Photo

The reboot of a cancelled sequel to Prey is now called Prey

30 replies to this topic
RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:29 AM Edited by RogerWho, 14 June 2016 - 12:39 AM.

So, Prey 2 is dead, long live... Prey :blink:

This is the new height in sequel naming retardation. I was wondering if we're gonna get a 'Doom 2' next or another 'Tomb Raider' in another 10 years, but even I didn't anticipate this :lol:

1. Naming the second item in the series the same as the first one

2. Naming the Xth item in the series the same as the first one

3. Naming the 3rd item in the series 'One'

4. Naming the sequels Re... (Revolution, Retribution, Revelations, Resurrection, Reloaded, Revengeance, Returns)

I wonder what the third game will be called. Probably Prey again. Also, if this means the original Prey is supposed to be discarded as if it was never released, this means the game called 'Prey' was in development since 1995, for 21 years, beating Duke Nukem Forever :santa: Considering how both Prey and Prey have been restarted several times already, it's not that much of a stretch.

As a side note, I'm very much anticipating a biblical storm since the native American protag from Prey (who was already renamed in the first place btw - from Talon to Tommy) is now being replaced by a generic bearded white dude in Prey. Brace yourself.

• AndyGanteks, ClaudeSpeed1911, ARC8_1982 and 1 other like this

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:38 AM

To be fair, 'Yu' is a Chinese surname. So it will most likely be a generic Chinese man. It looks good and all, and enjoyed Prey so I'm interested to see how this plays out.

The name 'Prey' is weird. Has this been confirmed as a sequel or reboot?

Leat
  • Leat

o......O

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:11 AM

The name 'Prey' is weird. Has this been confirmed as a sequel or reboot?

I hate this new trend with game developers to name games with only their franchise names and them only: Hitman, Need For Speed, Doom, now Prey.

• AndyGanteks and DOOM! like this

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

🇯🇲 🇬🇭 🇯🇲

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Most Valuable Player 2014
    Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:41 AM

I wonder if the next GTA will be just Grand Theft Auto.

The trailer itself looks interesting, but i'm not that much interested right now.

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

What doth LIFE Life life?

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:35 PM Edited by Nutsack McQueen, 14 June 2016 - 12:37 PM.

Yeah I don't like how they keep naming games these days like this either. It's like the original Prey game didn't exist. I wonder if the idea is to make it sound more accessible to people who haven't played the previous games. Anyway I never played the original, but the teaser looked really interesting so I'm somewhat looking forward to this.

Switch
  • Switch

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Iraq

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:37 AM

I am sad that they didn't stick with the bounty hunter concept from when they announced Prey 2 in 2012 at E3... I would prefer that over a horror game, but it could still be great.

ARC8_1982
  • ARC8_1982

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:53 PM Edited by ARC8_1982, 15 June 2016 - 06:11 PM.

I just wish they'd leave the name alone for Gods Sake, especially game has nothing to do with old Prey, so it's not a reboot nor prequel either. The way i see it, they were interested in using brand name only. Quite frankly some months ago, there were rumours of scrapping Prey 2 even though it was in it's avanced stages, can You imagine ? If this rumour is true then it's truly revolting. Just because it wasn't up to their quality standard so they decided to cancel it, like the garbage they showed this week was high quality, what a joke.  2011 E3 Prey 2 trailer and 2012 Bounty Hunter trailer showed the opposite and i believe what i see. Prey 2 had all the potential this abomination lacks . Prey 2 was a well thought FPS from the beginning to the end. Interesting story - U.S. Marschall Killian Samuels on a passenger flight captured by aliens, still remember trailer, passengers frightened by the strange lights through the windows of a 747 plane, later in the game Samuels becomes becomes bounty hunter who's able to do the side missions, Tommy would be there too, probably as a cameo but still... As for this Prey revealed on E3 2016 it's not as great as Prey 2 would be. If Prey 2 wasn't that good (i don't believe this) then why this new Prey didn't exceeded expectations ?. This reboot is mediocre in every possible way and it's safe to say it's one of the biggest fails E3 had this year. I've read some forums and yt opinions, and many people had similiar experience it's not as cool concept as Bounty Hunter was, besides graphics of Prey 2 were quite all right, even today in comparison with Doom it would be on a par with.I simply understand many people get angry with this, new Prey received rather lukewarm welcome, that's good. This Prey looks like they didn't give a f*ck when they designed it, a job someone has to do it, but they hated it, get it ? Totally meh. I know this post is so emotional, and i apologise, but i prefer truth, and i always tells the truth, even if i lie LOL

p.s. Prey 2 could have bring fun into fps genre again, this new one wont do the trick and will disappear quickly  :(

This new prey didnt exceeded expectations because Prey 2 was that  good, seriously ! Cancellations happens rather rarely, but this one was painful and big loss to the gaming world and all of us who cared !

