GTA3 - Blinded Sighted Nostalgia or...

59 replies to this topic
crashoverride93
  • crashoverride93

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:13 AM

I'm actually loving the mods that are coming out for 3 as well like ones that open those tunnels north of shore side vale.

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

What people forget about III is how so many parts of it had never been done before, how utterly amazing it was to cruise around this 3D open city, the freedom of jumping out of your car at anytime and finding another, how brutal the violence was. Read these reviews

Gamespot - 9.6/10 While the violent nature of the game will surely turn some people off and kids simply shouldn't be allowed anywhere near it, GTA III is, quite simply, an incredible experience that shouldn't be missed by anyone mature enough to handle it". Game Informer gave it a 9.5/10, stating "The environments of Liberty City are stunning in scope and detail, dwarfing anything I've ever seen, and your choices are endless". GameSpy awarded the game with 9.4/10 stating "A fantastically designed and fun game that's one of the most absorbing, entertaining titles released in a while. It gets better and better with every single day, as you continue discovering new little features here and there. ". Game Revolution gave the game a perfect score, stating "Just about the best game yet released on the system and one of the most impressive console titles we've ever seen. And I ain't blowing smoke up your tailpipe". GamePro gave the game a 5/5, stating "Greatly improved in GTA III is the stunning visual and sound package." GamesRadar gave the game a perfect 10, stating "Almost immediately after your first play you'll realize that underneath the cloak of controversy that will forever shadow GTA3 sits a truly special, groundbreaking and brilliant game. You'll love it.

In the context of 2001 GTA3 was an astonishingly complex, refreshing and polished game. Compared to modern games its nothing special, its still fun to play but theres so many games with the same features and much more so theres not much point playing it unless you're into the retro games thing. Yeah it looks cartoony and blocky now, even 'ugly' depending on your opinion. But you've got to remember that GTA3 set the bar for open world sandbox games, and we have a lot to thank it for. I still feel its a landmark of a game, and it does have a certain atmosphere that I really love and that cant be replicated. GTA3 was a great game and always will be. It'll keep popping up on lists of most groundbreaking games for a long time.

• _Rob_, anthony, Legomanarthur and 1 other like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

Nothing lasts forever  not even Rockstar, after the recent shift i wait to see what happens with GTA

• anthony likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

Nothing lasts forever  not even Rockstar, after the recent shift i wait to see what happens with GTA

Rockstar knows that people are gonna be buying shark cars and that means money, so they'll keep repeating what they're doing with online and have the plot be more of an afterthought or even a tutorial for online. It's like Call of Duty, they're just going to keep throwing out the same stuff on a constant basis because it makes them money, not because it's actually any good.

I don't think we're gonna get a new GTA game that captures the same feelings or excitement that GTA 3 or the earlier ones did, so let's just relish what we got because Rockstar very likely won't do it again.
  • anthony, Maibatsu545 and Payne Killer like this

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

GET OFF MY BACK GERALD. PISS OFF AND TAKE THIS L

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

Rockstar knows that people are gonna be buying shark cars and that means money, so they'll keep repeating what they're doing with online and have the plot be more of an afterthought or even a tutorial for online. It's like Call of Duty, they're just going to keep throwing out the same stuff on a constant basis because it makes them money, not because it's actually any good.

I don't think we're gonna get a new GTA game that captures the same feelings or excitement that GTA 3 or the earlier ones did, so let's just relish what we got because Rockstar very likely won't do it again.
So what might we see for gta 6 if R* are going to continue doing the same sh*t with V? We already know R* aren't going back to III's era roots. Don't know what might we see for the future of this massive game franchise :/

Coops95
  • Coops95

Camhack Video Editor

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:25 AM Edited by Will Lorenzo Cooper, 25 March 2017 - 05:28 AM.

Sure, III is still fun after 100%, but there really is nothing to do except Police Rampages or trying to beat your personal records in flying the Dodo
Edit: And of course trying to beat your Turismo records.

I don't do any of this in III since i achieved 100% completion years ago along with VC. I just mess around with the cheats to have fun. With Weaponsforall cheat i could have a blast on my play through all day long just laughing at peds killing each other and enjoy it like if it was a new game. Like i said i'm far too stuck in the old days :turn:

I don't think that is a bad thing.

GTA (the original) had a simple, arcade feel too it, this was still present in III but started to disappear in Vice City (slightly) and quite largely in San Andreas. 
It's nice too see i'm not the only one who plays these classics. I mean i'll admit i play V from time to time but the 3D era has so much to offer. Just different things the new games don't have. I'm not really referring to IV since it's kinda old but more to V in which people enjoy that online crap they play (Imo of course). You can't forget these gta's that came first.

