Photo

Official Mass Effect Topic

904 replies to this topic
Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:49 AM Edited by Matrelith, 11 July 2017 - 08:51 AM.

Watched some gameplay of Mass Effect 1, the beginning only; it look amazing, I love how the game is presented, feels like a sci-fi movie, I dont know, the story seems to be really good. I've never played it though, I think I should take it.

I'd say go for it. Mass Effect 1 is the best part of the trilogy in my opinion. It's a 10 year old game but it has aged very well. 

• anthony and Actlikeyouknow like this

fashion
  • fashion

f*ck you microtransactions

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

First Contact prequel would be dreadfully boring because not much actually happened. A few skirmishes and it was over in a few months or w/e; something afterwards might be interesting though.

I agree and the excitement of meeting and fighting against a new alien species would be nonexistent because we know the turians quite well already. The only way to make it happen is to let us play as the turians. They know the citadel species and it would be hella exciting to see how the citadel was before humans came along. I'd actually buy that.

Sadly, the developers have trouble thinking outside the box and we only get to play as different species in MP crates *sigh*. Seriously, a die hard fan of the franchise should become the creative director, a guy with more imagination willing to try out new stuff. Multiple protags wouldn't hurt at all.
  • Actlikeyouknow likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:15 AM

Bioware needs to make a Mass Effect game that is smaller in scope. With a more personal story instead of saving entire worlds, species and galaxies. And let us play with different species. They seem to have no understanding of why people loved the original trilogy. It's mind-boggling.

• Grae, HaythamKenway, Zello and 3 others like this

Coin
  • Coin

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

Writing has always been bordering on bad when it comes to BioWare; gameplay has always been the strong suit that usually comes together more than well enough to overlook the writing flaws.

They've arguably got the best writing team on board now that they've ever had... but it doesn't matter if they don't utilise it properly, which they aren't. I doubt they'll care if Anthem is a success though unfortunately.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:00 PM Edited by Zello, 10 July 2017 - 07:00 PM.

I wouldn't mind a prequel where we play as the Protheans but it'd be too similar to the OT and we already know what happens to them.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:14 PM

Writing has always been bordering on bad when it comes to BioWare; gameplay has always been the strong suit that usually comes together more than well enough to overlook the writing flaws.

They've arguably got the best writing team on board now that they've ever had... but it doesn't matter if they don't utilise it properly, which they aren't. I doubt they'll care if Anthem is a success though unfortunately.

Tbh i'd argue that's not really the case. Dragon Age Origins didn't pull you in with great combat but an interesting world and good characters. Same with Mass Effect 1.

I think the Mass Effect series just got the shaft in terms of writers to be honest. DA is far more consistent.

Actlikeyouknow
  • Actlikeyouknow

One ugly motherf*cker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:43 AM

To be honest, if they did a prequel game, they should do a game about the "Morning War" between the Quarians and Geth. Let's say you play as a Quarian Military Commander and the entire campaign  is from the beginning of the War to the final evacuation of Rannoch. It could also introduce the ramping up of difficulty by eliminating supply posts/friendly towns the farther you get through the game instead of making enemies bigger bullet sponges. They could also give backstories/explanations to certain events in the OT, have some characters make cameos (younger Wrex anybody?).  I could easily see the final level being a Warthog Run style ending, where you use whatever vehicle you are given to traverse the world to make it just before the final ship off Rannoch leaves. Just my two cents though.

• DOOM! and HaythamKenway like this

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

It could happen, and I would appreciate a prequel, but I don't see it happening. I quite honestly don't know what to expect from the franchise now, it's beyond saddening for me (and I can't say that enough in this topic). I just hope it doesn't resort to Mass Effect having a full blast reboot. I would take a Andromeda 2, a mass effect 4 or a mass effect prequel.. just not a Hollywood-esque reboot, which I could see happening.
  • HaythamKenway likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

It could happen, and I would appreciate a prequel, but I don't see it happening. I quite honestly don't know what to expect from the franchise now, it's beyond saddening for me (and I can't say that enough in this topic). I just hope it doesn't resort to Mass Effect having a full blast reboot. I would take a Andromeda 2, a mass effect 4 or a mass effect prequel.. just not a Hollywood-esque reboot, which I could see happening.

Reboot would be an insulting cop-out. It would piss everyone off. Better to just pick one ME3 ending as canon (hopefully the destroy ending), piss off a part of the fans (which is inevitable) and continue making smaller self contained games instead of trilogies.

Coin
  • Coin

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:35 PM Edited by JZFB, 11 July 2017 - 12:45 PM.

Tbh i'd argue that's not really the case. Dragon Age Origins didn't pull you in with great combat but an interesting world and good characters. Same with Mass Effect 1.

I think the Mass Effect series just got the shaft in terms of writers to be honest. DA is far more consistent.

