Red Dead Online Discussion & Speculation

125 replies to this topic
ivarblaauw
  • ivarblaauw

Howling Wolves MC President

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:44 AM

How are you all? Most of you know me from the Map Additions Thread, which I gave up on quite a while ago.

​But I am back on the forums for perhaps the game I have closest to my heart: Red Dead Redemption.
​I know that I walk a mile in front of the crowd by saying I have high expectations of Red Dead's next installment: Renegades* and it's online part: Red Dead Online**.

​Having a great and vast map; ranging from small creeks in the Grizzlies Mountainrange to the Swamps in the Bayou NWA and the canyons of Nuevo Paradiso, will create the ultimate playground for us Westernfans.

So what do you think we will see in this counterpart of GTA Online? Well; here is what I think we will see:

• ​The map:

Spoiler

• ​​Encounters
    ​Encounters will work just like the free roam activities/missions of GTA Online. While freeroaming, players can come across different scenario's and act like they think is best. Outlaw or Marshall system in play, just like the Mental State in GTA Online.

• Missions
    ​Missions will be similar to those current in Red Dead Redemption and GTA Online. Players can team up and play outside of freeroam.

• Hideouts
    ​Hideouts will probably play a bigger role it Red Dead Online as in Red Dead Redemption Online. They will work similar, just walk up and play the hideout.

• Character Creation
    ​This one is quite easy to predict; It will work similar as GTA Online. Buy Clothing, Weapons (and skins) and new horses (and skins) and gear (for both you and your horse) and perhaps a house here and there.

• Hunting
    ​Unlike GTA, Hunting was a big part of Red Dead Redemption, this will only become a bigger part. How, I have no clue, but I know dozens of ideas that could be implemented.

So this is what I think we will see. Let your imagination and speculation loose.

​*That's how I will refer to the next installment from now on
​**This is only the Red Dead Online part, so nothing about Red Dead Renegades singleplayer.

• Mister Pink and AboveTheLawHD like this

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:59 AM

I think everything will be intertwined within free roam.
-Activities
-Missions

But game modes will be separate and like GTAV, users will be able to create their own game modes.

Also, renting rooms or buying houses will be in the game and gang hideouts will be scattered throughout the world. I just hope we get one as grand as Pike's basin though. That was an amazing hideout
  • saintsrow, ivarblaauw and CobrasCurse like this

skyfamster
  • skyfamster

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

Most important feature is the economy ,45minutes sell a horse?the money is based on the breeds?
  • saintsrow and brose_sfr like this

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:16 AM

Chrome horses and hunt the bigfoot freemode events.

• LeakyLine likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:06 PM

f*ck Red Dead Online already if it means the SP will get shafted like with GTA V

• Mister Pink, saintsrow, Shaundi. and 11 others like this

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:42 PM

Sam Houser skin with special forces, such as unleashing darkness forces that can wipe out all enemy players in a deathmatch. In order to enjoy this special force, you have to pay $0.99 for every time you use it.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:29 AM

Chrome horses and hunt the bigfoot freemode events.

Don't forget about 10 Hitching Posts in your Stable. :D

• saintsrow likes this

ivarblaauw
  • ivarblaauw

Howling Wolves MC President

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

f*ck Red Dead Online already if it means the SP will get shafted like with GTA V

True, can't agree more. I love GTA V's online function, but the lack of SP content is pathetic.

Red Dead is and SHOULD ALWAYS stay focussed on the SP and bring the best of that to multiplayer.
I just hope that they won't make the same mistake with Red Dead as they did with GTA.

Red Dead Redemption was the best game for me, as it had the best of both worlds. A magnificent storyline with plot twists and a great combat system, and a lovely online portion.

But please Rockstar; don't forget the Singleplayer, as Red Dead is and should always stay focussed first upon Singleplayer.
  • Jabalous, Rodger Cheeto, Octane and 3 others like this

CreepShow
  • CreepShow

My brothers, let's roll!

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:10 AM

It'll be just another little Rock$tar money maker, to be honest. Brainless kids playing, more stupid useless content, Single player abandoned to death. Rock$tar lost his true focus a long time ago.

