Official Mass Effect Topic

904 replies to this topic
DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

Re-written was a poor choice of words, expanded or even edited. Regardless, Andromeda doesn't need Shepard or any of his/her crew there. Just work with what you have and let the past sit in the past... again, I wouldnt be upset if folks did make a appearance, just don't think it's needed at the moment.

Noale
  • Noale

I DID NOT HIT HER I DID NOT OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:06 PM

As someone who may start up their third Andromeda playthrough soon, I agree. Andromeda can easily stand on it's own without the OT crew.

But the options are out there if it ever comes down to it.... If. 

• Actlikeyouknow likes this

fashion
  • fashion

f*ck you microtransactions

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

Gonna spoiler tag it just in case:

Spoiler

On another topic:
Spoiler

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

While it's not impossible for the OT crew to show up, I wish they don't. They had their chance to shine in the OT, I hope Bioware can move away from them and give us new content. Bringing back the OT characters would feel like an easy way out.

Spoiler

And yes, the Arks left just after ME2's storyline conclusion. 

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:19 PM Edited by DOOM!, 18 May 2017 - 02:21 PM.

I seen a theory (or plot hole) on Reddit that kinda messes with the timeline of the Initiative launch. What's the component? The fact that Blasto 8 is available to watch for movie night, but Blasto 7 had a premier during ME3: Citadel DLC.

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

Browse r/MassEffect too?

:lol:

dante財閥
  • dante財閥

財閥

• Members
  • France

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

Eh, can't really describe how disappointed I was with this game. It's probably up there with one of my greatest gaming disappointments of all time. 

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:25 PM

^Different strokes for different folks.

I quite enjoy the game. However, on my second play through I've stopped playing. Mostly because I'm too busy, but also because several of the side quests are boring as hell. And I'll be damned if I waste whatever little free time I have on boring side quests. And yes, I know I don't have to do them. But I like to do things 100% or not at all. Once I actually have some vacation time I'll finish it again, but till then, it's not a game to play for only 30 minutes or even an hour. So in the meantime I'm going to roam Los Santos in whatever time I have to myself.

• Fallcreek and Noale like this

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:21 AM

Browse r/MassEffect too?

:lol:

Most definitely. Reddit has became a place I visit every day.

I had my brother in law tell me that Andromeda was horrible and was nothing compared to the OT. Mind you he played the OT for the first time in January. I've been playing mass Effect since it's release, I feel like folks who've played this series for a decade has a different feeling for these games and holds a special place in our hearts. So yeah, I told him he sucks.

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:07 AM

Kind of how I feel when someone says ME:A is horrible.

Me on the outside:

cYZfghq.gif

How I feel on the inside:

Ek3ocvB.gif

• El Diablo, Niobium and Actlikeyouknow like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

^That's me when someone says that about The Witcher 3.

• El Diablo and Noale like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:30 AM

^That's me when someone says that about The Witcher 3.

Most people love The Witcher 3 its one of the best received games in years, I just ignore the haters (often they dislike it because of the circlejerk around TW3 which is lame).

The same can't be said for ME:A, pretty lackluster games that got hate from everywhere (deserved in my opinion) and maybe even killed the series for quite some time.

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

If people like you could expand on what you didn't like about the game, that could help pinpoint what to fix on the next game.

Simply saying, "f*ck this game." doesn't let the rest of us understand what the problem is. If you had a problem with something that others enjoyed and you don't explain why, then it often just gets into a bullsh*t argument. It's the difference between whining and constructive criticism. If you explain why you didn't like it and how you would have preferred it, then both sides of the the community can provide input for the developers on how to improve said features in a way that works for everyone.

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:42 PM Edited by Queen, 21 May 2017 - 01:42 PM.

I love that the game took risks (far more open world than any of the other games) but it's a game that moves INCREDIBLY slow if you're trying to do everything right and INCREDIBLY fast if you're trying to do just the main story. It just seems that this game is not as focused as any of the previous games. They really tried to weigh in heavily on the exploration part, which makes sense, considering the fact that we are exploring a new galaxy, but at the same time they could have stripped things back a bit. There's such a thing as overkill, you know? Also, I think they also lacked in certain areas of the exploration. You practically meet the same species on most planets. It would have been nice if there were more unique species to each planet...a reason to actually feel like these are separate worlds. Hell, I'd be more excited if there was some really cool animal on Kadara that I won't see on any other planet. They could have seriously done more to make each planet feel more unique. Thankfully, it didn't suck as bad as No Man's Sky. Lol

And again, I love the game. It's these little things that annoy me though.