Note that I said gameplay and not combat specifically. In any event, Origins executed the traditional D&D/IE RPG formula exceptionally well without it feeling dated or out of place (on consoles) to boot. In terms of writing I'd say both Origins & Mass Effect 1 are about as good as it gets in terms of post-EA acquisition but I don't rate either particularly highly, though admittedly I've been spoiled with many a quality rpg over the years.  :ph34r:

Edit:

All the other mess with Andromeda aside, I can't help but feel the biggest overall issue is that someone made the decision to take what was an interesting concept (exploring unknown space, worlds & setting up colonies etc) and careen it back to what is safe habours for the ME franchise (human protagonist come saviour of everything & everyone).

• Grae, HaythamKenway and Actlikeyouknow like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:29 PM

(...)

Edit:

All the other mess with Andromeda aside, I can't help but feel the biggest overall issue is that someone made the decision to take what was an interesting concept (exploring unknown space, worlds & setting up colonies etc) and careen it back to what is safe habours for the ME franchise (human protagonist come saviour of everything & everyone).

That's the thing, isn't it. They wanted to do a fun, feel-good, GotG-esque lighthearted story about this group of outsiders and misfits coming together and saving the day. And that's where the game is strongest, the characters and the squad interactions.

But they wrapped it onto an inherently gritty premise about space colonialism. If there was a one Mass Effect game that "should" be dark, should have hard choices and no win scenarios, should be grounded, shouldn't have a golden ending - it's a game with that kind of premise.

It's that pirates in Terminus pitch I'm always coming back to. That would have been a far better fit for the Firefly-inspired story Bioware wanted to tell than Andromeda was.

• Grae, Coin and Actlikeyouknow like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

Some of the blame for ME:A shortcomings definitely falls on the less experienced team. However, some of the problems that DA:I had are in a lot of ways similar to ME:A problems, so some of it could also be related to the Frostbite engine. According to that Kotaku article that was posted a while ago, Frostbite engine just wasn't designed for RPG's, and definitely not for squad based RPG's and they had to create a bunch of tools that would allow them to craft an RPG in Frostbite.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

Some of the blame for ME:A shortcomings definitely falls on the less experienced team. However, some of the problems that DA:I had are in a lot of ways similar to ME:A problems, so some of it could also be related to the Frostbite engine. According to that Kotaku article that was posted a while ago, Frostbite engine just wasn't designed for RPG's, and definitely not for squad based RPG's and they had to create a bunch of tools that would allow them to craft an RPG in Frostbite.

aka blame EA for shoving Frostbite on all there developers. 

Candy_Licker
  • Candy_Licker

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:01 PM Edited by Candy_Licker, 11 July 2017 - 06:07 PM.

aka blame EA for shoving Frostbite on all there developers.

The technical stuff is very minor imo compared to the inability to write good characters/stories.  Like yokel said, moving away from the old "saviour of the galaxy/dragonborn" scheme to a more grounded scenario would've been the way to go.
But from what I've seen, Bioware can't even create characters anymore that you don't want to throw out of the airlock after 5 minutes, so everything is futile anyway.

(...)

Edit:

That's the thing, isn't it. They wanted to do a fun, feel-good, GotG-esque lighthearted story about this group of outsiders and misfits coming together and saving the day. And that's where the game is strongest, the characters and the squad interactions.

But they wrapped it onto an inherently gritty premise about space colonialism. If there was a one Mass Effect game that "should" be dark, should have hard choices and no win scenarios, should be grounded, shouldn't have a golden ending - it's a game with that kind of premise.

It's that pirates in Terminus pitch I'm always coming back to. That would have been a far better fit for the Firefly-inspired story Bioware wanted to tell than Andromeda was.

Well, if these misfits would've had anything on the Firefly characters, only a tiny bit of their charm, it would've still been good enough for me, no matter how good it fits with the rest of the setting. But alas, these little brats are the antithesis of my beloved Firefly crew.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:33 PM

Here's the thing though: BioWare has tried this before. Dragon Age II was crafted as a deconstruction of BioWare's previous games, their tropes and cliches and it was a look at the ''chosen hero'' story as a whole and yet it was slammed on release; dubbed a failure and not a real BioWare game for it's focus on a smaller scale adventure. 

Coin
  • Coin

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:35 AM

Dragon Age II was slammed because it was poor across the board; game mechanics, level design, the narrative and other aspects of writing. Not to mention the change from an ambiguous PC to a pre-defined protagonist ala Mass Effect didn't sit well.

• El Diablo and Static like this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:55 AM

Dragon Age II was slammed because it was poor across the board; game mechanics, level design, the narrative and other aspects of writing. Not to mention the change from an ambiguous PC to a pre-defined protagonist ala Mass Effect didn't sit well.

The game's reuse of its environment was an absolutely asinine afront but the gameplay wasn't a step backwards. People were complaining about the dumbing down but that didn't really happen - Origins wasn't hard or tactical to begin with. It was easier to exploit and break than its sequel and it was just slow and that often gets conflated with tactical.