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

Looks pretty damn good:

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:34 AM Edited by Richard Power Colt, 02 December 2016 - 10:35 AM.

Okay this looks really dope. Definitely seems similar to Dishonored in the sense that you can explore freely and you can creatively mess around with different powers. I also love the aesthetic and I hope the station is filled with interesting lore too.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

Grae
  • Grae

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:43 AM

I'd heard about Arkane and Chris Avellone's involvement, but just the other day I saw that this is aiming to be a sort of spiritual successor to System Shock 2 (old screenshots I took), one of the greatest games I've ever played. Avellone is a big SS2 fan.

What I noted in the 8-minute demo above:

• Space station and labs - SS2 is set on two space ships with lab sections (SS1 has a station).
  • Neuromods = SS2's cybermodules/psionics and BS' plasmids/vigors.
  • Learning alien abilities - There's a research mechanic in SS2 for alien weapons & upgrades. I don't know about that mimic ability... well, can it be properly used as in Dishonored?
  • Fabricator - I guess it's equivalent to SS2's Value-Rep(licator) and BS' Circus of Values etc. Can it be hacked? I don't like SS2's hacking minigame (maybe it was okay back then), BS' are better in a way, and recent Deus Ex's might be best.
  • "Weapons are rare" - I hope so. Or for ammo, as I'd want basic item availability to be around the level of SS2, not BS where I always had plenty of hypos etc. On SS2's 'Impossible' difficulty setting, I was much closer to scraping by, as it should be.
  • Zero gravity - SS2 has gravshafts that float you up/down levels; they wanted to do more (spoilers) but tech wasn't up to it then. Now it is, and this looks like it could be fun, and enemies could pop out there? An epic battle in the airlock?
  • Aliens: That big alien at the end is a far scarier version of the Rumbler. Generally I wonder about those aliens' similarities to The Many (spoilers). Are the devs also inspired by a certain iconic character? "...L-l-ll-look a-at you-u, h-hacker-r..."

I'm not going to binge on info, tho I'm curious about story, lore and characters. BTW, SS2 has audio logs, better than any BS', and this'll have them too. And while I like SS2's music tracks, a lot of the time it's minimal or ambient and feels like the environment is breathing (which it kinda is, regarding the antagonists), so I'm more interested in that. Those videos have some decent vibes in general.

PS: In that screenshot post, ignore the thumbs-down at the bottom; that was more about them being relatively overrated, as they are good in ways, yet overall several notches below SS2, IMO. It's mainly the latter's survival-horror-cyberpunk atmosphere, which some people consider the best ever and it definitely ranks pretty high for me. A tall order, so we'll see...

• Richard Power Colt likes this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

Release date announced:

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:49 PM Edited by Leftist Bastard, 30 January 2017 - 01:52 PM.

I love Arkane studios, I think they're immensely talented and the Dishonored series is one of my favorites from last gen; and despite this game looking good I can't help but feel disappointed because we won't get the original vision of Prey 2.

Here is a good video that discusses publisher meddling and the way it all went down:

Grae
  • Grae

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:03 AM

^ Damn, I had no idea ..

I played the first Prey once but don't remember enough to speak on it, and hadn't heard about the sequel. As said, the SS2 bit really piqued my interest here, as I've been wanting a remake or more of that formula (which none of the BioShocks satisfied), so this new one was music to my ears. But I watched that video and agree that we should be having both games separately, as it does seem like they originally had something good there; it's a shame, and I hope it still somehow happens for them eventually.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

^ Damn, I had no idea ..

I played the first Prey once but don't remember enough to speak on it, and hadn't heard about the sequel. As said, the SS2 bit really piqued my interest here, as I've been wanting a remake or more of that formula (which none of the BioShocks satisfied), so this new one was music to my ears. But I watched that video and agree that we should be having both games separately, as it does seem like they originally had something good there; it's a shame, and I hope it still somehow happens for them eventually.

