Photo

Official Mass Effect Topic

904 replies to this topic
acmilano
  • acmilano

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:40 PM

My second favorite series after GTA. Loved it and wish that the next one suceed. But I'm afraid that Bioware studios will dissapear in EA and be completely absorbed.Well,we will always have this three great games and imagine a better ending to Shepard's trilogy.

Candy_Licker
  • Candy_Licker

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:48 AM Edited by Candy_Licker, 02 August 2016 - 10:50 AM.

Finished the trilogy finally last week, so OP chose the best time to start the topic.

My thoughts:

ME1: in terms of atmosphere probably the best one, they really created a great universe there. Gameplay was so-so: what really drove me off was the exploration part and the weapon/looting thing. It was so annoying to constanly get a new weapon/ammo, with 8 varaints of every manufacturer/ammo armor types around. Had some really cool missions, Noveria and the one where either Ashley/Kaidan dies (Horizon?) were my favs.

ME2: storyline was quite weak, there barely even was one: felt like 90% consisted of building a team and doing their loyalty missions. Not that I minded that, it was great actually. It was cool feeling building a large, diverse crew and managing them all in this great ship (ME 2's Normandy was the best one hands down) And some of the loyalty missions were really enjoyable (Jacob's - despite being a pretty flat character- comes to my mind first) The game introduced some of my fav. characters like mordin and Thane. Also the game had very good locations. Also liked the moral dilemma working for the illusive man/Cerberus.

But like I said, story was very weak apart from that, and the cumulating point, the breakthrough through the Relay/assault of the Collector base was underwhelming imo.

ME3: hmm, quite hard to judge. It felt very similar to ME2. Didn't like the new character (Vega), and I'm pretty torn about introducing Javik in general - though I love his constant talk about "primitives". Citadel dlc/shore leave offered the best moments of the entire trilogy, mission design was good for ME standars, and great (final) interactions between the characters.

Don't want to say about the controversial ending too much. I didn't like the whole point of the series - the Reapers at all. The moment you first uncovered them in ME1 was cool, but after that, they were not really "convincing" enemies. The icing on the cake was the ending of course, where their idiotic motivation was finally revealed.

What I also disliked was the paragon/renegade system that structured the whole dialogue. It became worse with ME3, where there was no middle ground/ambivalent answer anymore, and any answer was pressed into the good/bad dichotomy, where you had to choose between being a overempathic guy who wants to wrap up everybody in cotton wool or a guy who is just rude/harsh, often for no reason. Also missions felt too scripted/mechanical from ME2 onward.

final verdict: overall enjoyable trilogy, with some memorable characters, but suffers from EA "cheesiness", and gameplay felt too "gamey" (always the same pattern basicially - defend X/hold off hordes off scripted enemies)

• HaythamKenway, Queen and RogerWho like this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:38 AM

I didn't like the whole point of the series - the Reapers at all. The moment you first uncovered them in ME1 was cool, but after that, they were not really "convincing" enemies. The icing on the cake was the ending of course, where their idiotic motivation was finally revealed.

Did you play the Leviathan DLC? I think that one is essential for the whole thing to make sense.

Spoiler

Okay I know it's surely not everybody's cup of tea but it's certainly a motivation you don't see every day. Plus, for me it completely fit into the RPG gameplay. My theory is that in the Mass Effect universe everybody is selfish and arrogant as f*ck - here is Shepard trying to save all life from annihilation, yet nobody is willing to help without running some errants for them first. Shepard even comments on that at one point,which was hilarious.

It also reminds me of a Star Trek book I once read. It featured a race of genocidal aliens hell-bent on destroying all life. They evolved on a planet with an opaque sky so had no idea there are stars and life outside of their planet. Once a space ship crash landed on their world, they managed to fix it and fly outside the atmosphere. Once they saw how huge and rich on life the universe is, they decided "we have to kill all of this".

I just think it's nice to have villains or characters not based on standard human motivations.

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:46 AM

I'm right there with you, RogerWho. The reapers were very interesting, and everything about them was intriguing. The whole leviathan thing was disturbing, and a terrific discovery. It really helped paint the whole picture and make it all the more terrifying.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:18 AM

Im not even into Sci Fi stuff at all or monsters or the end of the world scenarios. But even I really liked the Reapers threat. It was pretty epic.. and I enjoyed the ending a lot as well (and the explanation of what the Reapers are and what they're made for). But I had the extended cut installed when I first experienced it.

