• Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2016
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:29 PM

Hardcore gamers will want original games and likely go as far as to set up their system on a 32" 90's television so they get the best picture...I plan on it myself but for now I don't have the space.

This is Nintendo's answer to a more common market, who want to play these games on a 60+ inch HDTV, who don't need to spend an average $20.00 per game if not more. Sure, you could hook the NES to an HDMI TV, but it will look horrible and a decent Component to HDMI will certainly cost around $80.00 -$200.00 depending on how serious you want to go with that route.

I'm wondering how the save feature is going to work, I'd like it if it was kind of like a save bank which the Super Mario All-Stars game had...

Yep.

What this does is basically break down any walls and barriers that will stop kids, parents, casual gamers, etc from ever buying a Wii, I guess to the average person they can be confusing, expensive and you will never know what is the best thing to get.

With this though, everyone knows who the f*ck mario is, if hes on the box, it costs $60 and is idiot proof, why wouldn't everyone this christmas buy it? Either for themselves or for a kid.

It is basically like releasing these games on mobile devices, only a dedicated machine for it. Nothing to go wrong, little barrier to entry which I think is their goal.

I know that means f*ck all for you and me, and most of us jizzing over this probably already had or still has the originals as well as all the emulators and roms. But still, there is just something satisfying about this. Maybe not entirely useful in my insane evil villain lair of a bedroom but could be very useful to take down into the living room and play with the family on christmas day etc. It beats half the sh*te that is on TV anyway.

They did say the device won't have internet or external storage capacity which essentially rules out the possibility of more games down the line.

Ah I didn't notice, that's too bad. They could have tied in the WII marketplace to add more...they should have thought of this as it would have put that market on the map for more users. Then again, this is cheap software so it may have ended up costing more than it was worth.

I feel like if this was what I originally wanted. An Ouya-like micro console with downloadable games from the marketplace I feel that this really could have taken off so easily. Though that would easily cast a massive shadow over their new console and nintendo are weird like that and would rather do what they want to do rather than what they know will make everyone happy and get them a lot of money...

The main point I think above everything is that it's f*cking $60, that is f*cking NOTHING. This thing could easily be something in every f*ckers home under the tree on christmas day.

At that low price, it is almost no point worrying about it. It's a brand you can trust and being that cheap it doesn't even matter if it's the right thing or not. It's an easy gift type item that has no bounds of being sold the f*ck out in seconds.

• Tchuck and Vanzant like this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

Think different. Question everything.

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:47 PM

What this does is basically break down any walls and barriers that will stop kids, parents, casual gamers, etc from ever buying a Wii, I guess to the average person they can be confusing, expensive and you will never know what is the best thing to get. [...]

As I said on my previous post, the main "barrier" is pretty much the lack of innovation, that is why I am so excited about the NX, I really think it has the potential to finally break that one barrier. I think that when you're investing on a gaming platform you expect it to play all the games you like and not be stuck with just the Nintendo titles, that let's be honest, are pretty much remakes of the same old things as always. That's why the Wii U isn't even seen as a competitor of the Xbox One or PS4, it's a separate market because it doesn't offer anything the others offer... What saves Nintendo is that their games are still fun as always, but if NX offered both, that would be the real deal.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:54 AM

Well this isn't their new console, this is a tiny side product. I think what everyone is mostly upset by is why this couldn't be their new console. At least for me, that is all I wanted from it, a disc drive-less console, tiny and compact with a standard controller. Then I might buy it and play any number of games on their market. The problem is they have had so many f*cking weird peripherals that I don't even know what modern nintendo games would even work with a standard controller anymore. So I would probably just stick to old classics.

I just think that this product just enables people who may not have played videogames since they played pac man in an arcade and they might just buy it and re-live the fun of these times by buying this super cheap device. It somehow equally becomes super casual and super hardcore at the same time.

Either way I would rather buy this than some jazzed up new console trying to flog the latest motion sensor/embedded screened random as f*ck new control scheme. I doubt the NX will be anything different, though it would be nice if it was.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:23 AM

that let's be honest, are pretty much remakes of the same old things as always. 

Let's be honest; They aren't. Play Super Mario Galaxy and tell me how that is a remake of Mario 64, which was a remake of Super Mario, which was a remake of Mario Bros. That's right, they weren't. What they do make is evolutions of their IP. Once Nintendo finds a gameplay element that is solid and fun, they expand upon it and make it better with new iterations. 

