GTA3 - Blinded Sighted Nostalgia or...

53 replies to this topic
Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:07 PM Edited by Mikeol2014, 05 July 2016 - 09:22 PM.

the first & last 3D GTA game to keep the 'GTA' magic?

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, I have a hunger to completely replay GTA3 but I'm not buying it on PS Store yet for 11 quid that can wait, I have it on my phone but i wanna controller in my hand... Anyway... I am talking nonsense now, to my point...

Do you think, as I'm starting to... that GTA3 was the first and the last game in the series to really capture the magic of GTA? I think it lived on for a few games after, but only... and this is crucial, in the radio stations. I mean, I miss the 'not simplicity' should I say, of III, but the charm of the old game, the old jokes, the cartoon-y ness, which had been consistent from GTA1 up til IV. I guess the overall aesthetic which I thought was quite strong in the early days has petered out over the games

Don't get me wrong, overall vice city was my favourite but I think a lot of that is due to the soundtrack. It was their first foray into a 'story based' game and they took heavily from Scarface, same with San Andreas and the revelant films... San Andreas was incredible, but it was the start of the feature-laden era...things etc are just not really needed. I've put a lot of time into practically all of the GTA's since 1997, bar the gameboy versions.

I feel, like... in the last few days I've made the decision that GTA3 is probably the definitive 3D GTA; and I would like there to be a return to I guess, the old aesthetic...

• universetwisters, Pyrrhic, Mr.ClaudeFan and 2 others like this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:09 PM

Yup, that's the magic of the 3D Era.  Sadly, this essence has been gone for a while, I am afraid...

• Mikeol2014 and Maibatsu545 like this

Fooking Rekt
  • Fooking Rekt

Special Vehicle Collector

• BUSTED!
  • GoSquared

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:10 PM

Correction; SA was the last "Real" GTA. The girlfriends were useful additions, and if you don't want them you can ignore them.

III doesn't have much to do after 100, and one 100% playtrough takes less than 24 hours. Meanwhile a 100% SA save takes like 40 hours (even more when collecting special vehicles) and it has replay value. E.g the Arcade games, Races, Lowrider Challenge etc, Beat the Cock etc.

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:28 PM

Correction; SA was the last "Real" GTA. The girlfriends were useful additions, and if you don't want them you can ignore them.

III doesn't have much to do after 100, and one 100% playtrough takes less than 24 hours. Meanwhile a 100% SA save takes like 40 hours (even more when collecting special vehicles) and it has replay value. E.g the Arcade games, Races, Lowrider Challenge etc, Beat the Cock etc.

I disagree that III doesn't have replay value. I played it until the day vice city came out, and developed tonnes of fun things to do in the game, stretching the limits of what was possible etc. I agree with you in some ways, but I also feel that both Vice City & San Andreas are although original stories, heavily influenced by their influences, and I feel nowadays, or at least just the way I've felt recently that this detracts from their position in being part of the original GTA experience. I'm talking about an experience that carried from the top down original games. 

Yes it is sad that it has petered out a bit these days.

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

__Keep it Old School__

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:35 PM Edited by GTA_The_Series, 05 July 2016 - 09:36 PM.

Yup, that's the magic of the 3D Era.  Sadly, this essence has been gone for a while, I am afraid...

Lot of the fans moved on. There's a massive amounts of people who played the old gta's but moved on with that new era stuff or just stopped playing all together. And R* has changed a lot over the years. It makes me feel wierd i enjoy III till this day just to pass time. I'm so lost in nostalgia :cry:
  • Maibatsu545 and Simply_Wasted like this

Fooking Rekt
  • Fooking Rekt

• BUSTED!
  • GoSquared

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:37 PM Edited by Fooking Rekt, 05 July 2016 - 09:37 PM.

Sure, III is still fun after 100%, but there really is nothing to do except Police Rampages or trying to beat your personal records in flying the Dodo

Edit: And of course trying to beat your Turismo records.

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:43 PM

Sure, III is still fun after 100%, but there really is nothing to do except Police Rampages or trying to beat your personal records in flying the Dodo

I respect that but I just want to say I don't want this topic to turn into a 'whats best GTA' this isn't about what is the best, it is about what is the most definitive in terms of the old aesthetic. there's a clear fracture that starts at GTA Vice City and ends with what we have currently, which is great but it feels less and less like GTA each time a new one comes out.

