Is getting the PS4 Version worth it?

26 replies to this topic
ToyGT_one
  • ToyGT_one

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:47 PM

Months ago, i decided to buy a used PS2 copy of Vice City from a "popular" ebay seller. Problem was the loading bar stops right at the end and just stays there so i wasn't able to play it. Sadly i couldn't contact that person. (or it could be the PS2 fault)

Anyways, i saw that the GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas (Both Stand alone and Trilogy) are being %40 discounted on the Playstation Store and since my PS2 itself isn't really that healthy (problems with reading some discs, controller is broken..etc), i've been thinking about getting all of them or at least Vice City for the PS4. Before you tell me that i could just play the PC version, for reasons i fell more nostalgic whatever i play the PS2 version over Xbox or PC.

So should i buy it? and also what's the difference? like how many songs were removed? and so on. Thanks.

• DoctorMike likes this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:53 PM

http://gtaforums.com...fighter-glitch/

With the latest bugs in the PS4 Version, it's not worth it.  Tommy auto aims at Telephone Poles now...

• Tomasak, ToyGT_one and eCola like this

ToyGT_one
  • ToyGT_one

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

With the latest bugs in the PS4 Version, it's not worth it.  Tommy auto aims at Telephone Poles now...

Aiming at Telephone Poles? How they even managed to screw that up? :blink:  I thought this was just an emulation of the latest PS2 version, the one with friendly Cuban & Haitian (I wish if it was the original version with Tear Gas and that Flash FM tho).

Why they even needed to update the game anyways?

• SmokesWithCigs likes this

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, I got VC on PS2 and iOS and my PS2 Version is V1.  Bought it on Release Date back in 2002 and it's still brand new looking (probably due to the fact I got some OCD with keeping my things perfect).  I don't think any other Version is at good as the Original First Press of the PS2 Version...

No idea.  I don't know why they would need to update it.  I don't have a PS4 (yet) and when I got one, I was thinking of getting III, VC, and SA, but I don't see why I should when there is so many bugs with the new Versions and what not.  Plus, like VC and getting it on release date, I have III and SA the same way, V1 from 2001 and 2004.  I don't really "need" any PS4 Versions, but if you have no other way of playing, I'd say go for it.  However, with that latest Patch for VC, that's terrible...

• Journey_95, ToyGT_one and eCola like this

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

Chocolate

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Hong-Kong
  • Major Contribution Award [Mods]
    Helpfulness Awards [Mods]

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:36 AM Edited by spaceeinstein, 06 June 2016 - 04:44 AM.

Personally I prefer the original PS2 version, a modded PC version that includes fixes to primary bugs, and maybe the original Xbox version. I feel like any other versions will not give you a proper Vice City experience. I don't see how playing it on a modern PlayStation is nostalgic though. The screen is all stretched and content are modified or removed from the original version.

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

THUG LIFE TILL I DIE -Legendary 2pac

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:45 AM Edited by GTA_The_Series, 06 June 2016 - 05:47 AM.

Aiming at Telephone Poles? How they even managed to screw that up? :blink:  I thought this was just an emulation of the latest PS2 version, the one with friendly Cuban & Haitian (I wish if it was the original version with Tear Gas and that Flash FM tho).

Why they even needed to update the game anyways?
R* just felt the game needed a fresh update i guess? But of course that update ruined it for players. I've seen videos on youtube about this and it's hilarious. Tommy will aim at the nearest poll he's around in. The whole gameplay would be crushed by this awful bug.

About the songs i'm not sure if they removed any at all. The good thing is if you wanted to purchase III,and SA then those games stayed the same

ToyGT_one
  • ToyGT_one

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

Personally I prefer the original PS2 version, a modded PC version that includes fixes to primary bugs, and maybe the original Xbox version. I feel like any other versions will not give you a proper Vice City experience. I don't see how playing it on a modern PlayStation is nostalgic though. The screen is all stretched and content are modified or removed from the original version.

Worth buying the steam version? is it mod-able?

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:22 AM Edited by MetalMilitia89, 06 June 2016 - 10:43 AM.