Far different from what most other companies do, literally remaking the same old things as always. Nintendo always tries to spice it up in some ways and comes up with new gameplay elements all the time.

That's why the Wii U isn't even seen as a competitor of the Xbox One or PS4, it's a separate market because it doesn't offer anything the others offer... 

The WiiU isn't seen as a competitor because Nintendo is smart enough to not get dragged into a stupid competition with the other two. The competition between those two is bringing talks of modular consoles that work pretty much like PCs, with all the problems it will bring, or even separate yearly iterations on the console, meaning you spend more money to keep your experience the greatest. Whereas Nintendo focuses on what it does best; making consoles that contain great titles created by themselves. And well, it also offers something that the others don't offer; fun games with great gameplay championed by Nintendo's rock solid IPs.

As for this Plug and Play console, a definite winner for Nintendo. Since they won't have any new major releases this holiday season, this will make a great bargain buy for any parent wanting to pick something new for their kids with the quality that Nintendo always puts in their products. If they had gone with a more complicate setup of offering a virtual store or adding compatibility to the cartridges it would only increase the price of this further, also requiring maintenance and support that would add even more to the cost of running things. Keeping it simple like this ensures it works perfectly and needs very little support. Sell it and forget it. 

I do hope this paves the way for more microconsoles like that, perhaps focused around specific games/series. I imagine a SNES version that brought all Mario titles would be amazing, or one with all the Megaman games, or one with all the FF/Dragon Quest games. Cheaper than tracking down the carts, better than just emulating them on your computer. 

• Vanzant likes this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:28 PM

I doubt the NX will be anything different, though it would be nice if it was.

How exactly do you want the NX to be different though?

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:11 AM

I'm buying it.
  • Tchuck likes this

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:51 PM Edited by Fireman, 21 July 2016 - 12:51 PM.

I'm not buying it.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:25 PM

I doubt the NX will be anything different, though it would be nice if it was.

How exactly do you want the NX to be different though?

I meant I doubt the NX will be that different to the Wiiu

I would love the NX to be modular and you only buy what you need, get a disc drive-less console with a normal controller, a tiny box no bigger than the gamecube. But I just feel like it would be too much of a good idea that they won't bother. Probably end up trying to flog some kiddy friendly VR device on your controller instead.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:23 PM

I'm a professional nostalgic gamer. Not kidding. Not a week goes buy where I'm not dropping quarters into one of my arcade machines.

The thing I noticed is console gaming nostalgia always is a better memory than a current experience. The tiny NES sure is cute as hell but I sense people will just pack it away after a week.

As far as NX...is there really room in the console market for a nonconformist? If you are one of those people that has to experience everything in gaming then sure, but the average household is only going to be able/interested in buying one console.
  • Zombified Andy likes this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:53 PM

that let's be honest, are pretty much remakes of the same old things as always. 

Let's be honest; They aren't. Play Super Mario Galaxy and tell me how that is a remake of Mario 64, which was a remake of Super Mario, which was a remake of Mario Bros. That's right, they weren't. What they do make is evolutions of their IP. Once Nintendo finds a gameplay element that is solid and fun, they expand upon it and make it better with new iterations. 

Far different from what most other companies do, literally remaking the same old things as always. Nintendo always tries to spice it up in some ways and comes up with new gameplay elements all the time.

That was not exacly what I meant. Sure, the games aren't just new versions, but they keep mostly inside the same franshises and under the same ideas. I mean, I really like Zelda games, same applies to Mario, and although I never played Star Fox, their latest game sounds very cool, but there's a lack of totally new ideas - new characters, story, goals and so on, instead of more of the same franshises with some innovations. One example - Splatoon - a whole new idea, and that's the kind of things Nintendo could also invest on. There's few companies that do remakes for that long as you said, what examples you have? GTA, Need for Speed and CoD are arround for 2 decades, while those Nintendo titles and characters go for almost twice as that, and Final Fantasy changed a lot since their original NES title.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not saying Nintendo franshises aren't good, yes, they are indeed fun and solid just as you said, but people like variety, and new things to play, and getting totally new and original ideaas is a great way to attract new players.

That's why the Wii U isn't even seen as a competitor of the Xbox One or PS4, it's a separate market because it doesn't offer anything the others offer... 

