Plug And Play Nintendo NES / SNES

105 replies to this topic
Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:58 AM

Nintendo_Classic_Mini_NES-616x380.jpg

Nintendo is coming out with a Plug and Play HDMI video game set with 30 games including...

• Balloon Fight
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Double Dragon II The Revenge
  • Dr. Mario
  • Excitebike
  • Final Fantasy
  • Galaga
  • Ghosts’N Goblins
  • Gradius
  • Ice Climber
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby’s Adventure
  • Mario Bros.
  • Mega Man 2
  • Metroid
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Pac-Man
  • Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
  • StarTropics
  • Super C
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link!

Said to be in stores November 11th and will come with one controller with the option to purchase another for $10.00 and these will work with the Nintendo Wii and WiiU

I've got all these games, but for $60.00 bucks I definitely want one. I do hope these controllers feel like the original. I also would have liked these to be wireless.

Honestly, I think Nintendo would have made more money by making a Mega Man Theme NES package with all the Mega Man games on it, instead of just putting Mega Man 2 on this unit...

Anyone else getting one? What games should have been on this system?

• Daz, Tchuck, Mister Pink and 7 others like this

Android
  • Android

Oreo

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:05 AM

I saw this a few days ago via Nintendo's FB page, I'm pretty excited for it, considering it's a bunch of classic games I never had the chance to play through before. Wasn't around for the original NES, so it should be pretty awesome. They already sell Sega Genesis consoles like this for around the same price, I don't believe they're official though.. I have one of them.

JZFB
  • JZFB

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:10 AM

Said to be in stores November 11th and will come with one controller with the option to purchase another for $10.00 and these will work with the Nintendo Wii and WiiU

I've got all these games, but for $60.00 bucks I definitely want one. I do hope these controllers feel like the original. I also would have liked these to be wireless.

Honestly, I think Nintendo would have made more money by making a Mega Man Theme NES package with all the Mega Man games on it, instead of just putting Mega Man 2 on this unit...

Anyone else getting one? What games should have been on this system?

Not f*cking Dr Mario, that's for sure lol. Agree that it should have been a Mega Man package as opposed to just 2 as well.

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:50 AM Edited by TheFoxRiverFugitive, 17 July 2016 - 05:51 AM.

Brings back memories. I still have my old NES but when I retrieved it from the storage unit, I discovered that mice had chewed-up the AC adapter. I've been meaning to get a new one...

Anyway, that's quite a fine selection of games they're throwing in, and the price is great. The fact that StarTropics is one of the included titles is very nice to see, it was such an underappreciated game that got too much flak for being like Zelda. I encourage people to buy this.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:11 AM

What games should have been on this system?

uh, how about all of them?

this is why I won't be buying this thing. because it's silly.

it's 2016.

either give me a Mini system with the entire library of games, or don't give me one at all. the largest game the NES ever had was something like a Legend of Zelda rom. even that sh/t can't be more than what, 125kb??

I'm not paying 60 bucks for just 30 random titles. I want to play the games I want to play. even the obscure ones that weren't popular. give me access to the NES complete library. it would take a fraction of space on a little modern harddrive.

until they do that, I can live without this thing in my life.

• The Yokel likes this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:27 AM

One thing I'm not understanding is how people can complain about this product only having a select amount of titles with it, yet not realsing that both the PS4 and XOne are non-stop releasing updated/HD/Definitive/[insert other fancy name here] games at full retail price. Yes, it's 2016 and there are many other ways of playing all these titles anyway without having this in their life, but for the casual gamer who wants some nostalgia, £50 seems a great price to me, especially when you realise games like this still sell for stupid money.

To me, it's a piece of gaming history, with 30 titles in one package...I just can't see why anyone can complain about it at all...

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:47 PM Edited by Fireman, 17 July 2016 - 03:51 PM.

Literally pleb casual list of games you can pick up at any flea market for $2 and with A REAL LIFE NES console being only $10-20, no way I'm going to spend anything on this.

EDIT: This is how someone can complain KilnerLUFC :p

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

Think different. Question everything.

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:50 PM

I was about to post it, you were several hours quicker than me.