• HungryDingo, LeakyLine and Payne Killer like this

FriendlyFireOFF
  • FriendlyFireOFF

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

non contact bare back hopefully is an option

Spoiler

• saintsrow likes this

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:32 PM

A Red Dead Online wouldn't even work.

What do you think we'd even be buying? Horses? Cars and vehicles are the most expensive things in Online aside from Yachts/Office/Warhouses.

I don't think we have to worry about SP getting a kick in the balls again, for this franchise at least. Or maybe I'm just in denial. :p

But they should totally bring Character Creator from GTA Online into Red Dead's MP. That way we can be our own character instead of Red Dead ones. It's not fun/realistic when everyone wants to be the same guy :)

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:59 AM

I don't think it will have any single player.  I have very little interest in online gaming but that's the direction I see Rockstar going in.  That's if a Red Dead game is in development at all.  Until it's officially announced I'll remain highly pessimistic about Rockstar's future with regards to single player games.

If they do release Red Dead Online I think the player will start with very little.  Rags, a donkey and no weapon.  You'll be able to buy cheap rusty old weapons up to beautifully engraved weapons.  Horses will have customisable saddles.  Homes will range from wooden shacks up to large ranches that the player can kit out with decorations and defences such as gattling guns.  They'll be able to hire other players as regulators/bodygaurds (just like Young Guns).  It'll be much the same as GTA Online where there will be a large variety of cool stuff to buy for heavy prices.  Jobs will pay very low amounts to entice players to buy hugely over priced shark cards.  There will be a slow drip of exciting updates containing increasingly expensive stuff.

I suspect, however, that no Red Dead is on the horizon.  Instead it'll be GTA Online 2.

• Chekoloco, LeakyLine and dtsmucker like this

Misunderstood
  • Misunderstood

Keep up, motherf*cker!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:36 PM

Take Red Dead Redemption's online mode. Bring it over to the new Red Dead. Fix some issues with it and enhance some of it. Profit? RDR's online mode sh*ts on GTA Online anyways, which is funny since it's pretty much the blueprint to it. 

• InfernoV, Miscer and jrl51592 like this

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:55 PM

I don't think it will have any single player.  I have very little interest in online gaming but that's the direction I see Rockstar going in.  That's if a Red Dead game is in development at all.  Until it's officially announced I'll remain highly pessimistic about Rockstar's future with regards to single player games.

If they do release Red Dead Online I think the player will start with very little.  Rags, a donkey and no weapon.  You'll be able to buy cheap rusty old weapons up to beautifully engraved weapons.  Horses will have customisable saddles.  Homes will range from wooden shacks up to large ranches that the player can kit out with decorations and defences such as gattling guns.  They'll be able to hire other players as regulators/bodygaurds (just like Young Guns).  It'll be much the same as GTA Online where there will be a large variety of cool stuff to buy for heavy prices.  Jobs will pay very low amounts to entice players to buy hugely over priced shark cards.  There will be a slow drip of exciting updates containing increasingly expensive stuff.

I suspect, however, that no Red Dead is on the horizon.  Instead it'll be GTA Online 2.

Yup, your typical deathmatch mode being made into many varieties but essentially the same concept. If it's going on the same path of GTA Online, then  in addition to what your listed, you can expect feeding your horse, growing crops and selling it to other players to feed their horses, engage in a wild west economy such as selling animal's skins from which clothes and saddles can be made, collect herbs to make medicine that restores your health and you can also sell it to buy weapons and higher grade horses. You don't want to grind and level up to unlock new items? well, we have shark cards whenever you want them. It can give you an instant boost in this tough and resource-limited economy.

Take Red Dead Redemption's online mode. Bring it over to the new Red Dead. Fix some issues with it and enhance some of it. Profit? RDR's online mode sh*ts on GTA Online anyways, which is funny since it's pretty much the blueprint to it. 

A simple and elegant solution by and for the players. 

Nutduster
  • Nutduster

Big Mean Jerk

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:32 PM Edited by Nutduster, 14 July 2016 - 05:44 PM.