Narrative wise it was a breath of fresh air, something new. The characters were good, the set up was intriguing and it really added to the world of Dragon Age. Hawke might be more limited than The Warden but the potential to roleplay is still there; i'd argue that Hawke hits the sweet spot between someone completely lacking in characterization [Warden] and someone more defined like the commander. 

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

Narrative wise it was a breath of fresh air, something new. The characters were good, the set up was intriguing and it really added to the world of Dragon Age. Hawke might be more limited than The Warden but the potential to roleplay is still there; i'd argue that Hawke hits the sweet spot between someone completely lacking in characterization [Warden] and someone more defined like the commander.

I agree. I didn't enjoy it as much as Dragon Age Origins, but Dragon Age 2 was a very good game, all things considered. I just had to find the right Hawke to play with. Male Hawke just didn't work for me at all. Which is kind of strange since I prefer male Shepard in Mass Effect, and most people seem to think that he's the inferior choice.

In fact, I've never played through Mass Effect series with a female Shepard. Now I know what I'm gonna do this summer :)

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

I did my first Femshep (and Renegade) playthrough last Summer and it definitely freshened the game up a bit. I'd dare to say I prefer Renegade over Paragon now. (though Paragade/Renegon is still the way to go in the end). 

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

I did my first Femshep (and Renegade) playthrough last Summer and it definitely freshened the game up a bit. I'd dare to say I prefer Renegade over Paragon now. (though Paragade/Renegon is still the way to go in the end). 

Agreed. It's better to just follow your heart and not go the good or bad route for the first playthrough. You might not be able to save everyone this way but it's worth it for the sake of making your own personal choices. Definetly the most fun way of a ME playthrough.
My fourth playthrough of ME2 was also this way and I tried to realistically think who to save and who not. Saving everyone might be the happy ending choice but it's not immersive.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:09 AM

look I know I'm super late to the party, but there were several other games on my plate that I wanted to take my time with, and I was waiting to see how things panned out for ME:A. it sounds like most people enjoy it and I like what I see. right now the game is 50% off if you get it through Origin so it's time to finally pick up Andromeda. I'll start it next week. got the deluxe edition for just 30 bucks :^:

• Static likes this

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:15 PM

Anyone else get the survey from EA on Andromeda? This could lead to something positive if they get the right feed back.

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

http://www.eurogamer...-into-ea-motive

Bioware Montreal officially closed it's doors and merged with EA Motive.
That kills all hope for further updates and DLC for Andromeda. Hopefully this doesn't mean the end for Mass Effect.

I'm gonna be pissed if Anthem becomes the replacement for Mass Effect. I don't care about some lame co-op multimplayer game. I want Mass Effect.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

Anthem looks amazing no idea what you're on about but no this doesn't mean ME is dead but the IP is considerably less lucrative now.

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

It seems like the chance of getting a new Mass Effect game in the near future is getting pretty slim, which is a shame. But maybe it's best for the franchise to be put aside for a while after Andromeda's mixed reception, and maybe the ''real'' Bioware can pick it up again after Anthem. Speaking of Anthem I'll reserve my judgement for now. A heavily scripted and polished E3 trailer is too little for me to give my opinion on it.

• Ivan1997GTA and Actlikeyouknow like this

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:13 PM Edited by feckyerlife, 01 August 2017 - 03:13 PM.

It seems like the chance of getting a new Mass Effect game in the near future is getting pretty slim, which is a shame. But maybe it's best for the franchise to be put aside for a while after Andromeda's mixed reception, and maybe the ''real'' Bioware can pick it up again after Anthem. Speaking of Anthem I'll reserve my judgement for now. A heavily scripted and polished E3 trailer is too little for me to give my opinion on it.

ME2 & Anthem's Lead Designer has passed away

http://www.ign.com/a...has-passed-away

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:32 PM

That's a damn shame, he looks pretty young in the pictures.  

Synthol
  • Synthol

Just touch uranus someplace else

• Members
  • Namibia

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:17 PM

So do I buy the game yet? I want to know if the bugs and facial animations were patched enough.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:41 AM

Do it. Currently playing the game for the first time and I haven't run into any major issues so far. Only minor bug I've encountered is that once in a while on-screen messages won't go away until I exit and restart, but that's not a big deal. Only happened twice or thrice.

Game is great, really enjoying it
  • Synthol and Actlikeyouknow like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

yeah couldn't agree more.

I just started playing Andromeda for the first time recently and it's pretty much been flawless. my only real concern was whether or not I'd enjoy the new combat mechanics but it's actually really fluid. the story and environments (so far) are giving me flashbacks to the grandiose and truly exotic nature of the original Mass Effect.

I waited until it was on sale but could've gotten this sooner.

it's great.

• Synthol and Actlikeyouknow like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users