As for SA and Steam, it's not.  I heard only 1.00 or 1.01 or something for PC and SA you can mod it.  Later Versions can't.  But you can downgrade.  Now the Topic has turned to territory I am not familiar with.  I can't help out with Mods as I don't own any PC Versions, nor do I want them.  Since I am not into Mods, I don't see any reason to have PC Versions.  Everyone should know what I am into these days for GTA and PS2 is my go-to Platform for the 3D Era GTA's and PS2 can't be modded.  I wouldn't even soft mod my PS2, either...

DoctorMike
  • DoctorMike

I hope Everyone's having a great Day/Night

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:55 AM

Months ago, i decided to buy a used PS2 copy of Vice City from a "popular" ebay seller. Problem was the loading bar stops right at the end and just stays there so i wasn't able to play it. Sadly i couldn't contact that person. (or it could be the PS2 fault)

Anyways, i saw that the GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas (Both Stand alone and Trilogy) are being %40 discounted on the Playstation Store and since my PS2 itself isn't really that healthy (problems with reading some discs, controller is broken..etc), i've been thinking about getting all of them or at least Vice City for the PS4. Before you tell me that i could just play the PC version, for reasons i fell more nostalgic whatever i play the PS2 version over Xbox or PC.

So should i buy it? and also what's the difference? like how many songs were removed? and so on. Thanks.

no, it's just a waste of money, if you wanna play it, just play it on PS2 cuz this is just ported from PS2. If it was the remastered version then that's something but mobile version is the remastered version and you can play ot everywhere ;)
Don't waste your money on a PS2 Ported game, you can buy better newer games, and you can buy and play GTA V online instead if you don't have it

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:03 PM Edited by MetalMilitia89, 06 June 2016 - 12:06 PM.

That's just it, though.  Some people don't have any interest in GTA V and especially Online.  If they want the Classic Games on their current new Platform (PS4) they will get them.  It's their choice.  However, like I previously said, I wouldn't bother and just get them on PS2.  Most people probably don't have a PS2, though.  I have a Backward Compatible PS3....But ALSO a PS2 Slim I bought brand new last year, about 13-14 months now as well as a handful of Memory Cards so I can back up all my work.  I surely don't want to lose any of my Saves for III, VC, SA, LCS, and VCS...

I don't even know if you can make backups using a USB Drive on PS4, but I can do it on my PS3.  I also have a Memory Card Adapter which I can insert my Memory Card (PS2) into it and hook it up to my BC PS3.  My BC PS3 can do the conversion from the BC PS3's File Format (.psv) to the PS2 format and put it right onto my Memory Card.

They just don't make them like they used to.  PS2 and BC PS3's are the best Consoles to exist and we all know Rockstar favors Sony Playstation and releases practically everything to Playstation over other Platforms like PC, Xbox, etc...

I have the Mobile Version, too, simply for a change of pace with Controls since it's more challenging and I also like being able to take it anywhere I want and when I am bored, I can have a short gaming session at any time...

I'd buy a PS4 if I could insert my PS2 Physical Discs into the PS4 but it's not backward compatible.  Instead, they want you to buy Digital Versions.  BC PS3 can play all my Physical Discs in the 3D Era...Even 2D Era with GTA I and GTA II.  My BC PS3 does it all...I, II, III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLaD, TBoGT, and V.  Only can't play Advance and Chinatown Wars...But I got CW for iOS, anyways...

Videogames888
  • Videogames888

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:20 PM Edited by Videogames888, 06 June 2016 - 01:52 PM.

If your wondering about songs, here are the ones that were removed from digital versions, the PS4 edition , and even from the trilogy box set at Walmart.

-Michael Jackson "Billie Jean" (At the beginning of the game, the admiral will instead play Self Control.)

-Michael Jackson "Wanna Be Starting Something"

-Bark at the Moon-Ozzy Osbourne

-Katie Bush "Wow"

-"Rock It"

-"Looking for the perfect Beat"

-Running With The Night (PS2 V1 exclusive)

-A few songs from Espantoso

The removed songs from San Andreas are...