The WiiU isn't seen as a competitor because Nintendo is smart enough to not get dragged into a stupid competition with the other two. The competition between those two is bringing talks of modular consoles that work pretty much like PCs, with all the problems it will bring, or even separate yearly iterations on the console, meaning you spend more money to keep your experience the greatest. Whereas Nintendo focuses on what it does best; making consoles that contain great titles created by themselves. And well, it also offers something that the others don't offer; fun games with great gameplay championed by Nintendo's rock solid IPs.

If everything worked that great as you try to make it seem like, the Wii U wouldn't be the failure it is. I know other factors enter here, but if people don't buy that platform, maybe that means something is failing there. First of, I don't really see how current generation consoles are modular (or anything close to PC on that matter, although they have some new features that mke them closer to PC - perhaps you're making reference to their announced upcoming enhanced versions, but that's mostly fault of Microsoft and Sony for not making them as powerful as they should back on 2013), but leaving that point aside: here in Portugal, you can buy a Wii U with Mario Kart for 300€ - the same price of a Xbox One also with a free game. If you take the Wii U, you get Nintendo own franshises, a very few new third party titles and if you're looking for multi-platform games, there's even fewer games, most from years ago. Do you want to play some of the more sucessful games avaliable for the PC and current gen consoles, such as Fallout 4, GTA V, Rise of the Tomb Raider and many, many more? Sorry, you're out of luck. Point is, you get way less on the Wii U than you get on any other platform, and (at least around here) it sells for the same price of a current gen console.

If you're just happy with Nintendo franshises, well, then the console is great for you, but if you want something more than that, you'll need to look somewhere else, or buy a second platform to play all the other games you can't on a Wii U (which for a lot of families isn't an option). This is why I am excited for the NX, because I (and most people) are hoping it to be what Wii U is, having all the great Nintendo titles + all the other multi platform games you can play on other consoles. I can't understand why is not a good idea for Nintendo to compete alongside the other console makers to offer their consumers what (as you said) they do best + the other games players also want to play, instead of closing themselves on their self imposed barriers, either to please gamers that only like Nintendo titles or that can afford 2 platforms; or either go to the course of the original Wii that was mostly a console for casual gamers.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:31 PM

I'm a professional nostalgic gamer. Not kidding. Not a week goes buy where I'm not dropping quarters into one of my arcade machines.

The thing I noticed is console gaming nostalgia always is a better memory than a current experience. The tiny NES sure is cute as hell but I sense people will just pack it away after a week.

As far as NX...is there really room in the console market for a nonconformist? If you are one of those people that has to experience everything in gaming then sure, but the average household is only going to be able/interested in buying one console.

I'd love to get a couple of genuine arcade cabinets. How much did yours cost trip?

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:23 PM

I'd love to get a couple of genuine arcade cabinets. How much did yours cost trip?

You may kill me when I tell you.  I have a standing deal where I only pay $100 per cabinet(fully complete and working).  As a 'kind of' joke I'm denied some cabinets.  I MAME them so it really doesn't matter that much, but it kills me that he will never let me have a DK cabinet. 

I once needed a 19in monitor - called my buddy and he said "20 bucks".  I got there and he tried to get me to take a 4 player NBA Jam that had 4 20some inch monitors...$100.  My response was "dude, I'm in my VW Golf".

I love my cabinets.  They've been powered up 24x7x365 since like 2000/2001.  The coindoors are locked and it costs a quarter per game.  No doubt the best piggy banks ever.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:15 AM

If everything worked that great as you try to make it seem like, the Wii U wouldn't be the failure it is. I know other factors enter here, but if people don't buy that platform, maybe that means something is failing there. First of, I don't really see how current generation consoles are modular (or anything close to PC on that matter, although they have some new features that mke them closer to PC - perhaps you're making reference to their announced upcoming enhanced versions, but that's mostly fault of Microsoft and Sony for not making them as powerful as they should back on 2013), but leaving that point aside: here in Portugal, you can buy a Wii U with Mario Kart for 300€ - the same price of a Xbox One also with a free game. If you take the Wii U, you get Nintendo own franshises, a very few new third party titles and if you're looking for multi-platform games, there's even fewer games, most from years ago. Do you want to play some of the more sucessful games avaliable for the PC and current gen consoles, such as Fallout 4, GTA V, Rise of the Tomb Raider and many, many more? Sorry, you're out of luck. Point is, you get way less on the Wii U than you get on any other platform, and (at least around here) it sells for the same price of a current gen console.