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

The lack of species is one of those things that bothered me as well.

Spoiler

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

That's what really bothered me, was the lack of different species. Running into a monstrous creature was exciting and terrifying the first few times, then it got old and outplayed. I hope they focus more of the politics in the next game, and less on the exploration. Mass Effect series wasn't to keen on adding new wildlife anyways, we got maybe a handful of dangerous wild species we'd run across in the OT?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

I hope they'll drop this whole Andromeda business and go back to the setting that actually matters and do something with it. Anything.

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

I can see a prequel to the OT, I don't know what type of shenanigans they could pull to go back to the Milkyway post-reapers without getting people's panties in a bunch.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:53 PM

I can see a prequel to the OT, I don't know what type of shenanigans they could pull to go back to the Milkyway post-reapers without getting people's panties in a bunch.

People were massively in favor of the destroy ending, so that would work as well.

• DOOM! likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

Prequel playing as Anderson
  • DOOM! likes this

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

Prequel playing as Reapers.

• DOOM! and Zello like this

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:14 PM Edited by DOOM!, 21 May 2017 - 11:15 PM.

Start ME4 with the destroy ending, only to have another galaxy being heavily depended on the power of A.I's to make the Andromeda Initiative flourish.

I'd love if they could do something pre/post Reaper invasion but also keep releasing Andromeda content.

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

A prequel game is a bad idea. Part of the charm is not knowing how the story will unfold. If I were to play as Anderson I already know that

Spoiler
Besides, just read the book First Contact. The choices have already been made, and the story has already been told. Bioware did the right thing by introducing us to a new galaxy independent of the Milky Way story. We needed something new, far away from the choices we've made. We just needed a greater variety in species. And I'm not even talking about intelligent ones. Because I get that ME:A only takes place in a small cluster. God knows what else is out there, which is why I'm looking forward to future DLCs and sequels. God damn it would have been nice to run into something like the Rachni again. They were the closest thing we got to a scary, ruthless alien. What I wouldn't give for Mass Effect Andromeda's version of a xenomorph ala Alien movies. That sh*t would be great for a side quest mission. A nice little nod to Alien. Lol

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:27 AM

With only a handful of explorable planets and three new alien species (Angara, Remnant and Kett) I can't shake the idea that Bioware wasted a lot of potential with setting the game in a brand new galaxy. They could've done so much more than what we got in the end.

I wouldn't mind an equal. A story that takes place at the same time Shepard's story does, but focuses on other things. There were enough interesting things going on while Shepard was around. 

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

Everybody would want a Garrus focused spinoff. Been thinking that since ME2.

Was disappointed in the species as well. It's pretty much impossible for unintelligent species to reappear on different planets in the same cluster and look exactly the same. Has bioware ever heard of evolution? Unless (endgame spoiler)
Spoiler
but thaf would be a cheap move to solve the issue.

I hope they've just
Spoiler
and we get 10 times the diversity in the next game.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:52 AM Edited by Leftist Bastard, 22 May 2017 - 11:52 AM.

Canonizing an ending would be awful, plain and simple. The ending was already a slap in the face and to completely disregard the modicum of choice they did give you would just to be too much. I, for instance, consider the Reject ending the only real ending that truly fits the character of Shep, as I defined him anyhow. Having the canon step all over that would just instantly turn me off, and i'm sure many others who you picked a choice that wasn't BioWare's preferred ending whatever it turns out to be.

They need to move away from Shep; they need to move away from the larger scale conflict and the player being a power trip and do something smaller in scale I think. I don't know how good/bad Andromeda really turned out to be since I haven't played it yet but the direction seemed good but the execution is what's apparently suspect.

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:32 PM Edited by fashion, 22 May 2017 - 02:35 PM.

While I also think it's good that story is over and I'm one of those who support the whole new Andromeda galaxy thing, it's really sad they screwed it up themselves. If only the extended cut ending had a brand new way to finish the game with some sort of true ending(hint hint: make the indoctrination theory true and explain it) while also opening a way to continue the story of the milky way galaxy then Andromeda wouldn't have been necessary.

