Plug And Play Nintendo NES / SNES

105 replies to this topic
Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

Think different. Question everything.

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:18 PM

Engadget published a really good article regarding this console, including all its features (including the filtering option that lets the user choose between native "pixel perfect" resolution, 4:3 and CRT filtering - that doesn't look terrible) and a big con I haven't read until now regarding how short the controllers' cables are. Worth to read if you're interested.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:16 AM

BTW most [original] NES consoles arround, working, in good condition and sometimes with 2 controllers, sell for 40-60€, so usually you can get the original machine cheaper than the plug and play.

That's quite a lot for an old-ass console with used controllers (who knows where they've been) and games for extra, if I don't even know if I'd like the thing in the first place - and probably not. Again the mini NES I can try out for a few laugh, get some general idea, then probably resell it. If I do end up liking it for some reason, I'll stick with emulators and get some appropriate controller for that.

CRT TV? I don't have a TV at all. My PS3 is hooked up to my desktop monitor. Yea I'm not exactly in the market for the actual old consoles.

I doubt it. Maybe the NES one feels a bit better since it's not inside a circle like the modern ones but to be fair I think D-pads are kinda obsolete at this point.

I don't like using sticks for any kind of digital input. E.g. for in-game menus, I always use the D-pads. Analog sticks should be for analog controls. The old games never counted with analog input and playing them with one feels really strange to me. It definitely takes longer to move the finger to nudge the stick then to press the directional button so the game feels less responsive. I dunno I can't compare since I never had a NES but the analog sticks feel wrong for that.

It's like it was designed for children.

They were.

Vaulttec
  • Vaulttec

Vault Dweller

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:09 PM

For those that are saying you can pick up a original NES for $50 is wrong I sell them for $120(that's the machine 1 controller and hookups) the 30 games loose will run you another $200-$250 for them as well. Don't get me wrong I have a plug and play NES just prefer the original

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:42 PM

Vaulttec: it's OK you sell them for that price, in fact you could sell them for whatever you wanted, it doesn't necessarily mean someone will buy them though.

I said they're sold for 40-60€ because they're indeed sold in that price, at least arround here. I've considered buying one already if I didn't had other priorities.

scalliano
  • scalliano

Ice Cold Killa

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:46 AM Edited by scalliano, 16 November 2016 - 12:47 AM.

$120? I hope that's in Australian dollars ...

At the time of writing, there's an original NES going on Amazon UK for £60. I paid £70 for my refurb about a year ago.

• Zombified Andy likes this

Vaulttec
  • Vaulttec

Vault Dweller

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:28 AM

$120? I hope that's in Australian dollars ...

At the time of writing, there's an original NES going on Amazon UK for £60. I paid £70 for my refurb about a year ago.

nope that's American dollars i run my own shop.

Vaulttec: it's OK you sell them for that price, in fact you could sell them for whatever you wanted, it doesn't necessarily mean someone will buy them though.

I said they're sold for 40-60 because they're indeed sold in that price, at least arround here. I've considered buying one already if I didn't had other priorities.

as I have said I Own my own business selling retro video games. That 120 price includes new pins in the nes and cleaning in it as well. When I have them in stock they sell fast.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:52 AM

The somehow refurbished condition you sell yours sounds good, however the way you said seemed like you can't find them for cheaper - and worse - that we [and I] were wrong stating that. You can sell them for an higher price, dunno if the better condition worths about twice the price you can find them on the market but that's something up to your costumers, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong when I say usually they're sold for significantly cheaper.

Vaulttec
  • Vaulttec

Vault Dweller

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:19 PM

The somehow refurbished condition you sell yours sounds good, however the way you said seemed like you can't find them for cheaper - and worse - that we [and I] were wrong stating that. You can sell them for an higher price, dunno if the better condition worths about twice the price you can find them on the market but that's something up to your costumers, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong when I say usually they're sold for significantly cheaper.

true depends on where you are from £60 equals roughly $75 American dollars so we are not to far off the market

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:13 AM

Funny story. Yesterday I emailed my gaming store to cancel my pre-order of the NES mini, and they told me - oh, but we just shipped it.

So my 2 unites arrived today. Nice. We'll see if someone is willing to pay some insane money to still have them before tomorrow, or they'll end up as regular gifts.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2016
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:57 AM

Has anyone even got one yet at RRP?

