The best smartphone/tablet apps

14 replies to this topic
Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

Some apps can really change for good the user's experience, adding or replacing features. With this thread, I want a place where users can share the apps in their opinion are a "must-have", and maybe finding out new great apps they might not know about.

Please, do not post social media or game apps, because those are either known or entertaining apps, the idea is instead to share productivity and utility apps.

So, here's my picks:

SwiftKey Keyboard (free): This very useful keyboard really makes typing easier and quicker on mobile devices. It includes gigantic libraries for an huge amount of languages that is always growing, plus it learns fromusual expressions of that particular language, and it's own user's usual words and expressions - so instead of having it autocorrecting what you type for other words that make no sense on your phrase, it'll be way more accurate and it'll even predict those stuff you use to say regularly without even noticing. Not only it's autocorrecting and predicting system is accurate, it also has plenty of customization options, such as the size and placement on the screen and a lot of free and paid themes to choose from, allowing the user to customize it to the best design and functionality preferences of the user.

Google Now Launcher (free): If you have a Nexus device, then skip this one. If not, then you might be interested. One of the things I like about Android is the possibility to change the launcher (main menu) to one of the plenty to choose from, each featuring it's particular features. Google Now is, from those I already tried, the best imo, offering a simple yet practical design and some features you'd otherwise need to install multiple apps to have, such as news (that learn from your search to know your preferences, thus showing more content that you might be interested on; and on the other hand allowing you to choose themes and websites you are not interested to not receive any news from them) and weather from your current and regular localizations. It also offers a voice search system, if that's your thing (not mine though).

Opera Mini Browser (free): I first discovered this app when I needed a quick and light browser back to my first smartphone which had very low specs and couldn't run properly other browsers. Back then it was pretty much straightfoward: you had a light browser, offering you a "regular" mode that worked like other browsers, and a "high saving mode" that saved you internet, great if you use mobile data. Nowadays it has the same features and characteristics, plus many more - such as it's own built-in ad blocker, a "night mode" that reduces the brightness and can optionally give the screen a yellowish tone to be easier to read on low light without forcing the eyes and an option to receive Facebook notifications trough it.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

Clean Master.

Keeps your sh*t clean and what have you.

Kingroot.

Easily roots your device with one button, no problem for me on my end.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

I guess not many people found this thread useful, but well, here's one more pick:

Nova Launcher (Android; free or 5-6$ for the Premium version): I've been using Google Now pretty much since the app was released, and it's a great, light launcher to mask custom Android versions like TouchWiz with some stock Android vibes. I've switched to Nova Launcher recently and I'm loving it, it has tons of customization options to get the looks you like the most (or mimic other launchers/ custom Android versions), plus it comes with a ton of new functionalities, even more if you're willing to pay for the premium version.

A worth try to get the most of your phone in terms of customization, with our having to go the rooting path.

Michael
  • Michael

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:46 PM

One of the best mobile applications I ever used on my phone is called VSCO. VSCO is a free mobile application on Android and Apple phones to edit photographs. A lot of celebrities and popular people like Connor Franta used these applications to make their pictures look better. So here's the deal, VSCO is free and includes a few free filters but if you want more filters you can buy them for just one dollar or more. I got all the filters for free so I don't have to worry about that. VSCO also gives free filters to their customers. So if you follow their social media accounts you can keep updated when they add limited edition free filters. The thing with VSCO is that it's a really professional application. You can change how much the filter can change your picture and there's much more features. So if you are interested in taking your mobile photography game to a whole new level, try VSCO. They also have tutorials on their YouTube account which includes a lot of great tips for mobile photography.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:27 PM Edited by Shaytan, A week ago.

More apps I've been trying over the last year and found quite useful as well:

Ghostery Privacy Browser (Android, iOS): while on the desktop Ghostery is available as an extension for the most popular browsers, they've developed their own standalone browser for mobile. The main aspect of Ghostery is to block Web trackers, allowing you to use the Internet with higher safety and privacy. It also has its own built-in ad blocker and it's a very lightweight and fast browser (two aspects it's most popular competitors have been gradually loosing).

Facebook Hello (Android, iOS): while developed by Facebook, it's not directly related with social networking. Instead, this app works as a phone app and either when anyone calls you or when you search for a number, it'll search for that number on their database and, if it's associated with a Facebook profile, display it as well as all it's public info. Since most people use this social network nowadays and it asks all the time to add a phone number, odds are the majority of people will be displayed. I find this very useful since I buy and sell stuff online so I'm used to be contacted by numbers I don't know, yet I can get to see some details of the person even before answering. Another great aspect is that it can block private numbers as well as numbers marked as spam or fraud. (Note this app is restricted to the US but it will work worldwide)

Cortana Assistant (Android, iOS; comes stock on Win10 Mobile): there are plenty of mobile assistants to pick from nowadays. Function wise, Cortana is not really the best but if you own a Windows 10 PC this app can be a great integration of both your devices, regardless it's manufacturer. There are plenty of cross device functionalities such as texting people from Cortana on PC.