• vnus_dmlo likes this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:44 PM Edited by MetalMilitia89, 05 July 2016 - 09:50 PM.

Lot of the fans moved on...

...And then years later complain that the 3D Era GTA's aren't ported to their new Console(s) with ultra intense graphics :D :p

I see it in countless topics on a daily basis.  That's what happens when you get rid of "old" things and then years later wish they were back.  I won't ever stop playing.  But that also goes for the HD Era.  More or less I see people on this Forum who are in favor of a game or two in the Series.  They don't even play many of them...I own 10 GTA's and I like all 10 I own, but for different reasons of course.  However, I know what the OP means since I grew up with gaming in the 90's and early 2000's.

GTA III had such a distinct feeling to it and no other GTA has actually captured the same essence...

I loved how the enemies were so overpowered, too.  Like during some Missions, guys with Flamethrowers and Shotguns.  VC onwards?  You see them with Bats, Pistols, Uzi, nothing that is going to cause you much harm.  After playing III for 15 years, I can say I mastered it, however, I didn't stand a chance back in 2001.  Times have changed.  In 2001, you want a Guide to find 100 Hidden Packages.  Go on Gamefaqs and print a 20 page novel on how to find them.  Now a days, go to Youtube and look for a 30 minute video showing all locations.  New gamers got it easy these days compared to when these were first released.  Guides for everything now.  Back then, you had nothing, basically...100 Hidden Packages could quite possibly take you 8 real life hours back then...Now?  It's a joke.

• Mikeol2014, vnus_dmlo, anthony and 2 others like this

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

Lot of the fans moved on...

...And then years later complain that the 3D Era GTA's aren't ported to their new Console(s) with ultra intense graphics :D :p

I see it in countless topics on a daily basis.  That's what happens when you get rid of "old" things and then years later wish they were back.  I won't ever stop playing.  But that also goes for the HD Era.  More or less I see people on this Forum who are in favor of a game or two in the Series.  They don't even play many of them...

That's what I mean it is interesting... I feel a lot of fans that came late to the series don't quite understand that point. I started in '97 with GTA1 and I feel there was a solid aesthetic from 1,2 & 3 which ended with Vice City... (even though VC is my fav overall!) Which is interesting because I don't even feel that the perspective jump from 2 to 3 was a big change (and no it's not because you can choose to play top down if you want) 

• DimitriFaustin and Yinepi like this

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

__Keep it Old School__

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:49 PM Edited by GTA_The_Series, 05 July 2016 - 09:50 PM.

I don't do any of this in III since i achieved 100% completion years ago along with VC. I just mess around with the cheats to have fun. With Weaponsforall cheat i could have a blast on my play through all day long just laughing at peds killing each other and enjoy it like if it was a new game. Like i said i'm far too stuck in the old days :turn:

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

I don't do any of this in III since i achieved 100% completion years ago along with VC. I just mess around with the cheats to have fun. With Weaponsforall cheat i could have a blast on my play through all day long just laughing at peds killing each other and enjoy it like if it was a new game. Like i said i'm far too stuck in the old days :turn:

I don't think that is a bad thing.

GTA (the original) had a simple, arcade feel too it, this was still present in III but started to disappear in Vice City (slightly) and quite largely in San Andreas. 

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

__Keep it Old School__

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:02 PM Edited by GTA_The_Series, 05 July 2016 - 10:03 PM.

I don't think that is a bad thing.

GTA (the original) had a simple, arcade feel too it, this was still present in III but started to disappear in Vice City (slightly) and quite largely in San Andreas. 
It's nice too see i'm not the only one who plays these classics. I mean i'll admit i play V from time to time but the 3D era has so much to offer. Just different things the new games don't have. I'm not really referring to IV since it's kinda old but more to V in which people enjoy that online crap they play (Imo of course). You can't forget these gta's that came first.

Fooking Rekt
  • Fooking Rekt

• BUSTED!
  • GoSquared

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

The 3D GTA Era will always remain the best. R* went downhill after SA, and especially after IV.

