Red Dead Online - Discussion & Speculation

144 replies to this topic
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:00 PM

Nothing is confirmed yet but if this is a standalone online game it will be one I'm staying the f*ck away from.

Same also applies if turns out like V.

"Nothing is confirmed yet but I'm already having a knee jerk reaction to nothing."

Being cautious is the smart thing here considering what happened with V and sh*tty GTA Online

• Street Mix likes this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Wanna play with me on PS4? Add me: rph_brasil

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:38 PM

If red dead 3's online takes more priority over the single player(if it isn't as superior as redemption's) than there is nothing we can do about that. We may be waiting years for single player DLC to arrive like GTA v. Redemptions single player didnt require any new guns or horses as DLC as it was perfect already. Plus undead nightmare satisfied those wanting more Marston.

Yes there is something you can do about it, return the game and ask for a refund or don't even buy the game.

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:48 AM Edited by Cyper, 19 October 2016 - 07:52 AM.

''The games vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.''

From this text, it is clear that the open world in singleplayer will be the foundation for the development of online. Considering the success with GTA Online, it is very likely that the new Red Dead will follow the same trail: singleplayer will echo emptiness while the online section constantly gets filled with updates - like in GTA V.

This makes me unsure if I am even going to buy the game. I will at least not pre-order the game, that is for sure. I am not buying the game for online gameplay. I am never going to play online.  It's going to be interesting to see what lays ahead. For example, what kind of trailer will it be? What kind of information will be leaked? How long will it take for R to start talking about online? In what way will singleplayer be tailored for online

• Osho and DeeDogg_ like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

singleplayer will echo emptiness

It already did this in Red Dead Redemption 1. That was one of the things that created all the atmosphere. The natural environment they're using kind of encourages that emptiness, as does the time period. 

• The Deadite and DeeDogg_ like this

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

GTAV= Style over substance

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:38 AM

singleplayer will echo emptiness

It already did this in Red Dead Redemption 1. That was one of the things that created all the atmosphere. The natural environment they're using kind of encourages that emptiness, as does the time period. 

I agree but it still sounds like they built the map primarily for a foundation for multiplayer which isnt sounding too good. We dont even have footage and R* is really emphasizing on Online :/

• Cyper likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:40 AM

I'm absolutely certain Rockstar are going to treat RDR 2 in the same manner as V.
The way they have phrased it, leaves no doubt on my mind.
I would love to be proved wrong than trust R* pre-ordering the game, again, falling into the trap of their fancy trailers, marketing gimmicks and big claims like "epic tale" and what not.
Nope. Sorry R*. No matter how graphically rich and gorgeous the world looks, I'll wait for the reviews of your "epic tale" before buying it.
  • Cyper and Kafonix like this

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:48 PM Edited by Cyper, 19 October 2016 - 01:50 PM.

I'm absolutely certain Rockstar are going to treat RDR 2 in the same manner as V.
The way they have phrased it, leaves no doubt on my mind.
I would love to be proved wrong than trust R* pre-ordering the game, again, falling into the trap of their fancy trailers, marketing gimmicks and big claims like "epic tale" and what not.
Nope. Sorry R*. No matter how graphically rich and gorgeous the world looks, I'll wait for the reviews of your "epic tale" before buying it.

It is very, very alarming that the first announcement implicitly says that Singleplayer will be the foundation of the game and online the game, e.i the real and full experience. Unless I would be so gullible to believe that all the content that is coming for online also will be added into singleplayer - that would indeed be the highest level of credulity. Indeed, stories of epic tales and fancy trailers is not going to affect me, neither is blind fanboy-wishthinking and defending of the game doing to do so. I'll be safe than sorry.

I am not going to pre-order the game. I'll wait for the reviews as well. Does not matter if it is only about a few days. Oh, and I do not have PS4 or Xbox - so I'll would have to wait for the PC version anyway. Further, I do not support this ''online'' business. Why should I? I don't play online and never will.  :cool:

• Osho and Kafonix like this

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:36 PM Edited by Jabalous, 19 October 2016 - 03:37 PM.

I enjoyed Redemption's multiplayer back in 2010 and 2011 and had a blast playing team deathmatches and hunting other players in free roam. The world's atmosphere did nothing but encouraged me to spend more time immersing myself into it with other live players. However, that was back in the days when there were no shark cards and an in-game economy. Everything was open for everyone and you had to level up in order to unlock new weapons and new horse breeds, but you didn't have to grind and watch your dollars going away while spending them in an ammunition store. You could simply walk to boxes scattered around the map in order to refill with more ammo. 