Tunnel Bear VPN (Android, iOS): one of the few trustworthy VPN apps that offer a free service with reasonable speeds. You get 500mb free per month (plus an extra gb if you tweet about them every month), connectivity for a lot of countries in the world (no need to subscribe the paid service to choose different servers) and a very user friendly interface. Undoubtedly the VPN service I recommend the most.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

I don't really use any apps other than TIDAL and a Bitcoin wallet app (plus the usual social networking\internet apps). I like to keep things simple but I do use a custom launcher (Nova). I wish I could get the old Cyanogen File Manager to work on LineageOS (Android 7.1.2). I flashed the app but it won't open any folders for me.

Qaziush
  • Qaziush

Sticks & Stones break bones but the gat kill ya quicker.

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

Chess Free from google play.If you like to challenge your mind just play it at hardest setting.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for your contribution, but this thread is directed mostly to utility apps. Games are usually easy to find on dedicated videos and articles, yet when it comes to this type of apps, reviewers always mix them with games as well, that many people might not be interested on.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:56 AM

Xender: Best App for easy tranfer via WiFi Direct.
ShareIt: Another decent alternative to Xender.
PicsArt: Decent picture editor for Android. Comes with a wide array of options to choose from.
Truecaller: For identifying Unknown Callers across the Globe.
Automatic Call Recorder: Records all your calls automatically for a variety of purposes.
Google Earth: Gain a new perspective for various places on earth with the swipe of a finger.

Unity_One
  • Unity_One

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:32 AM

Clean Master.

Kingroot.

Easily roots your device with one button, no problem for me on my end.

I thought that Clean Master eats RAM a lot. I never install any cleaning app because its useless.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:07 AM

Clean Master.

I thought that Clean Master eats RAM a lot. I never install any cleaning app because its useless.

+1. Nowadays CM is useless, it used to be useful for the single reason of deleting cache in one click back in the Android 4.x days where there was no such option from the Storage settings, but now it does more harm that good. It's well proven that the way it "turns off" apps is pointless because they're programmed to re-open right after and so does the RAM cleaning. Plus it comes with a bunch of random features that if you're not careful you skip the button not to turn them on and the usual load of (cr)a(p)-ds.

For that purpose, Greenify is a much more viable alternate. I don't use it, though, because amongst the bloatware that came with my Samsung phone, it came with some Smart Manager app that has an option that works hte say way (ironically it was developed in partnership with Cheetah Mobile - but apparently just the pointless RAM stuff and whatnot).

Mitsuha
  • Mitsuha

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

I use this app called Shazam; really helpful to me especially when I wanted to know the title of the music I hear on public areas or on the radio.

Available on the App Store and the Play Store, get it here in case you do not know yet - https://www.shazam.com/apps
  • Audi likes this

MuntyJack
  • MuntyJack

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:12 PM Edited by MuntyJack, 21 July 2017 - 11:50 AM.

I would add Ccleaner, Shazam and Disk Drill to this list. I think it's must have for all phone users.  Personally I often use the last one when I need to restore the deleted files from my iPhone, as a rule use the cleverfiles guide page . PS I have read recently that icloud backup doesn't work anymore.

3-Disk-Drill-for-Mac-review-macosworld-r

• Mitsuha likes this

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:11 AM

Clean Master.

For that purpose, Greenify is a much more viable alternate. I don't use it, though, because amongst the bloatware that came with my Samsung phone, it came with some Smart Manager app that has an option that works hte say way (ironically it was developed in partnership with Cheetah Mobile - but apparently just the pointless RAM stuff and whatnot).

I never thought I'd say this but Xiaomi's MIUI has better Ram Management as well as proper cleaner in form of a security app which does a better job than 360 Security, Clean Master or Samsung's smart manager.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago

Ghostery Privacy Browser (Android, iOS): while on the desktop Ghostery is available as an extension for the most popular browsers, they've developed their own standalone browser for mobile. The main aspect of Ghostery is to block Web trackers, allowing you to use the Internet with higher safety and privacy. It also has its own built-in ad blocker and it's a very lightweight and fast browser (two aspects it's most popular competitors have been gradually loosing).

After using this browser I previously recommended for a reasonable ammount of time, I no longer recommend its use for the reason (as ironycal as it seems), although being meant to protect your privacy, it collects personal data (identifying and compromising data such as your name, email and credit card), even allowing third parties to access them. Very lame from these guys and no longer deserve my trust. Lesson learnt, always read the privacy statement kids (and what a shame from a seemingly reputable developer).

To compensate, I suggest Mozilla Firefox Focus (also for both iOS and Android) which does basically the same thing, but, as expected from Mozilla, better respecting your privacy, even if you allow it to collect annonymous data. A shame it lacks many features that could make it a solid browser such as Ghostery (unfortunately Focus doesn't offer multiple tabs or an option to not delete cookies every time you close it), but if you care about your privacy on mobile it's worth the hassle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users