I don't really think it's just nostalgia. A best friend of mine who had never really played the 3D era GTA's that much, just the HD ones. Anyway he decided to buy a Ps2 recently, that he used to own when he was a kid and bought GTA III, Vice City and SanAndreas. He said he very much liked Grand Theft Auto III, because it was simple and the atmospheric setting. He didn't really like Vice City, not because of the 80's theme or anything, the gameplay didn't seem to feel right to him and I can understand that.

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, GTAF Lurker

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

What people forget about III is how so many parts of it had never been done before, how utterly amazing it was to cruise around this 3D open city, the freedom of jumping out of your car at anytime and finding another, how brutal the violence was. Read these reviews

Gamespot - 9.6/10 While the violent nature of the game will surely turn some people off and kids simply shouldn't be allowed anywhere near it, GTA III is, quite simply, an incredible experience that shouldn't be missed by anyone mature enough to handle it". Game Informer gave it a 9.5/10, stating "The environments of Liberty City are stunning in scope and detail, dwarfing anything I've ever seen, and your choices are endless". GameSpy awarded the game with 9.4/10 stating "A fantastically designed and fun game that's one of the most absorbing, entertaining titles released in a while. It gets better and better with every single day, as you continue discovering new little features here and there. ". Game Revolution gave the game a perfect score, stating "Just about the best game yet released on the system and one of the most impressive console titles we've ever seen. And I ain't blowing smoke up your tailpipe". GamePro gave the game a 5/5, stating "Greatly improved in GTA III is the stunning visual and sound package." GamesRadar gave the game a perfect 10, stating "Almost immediately after your first play you'll realize that underneath the cloak of controversy that will forever shadow GTA3 sits a truly special, groundbreaking and brilliant game. You'll love it.

In the context of 2001 GTA3 was an astonishingly complex, refreshing and polished game. Compared to modern games its nothing special, its still fun to play but theres so many games with the same features and much more so theres not much point playing it unless you're into the retro games thing. Yeah it looks cartoony and blocky now, even 'ugly' depending on your opinion. But you've got to remember that GTA3 set the bar for open world sandbox games, and we have a lot to thank it for. I still feel its a landmark of a game, and it does have a certain atmosphere that I really love and that cant be replicated. GTA3 was a great game and always will be. It'll keep popping up on lists of most groundbreaking games for a long time.

I couldn't agree more. To add to this, it's also worth considering how the world was changing at the time. GTA III released just after 911 had happened, it appeared as the world that had become more cynical and uncertain about the future, people were angry and needed an outlet. GTA III provided both escapism whilst holding up a mirror to the world as a whole. As awful as that tragedy was, it inadvertently helped create a stage that would boost GTA III up from a popular title to a literal "game changer".

GTA III was also the flagship title that proved to many that video games were for everyone and had no barriers anymore. In a very short time we went from the most popular games being bright child friendly mascot runarounds to mature adult themed playable movies. It started the change in attitude that lead us to a place today where the world no longer thinks of video games as children's play things, but instead as a legitimate form of entertainment for everyone.

• SMACKED! and Yinepi like this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:31 AM Edited by Yinepi, 30 March 2017 - 11:44 AM.

The thing about older GTA's is that they were more focused on driving and car theft. If you look at a majority of Missions in the first three games, they involved stealing cars. Cars to sell at the docks, cars full of drugs, cars to use as murder weapons. This importance of automobiles was heavily promoted in both game-play and promotional media.

Later as the series evolved and switched into the more serious story-driven tone, gun play became more prominent. Also, as technology progressed, Rockstar wanted to attempt to push the boundaries of their game world and added various new types of features, such as parachuting, flying, and the plethora of mini games. This promoted a jack-of-all-trades type mentality that post-VC games have and caused Rockstar to lose focus of the Theft Auto part of the game, and became focused more on the Grand part.

• _Rob_, anthony and Maibatsu545 like this

HLG
  • HLG

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:41 AM

Just bought it Friday on the PS4. Hadn't played since 2001. Grew up with this game and the nostalgia is insane. Definitely has replay value. I don't know what it is but I can't set it down
  • _Rob_ and Maibatsu545 like this

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • France

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:50 PM Edited by Evil-Empire, 02 April 2017 - 09:10 PM.

I bought GTA 3 in 2009 and still play it nowadays. Despite disappointing graphics even for 2001 and with a relatively short length of life this game also has very great qualities. With the ultimate trainer and some mods it's extremely fun to play and addicting.

anthony
  • anthony

Everyone in Liberty sells their soul to the devil.