-Critical Beatdown

-2pac-I don't give a F*ck

-Hood took me under

- N.W.A-Express Yourself

-Yum Yum

-Running Away

-You dropped a bomb on me

-Joe Cocker-Woman to Woman (Great Song, a shame that they removed it)

-Tom Petty-Running down a Dream (Best song on the soundtrack, and they remove it, good job Rockstar)

-Don't Let it Go to your Head

-Ring My Bell

-Killing in the name

-Charles Wright-Express Yourself

-Rock Creek Park

-Funky President

-Soul Power '74

-The Payback

-Grunt

GTA 3's soundtrack is fully intact thankfully.

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:19 PM

If your wondering about songs, here are the ones that were removed from digital versions, the PS4 edition , and even from the trilogy box set at Walmart.

-Michael Jackson "Billie Jean" (At the beginning of the game, the admiral will instead play Self Control.)

-Katie Bush "Wow"

-"Rock It"

The removed songs from San Andreas are...

-Critical Beatdown

-2pac-I don't give a F*ck

-Hood took me under

- N.W.A-Express Yourself

-Yum Yum

-Running Away

-You dropped a bomb on me

-Joe Cocker-Woman to Woman (Great Song, a shame that they removed it)

-Tom Petty-Running down a Dream (Best song on the soundtrack, and they remove it, good job Rockstar)

-Don't Let it Go to your Head

-Ring My Bell

-Killing in the name

-Charles Wright-Express Yourself

-Rock Creek Park

-Funky President

-Soul Power '74

-The Payback

-Grunt

Yeah but III's soundtracks aren't as good VC's or SA's :p It's a shame the damn tracks expired.
  • Videogames888 and Simply_Wasted like this

ToyGT_one
  • ToyGT_one

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:14 PM Edited by ToyGT_one, 06 June 2016 - 04:18 PM.

Okay i hope i didn't a dumb job but i just went and bought GTA Vice city on PC instead (not directly from steam, bought a code to active it on steam). A thing i noticed is this...

-Katie Bush "Wow"

-"Rock It"

I actually heard the Billie Jean playing when i got in the car at the beginning of the game and also some other songs later.

Ether way thanks for the help. Also since i have a copy of the original PS2 version (The one with Running With The Night), i might as well restore them back. Lower quality yes but better than being removed.

• Videogames888 likes this

Melancholia
  • Melancholia

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:34 AM

I own the PS4 version of Vice City. I quite like it. The upgraded graphics are very nice, and the trophies are an added incentive to play. It's not the same as playing an original ps2 copy, but I think it's close enough. It's similar to the Haitian friendly version though, so a few lines are cut, but nothing too major. And the deleted songs doesn't bother me. I guess I heard them enough on the original PS2 version.

Also about the aiming at light poles, I just tried replicating it, but Tommy never aimed at a light pole. He would aim at pedestrians perfectly, but never a light pole. So Idk if that video is old or what, but it definitely wasn't glitching like that on my copy.

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

Is yours up to date, 1.01 or whatever Patch it is?  It's not on the first release of PS4.  It's when you update.  Fools give an update, yet breaks the game.

Then there is goof balls who think I am crazy for not updating my GTA V from 1.00 to 1.99 or whatever 100 Patches they are up to now...Patches break the game.  I never got a "Patch" until I bought GTA V on PS3 and ever since 2013, I saw what "Patches" do to games.  Fast forward to 2016.  Never update.  Everything on 1.00.  Always.

Bender ุ
  • Bender ุ

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:04 PM

Its silly how i heard MJ Song still in one mission its uncut from cutscene, rockstar too lazy

Melancholia
  • Melancholia

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

Is yours up to date, 1.01 or whatever Patch it is?  It's not on the first release of PS4.  It's when you update.  Fools give an update, yet breaks the game.

Yes, fully updated. I even tried going to the same spot to replicate the video, but it wouldn't aim at the light poles.

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:28 PM Edited by GTA_The_Series, 07 June 2016 - 06:29 PM.