It's pretty insane how something like it hasn't been made yet. It looked really interesting and innovative in several ways and there is obviously heavy demand for a space bounty hunter kind of game with the hype for the now cancelled Star Wars 1313 and this being proof of that.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

It's funny but I've never been too hyped about the original Prey 2, apart from it being a space game. As I don't really think being a bounty hunter is that great of a setup for a game, unless there are some moral implications involved.

I mean, in Hitman games it's pretty obvious you're a murderer, but it's always played down immensely (often with comedy). And Boba Fett is literally a villain. Not that I mind playing as either, it's just a question of what the game will do with the setup.

Also, I suppose a game about bounty hunting implies a 'checklist' sort of plot, i.e. the game consisting of several mini-stories and only a lose/flimsy over-arching story. I suppose that's a reason why I don't enjoy the Hitman games that much as I prefer a more narrative-driven experience.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

It's funny but I've never been too hyped about the original Prey 2, apart from it being a space game. As I don't really think being a bounty hunter is that great of a setup for a game, unless there are some moral implications involved.

I mean, in Hitman games it's pretty obvious you're a murderer, but it's always played down immensely (often with comedy). And Boba Fett is literally a villain. Not that I mind playing as either, it's just a question of what the game will do with the setup.

Also, I suppose a game about bounty hunting implies a 'checklist' sort of plot, i.e. the game consisting of several mini-stories and only a lose/flimsy over-arching story. I suppose that's a reason why I don't enjoy the Hitman games that much as I prefer a more narrative-driven experience.

Hitman doesn't have much of a story in the first place though. Prey 2 looked to be more narratively driven and the game did have some interesting moral implications with just how amoral the world around you was.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:58 PM Edited by RogerWho, 31 January 2017 - 07:11 PM.

Well we'll never really know how it would turn out. From my end, Prey was really cool but by far not as smart as HH thought it is, and I had the same vibe from Prey 2 as well (amnesiac protag? really?).

At the same time, I'd very much welcome an open world sci-fi (as in aliens, the future and stuff) game. That's something I'm still waiting for and somehow nobody seems to bite. Have Prey 2 been successful, it might have convinced other studios to attempt something similar.

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

You can float around in space as a banana in this game apparently:

They've actually been showing quite a lot of gameplay footage of this game, but I've tried to avoid some of it because I don't wanna get spoiled.

Grae
  • Grae

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:41 PM Edited by Grae, 22 April 2017 - 09:42 PM.

Old news, but I read the oxygen and thrust meters were cut. I don't get how they wouldn't prioritise that, as there should be a great unease achieved from those systems when spacewalking, along with other design. If moronic playtesters thought the systems were annoying regardless of balance, tie it to difficulty settings. It reminds me...

SS2's prologue has 3 career (class) choices affecting starting skills/powers (and some military-style narration, which isn't as good as Starship Troopers or R. Lee Ermey, from one of the devs apparently). I think SS2's RPG mechanics are generally good, despite mistakes like starting too poor at basic weapons and the unreasonable weapon degradation rate; the latter being something I would otherwise want, and it doesn't bother me as it is with my usual slow, stealthy-ish play style. So such stuff will probably be absent or somewhat simplified here, yet it wouldn't be a complete step down from SS2 as said, and generally what I've seen seems deeper than BS'.

I remember an interview years ago where Avellone wished SS2 had proper storyline C&C. Altho Dishonored's (1) is shallow compared to certain RPGs, it's better than what SS2 and any BS have, IIRC. So can't complain with that level here, but ideally they'll take it further. I'm talking about, for example: being able to save an NPC, tell them to f*ck off or/and blow them out an airlock, and have different consequences of quest branches, rewards, dialogue and endings. Dishonored's story and characters were mostly meh, and I haven't played the sequel yet but heard it's similar; Avellone is a great writer, however.

Recently watched footage that was ruined by ADHD players, and yeah, trying not to watch too much anyway. Mainly hope my play style is viable (without the mimic ability, or kept minimal/sensible), Avellone gets to fulfill that wish here, and some chunks of the game come together to rival SS2's atmosphere. Also want a lot of menu options, like disabling the black gradient for crouching and the musical cues when picking up key items or completing objectives, and have difficulty settings make resource management be a thing.

Assuming it's decent, I'll still wait for a good price drop in a Steam sale as usual.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

Just a heads up, you can play a demo of the first hour starting today.

• FullMetal likes this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:39 PM Edited by Richard Power Colt, 29 April 2017 - 01:39 PM.