The lowest I have seen it was around £109 on amazon.

Gave up my dream of playing it on christmas day to pass the time.

Now I feel like I will never get the f*cking thing. Are they even actually making any more?

It feels like they aren't putting nearly enough effort into this thing. It could have flew off the shelves at christmas, they could have made a sh*tload and had one in almost every household. But they damn right screwed the f*cking pooch on this one. The damn c*nts.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:06 AM

Here in Europe they are sold at RRP if you preordered them months ago; obviously not on shelves. I got my 2 units last week. Originally I wanted one for myself and one as a potential gift or whatever (I expected they'll be unavailable) but now I'm trying to get some extra cash on them :dozing:

I pretty much lost interest when they were so late on delivery so I ordered some cheapo 3rd party NES/SNES USB controllers for PC instead.

Yea. Nintendo messed up big time. Almost everyone and their dog wanted one when they were announced, but people who actually managed to get them are selling them and the whole mess just left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. If I sell both of these, I don't even care to own one again.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:08 AM

So, Russian hackers have already managed to cram more games into the mini NES - http://www.gamesrada...ts-no-big-deal/

Pretty cool. Now I kinda want it again but yep, of course it's not available again (or still). I wonder if the next hardware version will have this hack blocked.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

I'm shocked the run of these is still low. I'm still keeping my eye out for these when I have to go into Wal-Mart. :(

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

It's almost the end of f*cking January, where the flying f*ck are these little c*nts?

I am getting really f*cked off these haven't been stocked yet. What the f*ck are Nintendo playing at?

I should have got one when I saw it for £110 before christmas. I highly doubt we will get these available any time soon if not at all. I can totally see them saying f*ck it and ditching it altogether.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

We already know the Switch will run NES/SNES games, but what if it has a new version of Virtual Console as good as the one on the mini NES? I think it would be pretty cool to just go and buy the ROMs of the games you want, and play with the same quality of this thing from the upcoming console.

It's almost the end of f*cking January, where the flying f*ck are these little c*nts?

I am getting really f*cked off these haven't been stocked yet. What the f*ck are Nintendo playing at?

I should have got one when I saw it for £110 before christmas. I highly doubt we will get these available any time soon if not at all. I can totally see them saying f*ck it and ditching it altogether.

Saddens me to say, but it seems Nintendo enjoys the fact people are selling these for ridiculous prices on eBay. They clearly know this is successful, yet they won't produce any more.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:25 AM

You didn't hear? Nintendo underestimated the Mini NES demand because they thought only old blokes who don't even play games anymore would have any interest in it and not pretty much everyone, as anybody literate could figure out just by looking anywhere on the internet for the last 8 months.

"When we looked at that proposition what we believed was the adults, 30-40 years old, who grew up playing NES as a kid, 10 years old or so but had stepped away from the gaming category--that was going to be the buyer [of the NES Classic]," Fils-Aime said. "As we thought about that, that led us to a certain level of supply."

As for Switch/ROMs - come on. Arguing that Switch can play NES games makes no sense. You might as well play the ROMs on the PC or on a phone or whatever. There's nothing special about the virtual console or even the mini NES from the standpoint of the actual games and how they look or work.

The point of the NES mini was to have a small cute nostalgic toy, not a console replacement.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:17 AM

As for Switch/ROMs - come on. Arguing that Switch can play NES games makes no sense. You might as well play the ROMs on the PC or on a phone or whatever. There's nothing special about the virtual console or even the mini NES from the standpoint of the actual games and how they look or work.

Well, we know there'll be a monthly free classic Nintendo game port for the paid subscription, so it wouldn't make sense if Virtual Console was included - and then why not being an updated version, that can output high quality video and audio, just like the mini NES?

I understand these games might not be your cup of tea (tbh neither is mine, most are just too frustrating to play due to the "arcade machine" difficulty level of the games - however when it comes to the SNES it's a whole different story, at least for me :) ), however it would be great for retro game appreciators to have an official, really optimized emulator straight from their console to play at your home TV or on the go, and whoever willing to pay the monthly subscription would be able to enjoy their classic game much better than on the crap virtual console is atm.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

Well okay, still the point is that any regular console, emulator or any other way to play those games isn't competition for the mini NES as that is truly its own thing.

And I know people seem to say that about every piece of hardware Nintendo ever makes but in this case it's true.