-----

One small problem I had with the ending is that I wish there was another choice other than the destroy option where Shepard can live. I wanted him to live so that it wouldn't end in a tragic way since im not really a fan of sad endings, and I didn't really want him to sacrifice himself or anything like that. But the destroy choice isnt that perfect because the child tells you you only stopped this cycle.. and another cycle will start again in the future in your grand kids lifetime. Its no biggie since ME3 is the end of the Shepard story but still..

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:24 AM

The reapers was a fulfilling story. Leviathan just made everything even more interesting, and whenever you approach the leviathans it's truly a breathtaking and horrifying moment, especially considering the size of the creatures.

I just bought Mass Effect: Revelation. I've had two friends tell me it's a good read so I paid up 6 bucks for it.
  • Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:30 AM

I've read all the books, except for the very last one, which got terrible reviews. I think you're going to love Revelation! I know I did. :D

Candy_Licker
  • Candy_Licker

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:21 PM

I didn't like the whole point of the series - the Reapers at all. The moment you first uncovered them in ME1 was cool, but after that, they were not really "convincing" enemies. The icing on the cake was the ending of course, where their idiotic motivation was finally revealed.

Did you play the Leviathan DLC? I think that one is essential for the whole thing to make sense.

Spoiler

Okay I know it's surely not everybody's cup of tea but it's certainly a motivation you don't see every day. Plus, for me it completely fit into the RPG gameplay. My theory is that in the Mass Effect universe everybody is selfish and arrogant as f*ck - here is Shepard trying to save all life from annihilation, yet nobody is willing to help without running some errants for them first. Shepard even comments on that at one point,which was hilarious.

It also reminds me of a Star Trek book I once read. It featured a race of genocidal aliens hell-bent on destroying all life. They evolved on a planet with an opaque sky so had no idea there are stars and life outside of their planet. Once a space ship crash landed on their world, they managed to fix it and fly outside the atmosphere. Once they saw how huge and rich on life the universe is, they decided "we have to kill all of this".

I just think it's nice to have villains or characters not based on standard human motivations.

yes, I played the Leviathan dlc. I was ranting about their logic to have circles of exctinction and destroy every advanced organic life to prevent destroying all organic life because synthetics would inevitably destoy all organic life.

Thelema93
  • Thelema93

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:12 PM

Has anybody here seen the me3 gamer poop?

Pure gold. Although its hard to take of of the scenes seriously again after watching gamer poop.
  • Queen likes this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:31 AM

Yeah I stayed away from those.. Did not wanna ruin the game for me, even after I've finished it. I remember watching the Gamerpoop for Skyrim and that made me stop taking the game seriously for some time.  :lol: . The videos are hilarious though.

• Thelema93 likes this

Gremlin Sombra
  • Gremlin Sombra

Life's good when you're Caveria main.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:53 PM

Gamerpoop made realize how much of a booty hunter commander shepard really is.

"We'll bang ok"
Can agree that playing the game after watching them makes the game feel silly.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:52 PM Edited by Fireman, 13 August 2016 - 03:58 PM.

I am sinner, I've only played the first Mass Effect completely, gave up on Mass Effect 2 20 hours in and haven't played it in a long time.

Mass Effect 2 was so different from the first, I think if I start playing ME2 now (it's been a long time ago that I played and finished 1) I could get into it, but back then I played it right after completing ME 1, so it was hard to get into ME 2 with all the changes.

Obviously I haven't started ME 3 yet, got to play them one by one.

The ME Poop is some great YouTube Poop.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:41 PM

can anyone say if ME2 is more Like ME or ME3

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

I would say its more like ME3. A lot of changes from Mass Effect 1.

Mass Effect 1 is pretty different than the other two.

• feckyerlife likes this

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

I bought the trilogy today. I heard some good things about this series (mostly from my sister) and I am going to play it in the near future.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

I have been trying to play ME1 it feels way different than ME3. also a lot harder

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:25 PM Edited by Majestic81, 16 August 2016 - 04:26 PM.

I have been trying to play ME1 it feels way different than ME3. also a lot harder

Mass Effect 2 brought a lot of new features and improved already existing stuff. and then ME3 came and also improved/ a lot of things from ME2. So there is a huge gap between the ME1 and ME3.

The armor and weapons system is very different in ME1 than the other two, so is the leveling up system and also there is very clear difference/change in the combat. Mass Effect 1 also doesn't have the personal messages thing for Shepard. Which might be a small feature but I liked receiving messages and such.

