Official Mass Effect Topic

524 replies to this topic
Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:51 PM Edited by Queen, 06 July 2016 - 11:56 PM.

Mass-Effect-Logo-Wallpaper.png

imageedit_3_8064456976.jpg

Welcome to the official Mass Effect discussion topic. The original Mass Effect trilogy plunges the player into the future when humanity has reached the edges of the galaxy, and live among dozens of intelligent species. Eventually an all-out galactic war ensues and it's up to you to save the galaxy - and how you do that is entirely up to you.

I realize there is another topic posted about Mass Effect: Andromeda (the fourth installment), but this discussion is meant to discuss ALL things Mass Effect -- the original trilogy, novels, comics, etc. 

For starters, what'd you love about the original trilogy? What'd you find annoying? Which was your favorite?

80.jpg?t=1467762365

Please refrain from posting spoilers without hiding them.

• HaythamKenway, Journey_95, Ciaran and 2 others like this

Hardluck
  • Hardluck

4+

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:54 PM Edited by HardluckStyle, 06 July 2016 - 11:54 PM.

Looks awsome, goodluck with that mate!

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:55 PM

At least no one can say I didn't try. :p

• Hardluck likes this

Buckminsterfullerene
  • Buckminsterfullerene

If it ain't fix it, don't broke it

• Members
  • Senegal

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:04 AM

Mass Effect 1 is the best ME because it's the only one that's an actual RPG.

micdrop.jif

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:06 AM

Agreed. But ME1 is cringe worthy at best in terms of firefights. 

Buckminsterfullerene
  • Buckminsterfullerene

• Members
  • Senegal

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:47 AM

ME1 combat was atrocious, dear god. It makes no sense how an assault rifle a century from now would have worse accuracy than early 20th century weapons, wat. 

Exploration got f*cked though.

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:29 AM

Don't even get me started on the Mako. I hated that damn thing. And every planet was essentially the same...just different textures and sky colors. Ah well, aside from these things, the story was awesome. I still remember the chills I got when Shepard talked to the Reapers for the first time. And I never felt so emotionally invested as I did when Shepard had to make perhaps the most difficult decision in the entire series, which was to

Spoiler

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:32 AM

Please refrain from posting spoilers without hiding them.

Spoiler

• Queen and Fallcreek like this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:51 AM

I actually blanked out for about 5 minutes before turning it off.

Thank you for your contribution, El Diablo.

• El Diablo likes this

Thesmophoriazusae
  • Thesmophoriazusae

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:47 AM

I f*cking love science so much, I f*cking love and hate the Mass Effect trilogy. Thus it is hard to comprehend for me and I am kind of looking forward on the next one. Mass Efffect: Andromeda. Lovely title.    

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Awkward Dork

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:48 AM

For god's sake, I wish they would make ME:2 & ME:3 backwards compatible. I don't wanna lug out my 360 again lol.

• HaythamKenway likes this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:19 PM

I have completed Mass Effect 2 and 3, really enjoyed them both, been a while since I played, I liked reading up on the different races in the galaxy from the journal i think it was?, those extra details were cool, they crafted a vivid and unique game world, when I picked up ME2 I was unaware of the franchise, soon enough I was hooked.

Just wondering is there any point in picking up ME1, as I've never played it it might be cool to play through the entire trilogy.

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:32 PM Edited by Queen, 07 July 2016 - 05:46 PM.

Well, like some of us have already said, ME1 is the only true RPG in the trilogy. So if that's your thing, then get it without hesitation. But it's worth picking up for the story alone (though I'm assuming you've picked up on most of it by now). But more than that, wouldn't it be great to build a character and see him/her progress through all three titles? To me that's the best and only way to experience the series. I love changing things up each time, and I'm almost done with my 5th run through. Anyway, all things considered, ME1 was a quality game for its time...though the graphics and gameplay mechanics haven't necessarily aged as well as ME2 and ME3. It's bearable though.

Frankly, I like ME1 better than ME2...and to some extent I like ME3 the most.

ME3 is like an orgasm...it's the culmination of the trilogy; the tension just gets better and better until it's almost unbearable and finally you get that sweet release...

...well, we all know how that turned out. :p

• HaythamKenway, RogerWho and Neon_Dreaming like this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:04 PM Edited by Neon_Dreaming, 07 July 2016 - 06:10 PM.

Cool thanks for the info, I like your point about building a character who will be with you through the trilogy. It being an rpg experience is a positive in my eyes. Im going to pick it up, probaly available for small money now.
  • Queen likes this

Buckminsterfullerene
  • Buckminsterfullerene

• Members
  • Senegal

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:22 PM

For the love of god though, do not get it on consoles. Get it on PC, it looks absolutely amazing there.

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:05 PM Edited by Queen, 07 July 2016 - 07:05 PM.