Andromeda was a task the team didn't handle. On one side, I think it's a really good game and a good idea, but imagine they wouldn't have to switch galaxies and gave us a real Mass Effect 4. The lore and everything else was there and they only would have to expand on it. The writing flaws such as the lack of new species wouldn't be there.

If we had a ME4 like this then I bet this game would recieve better scores among both critics and fans alike. I, as a fan, accepted where the series is going and I like it the way it is... but what could have been would probably be even better.

The highlight of the game to me, the icing on tbe cake, was the squad and how they interracted with each other and that's why I love the game but it could have worked out in the milky way as well.

Andromeda isn't Mass Effect 4. Andromeda is Mass Effect Andromeda 1. That's what I'm trying to say.

dante財閥
  • dante財閥

財閥

• Members
  • France

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

What puzzled me so much was how divided both the critics and the gaming community seemed on the matter. Here's a little taste of what I mean:

A divisive entry in a lauded series, which manages to succeed despite encumbering its open-world design and interesting upbeat narrative with lacklustre combat and poor UI.

The fantastic combat and strong story points far outweigh the technical missteps and more cringeworthy moments. Bioware may has bitten off more than it could chew scope wise, and the fringe elements of the game clearly have suffered for it. However, they’ve nailed the key aspects of what made for a great Mass Effect game in the past.

Andromeda provides an interesting premise and story, but is let down by poor combat, excessive padding, and over-complication.

While combat is improved over its predecessors it pales compared to rivals in the genre thanks to braindead AI. Facial animations are laughable at times and have a negative impact on the good voice acting. Bugs and performance issues only hamper this further. Andromeda is a good game and I’ve enjoyed my time with it. However, for those who’ve been waiting five years for another Mass Effect adventure, I don’t think it will be good enough.

Personally when I played the game I HATED the combat. It felt so janky and unsatisfying. I couldn't understand how anyone believed it to be decent. But then so many other people I spoke to told me they thought the combat was amazing. It really is an odd one.

Simply saying, "f*ck this game." doesn't let the rest of us understand what the problem is. If you had a problem with something that others enjoyed and you don't explain why, then it often just gets into a bullsh*t argument. It's the difference between whining and constructive criticism. If you explain why you didn't like it and how you would have preferred it, then both sides of the the community can provide input for the developers on how to improve said features in a way that works for everyone.

^ That's why quotes like these are misguided. No one is going to agree on what makes the game good or bad really. It really is that divisive. If you ask me I think some long time fans are kidding themselves but...yeah. 

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

What about the combat felt unsatisfying? The animations were good and fluid, the jumping/jumpjets worked flawlessly. The auto-cover system worked. Aiming, combo, and damage mechanics were good. Powers were good. Hovering works good. The range of weapons was good (though some useless as with every game, so not an ME:A exclusive issue). You can switch shoulder camera sides, and the FOV is adjustable. The consumable item mechanic is fantastic when used properly (Shield Caps are life savers). Aside from the lowered squad control, this combat is very good. Was squad control/loadout your problem? It seems many people complain about that. It's a mechanic could be improved, however it's one specific portion of the combat, and disregarding combat entirely based on just that doesn't seem right at all. I've done two Insanity runs, reaching level 120+, and while I might have come across a hitch or two, none of them made me irritated at the combat. And after shortly starting ME3 for a bit, it's definitely no worse than the previous games.

^ That's why quotes like these are misguided. No one is going to agree on what makes the game good or bad really. It really is that divisive. If you ask me I think some long time fans are kidding themselves but...yeah. 

Why is that quote misguided? It's literally just asking those who bring up the bad points to expand upon it. I don't see how that could be bad or misguided. Nowhere in that quote does it say both sides have to agree on anything. 

Personally when I played the game I HATED the combat. It felt so janky and unsatisfying. I couldn't understand how anyone believed it to be decent.

How funny that you quote my quote which speaks exactly about this kind of criticism, then you go on and do it anyway, in the same post no less. Sure it was janky/unsatisfying, but the question is still...

maxresdefault.jpg

As you can see, the only bad point I've been able to point out on my own is the lack of squad control. But if you had brought up specifically what you didn't like about it, then people like me could be convinced that those mechanics may actually be flawed, then I could bring those flaws up myself in other discussions. Resulting in more people seeing your complaints, and hopefully understanding as well. I don't know if you noticed or not, but none of those critics you quoted expanded on it either.  :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users