Kojima Productions' Death Stranding

78 replies to this topic
-Captain-
  • -Captain-

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:20 PM

You are supposed to be impressed and say sh*t like "Wow looks amazing", because Hideo is working on it... Yeah I'm not impressed so far, and I'm far from sold.

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

That's a pretty weird and disgusting idea big guy

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:47 PM Edited by Richard Power Colt, 10 December 2017 - 10:50 PM.

If the game is still far from release anyway then I really don't mind not knowing what it's about. It's not like I need to decide right now whether if I wanna buy it or not.

edit: Also this kind of artsy weirdness actually appeals to me so there's that.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:28 PM Edited by feckyerlife, 11 December 2017 - 04:29 PM.

As someone who has only played one Hideo Kojima game--Metal Gear--and knows nothing about Kojima, here are my thoughts:

* The genre is obviously horror, correct?

According to Kojima, The game is supposed to be open world action adventure. but i  don't get that from any of the trailers. 

• Dryspace likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

this game still makes no sense. i dont even think Kojima knows what it is. 

It's a Kojima game AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS. 

Like, as in, even if it's sh*t, and people know it's sh*t and every review says it's sh*t, people will still buy it because it's a Kojima game people will buy literally any old sh*t if his name is attached. 

I tried playing through MGS V again recently. 1 hour in and I gave up, it's just f*cking mind-numbing getting through that intro mission. I HAVE CRAWLED ACROSS A ROOM, do I unlock an achievement? NO. But it felt like it should have, because it took FOREVER. 

This game looks dumb and it's just another case of the HK cult of personality. I'm sure he'll produce a competent, working game, but it's looking like it'll just be more "oh look, we did a weird thing COOL HUH?"

• feckyerlife likes this

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None
  • Lousy T-Shirt

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, that whole abstract art sh*t doesn't apply too well to actual gameplay, but leave it to Kojima to hamfist references and plot points from whatever bullsh*t he thinks is somewhat relevant.

Noale
  • Noale

Got baguettes?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:44 PM Edited by Noale, 11 December 2017 - 06:44 PM.

I can tell you right now that the following things are guaranteed to be in this game.

Directed by Hideo Kojima

Written by Hideo Kojima

Created by Hideo Kojima

Produced by Hideo Kojima

Starring Hideo Kojima

Featuring Hideo Kojima

Edited by Hideo Kojima

Norman Reedus by Hideo Kojima

Mads Mikkelsen by Hideo Kojima

Hideo Kojima by Hideo Kojima

Directed by Hideo Kojima by Hideo Kojima

• Daz, Tchuck, Darth Yokel and 1 other like this

fashion
  • fashion

Do not be sorry. Be better.

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Mars
  • Most Desperate For a Ban 2017

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:44 PM Edited by fashion, 11 December 2017 - 07:45 PM.

http://m.ign.com/art...meplay-and-lore

Well, that's interesting. The unique concept of death reminds me a tiny bit of Middle Earth: Shadow games, where every player death matters. That's what he's aiming at.. I think.

I'm still very curious about this game but I don't buy into the Kojima hype. I'll judge the game when I see it.

Either way, it's unique and that alone deserves some points.

Darth Yokel
  • Darth Yokel

A Sith now, aparently.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:49 PM Edited by The Yokel, 11 December 2017 - 07:49 PM.

He's a bit of a pretentious dick. I don't have any love for Konami, but I understand putting a leash on Kojima when developing MGS games. I don't think this guy should be given complete freedom over any project. He's a bit like George Lucas in that regard. A genius and a moron at the same time.

• Tchuck, JOSEPH X and Input like this

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:50 PM

I don't think a well-under-50% success rate is acceptable for genius qualification. Stars Wars was genius. Raiders of the Lost Ark was really, really good. That's about it.