I'm definitely looking forward to buy one. Too bad it doesn't have a slot for pendrives or SD cards for downloaded ROMs or even a slot for original cartridges, but it's an awesome collectible and a fun thing to have some hours on entertainment, AND as an official Nintendo console. I've seen some people saying that to get something like this it would be better and simpler to get a pc emulator (or a smartphone emulator, like I do :p ) but but I think that's not the point of this and instead as a cool collector's item.

I just hope Nintendo makes enough to be sold arround the world and not just on US and Japan, and on an actual amount for all the interested costumers and not a ridiculously low number to see them being sold for small fortunes by the usual eBay douches.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2016
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

Super hyped for this. What I have been waiting for from them for f*cking years.

I care more about this than any games coming out, aside from BF1.

It does kind of suck it has no internet connectivity, non expandable games, proprietary controllers etc. But I also kind of like that. I like that it is a 100% dedicated device to do just what it is designed to do. Not a lot of things like that are still around these days. Mobile phones used to be awesome when all you could do on them was make a f*cking call or text.

I have been buying up those sega licensed tv consoles, but the quality is pretty sh*t. This hopefully will be top notch, hdmi and good quality as it's a first party product.

As I am sure everyone is expecting, hopefully we can get a snes one next, then an N64 version. They will make serious bank on this sh*t if the price remains low and the quality high. Almost no reason not to own one.

Sure I could have all the roms I want on my PC or phone, but there is just something satisfying about a dedicated device that does what it does well and will never have any problems. I kind of like that.

So yeah, shut up and take my money.

• El Diablo, Tchuck, Android and 1 other like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:33 PM

Might have to get it. I have my Gameboy Advanced SP NES edition, which I bought with Excitebike, Metroid, and The Legend of Zelda, but I would like to play on the big screen.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:00 PM Edited by The Yokel, 17 July 2016 - 05:00 PM.

Wow, they couldn't have added all the NES games on that thing? Even if it added another $10 cost it would have been more than worth it. This will sell like hotcakes, no doubt about it. But it would have sold better and at a higher price if it was filled with games. It just seems so lazy.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:28 PM

To me, it's a piece of gaming history, with 30 titles in one package...I just can't see why anyone can complain about it at all...

it's not a piece of gaming history.

an original NES with original box and instruction manual: that is a piece of gaming history.

this is just a little dedicated emulator.

it's easy to complain about this thing; the controllers should be wireless, it should be online, it should let us pick from any game in the NES library. the 30 games they provide are nice but pretty pedestrian and casual choices. it's missing a lot of games I would want to play. so to me it's an overpriced hunk of plastic that I wouldn't enjoy.

Daz is right though.

they need to do this with the N64. that's the market.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2016
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

Wow, they couldn't have added all the NES games on that thing? Even if it added another $10 cost it would have been more than worth it. This will sell like hotcakes, no doubt about it. But it would have sold better and at a higher price if it was filled with games. It just seems so lazy.

Its probably because if they put all the best games on it nobody would buy them off the store on the f*cking wii or NX or whatever the f*ck they are doing.

It makes business sense but not really gamer sense. Especially that there wont be any way to even buy more. But I guess if we had that nobody would buy their new console as that is all they are good for these days. Old classics.

Vaulttec
  • Vaulttec

Vault Dweller

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:28 PM Edited by Vaulttec, 17 July 2016 - 06:30 PM.

Literally pleb casual list of games you can pick up at any flea market for $2 and with A REAL LIFE NES console being only $10-20, no way I'm going to spend anything on this.

firemen I have no idea what you're talking about I sell Nintendo products for a living and there's no way in hell I would ever sells super Mario three super Mario Brothers Mega Man two for $2-$3 even the system I would sell for $60-$80. I can understand if you're talking about the games as a loose cartridge but at the box like what idea where no way they're worth that.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

And ruin their Virtual Console business? Maybe not the best move for Nintendo.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:06 PM

Fireman, I don't know what flea markets you're going to but if you can find a loose cart of MegaMan 2 for under $25.00 you better pick that up. Most of the games on this list are at 15-30 bucks and up. This isn't Ebay prices because those are worse!