Cool thanks for the info, I like your point about building a character who will be with you through the trilogy. It being an rpg experience is a positive in my eyes. Im going to pick it up, probaly available for small money now.

Awesome!

Keep us posted on your experiences, and what choices you make. :D

It might also be fun for some of us to post pics of our Shepards. 

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:31 PM Edited by RogerWho, 07 July 2016 - 08:40 PM.

I played the whole trilogy with all the DLCs on the PC a few years ago. Last winter I got all of them on the PS3 as well (sans some DLCs which I didn't care for much) and am in process of replaying.

ME1: as a game it kinda sucks but as a sci-fi epic, it's grandiose. I think when I say 'those 2 moments', you'll know what I mean. Sometimes I just look up those 2 scenes on youtube and watch them a few times, they were so strong. And the thing with Wrex was tense too.

Overall, a truly grand experience, unfortunately BW really didn't know how to wrap a half-decent game around it. And the first few hours in the beginning is probably the slowest start to any game this side of JRPGs.

BTW the way I dealt with the combat was using the sniper role and setting the difficulty to easy. It's still somewhat challenging to actually score a hit while your accuracy sucks, but at least you can kill something. And instead of a terrible shooter you get a fairly decent sniping game, with the pistol actually being pretty good for close combat.

ME2: Sorry, but for me this is a complete piece of garbage that pissed all over what ME achieved. It almost made me sick to the stomach how EA-ified this thing is. As I said, I'm replaying the games on PS3 and already finished ME1 - and I really, REALLY don't want to play this tosh. If only I could transfer my save from 1 to 3 directly I'd be happy.

ME3: Here's a funny thing, I played this game long after it came out, with all the DLCs included. And I absolutely loved it, including the ending. It was fairly well foreshadowed after all (again in the DLCs). It brought back the best from ME1 and improved upon it and closed up the story in a way which, isn't cheesy. The ending that was originally intended and leaked, also hinted in ME2 (another example how ME2 pissed all over ME1), would disappoint me greatly or perhaps send me into a rage.

If you don't know what I mean:

Spoiler

What I loved even more is the feeling of war. It's not very often that games depict an utopia which becomes a shelter for refugees later. And ME3 completely nailed it, exactly in the way a sci-fi epic should.

That said, I fully understand that if someone played vanilla ME3 after it came out, it must have been a complete letdown, especially combined with EA's abhorrent DLC practices. But the game, yea the game is great, somewhere in my top 10.

• Queen likes this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

Got bored of playing the same games so I picked up ME2 because a lot of people praise it and sh*t. I couldnt be bothered playing the first game seeing as how it looked old and clunky and im not a fan of Sci Fi games enough for me to ignore that.

But I f*cking enjoyed ME2 so much that I couldnt wait to play the third game with the same f*cking character. After I've finished both I gave ME1 a try. (Its kind of the original game and gives you a better perspective on characters and the world. You also have the option to decide major choices yourself. I wish I had started with that in the first place..)

What I hated about the trilogy are some things about the Paragon/Renegade system. Dont get me wrong I love how it kinda shapes your character and all that and I like anything that adds diversity to the playable character. But I chose options from both categories so a lot of dialogue options were locked for me because I didnt have enough Paragon/Renegde rating. I found being a total paragon or a total renegade too annoying and really hard to maintain. Sometimes I wanna be an asshole and an evil person and sometimes I wanna be compassionate and understanding. I could never understand going to the extreme.

Also the dialogue choices were very vague. I cant count the times I've picked something to say only for Shepard to say something entirely different.

Last thing I didnt like about it was how the EMS points were handled. You need to play multiplayer and the first game to get a high EMS score to experience all possible endings. Well I had no interest in playing online and I dont think multiplayer should effect singleplayer in any way.

Luckily they lowered the EMS score in the Extended Cut and I went back and played the first game and did another run of the trilogy. So I got the ending I liked.  :colgate:

But other than that, the game is near perfect.. Saying I just had fun playing it is an understatement.

Buckminsterfullerene
  • Buckminsterfullerene

• Members
  • Senegal

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

Just mod the game to boost your effective EMS after total EMS reaches 5000, it's not cheating, it's how the game should've been lol.

and yea, dialogue was never a strong component of ME and the whole paragon/renegade system sucks. If you want a game all about choice then Fallout is your go-to, if you want a game that gives you moral choices but doesn't play arbiter then pick DE:HR.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:23 PM

You can reach a very high EMS if you choose the right choices in the first game and in the third game and do all those fetching quests on the planets. So I dont have a problem with that. Im not even gonna play it again.. I think two times are enough, I dont wanna burnout.