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Gutted

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:25 PM

https://twitter.com/...672210665013250

holy sh*t holy sh*t holy sh*t.

finally.

• HaythamKenway and Gremlin Sombra like this

Gremlin Sombra
  • Gremlin Sombra

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:28 PM Edited by Empress of Outworld, 07 November 2016 - 05:42 PM.

^ I saw that and almost jumped outta my seat!

I don't care for the trailer anymore because I gonna be playing some f*cking Mass effect 2.

SOOO happy that these are on BC and it isn't another damn remaster

edit: Trailer is out

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:02 PM

200_s.gif

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:50 AM

Looks... Great. Therefore I'm gonna remain sceptical.

Is this gonna be another trilogy or a standalone game, only with a dozen DLCs?

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:32 AM

I don't think it's clear...but if it's anything like its predecessors, it's story will continue into another with your choices determining how it all plays out. I'm sure the die hards will be upset if that doesn't happen.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:48 AM

I'll be upset if it's gonna be another trilogy. It would mean I'll only get to play it 6 years from now or so since I won't be waiting 2 years for a sequel so I'll wait for all 3 to come out.

2017 MEA, 2019 MEA2, 2021 MEA3, 2022 discounted MEA trilogy. I'll be almost 40 at the time, geez that's scary.

Or, of course, it's also possible that MEA only sells 16 million copies, EA declares the sales 'disappointing', axes BW and it will become another HL2 / Advent Rising / other cliffhangers situation.

I guess I don't like sequels much...

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:17 AM Edited by DOOM!, 08 November 2016 - 07:20 AM.

I wouldn't mind if this was a standalone. I never knew that the main character would be asleep for "a hundred years" (or did it say hundreds)? Never the less, I'm wondering if trying to make contact back with the Milky Way would even be possible, or if we will get the slightest hint of what happens post-shep.

I don't think there will be traveling to large and luxurious cities like in the ME trilogy, not unless if the creatures of Andromeda have more 'southern hospitality' than I expect. This game shouldve interesting to the ME lore and I'll be keeping my head up and ears with the wind when it comes to information closer to release.

I have BF1, NBA 2k and ESO taking my gaming time. I have beaten ME1 and 2 countless times and only ME3 a handful and only playing through the DLC once. Here in the next few months I'll be restarting the trilogy. It's a game my wife will actually sit down and watch me play.

Halal Cyborg
  • Halal Cyborg

Junglist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:23 AM

Already paid for it and cannot wait 😁

Gremlin Sombra
  • Gremlin Sombra

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

The gameplay trailer from the Game Awards.

Looks pretty good I suppose.  Still on the fence about the game overall but this trailer is pretty pleasing.

• feckyerlife and Queen like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:35 AM

It sure looks like Mass Effect. In a good way. So many reboots try to distance themselves from the originals, so it's nice to see a game that looks so familiar at the first glance. The combat is straight from ME3, the town, the HUD and the general visual style reminds me of ME2 and the open planets are obviously like ME1. So yeah, I feel quite safe about the gameplay. The core, at least, hopefully they'll handle the open world well enough without dilluting the rest of the game. That remains to be seen.

But, femtur squadmate! Yes!

• feckyerlife likes this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:51 AM

Dude that trailer looks amazing. Still feel like Mass Effect. It looks like they overdid it with the combat though, what's all this flying around and sh*t, I hope this is just cause they're a biotic in that video. I dont wanna do all that fancy sh*t. I liked to run and gun, hide behind covers, use sniper rifles, shotguns and rifles and occasionally use some small biotic skills.

• feckyerlife and Cameron Star like this

Candy_Licker
  • Candy_Licker

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:42 PM

My thoughts: - facial animation of the female protag look creepy. Disarm animation was cringeworthy bad.

Generally, it looks aestheticially pleasing, but we could expect that. Combat, I don't know. In theory, I like the flashy things like that igni firecasting etc since I'm not a huge fan of gunplay (swords&bows ftw). Thing is: combat is way faster too. This, in combination with all these effects, make it look rather messy and chaotic. Almost looks like they want to trigger epilepsy attacks.

Biggest concern most people have is that it will be Mass Effect: Inquisition. I've never played that, but it's notorious for its tedious fetch quests. Seems like they felt inspired by survival games and resource collecting/crafting like Far Cry.

Makes sense in this scenario, but it's really really important that they find a good balance between story and side content, and make that side content interesdting.

Good story, companions & side quests, that's what counts. That means waiting for customer feedback for me before diving into this.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:57 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users