrow for the PS4, Xbox One and the Nintendo Switch. And as for the PC version of the game, we'll have to wait until the 29th of August. I don't mind waiting 2 weeks for the PC version to come out, as I'm sure they're working on it to make sure the PC version of Sonic Mania is properly optimized.

scalliano
  • scalliano

Ice Cold Killa

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

So, I got it for the PS4, and I am completely smitten. They did it. They actually did it. Even going so far as to replicate that horrendous sideways-crush bug that plagued the originals and cost me three lives in a row. Talk about authentic.

I am, of course, being facetious. But yeah, it's f*cking great. It's everything that Sonic 4 wasn't.

Torn between this and wipEout Omega for GOTY.

Now, about that PC version. Hopfully it has a 4:3 mode so I can downscale it onto my old CRT and break out the MD controller ...

• Mister Pink, Awesom-0 and Ivan1997GTA like this

Meeloh
  • Meeloh

Dorifuto Yo.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:39 AM

Had it a full day, beat it.  Only got two emeralds but HOLY SHT is this a dream come true. ;~;  How I missed GOOD Sonic games.  There's just too much to say about this game it's unreal.

• Tchuck, Mister Pink, Awesom-0 and 1 other like this

Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the postive comments folks!

I've yet to play - my copy of collector's edition is at the parcel office!

I'll have it in a couple of hours and I'm on holiday until 29th so I'll hopefully have a bit to say in this topic shortly!

• Mister Pink and Awesom-0 like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

Great to hear all the positive things about this game. Can't wait to get it now. :)

• KilnerLUFC and Ivan1997GTA like this

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

I would consider it if it releases on the PS Vita. Would love to play this on a handheld.

Awesom-0
  • Awesom-0

Happy 1st anniversary without heists!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

Honestly, i think this game might be better than S3&K and it might even be the best Sonic game ever. 10/10

While most of the zones are remakes, it doesn't matter because they all feel entirely new with the stages having new gimmicks, and being extremely massive. I also love the new special stages and bonus stages. There is also fan service and easter eggs everywhere. The chemical plant zone, act 2 boss with DR. ROBOTNIK is amazing and will make your jaw drop. I'm NOT going to spoil it for you though.

I also bought the collectors edition and it's beautiful. I love it so much. This is the first time i ever bought a collectors edition of a game before and it's worth every penny. I might also buy Sonic Forces collectors edition if the game has one.

• Tails Prower and Ivan1997GTA like this

Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:52 PM Edited by Tails Prower, 16 August 2017 - 08:59 PM.

Well I have just been playing Sonic Mania for the past three hours or so and been having a blast (sorry pun intended!)

Awesom-0 summed it up very well, I've got to Studiopolis zone and it';s nice to see the fan service and easter eggs, I'm gonna be spending a lot of time going through levels going Ooh...Ahh!

I really loved Chemical Plant Act 2's boss but I won't spoil it either but that was a lot of fun.

Special mention has to go to the effort they did with the statue for collectors edition, I have uploaded some photo's for those who may not

have paid for collectors edition, pride of place in my Sonic display cabinets!

If you put two AA batteries in the console base and hit the on switch it says SEGA like when you used to play an old Mega Drive/Genesis.

Spoiler

I'll add some video footage of the first level a bit later and the opening movie animation.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:45 PM

I would consider it if it releases on the PS Vita. Would love to play this on a handheld.

Nintendo Switch. ;)

Having to wait till payday to finally purchase this game, but I'm so glad all the reviews for this game have been raving about how great it is. Seems to have stuck so true to the original 2D classics, yet be enough to qualify as a new game entirely, without having to be in HD graphics or any of that BS.

• Tchuck, Awesom-0, Tails Prower and 1 other like this

Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:34 AM

Having to wait till payday to finally purchase this game, but I'm so glad all the reviews for this game have been raving about how great it is. Seems to have stuck so true to the original 2D classics, yet be enough to qualify as a new game entirely, without having to be in HD graphics or any of that BS.

Yes I agree with this, I like it for being exactly what it is, a straight forward 2D game without the need for HD, I mean it would look really good

to see it with modern HD graphics but I think that would have added to the development time and work required.

As promised here are those videos, spoiler tagged so people don't need to view if they don't want to!

Spoiler

Level 3 is proving a challenge but I'll get through it at some stage.

• Awesom-0 likes this

Coleco
  • Coleco

Shut up and dance you FOOLS

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:40 PM Edited by Coleco, 18 August 2017 - 08:47 PM.

I'm really enjoying Sonic Mania :)

The bosses can be a little cheap in places but they're all unique and the encounters have tons of charm - same with the rest of the game, to be honest. Act 2 of Chemical Plant Zone is a particular stand-out for me (both level and boss), as is the wonderful looking and sounding Press Garden Zone.

Totally worth the price, best Sonic game I've played since Sonic 2 back in '92 :D

EDIT: Also, Sonic's new 'look up' and title screen animations are adorable :D He's a far more likeable character when he's acting cute and carefree in a technicolor world instead of trying so hard to be edgy and "epic" - Sonic Team, please take note will ya... going by the reviews and response to Mania, Christian Whitehead and Headcannon are basically showing you how to do your jobs at this point

• Awesom-0 likes this

Awesom-0
  • Awesom-0

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:26 AM Edited by Awesom-0, 19 August 2017 - 04:30 AM.

^^

Since Christian Whitehead and HeadCannon are officially working with SEGA now, and with all of the positive reviews this game has gotten, I'm just hoping for either... 

A) A Sonic 3 and Knuckles mobile port, or...

B) A completely original 2D Sonic game made by them.

If we're lucky, hopefully we'll get both.  :colgate:

In the meantime, I'm just waiting for some more stuff about Sonic Forces.

Awesom-0
  • Awesom-0

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:54 AM Edited by Awesom-0, 21 August 2017 - 05:19 PM.

This is a spoiler alert for the Chemical Plant Zone, Act 2 boss. Don't open it if you don't want it spoiled for you.

Spoiler

• Coleco likes this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:10 AM

This is a spoiler alert for the Chemical Plant Zone, Act 2 boss. Don't open it if you don't want it spoiled for you.

Spoiler

I actually turned to our lass and said it was Tetris, sorry.

Managed to pick this game up the other day - absolutely amazing game. The fact that they've managed to keep the original graphics, to an extent, yet make it feel like a completely brand new game, which it kind of is, is brilliant. Credit to the Switch too - Had it playing on my Tablet and it ran beyond what I expected, which for a game like Sonic speaks volumes.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users