Photo

Sonic Mania

30 replies to this topic
Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:42 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 4 weeks ago.

I did a quick check and found nothing and I think may be the first Sonic game topic but as a loyal fan of the blue hedgehog since his first game back

in 1991 I'm making the topic for the upcoming Sonic Mania.

Sonic Mania is a HD remaster of the original Sonic the Hedgehog and is being released for Sony Playstation 4, Microsfot Xbox One and PC platforms.

Sonic, Tails and Knuckles will be playable characters and is expected in Spring 2017.

Here is the trailer from a Youtube video link:

Gameplay from E3

Needless to say I am very happy to finally play a new Sonic game and it will be the first game in the series long history to have multiple playable

characters (the last were Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic Adventure)

Another Sonic game was also announced but has no official title yet, so is anyone else interested as this will be Sonic's first game on these

consoles since the Nintendo Exclusives, I am pleased to see his return and also glad they are timing this in Sonic's 25th anniversary year.

As more info comes out I will keep the opening up to date with the new details.

Update 1 (13/09/2016)

Today Sega updated the official Sonic website with details of Sonic Mania.

A link to the website page:

http://www.sonictheh...nia/collectors/

A collector's edition is available to pre-order for a limited time for North American market from Amazon.com, link here:

https://www.amazon.c...5134adabb9ffff1

This includes a special collector's edition statue with Mega Drive console model as well.

Most important is we can now expect the game in Spring 2017 but Amazon.com lists as May 31 2017.

• Mister Pink, Fireman, Android and 3 others like this

Z i X
  • Z i X

Bottom Text

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:27 PM

The stream was awful, but this and Project Sonic 2017 made it worth staying up to 6AM.

• Awesom-0, Tails Prower and Ivan1997GTA like this

Ivan1997GTA
  • Ivan1997GTA

Proud to Be Loud

• Facade Corporation
  • Russia

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

Here's hope that SEGA and other people who work on this game don't screw it up, aswell as that 2017 project. We don't want another Sonic '06 & Sonic Genesis GBA. This looks very promising. As a fan of Sonic, I could safely say that this would become the true Sonic the Hedgehog 4 we've all been waiting for. Or maybe not, who knows.
  • Tails Prower, Z i X and DoctorMike like this

Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:44 PM

Yes I agree with you both, stream was awful but worth the announcement.

I also hope it does not become another Sonic 2006 as I liked the story but the gameplay was just poor and I have not played

any Sonic since Sonic Generations, I guess I am really happy that Tails is going to be playable again as you may guess

from my profile he is my favourite character.

• Awesom-0, Z i X and Ivan1997GTA like this

Z i X
  • Z i X

Bottom Text

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:53 PM

I also hope it does not become another Sonic 2006 as I liked the story but the gameplay was just poor and I have not played

any Sonic since Sonic Generations, I guess I am really happy that Tails is going to be playable again as you may guess

I would've loved if Tails or anybody else for that matter was shown instead of Classic Sonic in the Project Sonic 2017 trailer. We really didn't need another "Classic Sonic" type game, I mean I don't mind him "that" much, but since we are getting a game just dedicated to his classic stuff we really didn't need him in this one too. It's just that I really think that these 3D Sonic games should hold on their own without the Classic. I don't mind a lil' bit of classic like references, but this is going literally to "Mario" type level of forcing nostalgia down our throats. It also doesn't help that year by year the cast is getting more underused. Ever since Sonic 06 happened the rest of the cast was not playable, just making cameos and stuff, it's a shame really.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:58 PM

my collection of Sonic the Hedgehog comic books is steadily climbing in value :^:

• Mister Pink, Tails Prower and Z i X like this

Awesom-0
  • Awesom-0

Happy 1st anniversary without heists!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:12 AM Edited by Awesom-0, 27 July 2016 - 07:15 AM.

As cool as this news is. Why are we geting ANOTHER 2D/3D Sonic Generations 2 game again?

If they were going to already make a 2D game to satisfy the Genesis era sonic fans, then why do we need this? Im kinda dissapointed SEGA didnt use this oppertunity to satisfy the Dreamcast era fans andmake a Sonic Adventure 3.