I've never stopped being surprised how many people prefer Red Dead's multiplayer, or GTA IV's, to GTA Online.  While Online has many issues (especially the shark card economy, though I would argue that is almost a necessary evil unless we're all willing to pay subscription fees to play), I think it's mostly a large improvement over both of its predecessors.  I played GTA IV multiplayer for a week or so and gave up.  I played Red Dead multi for a couple weeks, then retreated to single player and played that over again.  In both cases the central problem was clear to me: there was just nothing to do.  Both had a few fun game modes but free roam - which has always been the core of the Rockstar open world experience to me - was a barren wasteland with just a few activities (like hideouts), where players mostly resorted to killing each other over and over again.  GTA Online is even prone to that a lot, but there are tons more activities - especially now, after the addition of VIP and CEO content, and free roam challenges.  And when you DO just go killing each other, there are myriad ways to do it: Pegasus vehicles and phone abilities and muggers and mercs and all that.  Red Dead and GTA IV tended to be the same damn thing repeated a thousand times over: spawn, start shooting (or getting shot), wash, rinse, repeat.

I don't know how much a hypothetical Red Dead Online would resemble GTA Online.  But despite the problems I've had with GTA Online, I am absolutely hoping that they use it as a jumping-off point for the next Red Dead game.  If it's just the same stripped-down, empty multiplayer as before, I'll spend exactly as much time with it - which is very little.  Whatever else you think about GTA Online, over time it has come to be absolutely packed with things to do, both in and out of free roam.

--

Regarding the idea that there will never even be another Red Dead (or Rockstar-made) single player game, we are getting way ahead of ourselves.  WAY ahead.  Yes, GTA Online has been a cash cow and they have milked the hell out of it.  But let's not forget a few basic facts:

1. GTA V famously made $2 billion before GTA Online even launched.  Nothing to sneeze at, there.

2. Red Dead Redemption also made a bundle and was massively critically acclaimed, and was almost entirely a single player game; the multiplayer portion was an afterthought for most players I knew.  (A bunch of my friends played that game; few of them did anything with multiplayer other than mess around for an afternoon.)

3. Dan Houser was a main writer on Red Dead and the GTA series.  He considers himself more a writer than a developer, is the rumor about him, and The Benz' lawsuit explicitly says that the Housers contributed more on the writing side while he was the technology guy, and also the guy who wanted to (and did) design Online.  They just ousted The Benz and have regained sole control of the company.  I find it hard to imagine that they're going to give up the thing they seem to love best and steer entirely in a direction pioneered by a guy they just publicly fell out with.

I do think Red Dead Redemption 2/Red Dead 3 (whatever it ends up really being called) will have a robust multiplayer akin to GTA Online - maybe not quite as frequently updated because the player base would likely be smaller.  But I don't think for a second that Rockstar is ready to abandon single player.  If we're looking mainly at the lack of GTA V DLC as our evidence for that, we only have the GTA community to blame there; the GTA IV DLCs were well known to be financial under-performers, and I don't think Undead Nightmare was quite the windfall they wanted, either (even though it ruled).  So we will very probably get a Red Dead sequel in single player form, but as for a DLC for that game - maybe not.

EDIT: It is absolutely hilarious that this forum auto-replaces the name "Leslie Benz.ies" with The Benz.  :D

• Mister Pink, Chekoloco, HometownLC and 3 others like this

HeistsActivist
  • HeistsActivist

Heists 2.0 Supporter and Activist, Proud San Andrean

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:11 AM

Yes this 100%

Let the outlaws rob saloons and stuff

Brandon00151
  • Brandon00151

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:58 PM

Hopefully Rockstar doesn't low ball the mission payments just to sell shark cards. I mean this game will likely take place early 1900's or late 1800's and I just don't see how Rockstar could push the shark cards this time unless they are totaly scumbags and make the missions pay dirt and the prices for everything aren't unrealistically high for the time period.

If Rockstar was fair.

Contact Missions/Job would pay $100-$1500 (starting missions are $100 and you are offered higher paying jobs as you level up)

Horse Racing would offer $25-$500 depending on place finish and race length.

Death Matches would offer $100 foe losing team or $300 for winning team

We should be able to sell general collectables,supplies,materials, and animal pelts/meats to a general store for $5-$100

There should be other various ways of making money that vary.