Last year I bought some pocket console with 200 built-in games in it (knockoffs of popular titles and brands, but nothing really infringing). It was light as a feather, tiny and cheap, and the quality was okay (until it broke that is).

But I wouldn't care to play those same games on a PSPV/3DS. The miniconsole was a funky toy, and that's the same point for the mini NES.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:50 PM Edited by trip, 23 January 2017 - 02:59 PM.

Look...I'm not busting on the mini NES even though I see it as an unnecessary quick money grab for Nintendo.

I'm still convinced any of those 'plug into your tv retro controllers/consoles' aren't want people want them to be. The don't bring back the feeling of being a 10 year old...they don't bring back the awe inspiring feelings that those games made you feel when first playing them.

Those games were groundbreaking in their day - for sure. Now a days they just look(and usually play) like ass.

Once again this is coming from someone who has owned a number of retro plug-n-play setups, someone who has (near)complete Atair2600, Intellivision consoles from the day...Plus 3 full arcade machines(MAME) that get played at least weekly since 2000.

Why are people so crazy for this mini NES? Why not just build out your own retro gaming setup on a cheap PC or even a raspberry Pi?

Or...why not just relive your memories and grab up an old school NES and a bunch of games? From my personal experience it is way more nostalgic fun to grab and old school cartridge from the day and jam it into an original console than it is to pick the retro game you want to play off of a menu served by way of a piece of plastic that is suppose to replicate the plastic you remembered how ever many years ago.
  • Tchuck and Coleco like this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

Like I said, it's not about the console or the games. It's a toy basically. A cute little thing. If you don't understand the appeal of owning random pieces of technology, then you aren't a geek :)

And I'm pretty sure the nostalgia is strong with this one indeed. I've never owned a NES, in fact I was barely aware of its existence until much later (console gaming wasn't a thing around here until the PS1). But sometimes I do like to buy old-school things I 'missed' during my own childhood/teens, such as film cameras or portable CD players.

As for why not buy a full-blown NES - because it's gigantic, even the cartridges are huge and I don't have the space. It's also expensive to get those old games if you want more than just a couple. Also: it's used and decades old. Dunno about you but I don't enjoy playing with controllers that were who knows where.

Regarding emulation, I still haven't found a good controller for those old games. The x360 and Ps3 controllers I own have crappy D-pads for this purpose, keyboard doesn't feel right and the USB NES and SNES knockoff controllers I got recently are so stiff they're quite unusable.

I guess that's one advantage Nintendo consoles have as they still have proper D-pads - at least I think so.

Either way, a 50 € small, well made machine with a good controller, usable without any fuss that allows people to play those old games in a way they were intended - sounds reasonable to me.

You argue with Raspberry Pi but even that will cost more and will require some setup and need to search for a suitable controller.

Also don't forget the Russian hackers already managed to jailbreak the mini NES and cram up to 90 games into it.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

Why are people so crazy for this mini NES? Why not just build out your own retro gaming setup on a cheap PC or even a raspberry Pi?

Because the raspberry pi is a pile of sh*t that is a pain in the ass to manipulate. A f*cking gigatower pc in your living room just to play a f*cking NES game is f*cking ridiculous.

The closest to the best option is a £100 windows 8 PC stick that shoves in your TV like a memory stick and play stuff on that.

The issue there is that you will then need a keyboard and mouse setup, and it ruins the flow of simply just switching on a dedicated box that is idiot proof that will remain the same after the apocalypse. Nothing to go wrong, designed to do only it's one job. That is satisfying.

I never thought I would care, because why give a f*ck about this thing when you can get everything you ever wanted on an emulator at any time with infinite catalogue and console list. Well as above, that satisfaction from knowing it does what it only needs to.

Partially my main hope for this was that due to the cheap RRP, I could get one and get another for my niece and nephew and get them into gaming without having to leave them with an overly complicated device in order to boot up the game they want. And something also cheap enough that if they vomit on it and throw it out of a moving car it doesn't matter. That was partially they key there for me.

I technically would rather use my own controller of choice, my own set of games of my choice and have the option of netplay, but the beauty is in the simplicity and to have something that looks awesome that you can actually use and just get away from tedious sh*t on a PC or console. No distractions, just focused gameplay. It is also exciting as this is the first time something has been made that isn't a pile of sh*t. Plug and play before are way more of a kids toy than a serious device that someone can actually use. The £50+ Sega one I got sucks ass, the framerate is slowed down to f*ckery, the wireless controllers are like TV remotes so if you don't keep them aimed you don't get any control whatsoever. There is no save states or anything. This nintendo box on the other hand is quality and is something you can actually rely on, but cheap enough to be an awesome gift for pretty much anyone in the world, into gaming or not.