If only that demo was on PC.. really hope this is not gonna run as bad as Dishonored 2 did on launch.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:59 PM Edited by Mr. Scratch, 29 April 2017 - 01:59 PM.

No idea, that ran on a modified version of the id tech engine, Prey uses Cryengine.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

I was waiting for the Prey since I heard it's going to be modern rendition of System Shock, which along with its second part are my favourite games of all times. I was waiting for the Prey until I've seen and played the demo version.

It seems unfortunately that fact that title taken from the totally different game series, which created somewhat of a confusion amongst the fans of the original release, carried some of hints how the game will look like. Everything I've seen so far was already done by some other studio in basically every action RPG game that was released in the last 25 years.

Character waking up on a Space Station (done), where someone was experimenting with something nasty (done), which left the station abandoned (done) and its staff to be either killed, running or taken over by the enemies (done). Soon after waking up our protagonist is contacted by some mysterious stranger (done), who uses a nickname, (done) telling us how to survive in this new situation (done). Our first weapon is wrench (done) and we can upgrade our character (done) by collecting some kind of upgrades (done), which can be assigned to three different skill trees (done so many f*cking times). And of course we can learn the true story, which led to our current situation by listening to audio logs scattered around (done). Of course the station has quasi art deco design (done) to look cool and totally not resemble other games, which you may think of while reading this.

I am not saying that Prey is automatically a crap that shouldn't be even made, but the whole time I was playing that demo I had a serious case of deja vu, because I've seen every part of the gameplay somewhere else. The only thing at least a bit original are the mimics, which absolutely don't resemble headcrabs from Half LIfe 2,  but the number of them thrown in our way simply kills all the atmosphere. In System Shocks or Bioshock (let's not count Infinite here for the sake of argument) the fights with the enemies were rather rare, but every battle was dangerous and engaging. In the Prey it doesn't matter if mimic can be disguised for a mug, if there are other three attacking you at the moment. In aforementioned games we were fighting with uncertainty of the situation as we weren't sure what we will encounter in the next room, but in the Prey we're swinging the wrench left and right fending off the hordes of the aliens. It seriously looks like the Bioshock Infinite at the moment, with its never ending waves of cannon fodder to dispose of.

After playing the first Dishonored I really started to like Arkane Studios seeing that despite the fact they were quite new to the market, they had a lot of potential and many original ideas. I hope the Prey is just misstep in their career and they will be able to make many great games for the years to come.

Grae
  • Grae

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

Tycek, you know about the term "immersive sim", right? True or not, that's what Arkane have been calling this, in relation to SS2 mainly. That, and having decently enjoyed Dishonored, and respect for Avellone, had me a bit hyped.

The video Leftist Bastard posted dampened my interest, as I think the original Prey 2 should be realised and Arkane's game renamed. Part of what you said has killed my interest more. I disagree with some of those "(done)" bits, like: "we can upgrade our character" as should be expected, "by collecting some kind of upgrades" which is a sensible way to handle it as many games do. Not trying to be combative, as it is generally disappointing as you described. I wanted them to come up with enough of their own ideas and improve existing ones. For example, instead of waking up alone again etc., put us there before things go wrong, and not just that but give us choices about it (unlike Half-Life) with deep consequences. Or the station's zero-g exploration, but the oxygen system was cut and now I'm skeptical of there being nice ideas or scenarios involving zero g.

Can't play the demo as I'm on PC. The Infinite comparison really kills it, as that's the worst BioShock IMO. It was ridiculous how many enemies I - well, it's already been said. And the awful, pretentious ending, and Comstock doesn't hold a candle to Ryan or SHODAN. As mentioned before, I've got mixed thoughts about how the story/characters will turn out here.

So, apparently it lacks innovation while also failing to capture the spirit of SS... I was always planning to hear what SS2 fans had to say, and if they say the rest of the game is similar, well, sh*t...

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

I was waiting for the Prey since I heard it's going to be modern rendition of System Shock, which along with its second part are my favourite games of all times. I was waiting for the Prey until I've seen and played the demo version.

It seems unfortunately that fact that title taken from the totally different game series, which created somewhat of a confusion amongst the fans of the original release, carried some of hints how the game will look like. Everything I've seen so far was already done by some other studio in basically every action RPG game that was released in the last 25 years.