A Redemption 2 multiplayer mode will most likely be inspired by GTA Online. I don't know to what extent R* will go in order to justify creating an in-game economy, because there's not much to sell and buy in the old west compared to the modern world of GTA. How many horse breeds (vehicle) could they provide for the player to purchase? You might have your own barn (horse garage) and a safehouse, but there's nothing attractive about buying a different horse breed unless it has more stamina and speed. Unlike cars, horses look the same for the average player and you cannot decorate them with new colors.

I hope that R* will focus more on bringing meaningful content to the multiplayer than emulating what they've been doing with GTA during the past three years. New content that is based on new clothes and accessorial customization are uninspired and I hope that they don't bring this virus to the atmospheric world of Red Dead, or at least it doesn't become a focus and heavily marketed. I will love a multiplayer mode that adds new mini-games, more story-driven coop missions, new maps and so on, and to top it off, I will be happier with no an in-game economy.

• Ollie23 and otachi like this

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:40 AM

This may be the first Rockstar game that I skip completely. Too bad there's an online mode, shows that they really don't care about single player anymore. Rockstar used to be great but after GTA Online, I just cant support them anymore, its sad to see them become wanna be EA.
  • LeakyLine and Kafonix like this

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:53 AM

I just hope if it's like GTA Online. They let your horse return fully maxed out with stamina, etc with no penalty if some asswhipe decides to kill it..... or just make owned horses immune, there's no reason you SHOULD kill another player's horse unless you're an ass.

tonko
  • tonko

sgt. Handsome

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

I'm so freakin' hyped, i can't even think straight.

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:23 AM

Nothing is confirmed yet but if this is a standalone online game it will be one I'm staying the f*ck away from.

"Nothing is confirmed yet but I'm already having a knee jerk reaction to nothing."

Being cautious is the smart thing here considering what happened with V and sh*tty GTA Online

Just when i thought this thread ran out of salt....

Seriously though, here's hoping there is a hidden panzer somewere online. Because shooting up cowboys on horses in an iron Rhino would be fun.

ExTerminator
  • ExTerminator

Heil Houser!

• Members
  • South-Ossetia

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:22 AM

Here's my take on Red Dead Online-

1) The game will feature a character creator similar to GTA Online, allowing the player to create their character, select their ancestry & physical features and allot skills. 

2) Personal horses instead of personal cars.

3) Cash & RP, returing from GTA Online.

4) Own a barn (similar to a garage in GTA), where the player can store their horses, along with money and their weaponry. 

5) Contact Missions - Similar to GTA Online, the player can do Contact Missions, usually designed for 4 players. Doing with friends increases RP or Cash received.

6) Gangs - The player will be able to form a gang, with 9 other RDO players. Gangs unlock players power weapons, armour, horses, more missions and is a quicker way to make money.

7) Heists make a return. A team of 2-4 rob bank, vaults, or trains. 

8) Farms - A player can purchase a farm, which generates money after successful product deliveries. Other players can attack it to destroy it or steal the supplies.

9) Activities, like Team Deathmatch, Last Team Standing, Duels, Horse Racing etc.

10) A Red Dead version of Freemode Events, like most headshot kills, horses killed, farthest jumps etc.

• LeakyLine, 2281 and Pressure Drop like this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

Pretty simple: if it's good, i will play it same as gtao. Hopefully they learned from V, and without Benzzzies around i am very curious to see how this game pans out... :/

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

S.T.A.R.S Unit/The Dear R* Girl

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

Where is the money glitch?

I'm not paying for gold bars.

Some one jailbreak the Xbox or ps4 already.
  • LeakyLine and TheDB420 like this

The Happy Clown
  • The Happy Clown

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:58 AM

I hope I dont die from stepping on a pond lol.

• V4S and alkaline_ like this

TheSauce2323
  • TheSauce2323

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

Don't understand why everyone is so skeptical about RDR2 and hating on GTA V. GTA V had a great 30 hour single player campaign with a bunch of side missions. It's not like it was online only. And further more, for all of you saying that you won't pre-order but rather wait for reviews, GTA V got a 97 on metacritic and that was for single player only! The only "problem" with GTA V was the lack of single player dlc. But lets not pretend like the single player campaign was non existent.
  • Robinhazo likes this

Mole Marston
  • Mole Marston

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:30 PM

This may be the first Rockstar game that I skip completely. Too bad there's an online mode, shows that they really don't care about single player anymore. Rockstar used to be great but after GTA Online, I just cant support them anymore, its sad to see them become wanna be EA.

I really don't understand comments like these.

Rockstar has been committed to online as much as the single player since GTA 4 lol, the only thing that changed in GTA 5 and now likely RDR2 is they are marketing it as it's own thing instead of making it part of the product like they did with RDR and GTA 4.