Regardless, im probably gonna be buying both Sonic Mania and Project Sonic in 2017.

• Tails Prower, Z i X and Ivan1997GTA like this

Ivan1997GTA
  • Ivan1997GTA

Proud to Be Loud

• Facade Corporation
  • Russia

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:08 AM Edited by Ivan1997GTA, 27 July 2016 - 08:08 AM.

I would've loved if Tails or anybody else for that matter was shown instead of Classic Sonic in the Project Sonic 2017 trailer. We really didn't need another "Classic Sonic" type game, I mean I don't mind him "that" much, but since we are getting a game just dedicated to his classic stuff we really didn't need him in this one too. It's just that I really think that these 3D Sonic games should hold on their own without the Classic. I don't mind a lil' bit of classic like references, but this is going literally to "Mario" type level of forcing nostalgia down our throats. It also doesn't help that year by year the cast is getting more underused. Ever since Sonic 06 happened the rest of the cast was not playable, just making cameos and stuff, it's a shame really.

Plus, Sonic Generations' selection of classic characters was kind of lackluster: Sonic, Tails, Eggman & Metal Sonic. That's it. Hopefully Project Sonic 2017 will also bring Classic Knuckles & Classic Amy into the mix, but I doubt it.
  • Z i X likes this

Z i X
  • Z i X

Bottom Text

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

Plus, Sonic Generations' selection of classic characters was kind of lackluster: Sonic, Tails, Eggman & Metal Sonic. That's it. Hopefully Project Sonic 2017 will also bring Classic Knuckles & Classic Amy into the mix, but I doubt it.

We really didn't need a Classic Knux and Amy, nor did we even need Classic Tails, the story just wasn't that great.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

As cool as this news is. Why are we geting ANOTHER 2D/3D Sonic Generations 2 game again?

If they were going to already make a 2D game to satisfy the Genesis era sonic fans, then why do we need this? Im kinda dissapointed SEGA didnt use this oppertunity to satisfy the Dreamcast era fans andmake a Sonic Adventure 3.

Regardless, im probably gonna be buying both Sonic Mania and Project Sonic in 2017.

There will most likely be a Sonic Adventure 3 at some stage as Sonic Adventure 2 did end with a cliffhanger (no spoilers from me) but I think they are

waiting to see how this and Project Sonic 2017 do before making any firm announcements about it but I fully expect they will make Sonic Adventure 3.

I personally loved both Sonic Adventure games though I prefer Sonic Adventure 2 over the original and I still have my PS3 so that I can play the PS3

versions of both those games, time shall reveal all.

• Z i X and Ivan1997GTA like this

Z i X
  • Z i X

Bottom Text

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:36 PM

There will most likely be a Sonic Adventure 3 at some stage as Sonic Adventure 2 did end with a cliffhanger (no spoilers from me) but I think they are

waiting to see how this and Project Sonic 2017 do before making any firm announcements about it but I fully expect they will make Sonic Adventure 3.

I personally loved both Sonic Adventure games though I prefer Sonic Adventure 2 over the original and I still have my PS3 so that I can play the PS3

versions of both those games, time shall reveal all.

Well, for all the Sonic Adventure lovers there are some good news. On the 25th Anniversary Party, in the interview Takashi Izuka stated that if he ever gets the chance to make Sonic Adventure 3, he would gladly do it. I personally think a Sonic Adventure 3 isn't necessary. First off, Sonic Heroes continues right were it left of, if Heroes wasn't your SA3 then Shadow The Hedgehog could be, at least for their stories. If neither work then there's Sonic 06' which so far from the official games for me works like an SA3, mainly because it has similar gameplay. But if you ask me "Sonic World" - the fangame is the true SA3, it's so awesome it even has a Chao Garden with some new twists which work smoothly. And the gameplay is heavenly.

• Tails Prower likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:16 AM

I've always thought Sonic's transition to 3D was kind of meh. Its fast paced gameplay wasn't really well suited to that pov, unlike Mario. It's good to see a transition back to the series roots when it was at its strongest point. It'd be awesome if they kept that for the next couple of games while exploring new gameplay elements suited to 2D, and keeping the great art style.