Character waking up on a Space Station (done), where someone was experimenting with something nasty (done), which left the station abandoned (done) and its staff to be either killed, running or taken over by the enemies (done). Soon after waking up our protagonist is contacted by some mysterious stranger (done), who uses a nickname, (done) telling us how to survive in this new situation (done). Our first weapon is wrench (done) and we can upgrade our character (done) by collecting some kind of upgrades (done), which can be assigned to three different skill trees (done so many f*cking times). And of course we can learn the true story, which led to our current situation by listening to audio logs scattered around (done). Of course the station has quasi art deco design (done) to look cool and totally not resemble other games, which you may think of while reading this.

I am not saying that Prey is automatically a crap that shouldn't be even made, but the whole time I was playing that demo I had a serious case of deja vu, because I've seen every part of the gameplay somewhere else. The only thing at least a bit original are the mimics, which absolutely don't resemble headcrabs from Half LIfe 2,  but the number of them thrown in our way simply kills all the atmosphere. In System Shocks or Bioshock (let's not count Infinite here for the sake of argument) the fights with the enemies were rather rare, but every battle was dangerous and engaging. In the Prey it doesn't matter if mimic can be disguised for a mug, if there are other three attacking you at the moment. In aforementioned games we were fighting with uncertainty of the situation as we weren't sure what we will encounter in the next room, but in the Prey we're swinging the wrench left and right fending off the hordes of the aliens. It seriously looks like the Bioshock Infinite at the moment, with its never ending waves of cannon fodder to dispose of.

After playing the first Dishonored I really started to like Arkane Studios seeing that despite the fact they were quite new to the market, they had a lot of potential and many original ideas. I hope the Prey is just misstep in their career and they will be able to make many great games for the years to come.

Did you not see the ability to float around in space as a banana? (Not done) I'm sold :D

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

Tycek, you know about the term "immersive sim", right? True or not, that's what Arkane have been calling this, in relation to SS2 mainly. That, and having decently enjoyed Dishonored, and respect for Avellone, had me a bit hyped.

The video Leftist Bastard posted dampened my interest, as I think the original Prey 2 should be realised and Arkane's game renamed. Part of what you said has killed my interest more. I disagree with some of those "(done)" bits, like: "we can upgrade our character" as should be expected, "by collecting some kind of upgrades" which is a sensible way to handle it as many games do. Not trying to be combative, as it is generally disappointing as you described. I wanted them to come up with enough of their own ideas and improve existing ones. For example, instead of waking up alone again etc., put us there before things go wrong, and not just that but give us choices about it (unlike Half-Life) with deep consequences. Or the station's zero-g exploration, but the oxygen system was cut and now I'm skeptical of there being nice ideas or scenarios involving zero g.

Can't play the demo as I'm on PC. The Infinite comparison really kills it, as that's the worst BioShock IMO. It was ridiculous how many enemies I - well, it's already been said. And the awful, pretentious ending, and Comstock doesn't hold a candle to Ryan or SHODAN. As mentioned before, I've got mixed thoughts about how the story/characters will turn out here.

So, apparently it lacks innovation while also failing to capture the spirit of SS... I was always planning to hear what SS2 fans had to say, and if they say the rest of the game is similar, well, sh*t...

Having played the demo, honestly I don't get the comparison to Infinite at all. There's actually quite a lot of downtime from combat once you get to the lobby and it didn't feel like the kind of shooting gallery that Infinite was. At most there was like 4 mimics attacking you at once, but it didn't happen all that often. You can also kinda plan things ahead by placing a turret for example into the entrance of a room if you expect mimics to be hiding there and it is much wiser to do so rather than just rushing in and getting ambushed. Stealth is also possible at least against the bigger enemies who aren't hiding and there are environmental hazards you can use to your advantage as well. Overall it seems pretty methodical and I don't think the demo even scratches the surface of what you can do in the game.

As for the whole "all of this has been done before" thing, games and entertainment in general copy each other all the time. To me the game really seems like a good combination of many games that I've enjoyed in the past so I don't see a problem there.

Also early Steam reviews are saying that the PC port is actually good so I can't wait to play this.

Grae
  • Grae

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

^ Thanks, dude.

Also, with the 3 skill trees, the skills themselves and layout relating to other design are what really matter, of course. And for the audio logs, altho they've been done a lot, being tied to C&C could spice them up, i.e. certain choices (possibly saving/killing a key NPC, or maybe the order of areas we tackle) could cause some logs found later/elsewhere to be altered or lead to different rewards etc.