KingAndy, I doubt this has any kind of effect on Nintendos Virtual download section, that's free money for them. They don't need to rely on that market at all because it's costing them next to nothing to have it there.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

At first I thought you were talking utter crap just to try and make a point against my post, but then I saw it was an edit, so no, you're just talking utter crap. I'm in no way an expert on the price of older games, but from the various Game Trading groups I was on on FB, I know those prices you quoted are way below the mark.

it's not a piece of gaming history.

an original NES with original box and instruction manual: that is a piece of gaming history.

this is just a little dedicated emulator.

it's easy to complain about this thing; the controllers should be wireless, it should be online, it should let us pick from any game in the NES library. the 30 games they provide are nice but pretty pedestrian and casual choices. it's missing a lot of games I would want to play. so to me it's an overpriced hunk of plastic that I wouldn't enjoy.

Daz is right though.

they need to do this with the N64. that's the market.

Without been pedantic, you knew what I was getting at. Obviously this isn't history, obviously it's just an emulation kit...I just meant in terms of nostalgia and whatnot, it's a way for many gamers to either re-live, or experience for the first time, some great games.

Can't see them doing this for the N64 anytime soon though, sadly.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:47 PM Edited by Fireman, 17 July 2016 - 10:51 PM.

At first I thought you were talking utter crap just to try and make a point against my post, but then I saw it was an edit, so no, you're just talking utter crap. I'm in no way an expert on the price of older games, but from the various Game Trading groups I was on on FB, I know those prices you quoted are way below the mark.

I exagerrated a bit, but not much, NES console is pretty much the price I mentioned and loose cartridges of popular games vary from €2,50 to €20 on the internet. With how popular and well-sold some of these games are you might be able to pick them up much cheaper at a flea market. Sure it'll be quite a bit more expensive than the plug and play, but you'll actually have the console and the games, which, for something you will never play but only display, seems like a better idea (that's what I imagine people doing with it once they bought it).

It is very possible that your trading groups were actually collectors and thus wanted to buy boxed games, then you're looking at quite large numbers.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:08 PM

Hardcore gamers will want original games and likely go as far as to set up their system on a 32" 90's television so they get the best picture...I plan on it myself but for now I don't have the space.

This is Nintendo's answer to a more common market, who want to play these games on a 60+ inch HDTV, who don't need to spend an average $20.00 per game if not more. Sure, you could hook the NES to an HDMI TV, but it will look horrible and a decent Component to HDMI will certainly cost around $80.00 -$200.00 depending on how serious you want to go with that route.

I'm wondering how the save feature is going to work, I'd like it if it was kind of like a save bank which the Super Mario All-Stars game had...

• Daz likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:30 PM

What games should have been on this system?

uh, how about all of them?

this is why I won't be buying this thing. because it's silly.

it's 2016.

either give me a Mini system with the entire library of games, or don't give me one at all. the largest game the NES ever had was something like a Legend of Zelda rom. even that sh/t can't be more than what, 125kb??

I'm not paying 60 bucks for just 30 random titles. I want to play the games I want to play. even the obscure ones that weren't popular. give me access to the NES complete library. it would take a fraction of space on a little modern harddrive.

until they do that, I can live without this thing in my life.

The price is not that bad though this thing still doesn't make a lot of sense. I take it that most of the people who are interested in this are Nintendo fans who like to collect their merch. I mean they could have done the emulation on the Wii or Wii U. You don't need a separate console for this.

The limited amount of games might have something to do with copyright. Nintendo doesn't actually own most of the games released on the NES.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:10 AM Edited by KingAndy, 18 July 2016 - 12:12 AM.

KingAndy, I doubt this has any kind of effect on Nintendos Virtual download section, that's free money for them. They don't need to rely on that market at all because it's costing them next to nothing to have it there.

I thought about that after watching ReviewTechUSA's video about this subject. It is truth virtual console doesn't cost anything to Nintendo because the full games are there and there's no need to patch them or whatsoever, but still that is an income source they surely don't want to attack with another product. Just see - the prices stated on the official website for Wii users, a NES game costs 1$, and about 5 bucks for a non Wii owner. 30 games are either 30 dollars (already half the value of the console) or about 150 dollars (more than twice the value of the console). Now, acording to Wikipedia there's 679 known games released on the States, which would make a value of at least 679$. Even if this console costed like 100$, if it offered the whole library it would represent a massive ammount of money that Nintendo did NOT received from Virtual Console. Plus, even if it apparently doesn't cost "anything" for Nintendo so you could think it doesn't represent a loss, (I think) some of the games' rights aren't fully belonging to Nintendo.