Looking forward to this!

• Mister Pink and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:20 PM

Today Sega updated the official Sonic website with details of Sonic Mania.

A link to the website page:

http://www.sonictheh...nia/collectors/

A collector's edition is available to pre-order for a limited time for North American market from Amazon.com, link here:

https://www.amazon.c...5134adabb9ffff1

This includes a special collector's edition statue with Mega Drive console model as well.

Most important is we can now expect the game in Spring 2017 but Amazon.com lists specifically as May 31 2017.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:11 PM

This looks like fun. I have the original Sonic on my X1 and Sonic & Knuckles. Played both recently so seeing this now is nice.

Awesom-0
  • Awesom-0

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:50 AM

I know this happened almost a month aga, but im suprised nobody has brought up the fact that IGN said that "Sonic was never good" and the only reason people like him is because "They want to have sex with Big the Cat"...

Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

@Awesom-0 (quote not working for me just now) that's a new one on me, then again I never read IGN for such comments.

I doubt that is true though, for me I like Sonic because he was a character with attitude and the original games were just simple fun blast through level at speed and combo

enemies etc.

Then of course the "being cool" games came along but I won't mention them, Sonic didn't need the gadgets to be cool he just was from the outset to me.

Coleco
  • Coleco

Shut up and dance you FOOLS

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

im suprised nobody has brought up the fact that IGN said that "Sonic was never good" and the only reason people like him is because "They want to have sex with Big the Cat"...

Source?

That sounds as credible as the average YouTube user comment (and just as informed).

Regarding Sonic Mania, it looks like a return to form for this long-suffering franchise. Sonic has always been a solid 2D experience. Christian Whitehead's involvement is promising as the remake of Sonic CD a few years ago was rock solid - dare I say, better than the original Mega-CD release?

Watching the trailer it feels like there's a visual charm to this. It doesn't seem like a cynical cash-in on a "retro" themed game. Also, focusing on three playable characters and dispensing with the rest of the neon menagerie is a step in the right direction in my opinion. 

I'll be looking forward to this in the coming months.

• Awesom-0, Tails Prower and Ivan1997GTA like this

Awesom-0
  • Awesom-0

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:39 PM Edited by Awesom-0, 16 September 2016 - 03:48 PM.

^^

sadly, i dont think i can post web links because im on the console internet, but if you want, you can go on YouTube and search "SEGA doubles down on sonic - Game Scoop!"

One of them also said "Green hill zone from Sonic 2" -_-

EDIT: Actually, i think i can. I just have to type it all out myself. Well, heres the link to the video, enjoy...

Coleco
  • Coleco

Shut up and dance you FOOLS

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:04 PM

EDIT: Actually, i think i can. I just have to type it all out myself. Well, heres the link to the video, enjoy...

Thanks! Just looked at it... unsurprisingly the "Sex with Big the Cat" comment is from the same guy who said "Green Hill from Sonic 2" and "Sonic was never good"

Such opinion

Many objective input

Wow

Opinions are fine but that just sounds like the ramblings of someone trying to be funny than informative. Emphasis on the word trying - and throughout that entire clip that same edgelord contributed nothing to the discussion.

Cue the inevitable "Sonic v Mario" comments. Oh wow, didn't see that coming fellas... good work. Sure, even the oldest Sonic titles are far from being perfect games, but this just sounds like typical fanboy manchildren hating on something out of habit. Then to confirm my suspicions of bias, they have a nice little NX circlejerk at the end. Plus more "hurr durr, sex with cat" comments from the bearded douchebag.

Are they getting paid to spurt this trash? That's possibly the most offensive thing about it all to be honest.

Awesom-0
  • Awesom-0

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:46 PM

^^

Yeah, the first 30 seconds of the video was the only part where they talked about the actual game, the rest of the video was just them bashing SEGA, Sonic the hedgehog, and the fanbase. Its a well known fact that most of the gaming journalists have a bias against sonic the hedgehog. They came off as being a bunch of Unprofessional Nintindo fanboy, sonic hating Man-children. f*ck IGN!