It's funny because I'm having to read between the lines and use pinches of salt more than normal. I mean it's obvious what official reviews are like in general, and they focus on Dishonored/BioShock comparisons here; and Steam user reviews are often garbage anyway, but I found some interesting bits. Yeah, PC optimisation seems fine. Tho it may not be the ideal game I wanted (at least partly due to those development/publisher problems), I've got it wishlisted for down the line maybe.

More likely if post-release support freely adds the good cut content and other stuff. So hopefully it sells enough to warrant that, and they care enough. Not saying it lacks content overall, just wanting to see such support anyway. I'm aware of my hypocrisy in not buying it now to increase said likeliness. Apart from small indie games, and Witcher 3, it's been several years since I paid near full price for a game, and my current excuse is that I'm saving for almost a complete PC upgrade.

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:07 PM Edited by Richard Power Colt, 07 May 2017 - 10:23 PM.

Well the audio logs and general written stuff you find is useful for finding passwords and hints for additional objectives and such so it does also tie into gameplay. I got to play this for about 9 hours on saturday and I'm gonna be away from home for the week so I can't play this more right now which frankly upsets me a little since so far I really really enjoyed it. I had never heard of the term immersive sim before, but I can probably call it my favorite genre now since I really love games with this kind of depth to them. I didn't get to unlock any of the alien powers yet, but all the gadgets and upgrades to "human abilities"(hacking, strength, repair etc.) already give you a lot of options to approach situations. I also love the open map design and how many secrets, useful loot and interesting lore you can find by exploring.

Going back to the whole thing about getting swarmed by enemies, I didn't actually realize this while playing the demo, but if you move while crouching without making noise around an area with mimics then they are much less likely to just pop out of hiding and swarm you. On harder difficulties you definitely wanna avoid this from happening, because they can quickly deal a lot of damage to you. If you move around slowly you can actually guess which object they are disguised as and get a powerful "sneak attack" on them with the wrench before they turn into their real form. If you guess wrong though then they'll likely pop out, because of the noise of hitting an object and attack you or go hide in another place. I think they are pretty fun enemies and kind of a nice evolution over the headcrabs in Half-Life. The phantoms are a bit less interesting in terms of their abilities though I do find it entertaining how you can actually make them ragdoll to the ground by throwing heavy objects at them or something and then smacking them with the wrench which is a good strategy if you don't have a lot of ammo.

I do also like the story so far even if it does follow some tropes, I think it's well-written enough to keep you invested(and of course it could still take more interesting and unique twists later on). Overall this really seems like a strong GOTY contender for me and honestly I feel like it deserves more attention than it's getting.

Edit: Oh and as for the post-release stuff, definitely would love to see them add some custom difficulty settings like in DH2 so I could really tailor the experience to be how I want. Also the space mechanics from what I could tell so far did seem a bit shallow, but I haven't played much of it yet so I can't say for sure.

Grae
  • Grae

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:22 AM Edited by Grae, 10 May 2017 - 02:56 AM.

I appreciate the info.

Altho theirs wasn't the first such game, I believe the devs of the OG Deus Ex came up with the term immersive sim - it isn't widely used and is a bit pretentious. Many games have the philosophy to various degrees, just not consistently. It's a great base for an RPG, tho not all them are RPGs (e.g. Thief 1-3...the fourth Thief is garbage). Dishonored has it, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as DX and SS2, which are sort of ARPGs. Fallout: New Vegas also has it, and is a full-blown RPG. Infinite doesn't qualify as the pacing etc. is off and it's too much of a shooter (as is Fallout 4). Unsure if BS 1 & 2 qualify, maybe below Thief and Dishonored's levels. I'm thinking Prey is around Dishonored's or between it and DX/SS2.

As for the writing here, I know I've mentioned Avellone several times and that's because he worked on a few of my top 10 (including one that arguably has the greatest story/writing of all games). I found an article on his Prey involvement. Tho it doesn't explicitly say it, he probably had a secondary role on this. PS:T wore him out, and since then he's avoided lead writer/designer roles. He's also helping with SS3, the SS1 remake, and some others, so might be stretched thin... Based on Dishonored 1, Arkane aren't awful at writing but it's not their strong suit or they simply like to focus resources elsewhere. Anyway, last time I'll mention Avellone in here, I swear.

..I've written a lot about a game I haven't played and won't for a while at least :ph34r:

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

f*ck this song is so good. I hate how the soundtrack only has a version with an inferior male singer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users