Yes, fully updated. I even tried going to the same spot to replicate the video, but it wouldn't aim at the light poles.
Strange this isn't happening? Must of been old videos then. I can't say nothing about the Ps4 version because i still play the original on the Ps2 :p

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:59 PM

I was lucky enough to buy a Ps2 version of it on Ebay. The disc arrived with barely a scratch on it. There was two tiny scratch marks but nothing major. It works perfectly and has those original songs on it. You have to be careful with what you buy. Look for the condition it's in, you want to see 'Near New' not 'used condition'. That means it's gonna have scratch marks all over it. Also have a look at the ones that are on auction for a good price.

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:07 AM

I bought LCS and VCS for PS2 as late as April 2014 and I bought them from Amazon.  BRAND NEW.  I even bought a new PS2 Slim 13 to 15 months ago from Amazon and that, too, was BRAND NEW.  When it comes to GTA Gaming, I need it all new, pristine, and then I can take care of it myself, where there won't be such thing as even one scratch since I am OCD with the things I own...

However, it's great it works I suppose! :D :p

• AuSsIeThUnDeR36 likes this

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:21 PM

I bought LCS and VCS for PS2 as late as April 2014 and I bought them from Amazon.  BRAND NEW.  I even bought a new PS2 Slim 13 to 15 months ago from Amazon and that, too, was BRAND NEW.  When it comes to GTA Gaming, I need it all new, pristine, and then I can take care of it myself, where there won't be such thing as even one scratch since I am OCD with the things I own...

However, it's great it works I suppose! :D :p

Same, I like to take care of my gear. I still have my Ps2 slim from 2009 and every year I open it up and clean everything. I have SA, LCS and my IV collection in perfect scratch free condition. GTA V Collectors Edition sitting in it's box on the shelf, gathering dust lol.
  • MorsPrincipiumEst likes this

GamesBoy316
  • GamesBoy316

Grove Street

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:04 PM

Tommy aiming at a telephone pole? Now that's a new level of glitches lol  :lol:

Rockstar could release another patch, but what if that patch breaks other things? If you have a PS2, you don't have to worry about that, just gotta worry about the disc.

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:12 PM

Exactly.  This is the whole reason I prefer Console.  Vice City released in 2002.  The same damn thing that was released on release date back in 2002 is the same damn thing I got today.  In 2086, it also will be the SAME damn thing.  Always works.  Whereas these newer Ports, as well as the Mobile Ports, they get patched and then things start breaking and not working anymore.  Luckily on my PS3, I can disable Internet and also play the HD GTA's which do in fact get Patches, but with Internet disabled, it can stay on 1.00.  I hate updating due to problems like these...

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

The version available for the PS4 is just the PS2 version running on an emulator.  So it has awful pop-in, crummy graphics and PS2 menus with a couple of options not working.  A proper port optimized for the PS4 would have been nice.  As it is I wouldn't really recommend it unless you've never played it, in which case it's definitely worth getting.  At £11.99 it's far too expensive for a PS2 game.  Had it been a proper PS4 port then £11.99 would be fair.

Lets Go Bowling
  • Lets Go Bowling

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Scotland

Posted A week ago Edited by Lets Go Bowling, A week ago.

Great to hear, i was under the impression some were removed hence why i held out buying it again. Makes sense as the songs were mostly original anyway, so they didn't run into the licensing issues of later games. Does it run at the same frame rate as the original, no major glitch/issues and is there a way to disable that motion blur effect?

I'd have love to have downloaded Vice City and San Andreas, but the amount of songs removed is criminal.

catfromnesbox
  • catfromnesbox

Trick

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 5 days ago

the perfect version is the XBOX. character hands are detailed, detailed vehicles, hi-res textures and 720P if you have component cable.

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 5 days ago

There are loads of PS2 consoles on Ebay if you search amazon you will still find boxed ones, ViceCity for PS2 is cheap on Amazon as well, i just picked up an extra copy of VCS for ps2  its in as new condition cost me £3 plus post and packing.

Also PS3 are getting cheaper and if you look you can still find the ones that are backwards compatable with PS2, i have one myself. Id rather play the originals than some dodgy upgrade.

I still have an XBOX and  VC GTA3 and SA are cheap to buy for that too, i like the XBOX version of ViceCity it looks nicer than PS2 but maybe thats just me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users