They did update it significantly after launch but in terms of the launch and what multiplayer content and single player we got, it's no different to RDR or GTA 4. Acting like it's just a new thing with GTA 5 is just wrong and hell most of Red Dead's post launch DLC was multiplayer focused.

They have always been heavily focused on single player and multiplayer during development pre release and that hasn't changed with any of their previous titles and i'm not sure why that would start now.

Because they are advertising Red Dead's online as it's own thing doesn't mean they don't care about the single player, hell did you see all the trailers they did for Redemption for multiplayer before release? that turned out alright.

You are jumping to conclusions without having zero information, i'm sure the game will be great. Oh btw if there's anything to be negative about GTA 5 it's the 3 playable characters and repetitive missions in between the heists and not that an apparent multiplayer focus took away from the single player.

• LewisVee, CobrasCurse and Robinhazo like this

CobrasCurse
  • CobrasCurse

Try me you die...Im addicted to ruining your fun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:35 AM

I dont really care aslong as i can enjoy it with friends as much as i have enjoyed GTAO

I really don't understand comments like these.

Rockstar has been committed to online as much as the single player since GTA 4 lol, the only thing that changed in GTA 5 and now likely RDR2 is they are marketing it as it's own thing instead of making it part of the product like they did with RDR and GTA 4.

They did update it significantly after launch but in terms of the launch and what multiplayer content and single player we got, it's no different to RDR or GTA 4. Acting like it's just a new thing with GTA 5 is just wrong and hell most of Red Dead's post launch DLC was multiplayer focused.

They have always been heavily focused on single player and multiplayer during development pre release and that hasn't changed with any of their previous titles and i'm not sure why that would start now.

Because they are advertising Red Dead's online as it's own thing doesn't mean they don't care about the single player, hell did you see all the trailers they did for Redemption for multiplayer before release? that turned out alright.

You are jumping to conclusions without having zero information, i'm sure the game will be great. Oh btw if there's anything to be negative about GTA 5 it's the 3 playable characters and repetitive missions in between the heists and not that an apparent multiplayer focus took away from the single player.
Some people just love to hate & complain its unfortunate because this will be a really good game they will miss

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:49 AM

Be my guest. 

BUT IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE LIKE THAT I'M GOING TO MAKE DRAMATIC, PATHETIC, IMPOTENT RAGE POSTS ABOUT IT. 

You can't help but feed your own urge to act like an asshole towards people expressing their doubts, huh?

Stop being a dick, the title literally asks for speculation and what pedinhuh did was make a well-deserved innocent speculation speculation, you have no right to be a forum bully.

Agreed, I'll buy it for the SP and meddle with the Online for a bit if it's reasonably good, but if they pull an exclusivity move like they did on GTA V then I'm jumping ship.
  • TheDB420 likes this

Pepperjack
  • Pepperjack

Reasonably

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:43 AM Edited by Pepperjack, 22 October 2016 - 10:44 AM.

I enjoyed Redemption's multiplayer back in 2010 and 2011 and had a blast playing team deathmatches and hunting other players in free roam. The world's atmosphere did nothing but encouraged me to spend more time immersing myself into it with other live players. However, that was back in the days when there were no shark cards and an in-game economy. Everything was open for everyone and you had to level up in order to unlock new weapons and new horse breeds, but you didn't have to grind and watch your dollars going away while spending them in an ammunition store. You could simply walk to boxes scattered around the map in order to refill with more ammo. 

A Redemption 2 multiplayer mode will most likely be inspired by GTA Online. I don't know to what extent R* will go in order to justify creating an in-game economy, because there's not much to sell and buy in the old west compared to the modern world of GTA. How many horse breeds (vehicle) could they provide for the player to purchase? You might have your own barn (horse garage) and a safehouse, but there's nothing attractive about buying a different horse breed unless it has more stamina and speed. Unlike cars, horses look the same for the average player and you cannot decorate them with new colors.

I hope that R* will focus more on bringing meaningful content to the multiplayer than emulating what they've been doing with GTA during the past three years. New content that is based on new clothes and accessorial customization are uninspired and I hope that they don't bring this virus to the atmospheric world of Red Dead, or at least it doesn't become a focus and heavily marketed. I will love a multiplayer mode that adds new mini-games, more story-driven coop missions, new maps and so on, and to top it off, I will be happier with no an in-game economy.