Just think - if you could get the whole library of NES games on this platform for 100$, why would you even bother to buy them on your Wii U or 3DS (which most gamers don't even own)?

Spoiler

Vaulttec
  • Vaulttec

Vault Dweller

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:43 AM

Hardcore gamers will want original games and likely go as far as to set up their system on a 32" 90's television so they get the best picture...I plan on it myself but for now I don't have the space.

This is Nintendo's answer to a more common market, who want to play these games on a 60+ inch HDTV, who don't need to spend an average $20.00 per game if not more. Sure, you could hook the NES to an HDMI TV, but it will look horrible and a decent Component to HDMI will certainly cost around $80.00 -$200.00 depending on how serious you want to go with that route.

I'm wondering how the save feature is going to work, I'd like it if it was kind of like a save bank which the Super Mario All-Stars game had...

I agree with you there I cater to the hardcore crowd I have a boxed Mega Man 2 for $175 and it sells like hot cakes. but to agree with your point I hope there saves there mostly likely are considering some of those games require a save might be like the wii U with saves

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:41 AM

I agree with you there I cater to the hardcore crowd I have a boxed Mega Man 2 for $175 and it sells like hot cakes. but to agree with your point I hope there saves there mostly likely are considering some of those games require a save might be like the wii U with saves

The "common market" simply gets an emulator and downloads the games for free, nowadays you can even run them on a single core smartphone like I did with my old one, and they're way more simple than before with all those plugins that weren't optimized for every game and you had to set up everything by yourself; or take the virtual console path to avoid the legal concerns of the first option. People who just want to have some quick fun with these old games want easy and free options, and a 60$ console doesn't seem like the answer for them.

I think by "common market" you mean the non-"hardcore" market, those purist guys that think if the game isn't played on a real console, the cartridge-blowing ritual performed, and played on an actual 80s CRT TV, most of the game is lost (which is kinda truth tbh), and like me still get happy with a modern alternate, with modern technology, and a list of variate and successful NES games (that is why the idea of a MegaMan themed plug and play NES doesn't seem like a good idea at all since it would be only appealing to MegaMan fans), yet I think people exagerate with that "hardcore gamer" term. What is that, exacly? A dude that can't stand a collectors item and thinks it's meant for inferior people than him that don't value retro gaming like him, ending up being the one comparing the real console with this plug and play console? (not referring this to anybody here, just trying to understand that concept)

I personally have been hunting for an NES for quite some time but I always have other priorities for my money and going for a cheap one sounds like a terrible idea with all the hardware issues it might experience. I'm very interested on this one, but I can't see it as a "replacement" for the original NES - it's a very cool collectible, something that's going to be fun to play with, and to discover the NES (and the 8-bit era) for younger players that never really cared about that, but not as an alternate to the real console. I can't understand why some people keep comparing them and acting like that everywhere I go.

Vaulttec
  • Vaulttec

Vault Dweller

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:53 AM

The "common market" simply gets an emulator and downloads the games for free, nowadays you can even run them on a single core smartphone like I did with my old one, and they're way more simple than before with all those plugins that weren't optimized for every game and you had to set up everything by yourself; or take the virtual console path to avoid the legal concerns of the first option. People who just want to have some quick fun with these old games want easy and free options, and a 60$ console doesn't seem like the answer for them.

I think by "common market" you mean the non-"hardcore" market, those purist guys that think if the game isn't played on a real console, the cartridge-blowing ritual performed, and played on an actual 80s CRT TV, most of the game is lost (which is kinda truth tbh), and like me still get happy with a modern alternate, with modern technology, and a list of variate and successful NES games (that is why the idea of a MegaMan themed plug and play NES doesn't seem like a good idea at all since it would be only appealing to MegaMan fans), yet I think people exagerate with that "hardcore gamer" term. What is that, exacly? A dude that can't stand a collectors item and thinks it's meant for inferior people than him that don't value retro gaming like him, ending up being the one comparing the real console with this plug and play console? (not referring this to anybody here, just trying to understand that concept)