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:01 PM Edited by anthony, 02 April 2017 - 07:06 PM.

I like the 2000' old school feeling in GTA III, and what I really love the most is how the game is about strictly criminal peoples, acts, situations etc.. The characters don't f*ck around.

This is the definition of Grand Theft Auto to me; lmfaoo about GTA 5.

• Maibatsu545, Simply_Wasted and Yinepi like this

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

GET OFF MY BACK GERALD. PISS OFF AND TAKE THIS L

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:30 PM

I like the 2000' old school feeling in GTA III, and what I really love the most is how the game is about strictly criminal peoples, acts, situations etc.. The characters don't f*ck around.

Gta V ain't got nothing on III. Gta 3 is the grate grandfather of V that started it all. So V can't compare. Sh*tty online can't compare either to these gta classics.
  • Simply_Wasted likes this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

How do you find the graphics disapointing ? please tell me what other games had the level of detail gta3 had back in 2001?

Simply_Wasted
  • Simply_Wasted

YOU CHUBBY MUTHAF*CKA!!! -Sherm Head Ryder (1992)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

Gta V ain't got nothing on III. Gta 3 is the grate grandfather of V that started it all. So V can't compare. Sh*tty online can't compare either to these gta classics.
Same. I always though III was the grandfather of both HD games IV and V. It's really what started it all. Besides the original top down gta's. The first 3D gta all the way to V. And hopefully Gta VI.

Atari-Dude
  • Atari-Dude

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

The last game that felt like a good GTA game was San Andreas... Once IV came around, it started getting too realistic. I like the open world feel of San Andreas, but IV and V just are too interested in realism. When you crash a motorcycle, you tumble for literally blocks. The cars are way too slow and tail happy. GTA 1 through San Andreas is what GTA should have been. Not what it is today.

• Maibatsu545 likes this

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • France

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:12 PM

How do you find the graphics disapointing ? please tell me what other games had the level of detail gta3 had back in 2001?

Max Payne has much better graphics. Even games like Project IGI or Tomb Raider 5 look better.

Arrow
  • Arrow

• Facade
  • India
  • Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

While the graphics feel interesting and fun when you start, the atmosphere starts to feel disappointing after a while. Graphical mods are the only thing that can save it. I've modded GTA III tons of times and believe me when I say it, the game does start to get on your nerves without anything interesting to do.
  • Natasha likes this

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • France

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

I immediately liked the atmosphere in the city but it took me a while to cope with the graphics.

Arrow
  • Arrow

• Facade
  • India
  • Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

I immediately liked the atmosphere in the city but it took me a while to cope with the graphics.

Which is why I use SkyGfx and previously. Both are some of the best enhancements to the graphics.
  • Natasha likes this

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • France

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

My computer is very old and my graphics card sucks, I don't know if it's even worth trying.

anthony
  • anthony

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:33 AM Edited by anthony, 07 April 2017 - 10:36 AM.

I'm pretty sure you can give it a try at least, actually Skygfx bring back the PS2 graphics, it is not a 'mod' like icenhancer or enb series for example, I don't want to say bullsh*t but I don't even think that Sky' consume some fps.

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

I don't want to say bullsh*t but I don't even think that Sky' consume some fps.

On your PC it may not make a difference but on a PC with old configuration it may be slower. But he can give it a try together with widescreen fix
  • anthony likes this

Maibatsu545
  • Maibatsu545

veritas vos liberabit

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:28 PM Edited by Maibatsu545, 12 April 2017 - 11:53 PM.

While my favorite is also Vice City, I can sort of see what you mean OP. GTAIII was not *just* a game release. It was a watershed moment in the history of video gaming as a whole, on the level of Pong, Super Mario or Doom. It changed the way other developers made their games, it was just that undeniably powerful. It was also a major cultural event, breaking sales records. Even the news was talking about it, it was everywhere.

For the player, it was also a revolution. I remember growing up I enjoyed games like Ocarina of Time and such that were semi-open world, but had never seen anything like GTAIII before. The level of detail was incredible. Liberty City felt alive, and dangerous. From the gangs to the police every new corner seemed dangerous. And the idea that such a huge city was open for you to wander around in, it was a mindblowing experience, almost like trying a drug for the first time. But like a drug, you'll sort of be forever chasing that first high with each subsequent time you do it. While the next GTA games that followed were brilliant in their own right, they in a way softened the series thematically. Liberty City felt really dangerous, mysterious and dark. It had an otherworldly nature to it that they could never quite recreate in any games that followed.
  • anthony likes this

anthony
  • anthony

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:03 PM

I don't want to say bullsh*t but I don't even think that Sky' consume some fps.