The failure of the Wii U largely stems from its marketing. Riding out the Wii wave, they failed to distinguish themselves from that as much as they should. People worldwide who bought the Wii mostly believe the Wii U was just an expansion/extension to the Wii, thus unnecessary. Most articles regarding it as a failure always compare it to the Wii as well which, since the Wii was an extreme outlier, it's not a fair comparison. Heck, looking at the PS4 or the XboxOne, bought are well beyond the sales number of their predecessors as well, and there's already talks of replacing them or "improving" them, to extract more money from buyers. Lower sales could be an industry trend overall as more people switch to mobile gaming or don't switch out of mobile gaming into home consoles.

And yeah, I am making reference to their announcements. But weren't those consoles extremely powerful, groundbreaking hardware? They were capable of providing GTAV for us, which has awesome graphics and a huge world. But suddenly they're not good enough, which is retarded. Everyone in the industry knows that the games that use the full capability of a console always arrive late in that console's lifetime, when developers are then fully capable of exploiting the entire horsepower, as well as optimizing it properly. And just as we're getting near that point, both of them announce the same console but new editions which will cost more and be "optional" at first but actually become mandatory anyway. They're not doing that because their consoles are actually underpowered; they're doing that to try and exploit current fads/trends and extract as much money from the user as possible. 

And if I want to play some of the more successful games on the PC, I will play them on the PC ;). By the same token, none of the other consoles offer the same experiences as you have on Nintendo consoles. And that's the whole point of the Nintendo console; you get it to play Nintendo games, which are always made with huge quality, no bugs, and great gameplay. 

If you're just happy with Nintendo franshises, well, then the console is great for you, but if you want something more than that, you'll need to look somewhere else, or buy a second platform to play all the other games you can't on a Wii U (which for a lot of families isn't an option). This is why I am excited for the NX, because I (and most people) are hoping it to be what Wii U is, having all the great Nintendo titles + all the other multi platform games you can play on other consoles. I can't understand why is not a good idea for Nintendo to compete alongside the other console makers to offer their consumers what (as you said) they do best + the other games players also want to play, instead of closing themselves on their self imposed barriers, either to please gamers that only like Nintendo titles or that can afford 2 platforms; or either go to the course of the original Wii that was mostly a console for casual gamers.

Conversely if you're just happy with other games you have three different options. But if you want Nintendo games, you gotta go Nintendo consoles. It's all due to preference. Sure, it would be very nice if they made it easier to develop for their consoles, but they should not compromise on quality for it.

The reason why it's not a good idea is because it's not financially viable for Nintendo to compete with the other two. Sony has several technology goods divisions; Microsoft has revenues up their arses from their PC products which are pretty much ubiquitous. Nintendo only has their games and their consoles. If Sony or MS lose money on each console sold, that's fine, they still have other streams. If Nintendo loses money on each console sold, they'd be f*cked. And the other two's obsession with graphics is quite costly. Nintendo would have to devote a huge part of their budget just to keep up pace with the other two, losing out on other areas that always need improvement. Sure, you might argue that by sitting out of the other two they don't make as much money selling games or getting more titles on their platform as they could. But then they'd have to sell their consoles at a loss or at higher prices, which could result in less returns overall or flat out break their business. Conversely, by making machines that aren't as "powerful" as the others, and focus on great games and quality hardware, they have consoles that will last you a lifetime, backed by a catalog of great Nintendo titles, and they're making a boatload of money doing it.

And maybe, just maybe, the average gamer will learn that graphics isn't everything in a game. Or they won't, and Sony and MS will keep finding new ways to exploit their users, while Nintendo continues focused on making great games.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:59 PM Edited by Zombified Andy, 24 July 2016 - 05:17 PM.

The failure of the Wii U largely stems from its marketing. Riding out the Wii wave, they failed to distinguish themselves from that as much as they should. People worldwide who bought the Wii mostly believe the Wii U was just an expansion/extension to the Wii, thus unnecessary. Most articles regarding it as a failure always compare it to the Wii as well which, since the Wii was an extreme outlier, it's not a fair comparison. Heck, looking at the PS4 or the XboxOne, bought are well beyond the sales number of their predecessors as well, and there's already talks of replacing them or "improving" them, to extract more money from buyers. Lower sales could be an industry trend overall as more people switch to mobile gaming or don't switch out of mobile gaming into home consoles.