I personally have been hunting for an NES for quite some time but I always have other priorities for my money and going for a cheap one sounds like a terrible idea with all the hardware issues it might experience. I'm very interested on this one, but I can't see it as a "replacement" for the original NES - it's a very cool collectible, something that's going to be fun to play with, and to discover the NES (and the 8-bit era) for younger players that never really cared about that, but not as an alternate to the real console. I can't understand why some people keep comparing them and acting like that everywhere I go.
hardcore collectors are the ones that got to have a Complete in box one along with a "lose one" to play. most of the people that come to my store are those types. I personally will be buying the plug and play one. it's like you said it's going to get the younger generation into 8 but games ones that can't afford a nes with the original games Nintendo is going to make a killing on this.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:46 AM

King Andy, the common market does NOT simply grab the emulator and enjoy the games as originally played. There's a risk of downloading a virus on most sites. The fact that even if you find the emulator and games it's not the same as playing it on a console.

Emulators and ROMS are free...but you need to know how to use them to make them work. To get the true feel of playing you need an original NES Controller...that's gonna set you back only $10.00-$15.00 bucks...but that's not going to plug into your PC....you need an adapter...which is another $10.00-$15.00 bucks...at this point you are already at half of what the new system costs. If you plan on using a desktop or PC, you need to play this on the family HDMI TV which now you need a HDMI cable, which is another $15.00 ...After all this, you sill need to know how to use the emulator.

While this is simple for most of us hard core gamers, it's a money pit and a shoot and miss for others. It is also not giving any money to Nintendo....a company who needs it more than ever.

I think if this sells well, it will provide Nintendo the motivation to push out more of what consumers what in future games and hopefully bring us a SNES and N64 Plug in play system.

*** I also want to point out as of now there is NO confirmation about adding new games to this current release...so it's still a possibility!

• Tchuck likes this

JZFB
  • JZFB

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:21 AM

They did say the device won't have internet or external storage capacity which essentially rules out the possibility of more games down the line.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:26 AM

They did say the device won't have internet or external storage capacity which essentially rules out the possibility of more games down the line.

Ah I didn't notice, that's too bad. They could have tied in the WII marketplace to add more...they should have thought of this as it would have put that market on the map for more users. Then again, this is cheap software so it may have ended up costing more than it was worth.

JZFB
  • JZFB

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:24 AM

To be fair, I'd only just stumbled on a polygon article a few moments before that where they'd said as much. Doesn't seem to be mentioned much elsewhere.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:02 PM Edited by RogerWho, 18 July 2016 - 12:07 PM.

I'm totally getting this. I never had a NES and I'm sure I'll never 'beat' any of those games as they're probably brutally difficult compared to what's out today :D

Anyone knows if this is gonna be produced and sold normally or only as some stupid limited edition and later resold on ebay for 10x the price?

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:11 PM

Vanzant, I think you're overcomplicating the emulators thing... On an Android smartphone they are the most straightfoward you could think of, just install, get some ROMs and you're ready to play, no configuration or even the need to get and set up the BIOS for these old consoles. About the viruses, that reminds me the excuse Mac and iPhone users say about their OS regarding safety - on both cases, you can avoid them with some common sense. If you don't fall for the "auto-installers" and clickbait ads you won't have problems. Finally, about all you mentioned about the controllers, that is yet another thing the "common market" wouldn't care of. A lot of people don't mind to use a generic controller, or even no controller at all and stick to either in-screen smartphone keys or PC keyboard; that's something players who expect something more than just the game (such as you) that expect the "feel" of the real controller.

I also disagree that Nintendo needs money more than ever - they are economically fine, they're not in risk to go bankrupt or anything; they just need to go back to the spotlight, because amongst the gaming community their current platforms are rather ignored. Even if they weren't, I really don't think 60 bucks plug and play consoles would be the right approach... I mean, I really loved this idea, and I wish they would come foward to release later the SNES version (possibly my favourite Nintendo platform), but I think Nintendo sticks too much to their classic games instead of being more innovative, and that's one of the reasons the Wii U isn't more popular. What Nintendo needs to continue being a relevant gaming brand imo is to be innovative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users