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:31 PM Edited by Mikeol2014, 06 July 2016 - 01:22 AM.

Definitely. I just surmise the point that there was more of a change of direction from III going into Vice City than there was from 2 going into III. That might be quite an eyebrow raising thought to some. Don't get me wrong, I play V & Online all the time, its the latest GTA, so I will... until the next! as my gaming life has been for the past 19 years!

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

Chocolate

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Hong-Kong
  • Major Contribution Award [Mods]
    Helpfulness Awards [Mods]

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:14 PM Edited by spaceeinstein, 06 July 2016 - 07:16 PM.

I feel like R* knew III has something unique to it and attempted to return to that style with IV. But it seems like the majority of the fans would rather have GTA be chock full of features than be a quality game. I believe SA really spoiled people and we have V as a result.
  • Mikeol2014, vnus_dmlo, Pyrrhic and 2 others like this

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:01 PM

I feel like R* knew III has something unique to it and attempted to return to that style with IV. But it seems like the majority of the fans would rather have GTA be chock full of features than be a quality game. I believe SA really spoiled people and we have V as a result.

Yeah that is pretty much on point with the way I consider things have panned out too. I really wouldn't be adverse to them doing a bit of a u-turn and going back into the the former aesthetic style from III era again, of course with better visuals but... quite distinctly different from the GTA we see today. I feel this is the way the series needs to go anyway! 

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

I just really want to play GTA3 with GTA5 graphics... I would pay my last money for this. If some day I have this opportunity - I could die in peace.

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

I just really want to play GTA3 with GTA5 graphics... I would pay my last money for this. If some day I have this opportunity - I could die in peace.

This would be great. I think they should open the tunnel up and link it to Carcer. So a newer game would include the entirety of GTA3's story and then another full set of missions in the 'city beyond the tunnel' whether that ends up being Carcer or an 3 era version of Alderney, that'd be sweet. 

I just feel as though Arcade & Retro are having a renaissance (although admittedly that is in its twilight now) and I would kinda like to see Rockstar jump on that band wagon.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

Chocolate

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Hong-Kong

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:51 PM

R* won't jump on the bandwagon, if there is even one. RenderWare-based games are done. All R* had ever done is just port them over to different systems.
  • GTA_The_Series likes this

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

__Keep it Old School__

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:02 PM

R* won't jump on the bandwagon, if there is even one. RenderWare-based games are done. All R* had ever done is just port them over to different systems.

Ain't that the truth? R* has moved on by this point :/

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:06 PM Edited by Mikeol2014, 09 July 2016 - 10:06 PM.

Ewww no I'm not suggesting they make another game in the older engine, but rather bring back the arcade feel of it. spinning weapons, stupid missions, RC Bandit.... etc. 

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:03 PM

Interesting thought that I unfortunately can not contribute much to as the 3D Era games are the only ones I've ever played. They're also the only ones I really want to play, the series did in my eyes take a strong turn with GTA IV towards something that was a lot more story driven and serious than before but maybe I'm imagining.

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:46 AM Edited by Mikeol2014, 10 July 2016 - 12:53 AM.

Interesting thought that I unfortunately can not contribute much to as the 3D Era games are the only ones I've ever played. They're also the only ones I really want to play, the series did in my eyes take a strong turn with GTA IV towards something that was a lot more story driven and serious than before but maybe I'm imagining.

yes the strong turn happened at IV but my argument is the turn started happening as early as Vice City.

The HD era games are worth playing, regardless. It's good to know there are others out there that miss the GTA vibe
something I feel has completely deconstructed at this point now with V & Online. I guess in effect what I'm saying is I've looked back on the whole time line of direction of the series and I have only just discovered I don't like it...

Sorry I'm late to the party for some :p

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:48 AM

They pretty much jumped off a cliff after VCS, the final 3D Era GTA...I can tolerate the HD Era GTA's in small doses, but they surely don't make 'em like they used to...