Honestly on a vehicle stand point, I could see them taking the high level mounts from redemptions multiplayer, like the bull buffalo and zebra donkey, and making those the sports car of red dead online

Pressure Drop
  • Pressure Drop

Rocksteady

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:47 AM

I didn't play hardly any of the original multiplayer, but I bought the game again a few days ago and it is better than I remembered! If you still have the game you should hop back on at some point, especially if you didn't give it much time back in the day. The posse system is awesome, much better than GTA's invite system. The gang hideouts are great... I would like to see more focus on PVE / co-op type stuff in online, rather than just deathmatches. I also hope they will make an online co-op campaign similar to the original. Contact missions should be a big feature of online mode IMO.

New features that I think should be brought in:

- You can walk up to anyone and challenge them to a duel online. (similar to the impromptu race feature in GTA)

- You can customize your online character/s appearance (Do not want to select from in-game characters!)

- You can visit clothes stores, and purchase many different types of clothes / accessories to further customize your look (ponchos / hats / bandanas / pocket watches etc)

- Rockstar editor / director mode and creator mode included

- New player animations (some great ideas they could use here eg. Smoke Cigar / Spit on Ground / Itchy Trigger Fingers etc)

- Some degree of horse customisation (Saddle and other things)

- Liars Dice, Blackjack and Poker must return! Would also like to see some other new minigames, maybe Chess / Checkers or something

Just what I can think off the top of my head

• Cameron Star likes this

Stekahedron
  • Stekahedron

Player Hater

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:00 PM

RD:O is a really good oppo. To create an organically developing, narrative driven online experience. There's a lot it can lend from GTA:o but it can be aided by not suffering the stop/start loading mechanics, encourage group experience not just random encounters with strangers and make a highlight of being not separate from the game world but an intrinsic piece interacting meaningfully with both the game as an entity and the other online players. The constraints of time period and technology could really allow rockstar to not try to second guess mod communities but build a world where CO op and HUMAN interaction are the true focus. Developments in these areas would get my money out of my wallet where as GTA:o has failed to.
  • Pressure Drop likes this

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:52 PM

Eh, depending on map size I'm sure they could do a lot better than 30, depends on how the multiplayer works in general though.

BF1 has 64 players, but it has dynamic resolution which drops down to 720p at really busy moments. I'd rather have constant 1080p with just 32 player instead of that if I'm honest.

GTAV had 30 players with constant 1080p30fps. Think that's what we'll get here.

chris_4130
  • chris_4130

Fat Jerk

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:46 PM

There is literally 0% chance that this game will be multiplayer only.

If you're getting yourself worked up into a flap about that, don't bother, you're wasting your time.

Personally, as long as there's plenty of freeroam activities to do as a posse in the online mode I'll be happy. Maby a shared gang hideout that can be upgraded and shared by all gang members rather than one person footing the bill all the time. Looking at you Bikers and CEO updates.

Modojo
  • Modojo

DVA 1 Bad Guys 0

• Members
  • United-States
  • GTAF Snapmatic Logo Winner

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:25 AM Edited by Modojo, 23 October 2016 - 03:25 AM.

Personally, I hope that RDR2 Online doesn't carry all elements and ideas from GTAO since there isn't too much of an incentive for it within the "westernized" online universe.

Although I know for sure that bounties/grieving will still exist, train heists/gang robberies will also be a thing, but other than that there has to be some sort of story driven narrative for those online elements to work properly.

Ex: Allow players to role play and choose to fight for good/bad in the western world. Every decision that each player makes will dictate where their story begins and ends.

LewisVee
  • LewisVee

Unified Nations MC VP

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:32 AM Edited by LewisVee, 23 October 2016 - 09:33 AM.

Online for red dead has MASSIVE potential.
People against online I can understand where they are coming from as gta online has been a disgrace to people who don't buy shark cards (I'm one off them who's hast bought shark cards, ever)
I think we will see 3 specific types off groups on Red Dead Online.:
1. The Law.
You can be a low paid deputy and build your way up to a Marshall. Your allies with other people in the law faction.
2. Outlaws.
Self explanatory, your an outlaw. Give it variety but. Let outlaws fight each other and create there own posses (like ceo or MC)
3. Civilian/solo
This I would love to see, the folk who neither wanna be the law or outlaw. Neutrals. Free roamers.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:43 PM

Am I the only one thinking we might have some sort of seamless online world, a la Watch Dogs, where you can just see random people around the map and you might have the choice to do missions coop or something? Obviously during missions you'd probably be hidden to avoid griefing but...

• Squirrel__Army likes this

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:59 PM

Would be terrible.

But as long as you can completely turn it off I'm fine with. For my first playthrough I'd want to be completely immersed.

Cameron Star
  • Cameron Star

Rock my socks.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

I don't like that idea. Singleplayer and multiplayer need to be separate.

• jrl51592 and Gabriela_L like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users