And just think, these people are supposed to be PROFESSIONAL game journalists... :lol:

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:14 PM Edited by tails_prower_2040, 17 March 2017 - 12:15 PM.

Sonic Mania has now been delayed following an update to the Sonic Mania pages of the Sonic the Hedgehog

website.

It will now release in Summer 2017 and a new stage has been revealed Flying Battery Zone which last

appeared in Sonic & Knuckles.

Also Project Sonic 2017 has had it's title revealed to the world and will be called Sonic Forces.

I shall make a separate topic on this later.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Ivan1997GTA
  • Ivan1997GTA

Proud to Be Loud

• Facade Corporation
  • Russia

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

Sonic Mania has now been delayed following an update to the Sonic Mania pages of the Sonic the Hedgehog
website.

It will now release in Summer 2017 and a new stage has been revealed Flying Battery Zone which last

Also Project Sonic 2017 has had it's title revealed to the world and will be called Sonic Forces.

Sounds interesting. And Flying Battery Zone from Sonic & Knuckles? Hell yeah! But the game got delayed until summer? As AOSTH Sonic would say: "That's no good!".

But I understand why the game got delayed. I kinda was expecting Sonic Mania to come out maybe in late May, but I guess we'll have to wait until summer.
  • Mister Pink and Tails Prower like this

Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

website.

Sounds interesting. And Flying Battery Zone from Sonic & Knuckles? Hell yeah! But the game got delayed until summer? As AOSTH Sonic would say: "That's no good!".

But I understand why the game got delayed. I kinda was expecting Sonic Mania to come out maybe in late May, but I guess we'll have to wait until summer.

Yes it's a shame it got delayed but I imagine they did it to ensure they have enoiugh time to sort out any late development issues etc.

Nice to know someone else remember's that catch phrase from AOSTH, I know many cringe at the mention of that series but the silly slapstick comic humour

appealed to me a lot. Looking forward to it in the summer though and I hope Sega release a desktop theme for the PS4 or some new Sonic Avatar's from

the game as really want a new Sonic icon for my PS4 profile.

• Mister Pink and Ivan1997GTA like this

Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

Okay everyone, we now have a new official release date for Sonic Mania which is 15 August 2017.

Digital Pre-Order is up for Sony PlayStation 4 on the store and requires payment of £15.99.

The digital download also includes 3 PlayStation 4 themes and 6 Avatar's featuring Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

Playing through Sonic 2 at the moment so I'm happy to be reminded of this release. Totally forgot about it!

• Coleco likes this

Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

Playing through Sonic 2 at the moment so I'm happy to be reminded of this release. Totally forgot about it!

Well Sega have been pretty quiet about Sonic Mania for a while but hopefully they will be doing some hype train for the new game soon.

I'm going to enjoy this one because it's 2D but I have a feeling I'm going to like Sonic Forces (the other Sonic game this year) due to the inclusion of the character

creation tool which will mean I finally get to make my Sonic Universe character.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

Yes, the 2D sold me for this one. I mean I just love looking at the background images and just the art direction in general of the 2D worlds and it always sparks my imagination. Also excited about the drop-dash feature. Seems like a proper progression of features Sonic would have. 

Love this colour palette..

sonicmania05_0.png

sonic-mania-1.jpg

I just checked out Sonic Forces. Wouldn't mind picking that up too. :D

• El Diablo, Tchuck, Tails Prower and 2 others like this

Tails Prower
  • Tails Prower

Sonic Mania

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:59 AM

Nice screenshots.

There has been a lot of news concerning both games coming out of E3 but I don't have a proper internet accessible PC at work so can't really update the

topic properly but I'll be posting what's known about Sonic Forces soon and updating this one.

• Mister Pink likes this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 4 weeks ago

The fact this game is both a remaster yet has original content definitely intrigues me, will definitely be picking this up for my Switch at some point.

• Mister Pink and Tails Prower like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Mister Pink, 4 weeks ago.

Also, the original Sonic(s) are being released for mobile for free as a part of Sega Forever. 

https://www.theguard...obiles-for-free

@Tails Prower: I've gone ahead and updated your original post of gameplay footage for Mania at E3. :)

• Tails Prower likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users