----

Also about the next ME. I really hope they dont push a certain agenda like they did with DA:I. I'm already skeptical about it to be honest.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

how ironic this thread was started. i just bought ME3 last week while i was on vacation. Great game. i tried playing ME1 but it just felt to clunky and dated to me, but the story was great. i may try it again after i finish ME3, but after reading this thread maybe i should get E2 as well.  Also are these games short? i feel like the game is almost over and ive only put about 23-25hrs into it. I did lose a bunch of side quests though because i didnt realize they would disappear after certain main quests were completed.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:07 PM Edited by Majestic81, 11 July 2016 - 04:07 PM.

They're not short if you take time and do everything and explore places/ Talk to people. The game has a lot of dialogue and conversations. IMO you should have played ME1 or ME2 before playing the third one. A better and more rich experience that way.

Also the DLC add some good content to make the games longer.

• Journey_95, feckyerlife and Queen like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:19 PM Edited by Journey_95, 11 July 2016 - 04:24 PM.

One of my favourite game series, love the whole Trilogy. The first one was definitely the weakest in many ways (f*ck the Mako & gameplay) but the story was great from Virmire onwards.

ME2 was the most fun with the best squad by far & an epic final mission. ME3 was pretty depressing but apart from the sh*t ending I really liked it it nailed the war atmosphere, a shame the ending overshadowed the good parts for many.

Hope Bioware doesnt f*ck up ME:A though since DA:I was complete sh*t.

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:21 PM Edited by Queen, 11 July 2016 - 04:35 PM.

If you're a completionist...

ME1 = 43 hours

ME2 = 52.5 hours

ME3 = 48 hours

So in total, this game can potentially waste 143.5 hours of your life. That's nearly 6 days.

Also, I'm currently replaying the Citadel DLC and came across this hilarious cutscene. Somehow I never came across this in all of my playthroughs.  :/

It's kind of a spoiler, so watch at your own risk.

• Journey_95 and feckyerlife like this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:38 PM Edited by Majestic81, 11 July 2016 - 04:39 PM.

I never came across it in my two playthroughs but I was bored one day and played a little from older saves. Was hanging in that club and see that the wait for Joker sign. That DLC was funny as f*ck. Added humor to the game.

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

Yeah, it's easily the best 15 bucks I've ever spent on a DLC. It gives you everything you'd want in terms of saying goodbye to so many memorable characters. This was another fantastic moment. 

I love Grunt.

• Majestic81 and Journey_95 like this

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:29 AM Edited by DOOM!, 12 July 2016 - 03:30 AM.

Wow, I love ME1 for the gameplay and mako, which seems no one else likes. I'm f*cking stoked they are bringing the Mako back and planet exploration. I hope they can fix the "clunky" controls for the mako.

ME2 and 3 contained some of the best DLCs any game has to offer, and the ME3 multiplayer was and is still fun to this day. I didn't like the EMS but I'm such a completionist that I didn't even need to play multiplayer to get it high enough to get the ending I wanted. (Shep's hand bursting threw the rubble)

It'll be interesting to interact with different species, I'm going to assume that in Andromeda there will or should at least be another space-faring species.
  • The Yokel and Queen like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Rebellions are built on hope

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:13 AM Edited by HaythamKenway, 12 July 2016 - 08:13 AM.

DLCs! Overlord in ME2 was so creepy and disturbing, I loved that. It doesn't happen often that I'm completely repulsed by character's actions, but goddamnit, Gavin Archer was just a monster. And Citadel, Leviathan, Arrival, Lair of the Shadow Broker... all good stuff too. Andromeda might be one of the few games I'd feel safe to buy a Season Pass for.

And about creepy moments, one of the things that the series has done really well, is horror. Obviously, it's pretty tame compared to real horror games, sure, but that's exactly what I like. Nothing overwhelming, just sprinkled in, spicing the game up. Just to name few examples, since it's really all over the series; the indoctrination, body horror, the Reapers, Noveria and Feros, the weirdness with Prothean Beacons, exploring the abandoned colonies attacked by the Collectors, the facility on Pragia, Ardat-Yahshi, the Derelict Reaper mission, just pretty much the entirety of ME3 (seconding RogerWho's thoughts about the atmosphere of the game, above)...

That's one of the things I'm most excited about in regards to the planetary exploration in Andromeda. I hope they'll be able to create just as tense atmosphere with some weirdness in missions and a sense of solitude while exploring as ME1 did.

• DOOM! likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

Wow, I love ME1 for the gameplay and mako, which seems no one else likes.

I liked it. In fact I never thought that Mako was annoying or boring. But that comes down to what you appreciate in games. From a purely gameplay perspective I suppose the Mako wasn't implemented very well. That hovercraft in ME2 handles a lot better. But if you look at what it adds to the overall atmosphere of the game, it was pretty great to have something like it. Even though planets that we could explore were just empty spaces basically, the atmosphere more than made up for it. And the Mako being what it is made it that much more enjoyable to be a part of that universe.

• DOOM! and HaythamKenway like this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:46 AM

Overlord's story was amazing. Top notch writing.

So was the suspense in Arrival.

• Journey_95 likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users