I can't agree 100% with this. The poor marketing on the release justifies the poor sales on the first months, but not all this time after. After so long on the shelves, with so many new games published and constant discounts on the big stores, marketing doesn't excuse the poor sales now.

I see when it got released people didn't understood the concept and what was the Wii U actually, but now that people heard and saw it on sale for multiple years, with all it's game library, still people don't think "well, actually the Wii U seems a cool platform, and I have all these games I can play on, why not buying one?". Sales continue way bellow the 100 million units initial expectations, and for so long on the market that excuse doesn't seem right anymore.

Conversely, by making machines that aren't as "powerful" as the others, and focus on great games and quality hardware, they have consoles that will last you a lifetime, backed by a catalog of great Nintendo titles, and they're making a boatload of money doing it.

The thing about performance capabilities isn't just because players care too much about the graphics. It's because if a platform is way below the others in terms of performance, game devs will have an hard time porting their games into that same platform - that's the reason why almost all of them jumped out the Wii U, and the few who stayed, the games doesnt look anything as good as on the other platforms. If you can't offer the performance other platforms do, devs will just jump away, and this is not something new - take the Sega Dreamcast for example, it was a great console, affordable and with a lot of innovation, yet it failed due to PS2 and it's much better performance; or N64 which has a very small game library when compared to the PSX and most game devs moved into that second one because Nintendo kept using cartridges instead of CDs with way less storage capacity - and even if the console itself was capable of archieving better performance and graphics than the PSX, it wasn't a bigger success because it didn't offered as many game files storage as the competitor.

Also, some technologies become more mainstream and so the market expects them to be included, and that's always a good bonus when choosing a new platform (here I'm leaving PC aside, of course :p ). Taking the Dreamcast as an example again - the PS2 offered a DVD drive that wasn't popular at all back in the time, and the possibility to use it to watch movies was an huge advantage over the Dreamcast, and it caused the DVD market to boom. Nowadays, 4k TVs are becoming much more affordable, so that's one of the reasons Sony and Microsoft felt the need to upgrade their platforms' hardware - people wanted to experience the graphics quality they could on their new ultra HD TVs.

Performance isn't the most important thing on gaming, bu shouldn't be disvalued either. Games always took advantage of the new technology over the years to offer the players the best experience possible, and so does happen nowadays.

In other news, Sega announced... that's right, a mini plug and play Megadrive, and also for about the same price of the mini NES. Yet, it includes 80 games, 2 controls instead of just one and, surely the best feature, a slot compatible with Megadrive cartridges. In 2016, Sega and Nintendo become competitors again, releasing an NES and a Megadrive, what a time to be alive uh!

Unfortunately, Nintendo is loosing this time (damn, when they try so hard to come up with something original, the fail comes from the least expected places possible). I hope Nintendo tries to also include the cartridge reading function to their console with this unexpected rival.

Source

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:22 PM

In other news, Sega announced... that's right, a mini plug and play Megadrive, and also for about the same price of the mini NES. Yet, it includes 80 games, 2 controls instead of just one and, surely the best feature, a slot compatible with Megadrive cartridges. In 2016, Sega and Nintendo become competitors again, releasing an NES and a Megadrive, what a time to be alive uh!

Unfortunately, Nintendo is loosing this time (damn, when they try so hard to come up with something original, the fail comes from the least expected places possible). I hope Nintendo tries to also include the cartridge reading function to their console with this unexpected rival.

Source

Did you actually read the entire article? Or did you just look at the box and got all excited?

Half of the games are nothing anyone is going to want to play...

It's using composite so the games are going to look terrible and the audio is going to be painful to the ears...

There's no save feature....

They run on mediocre emulators that don't offer full compatibility with cartridges...

This all came from your source, how is Nintendo Losing to this?

These Sega units are being assembled in a cheap warehouse in China. :lol: :^:

In all seriousness...if these had HDMI and ran on a console that's not going to be cheaply built I'd def want one.

• Tchuck likes this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:16 AM

Well, gotta admit I really failed this time. I first read the news on a local portuguese website and it didn't mentioned any of those faults, I read on a second one and it seemed legit too, so I tried to get a english website as source but actually didn't read the whole thing... And really missed the most important point. Still, how awesome would it be if this NEs had a cartridge slot for the original games.

• Tchuck and Vanzant like this

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:37 AM

Well, gotta admit I really failed this time. I first read the news on a local portuguese website and it didn't mentioned any of those faults, I read on a second one and it seemed legit too, so I tried to get a english website as source but actually didn't read the whole thing... And really missed the most important point. Still, how awesome would it be if this NEs had a cartridge slot for the original games.