Anyway, I get the feeling that Kojima did his best work when he was forced to design within very limited restrictions--hardware and probably financial as well.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2016
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:32 PM

Regarding the plot, the below podcast brought up some interesting points which seem to be quite likely what the game is about. A bit long but worth a listen. I honestly didn't care about the game, until I then listened to that and understood what is going on and it all clicked. It makes it seem super interesting. But it still then depends on if the game is going to be an exploring/action type game, or if its intended to be mostly horror like PT or a mix like Dead Space. Either way it seems to be thought up pretty well, but I do often get worried with Kojima, at least based off his last work, it often seems to be jazzed up batsh*t cutscenes taken out of context, but when you finally get the game you realize you have already seen all the game's major cutscenes in trailers. I like the weirdness and mystery of the game by it having legitimate scientific reasons for everything shown in the trailers. I am not a fan of weird sh*t just for the sake of it. As long as it can all be explained that is what makes it intriguing.

(TLDR: Fast aging, things want you alive, fetus countermeasures, alternate dimensions, corpses as camo, no game over states, likely third person, visual ques from your suit like dead space, f*cking nuts sh*t as normal)

• AndyGanteks, Jason, Ciaran and 1 other like this

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:13 PM

For my part, the last thing I want to do is have a game--or book or movie--explained before I start into it.

There is a risk involved of course, but I have found that when I do happen upon something truly great, the payoff from going in blind is more than worth it.

• Tchuck and Richard Power Colt like this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

That's a pretty weird and disgusting idea big guy

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:33 AM

For my part, the last thing I want to do is have a game--or book or movie--explained before I start into it.

There is a risk involved of course, but I have found that when I do happen upon something truly great, the payoff from going in blind is more than worth it.

For me the weirdness and mystery of it is kind of a selling point in itself so I'm actually quite excited for this game despite not knowing much about it. Once it's out I'll probably read a little bit of what people think about it so I'm not just gonna buy something completely awful, but for the most part I'd like to keep things as a surprise.
  • Daz likes this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Daily Globe
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

The story aspect of it is what interests me most. It's not the type of fiction that you typically see in big budget AAA games and that alone is sorta worthy of keeping an eye on it for me.

Noale
  • Noale

Got baguettes?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:38 PM

I just realized this game was PS4 only. Good news is now I don't have to consider buying it. Bad news is I have no choice on the matter.

tumblr_mmpa23XsWk1rtk4zpo1_500.gif

• Daz and Tchuck like this

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:13 AM

I had asked earlier whether this was likely to be exclusive to console, or ported to PC as The Phantom Pain was. I'm assuming that there will be no plans for a port, then.

Noale
  • Noale

Got baguettes?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:15 AM

Death Stranding end credits preview

ZigzagSpitefulAmmonite-max-14mb.gif

• Tchuck, RedDagger, Cosmic Gypsy and 1 other like this

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted A week ago

I came across this on YouTube. Apparently some people believe that everything relating to Death Stranding is an elaborate ruse to hide a new Metal Gear game?

I am afraid I am less than convinced.

But, in other news, the game will be at E3. Will we get actual gameplay footage? Or another intentionally vague, somewhat pretentious trailer? I have to believe that if we still don't see any gameplay footage, a lot of people are going to be worrying about just how good the game is going to be. Because at this point it's getting a bit ridiculous.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Gangsta

• Members

Posted A week ago

I'm very interested in it as well. After P.T., anything that Kojima creates with a horror/dark vibe. I am there. Good times to be on PS4 for sure.

Is this the one that never got beyond the free demo (the first-person haunted house thing?)

I was so disappointed that never became a game. It had perhaps the best looking graphics I've seen so far on the PS4, but more than that it had the best first-person walking physics I've ever played too.

I know it was all simplified by the fact it was a restricted and very small play area, with none of the stuff we normally associate with first-person games, but P.T as an open-world horror game could have been mind-blowing.

• Cosmic Gypsy and Ivan1997GTA like this

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 5 days ago

Yeah, give me P.T. over Death Stranding any year, month, day, hour, minute or second. 

• OurJud likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users