GTA 3 doesn't work for me (PS2)

7 replies to this topic
Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

I have been wanting to get a copy of GTA 3 ever since I first got my hands on Vice City. 

Now I bought a gta 3 for ps2 and started playing it. It keeps crashing. Everytime the game is started, there will be an amount of time before the roads start becoming transparent (blue hell can be seen) and the text "Error reading disc" pops up. It isn't because of scratches because it starts crashing like this the moment I first played it, I've played discs that have way worse scratches and they work fine. It isn't because of the ps2 either because its well maintained and every other single game I have works perfectly. 

I am barely able to complete missions since it crashes so randomly. Sometimes I get lucky and the game crashes after I completed multiple missions and saved. However sometimes it crashes before I even drove to the place. Right now I managed to get to the second island and completed 34 missions but the crashing becomes more unforgiving as I progress. 

I tried fixing the disc over 11 times already using various methods including the well known toothpaste method. 

Please is there a way to fix this without buying a new copy?

If not at least tell me why this is happening.

Also I did search around the internet and have encountered people with similar problems with mine, but none of them have provided a good way to solve it and none of them said the methods actually work.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:51 AM

Do you have a possibility to check the disk with the game on other PS2 (maybe some of your friend's?). Fact that PS2 is well maintained and other games are working doesn't mean that this one will. I had a similar problem in 2005 when every game apart from GT4 was working well, but this one kept loading infinitely. Turns out it was faulty laser and I had no choice, but to gave it to repair. In your case it's most important if you check different console with disk and different GTA III disk with this console (if this is possible) to rule out the causes that may keep you from playing.

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:54 AM

I found the problem. I ran the disc through a dvd checker and found some sort of corruption in audio files. Turns out it was flashback fm. Everytime I enter a vehicle with flashback fm on the game will crash. 

Now I just need a list of vehicles to avoid so I can prevent the Flashback fm bug.

gts.
  • gts.

Please do not walk on the grass

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:22 AM

That sounds annoying, avoid Flashback FM every time you get into a vehicle. I recommend you buy a new GTA III copy or at least, in a better state. On Amazon there are some good copies.

Fooking Rekt
  • Fooking Rekt

Special Vehicle Collector

• BUSTED!
  • GoSquared

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:55 AM

Can't you change the contents of the disc,

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

I don't think it allows people to.

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

Jah radio is with it too.

Inadequate
  • Inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

Can't you change the contents of the disc,

You can, recompiling the game disc again with the modifications but you need a modded PS2 at the same time for read the modded disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users