Buying a horse should cost anywhere from 1000-5000 and you should be able to buy carts and wagons for your horse that you can store supplies and other players can ride in.

Guns should range from $200-5000 for most firearms with the conception of the Gatling Gun which would be $10k

Houses/Hangouts would cost $5k-$20k

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:04 PM

I want the online to be exactly the same as RDR expect with 30 player free roam instead of 16. The online in RDR imo was perfect, i have never been so good at anything in my life like i was on RDR multiplayer.

It'll be just another little Rock$tar money maker, to be honest. Brainless kids playing, more stupid useless content, Single player abandoned to death. Rock$tar lost his true focus a long time ago.

If Rockstar lost their focus we would be getting yearly installments of GTA. Rockstar are the best thing to happen to the gaming industry but yes i hope they focus on the single player more in this game and give us a long story with the same online as rdr expcept with 30 players instead of 16.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

Eh, depending on map size I'm sure they could do a lot better than 30, depends on how the multiplayer works in general though.

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:06 PM

Eh, depending on map size I'm sure they could do a lot better than 30, depends on how the multiplayer works in general though.

Also depends on how much the Xbone and PS4 can handle.

123-bob
  • 123-bob

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:25 PM

would be out of line saying that id expect alot of what GTA Online has now on release such as businesses?

-Illegal booze production

-Cattle rustling

-Forgery

-Gambling establishments

etc.... 

Or expect what GTA Online was like at release? 

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • Scotland
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:35 AM

reddeadonline.com

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but here's a thread for it.

Updated Date: 18-oct-2016
Creation Date: 18-oct-2016
Expiration Date: 18-oct-2017

It redirects here: http://www.rockstarg.../article/52676/

• Rodger Cheeto and TomilovSenya like this

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:39 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 18 October 2016 - 05:41 AM.

No, not real. Registered on namecheap.com, whoisguard used. Someone else made it.

However, reddead.online appears to really be registered by ttwo and held through MarkMonitor registrar, same as RockstarGames.com:

http://gtaforums.com...d/?p=1069151648

• Spider-Vice, Rodger Cheeto and Vixen Kat like this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Wanna play with me on PS4? Add me: rph_brasil

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:30 AM

Nothing is confirmed yet but if this is a standalone online game it will be one I'm staying the f*ck away from.

Same also applies if turns out like V.
  • Original Light, DIEXEL, jdv95 and 4 others like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

Nothing is confirmed yet but if this is a standalone online game it will be one I'm staying the f*ck away from.

"Nothing is confirmed yet but I'm already having a knee jerk reaction to nothing."

• Chekoloco, Fraizer, NoSignaL_ and 3 others like this

FRANKlEBOY
  • FRANKlEBOY

unredeemable

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

It's Rockstar dude, you have no real choice but to buy the game, wathever it turns out to be.

I mean you do like playing videogames right?

• TheHumanIsland likes this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:37 PM

It's Rockstar dude, you have no real choice but to buy the game, wathever it turns out to be.

I mean you do like playing videogames right?
I play other games...

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:45 PM

"Nothing is confirmed yet but I'm already having a knee jerk reaction to nothing."

I'm sorry, I thought this is a forum dedicated to this game and that all kinds of discussion and points of view surrounding it were welcome.

But it seems that being a sarcastic jerk is more welcome here, so I might just follow your steps then.
  • Journey_95, LeakyLine and FilipCRO like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

I'm sorry, I thought this is a forum dedicated to this game and that all kinds of discussion and points of view surrounding it were welcome.

But it seems that being a sarcastic jerk is more welcome here, so I might just follow your steps then.

Be my guest. 

BUT IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE LIKE THAT I'M GOING TO MAKE DRAMATIC, PATHETIC, IMPOTENT RAGE POSTS ABOUT IT. 

• CaptainMarvel likes this

Crashbandicoot2
  • Crashbandicoot2

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

If red dead 3's online takes more priority over the single player(if it isn't as superior as redemption's) than there is nothing we can do about that. We may be waiting years for single player DLC to arrive like GTA v. Redemptions single player didnt require any new guns or horses as DLC as it was perfect already. Plus undead nightmare satisfied those wanting more Marston.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users