A truck has hit a large group of people in Nice, France at a fireworks show. There are 73 confirmed deaths.
Eyewitness reports suggest that gunfire was exchanged between Police and the driver. Earlier reports of a hostage situation are unsubstantiated, say the French Interior Minister.
If you are in the area, remain indoors. Do not use the mobile telephone network except for essential communications - use WiFi where possible.
Source & Live Thread: https://www.reddit.c...e/x99pqdwudg0l/
Screenshot (SFW) of crowd before the attack: https://pbs.twimg.co...ARCuz.jpg:large
Screenshot (SFW} of the truck after the attack: https://d2kmm3vx031a...s-547392386.jpg
Barrack Obama on the attack: https://twitter.com/...739701236801536
Updates & Confirmation (As of 15/07/2016, 19:12 GMT+0)
- 84 confirmed dead, including children. 100+ currently injured.
- Attacker is dead after being shot by French police. Early reports mention two attackers, although this has not been confirmed and is very unlikely at this point.
- Truck drove through a crowd celebrating Bastille Day (Independence Day in France) before driver stopped, got out and shot at civilians and police.
- Early reports of smoke near the Eiffel Tower. This has nothing to do with the attack, was simply an accident with fireworks.
- Reports suggest that the terrorist was a 31-year-old from Nice with Tunisian origins.
- Truck had weapons and grenades inside.
- Truck was a rental vehicle.
Unconfirmed (As of 15/07/2016, 03:50 GMT+0)
- Unconfirmed reports that the truck drove through the crowd for possibly 2-3 miles at about 25-30mph before stopping.
Unconfirmed reports of a hostage situation in the Meridien and Negresco hotels, unlikely at this point.
- Unconfirmed reports that the driver of the truck shot out the windows as he drove through the crowd.