• Maibatsu545 likes this

Misunderstood
  • Misunderstood

Keep up, motherf*cker!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:49 PM

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who likes both the HD and 3D era. 2D era is good but for some reason, I can't get into them again and I've stopped trying. 3D Era offered some great fun and I can, and still, play any one of them any time I feel like it. They are games that will last forever. I don't give a f*ck if it's 2031, I will still be playing these games. I hear a lot of people who say III hasn't aged well but I still find it to be a good looking game in its own right. Only game in the 3D era I don't love as much as the others is Liberty City Stories. Story was boring, gameplay was meh (probably cause I've only ever played it on PSP) and none of the characters interested me. But the HD era is also good in my opinion. IV and its DLC were great and pushed the limits for what I thought a game could do with its story and had, and still has, great physics and still holds up today. Then we had Chinatown Wars which sort of gave us a blast from the past with the 2D (technically, 2.5D) style gameplay and it was also great. Only HD era game that didn't deliver is V. It's not a bad game but just disappointed me a lot. 

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:10 PM

Tbh,i never saw you talking about how much you love a gta game except for gta 4,i really doubt that you will ever like any future gta game

I also don't get it.  Fans of the Series should like....The SERIES.  Not just one GTA...

I like them all for various, and different reasons.  This includes V, as well....A GTA in which I didn't like as much up until now.  It's still my least favorite in the Series, but I gained a lot more appreciation for it....3 years later...

From another Topic I replied in earlier...

Every GTA I own, I like.  Not all of them are equal in terms of what I like to do in them, though.  But still, at the end of the day, I find the HD Era can only be played in strides with frequent breaks.  They might be graphically superior and even story-telling superior, but I try to look at the WHOLE package.  There is more pros than cons of what I like to do in the 3D Era compared to the HD Era.  All, or MOST of the challenging aspects have been removed in the HD Era which is a BIG reason I am not into it as much as the 3D Era.  Things are rapidly being discovered to this day in the 3D Era as well.  That speaks volumes about the old games and also about the fan base of the old games.

• Maibatsu545 likes this

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:28 PM

I am huge fan of the 3D era, that's why I played GTA 4 in 2013 for the first time. But actually GTA 4 is a good game. It's a bad PC port (I have only PC) but the game itself is good. It has a good storyline (also a long one), many side missions and what is even better - you can pass it in different ways. You also have 2 different endings.

--Vega--
  • --Vega--

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:37 PM

Honestly, no. That title goes to Vice City Stories which I feel was truly the last GTA game. (V was getting back on track as far as feeling like an advanced GTA game, but the story was executed HORRIBLY and the lack of side missions and objectives kind of killed the vibe)... we can HOPE GTA VI nails it this time.

III just felt like a 3D version of GTA 1 & 2. I actually loved a lot of the radio in 2, and III did an excellent job nailing radio stations, that's for sure. But I very much welcomed the updates and changes made in 3D GTAs after III, and they greatly enhanced the series. I personally felt IV as a step back from San Andreas. Sure the graphics were updated, but they removed almost ALL of the features they had built up to that point and in general didn't feel as open and free as the previous titles.

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:42 AM Edited by Still Madd, 14 July 2016 - 05:50 AM.

It's all about players likes, a few will choose III, other ones will choose SA - VC and so on. 

As a SA fanboy, I can't say anything that results impartial so I rather shut my mouth.

Every 3D GTA game had their own awesome and "magisterial" features that made us feel amazed, it's all about likes.

3D Era revolutionized Rockstar for complete, a huge part of the GTA comunity know the feeling of turning your PS2/PC on and game all day (back 10 years ago, ofc).

That's why 3D era is going to be the best that ever existed in R* industry, now HD era audience is meh, kinda ridiculous unlike before, and i'm talking about gaming.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

Chocolate

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Hong-Kong

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:46 AM Edited by spaceeinstein, 14 July 2016 - 09:36 AM.

How do you define what is best, or what makes something "GTA"? Quality of the game? Quantity of features? The storytelling? Revenue generated for the company? Platform it was first released on? Popularity? Metacritic score? The ever subjective personal preference, opinion, and nostalgia? With so many people comparing IV with SA and not other games, it seems like the quantity of features is the metric that people go by to define what a "GTA" game should be. Why did so many people ignore the games that came in between them, or not compare IV with III which it is clearly based upon?
  • PhillBellic and Yinepi like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users