You know what, It's rare to find anyone who will admit when they are wrong ina topic here on this forum or any other forum, so you got my respect for sure. :^:

I wish this forum had more members who are as honest you are.

On topic, If Nintendo was going to build a console that could read original hardware ...upscale it to 1080P, that would be a very costly system.

Nintendo is doing the right thing with this 30 game kit. They are testing the waters. It's apparent that others (SEGA) could make a console read cartridges, but that console won't sell at $60.00 when you can easily just buy the original system at that same price and get the same sh*t results when you play this on a modern television.

So, think of it this way, IF Nintendo can make a lot of bank off of this...and I think they will, it might lead to them going forward with better means of using older cartridges. The money and demand needs to be there first. Remember what I originally said, up scaling older hardware can and will get expensive. You get what you paid for when it comes to this. We may see a Super Nintendo HDMI mini console soon, but the N64 one will be tough and will probably cost the consumer a bit more as the means to emulate is a tough road to get to.

I own most retro consoles complete in box so I'm no fan boy by any means, but if Sega ( which weirdly follows me on twitter ) wants to compete, they need to build a console with 40+ games that want to be played with HDMI support, have save options and interface a quality system as they possibly can.

• Tchuck and Zombified Andy like this

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:07 AM

So has anyone picked this up yet? I will probably check for this tomorrow.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:38 AM

I thought not pre ordering would be smart (I always pre order my sh*t pretty much, haters gonna hate). But holy f*ck, apparently the internet is in flames about this having very limited stock.

I'm picking this up for sure when I can. I missed out on alot of the really oldschool videogames. Always was really curious about Zelda and Metroid and this might be the best way to get in touch with it + being able to plug and play this easily without having horrible picture quality.

And yes I f*cking know you can make it yourself blah blah. But for 60 bucks I ain't fussing around spending hours of work on sh*t like this. Plus it's a very cool collectible/to add to my gaming collection.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:08 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 12 November 2016 - 02:09 PM.

^ Hmmm. I'm curious about what upscaling method they implemented for this system. My guess is that it doesn't tamper with the image quality too much. It's probably a standard analog to digital conversion.

If that's the case then buying the old NES and and an active converter to HDMI is really straightforward as well and you get to play every game in the library potentially. Even a PC emulator is not going to take "hours of work" to set up. Last time I tried one it took less than 30 minutes and it works flawlessly but you need a gamepad like the Xbox 360 one (unless keyboard controls are good enough for you).

• Zombified Andy likes this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:18 PM

Even a PC emulator is not going to take "hours of work" to set up. Last time I tried one it took less than 30 minutes and it works flawlessly

Nowadays it doesn't really make much sense these exaggerations people use to do regarding emulators and other methods to play older games. The process is usually really simple, and a simple 10 minute Google search gives you the best and quickest method for what you're looking for. I mean, "hours of work" is more like if he was expecting he had to even write the code himself lol

scalliano
  • scalliano

Ice Cold Killa

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

When you're talking about emulation for NES/SNES/MD/etc, yes, setup is usually little more than the length of time it takes to download the program and set up the controls (unless you're using Higan, f*ck that elitist piece of sh*t), but when you're getting into stuff like N64 and above, it tends to be much more of a crapshoot, messing around with various plugin configs for individual games.

OT: Good luck getting one for $60/£50 at the moment. Typical Nintendo artificial scarcity bullsh*t. I'm sticking with my RetroFreak, thanks.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:50 AM

When you're talking about emulation for NES/SNES/MD/etc, yes, setup is usually little more than the length of time it takes to download the program and set up the controls (unless you're using Higan, f*ck that elitist piece of sh*t), but when you're getting into stuff like N64 and above, it tends to be much more of a crapshoot, messing around with various plugin configs for individual games.

OT: Good luck getting one for $60/£50 at the moment. Typical Nintendo artificial scarcity bullsh*t. I'm sticking with my RetroFreak, thanks.

Good luck is right...

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s

I think this image from a Yahoo Article is fake though, I didn't SEE anything like this on Ebay. Open or closed sales. I did see them listed for around $200-$400.

But the one for $1,225 is a joke you can buy the actual NES and games with that money.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:59 AM

ReviewTechUSA had alerted to that too, fun thing is that months ago he already predicted this would happen if Nintendo released a very limited amount of units just as they ended up doing.