On your PC it may not make a difference but on a PC with old configuration it may be slower. But he can give it a try together with widescreen fix

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification, I didn't know that.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:25 AM

Whilst I appreciate GTA III for what it done for the gaming industry I only really like it now for its dark and brooding atmosphere. Gameplay wise it hasn't held up well at all IMO. From dodgy shooting mechanics, Claude not being able to do something as simple as jumping out of a speeding car, the insanely annoying gangs that make it impossible to free roam after a while etc.

Don't get me wrong. When I first played it in 2002 it was a thing to behold, but now not so much.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

See, I don't think it's as simple to pin down the love people have for this game to simple nostalgia. On the contrary, replaying it on the PS4 I am struck by just how well it holds up. As MiamiViceCity said above, there are numerous issues with the game, don't get me wrong. Foremost being the line between offering players a challenge, and being unreasonably difficult - the paramedic missions are a good example of this.

But despite this, the graphics hold up really well. Simple and blocky, for sure, but a Hell of a lot better than what we saw in San Andreas. The cars handle like a dream, and it's a real joy to go blazing through the roads in them. And one of the biggest triumphs of the game is in how well space is used. GTA V feels far too big, and so honestly comes across as kind of bland and soulless at times, but GTA III has this cosy feel and allows the player to grow accustomed to their environment, and develop helpful shortcuts as they go along.

And I won't pretend that the story is better than IV or V, because so many of the characters are clearly movie archetypes than well rounded original creations. But the Liberty City in III really has the feel of Scorsese's Taxi Driver, or the grime and danger of The Warriors. The pedestrians are all grotesques, garish and insane, rambling and screaming to themselves. The weather is oppressively grim, especially when the fog hits and you can barely see anything.

It wasn't obsessed with realism. The result is that it's a far more artistic experience, and supremely enjoyable as a result. So, for me at least, it's not a case of nostalgia, it's just that the size and feel of the city combine to make it a far more comfortable and enjoyable game.

If any future GTA scaled back a bit, I'd probably feel very similarly.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:23 PM

The 3d games where amazing really especially SA, i never really liked this game till recently, i now see it for the game it is, especially when you consider how well it ran on a PS2 and really it shouldnt have.

Im not saying the PS2 was crap it was a great machine for its time, i still own 2 and i do get them out sometimes, what im talking about is the fact PS2 ran the game from the disc as it didnt have enough memory, just that still blows me away that the game looks as good as it does.

Going back to GTA3 yes its looking old and the controls seem a little clunky but it is still a ground breaking game, back then i was blown away with what you could  do with your character, it was definately a game changer, many have tried and failed to better it.

SabreGT
  • SabreGT

And the winner by knockout is...!

• BUSTED!
  • England

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

GTA III is a revolutionary classic, with a wonderfully dark & seedy yet magical atmosphere which has still yet to be topped.

Also, I just love the game's script, humour, & characters, even if the story is just your basic revenge plot.

GTA III remains a special game, which is my personal favourite 3D era game and it's much better than Vice City & San Andreas IMO.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:47 AM Edited by Journey_95, 04 August 2017 - 01:02 AM.

Sure, III is still fun after 100%, but there really is nothing to do except Police Rampages or trying to beat your personal records in flying the Dodo

Edit: And of course trying to beat your Turismo records.

I respect that but I just want to say I don't want this topic to turn into a 'whats best GTA' this isn't about what is the best, it is about what is the most definitive in terms of the old aesthetic. there's a clear fracture that starts at GTA Vice City and ends with what we have currently, which is great but it feels less and less like GTA each time a new one comes out.

I think its a bit silly to say that each GTA since VC (interesting because often 3D Era fans say that its since GTA IV) feels less like GTA.

It restricts the series to a specific style, the first GTA's (especially 3) are no doubt groundbreaking games but GTA had to evolve & it did so for the better. Otherwise we would still be stuck with 2D GTA's.

Overall I think its Nostalgia but I don't blame you as I do the same with other things. 

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:55 AM

The last game that felt like a good GTA game was San Andreas... Once IV came around, it started getting too realistic. I like the open world feel of San Andreas, but IV and V just are too interested in realism. When you crash a motorcycle, you tumble for literally blocks. The cars are way too slow and tail happy. GTA 1 through San Andreas is what GTA should have been. Not what it is today.

Sure, basically never evolve and stay the same..thats exactly what they should have done

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users