You didn't hear? Nintendo underestimated the Mini NES demand because they thought only old blokes who don't even play games anymore would have any interest in it and not pretty much everyone, as anybody literate could figure out just by looking anywhere on the internet for the last 8 months.

"When we looked at that proposition what we believed was the adults, 30-40 years old, who grew up playing NES as a kid, 10 years old or so but had stepped away from the gaming category--that was going to be the buyer [of the NES Classic]," Fils-Aime said. "As we thought about that, that led us to a certain level of supply."

The point of the NES mini was to have a small cute nostalgic toy, not a console replacement.

How the f*ck can Nintendo underestimate the market?

They hold on tight to the super mario 2d formula like the cure for cancer. If you released any classic mario on something like the mobile platform, every single person with a phone would buy it. For the price they are asking it is a f*cking steal. It doesn't even have to be designed for gamers or adults at all. The kids toy market alone could be swamped to f*ck by this. If you ask any human, to name a game, I guarantee you almost everyone will say "Mario". It is beyond gaming at this point.

This also appeals to those wanting to relive old games but without having to buy some moronic gimmick filled nintendo console or a modern gaming console just for a bit of casual fun. It literally has no boundaries to who it could be sold to. It can go and work anywhere in the world. By shaving off the unnecessary features like removable games, internet connectivity and charging controllers, you basically have a downside-free cheap gaming console.

The perfect console.

And I for one, want a SNES version and even an N64 version.

Sega should have done theirs properly like this years ago.

• Tchuck likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

The closest to the best option is a £100 windows 8 PC stick that shoves in your TV like a memory stick and play stuff on that.

The issue there is that you will then need a keyboard and mouse setup, and it ruins the flow of simply just switching on a dedicated box that is idiot proof that will remain the same after the apocalypse. Nothing to go wrong, designed to do only it's one job. That is satisfying.

A brick would be perfect. Under $100 in lots of cases.
https://www.newegg.c...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Map all needed actions to a controller(gravis) and then there is no need for a keyboard/mouse.

robban
  • robban

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:11 PM Edited by robban, 19 February 2017 - 06:19 PM.

Any of you guys are pumped for Hakchi v2.12?

C420XgtWMAAz3ui.jpg

https://twitter.com/...519851587563521

Update will be out anytime now : ]

https://github.com/C...akchi2/releases

And it´s live xD

https://github.com/C...leases/tag/2.12

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:21 PM

I can get one of these for €50, but I don't really want it, anyone here want it for that price (no shipping included, item is in the Netherlands).

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

16864759_10158201720010403_8392993095100

I finally got mine! Haven't played with it yet, I've been busy. I might try to find a second one for modding.

• Fireman and trip like this

toxluv
  • toxluv

男の子は泣かない

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Italy

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

My local game store has it for 60 and I'm so tempted to buy it!

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

is the main attraction to this thing that you can play with the original controller?

because I still don't get it.

my laptop has an NES, SNES, and SEGA Genesis emulator on it.

I've got a little folder filled with thousands of ROMs that takes up a negligible fraction of disk space. almost the entire catalogue of games from each system. I can play them anywhere, any time, on any big TV screen with the right cable, and it's been this way since like 2006... and it's free :lol:

I still don't understand why Nintendo doesn't do this.

just release an official, comprehensive emulator suite.

• trip likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:07 PM Edited by trip, 25 February 2017 - 11:08 PM.

It's because it's 'cute'.
  • El Diablo and RogerWho like this

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:31 AM

I can get one of these for €50, but I don't really want it, anyone here want it for that price (no shipping included, item is in the Netherlands).

Really? You can get more than one? I live in Belgium and it's pretty much no where to be found.

I have one pre ordered from a place which will ship first week of March but it was limited to one per customer. I have friends who are still interested in getting one.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:16 AM Edited by Fireman, 26 February 2017 - 11:18 AM.

Nah it was just one and it's gone already :p

But just check 2dehands.be and Marktplaats, wait for one that allows you to bid and bid below €50.

• FullMetal likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users