We can always blame on the sellers fur being d-bags, taking opportunity of the situation at such dirty way, but it was totally expectable since it always happens with desired limited edition items. I guess Nintendo is the one to blame here, they've been promoting this thing for months (hell, even longer than their new actual platform), they received a lot of interest and good feedback from it and still decide to release a limited number of consoles, even though they could've already know this would sell well.

scalliano
  • scalliano

Ice Cold Killa

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:55 AM Edited by scalliano, 13 November 2016 - 11:58 AM.

AlphaOmegaSin called it too. Thing is, it's what Nintendo do. The Wii launch, Amiibos, same scenario. Generate a ton of hype, then ration supply to generate demand. People want stuff they can't have, and Nintendo have this manipulative sh*te down to a fine art at this point. If you really want one of these things, wait it out. Don't bend to the scalpers. They will make more of these, especially if they plan on flogging extra controllers for the thing (remember when consoles came with two joypads as standard? I do, that's how old I am).

@Banzant: All those prices are a joke. £80 will get you a real NES, easily. Granted, you still need to buy the games, but add the price of a flashcart to that and it's still well under £200.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:29 PM

Installed Jnes today and it works flawlessly with my 360 controller (deadzone support is present). It took me less than 10 minutes to set it up and the best thing about it is that it's free.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:27 PM Edited by RogerWho, 13 November 2016 - 05:31 PM.

I've never had a (S)NES and from what I've heard, its best feature is the D-pad. Nintendo even has that thing patented so all the other controllers (including MS and Sony ones) just don't have the D-pads as good.

I've tried a SNES emu some time ago, tried to play with my 360 controller and it sucked ass. And keyboard isn't exactly the best way to play a retro console game either.

So it's mostly the controller that I ordered the mini NES for. Buying an old, used original one (or a pricey new one) and then a PC adapter, and maybe fiddle with it... Not worth it I think. I don't know how good the cheapo aftermarket controllers are. I may try one out too.

The mini NES I can try out, get a loose idea what I was missing out back in the day and then maybe sell it if I find out it's not that great. And if I end up liking it, then I can maybe invest in the real thing.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

I've tried a SNES emu some time ago, tried to play with my 360 controller and it sucked ass. And keyboard isn't exactly the best way to play a retro console game either.

So it's mostly the controller that I ordered the mini NES for. Buying an old, used original one (or a pricey new one) and then a PC adapter, and maybe fiddle with it... Not worth it I think. I don't know how good the cheapo aftermarket controllers are. I may try one out too.

The mini NES I can try out, get a loose idea what I was missing out back in the day and then maybe sell it if I find out it's not that great. And if I end up liking it, then I can maybe invest in the real thing.

Have you ever heard about these? :D

ZXSpectrum48Krev.jpg

BTW most [original] NES consoles arround, working, in good condition and sometimes with 2 controllers, sell for 40-60€, so usually you can get the original machine cheaper than the plug and play. You can skip connecting it to your PC, you can try those active HDMI adapters and hook into a TV, and maybe for cheaper, if you still have one arround, you can search for composite adapters and try to connect into a CRT TV, for the real retro experience. What you'd spend the most money would be games, I have no idea if there's any custom cartridge to plug a pendrive or an SD card and play roms, but the most known and best original games sell for quite expensive.

Spoiler

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:11 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 13 November 2016 - 08:12 PM.

I've never had a (S)NES and from what I've heard, its best feature is the D-pad. Nintendo even has that thing patented so all the other controllers (including MS and Sony ones) just don't have the D-pads as good.

I doubt it. Maybe the NES one feels a bit better since it's not inside a circle like the modern ones but to be fair I think D-pads are kinda obsolete at this point. Using the analog stick on my 360 controller feels better plus the old NES controller is too small and doesn't fit properly in your hands. It's like it was designed for children.

Spoiler

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:15 PM

So has anyone picked this up yet? I will probably check for this tomorrow.

I WOULD IF I f*ckING COULD!

Man, what a bummer. I really f*cking wanted this sh*t, didn't eve realize it was on amazon, and when I checked its out of stock. I was actually going to buy 2 until I saw they said you can only buy one per address.

Dying to have this for christmas, perfect thing to f*ck with on christmas day being bored with a family.

Will be pretty upset if they don't get them in stock within the month or else I might have to cry myself to sleep.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users