Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will there ever be a GTA like this again?

159 replies to this topic
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:59 PM Edited by Journey_95, 28 May 2016 - 10:19 PM.

Now I really liked the 3D Era games, especially VC was just fantasic but IV brought the series to new heights in terms of story and characters. But many didn't like this direction for the series and they changed it again.

GTA V was overall very underwhelming in that regard even though it had a lot of potential. Do you think they will ever try a more serious and mature GTA again? I'm still fine if GTA VI if its at least as good as VC (it doesn't need dark to be good, just wish the HD series remained on the course set by IV.

TLAD followed it but TBOGT was already different and a preview of how V would be.

• sqre, Errbahdy, Arrows to Athens and 6 others like this

RandompedestrianfromLC
  • RandompedestrianfromLC

Liberty City

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:13 PM

I really hope so. IV is definately the best GTA. Best characters, setting and story. 

• Algonquin Assassin, Journey_95, Niobium and 5 others like this

Lethal Vaccine
  • Lethal Vaccine

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:54 PM

I agree with you about TBoGT.  With that, you just saw what was soon to come, GTA V.  TBoGT and V are my least liked in the HD Era.  IV, TLaD, and CW are my favorites in the HD Era, but more importantly IV.  I would like them to stay on that path if anything.  In the end, I am still more a fan of the 3D Era...

• sqre, Scaglietti, eCola and 3 others like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

From nowhere

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:45 PM

Nope. I don't have to like the reality of this all myself, but V sells and the general audience and critical concensus is that it was the right path for the series to embark on.

The best we can hope for is that they'll tone the wackier and more parodical aspects of the humor down. I firmly believe Houser and Humphries still want to write stories like IV, RDR and MP3, but they also have to satisfy the popular demand. And that is elsewhere. So there's little chance we'll get a grounded game like IV and TLaD, TLaD was, in the context of the series, an extreme anomaly even in its time. We might get a game that will do a bit better job at reconcilling the lighthearted tone with serious storytelling, but... that's what I expected from V already. So I'm not holding my breath on that.

• gunziness and Niobium like this

Uncle Vlad
  • Uncle Vlad

annoying dick

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:56 AM Edited by Uncle Vlad, 29 May 2016 - 08:00 AM.

Definitely no. Since GTA Online is such a success I expect the next GTA to be even more influenced by multiplayer than V with the dumbed down driving, car damage, stupid limitations (car storage space just to name one) and the short storyline that doesn´t keep you away from multiplayer for too long.

They already opened up Pandora´s box, now it´s too late.

• gunziness, Niobium, Maibatsu545 and 5 others like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:08 AM Edited by Osho, 29 May 2016 - 09:21 AM.

While I do prefer a bit serious and mature direction but I certainly don't find IV's most boring and laughably ridiculous attempt of appearing mature and serious with all that pointless errand nonsense in the name of storytelling and game design as the right game to be taken as the benchmark for future GTAs.

It needs to be done actually in a serious manner with a proper approach that benefits both the narrative and gameplay of open world structure without making too many changes and concessions only to appeal a specific audience ( demands great storyline ) while ignoring the rest ( demanding both great gameplay and story ), otherwise it'll always FAIL in getting enough appreciation from the fans, as can be seen here how SA trumps IV in the census, and even lost against GTA Online. Clearly, fans demand, strictly, more FUN and interesting experiences out of every GTA, regardless its a serious / mature game or not.

Mafia City Of Lost Heaven should be seen as the perfect example that nails both great story and amazing, rich gameplay experience despite low on content. Fantastic game!

E:typo.
  • Videogames888 likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:38 AM

I really hope not, IV is depressing as f*ck. 

• Voit Turyv likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

While I do prefer a bit serious and mature direction but I certainly don't find IV's most boring and laughably ridiculous attempt of appearing mature and serious with all that pointless errand nonsense in the name of storytelling and game design as the right game to be taken as the benchmark for future GTAs.
It needs to be done actually in a serious manner with a proper approach that benefits both the narrative and gameplay of open world structure without making too many changes and concessions only to appeal a specific audience ( demands great storyline ) while ignoring the rest ( demanding both great gameplay and story ), otherwise it'll always FAIL in getting enough appreciation from the fans, as can be seen here how SA trumps IV in the census, and even lost against GTA Online. Clearly, fans demand, strictly, more FUN and interesting experiences out of every GTA, regardless its a serious / mature game or not.
Mafia City Of Lost Heaven should be seen as the perfect example that nails both great story and amazing, rich gameplay experience despite low on content. Fantastic game!
E:typo.

Yet according to the same census GTA IV trumped R*'s new baby and Niko trumped every protagonist as being the most favourite among fans. Funny that you leave those details out.

Anyway to answer the question I doubt we'll see another GTA like GTA IV ever again, but I don't think that's a bad thing. The thing I love about GTA IV that makes it stand out is it goes against the grain where people will either grow towards it or they don't.

R* hit on a very specific formula with GTA IV that I don't think could be replicated again simply by making things more mature and serious.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

Last week or so, I saw a picture poll on a popular video game meme page I follow on FB, asking people to vote on their favorite GTA, by liking/reacting to the photo. The choices were VC, SA, V, and IV. SA and V had first and second place respectively, VC in third and IV had last place by a landslide.

It was kinda sad for me to see, but the truth is, the general public doesn't like IV's style for GTA. I wish we could see another game as deep as this, but Rockstar follows the money.
  • O.Z, R4gN0r0K, The Deadite and 1 other like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:08 PM Edited by Journey_95, 29 May 2016 - 02:10 PM.

Last week or so, I saw a picture poll on a popular video game meme page I follow on FB, asking people to vote on their favorite GTA, by liking/reacting to the photo. The choices were VC, SA, V, and IV. SA and V had first and second place respectively, VC in third and IV had last place by a landslide.

It was kinda sad for me to see, but the truth is, the general public doesn't like IV's style for GTA. I wish we could see another game as deep as this, but Rockstar follows the money.

And to be honest I don't even blame them. If the fans liked GTA IV more, they would have kept the same mature direction for V but many didn't like it so they were basically forced to change it.

At least with Red Dead I hope they keep the serious vibe and they probably will because unlike GTA its not associated with cartoony characters & over the top fun.

@SoL you are right, this does make GTA IV more special but I still would have liked to see one more serious GTA.

• Algonquin Assassin, Piggsy pls, Kafonix and 1 other like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

That really doesn't surprise me. The general public will never embrace GTA IV's unique and ballsy style like hardcore GTA fans do. R* will just follow where the crowd leads them.
  • sqre, Aether, Piggsy pls and 6 others like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WE STILL LIVE

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Fan-Made Map 2017 [Capital City]
    2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

I really hope not, IV is depressing as f*ck. 

IV isn't depressing!... you...you are depressing you poophead!!
  • slimeball supreme, Arrows to Athens, Kafonix and 3 others like this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:51 PM Edited by Tycek, 29 May 2016 - 04:52 PM.

Real question is do we really need a game like GTA IV again. The way it was made make it unique enough to be remembered, by many people, even by those who didn't like it.

What I would really like to see again, is the game with so much effort and love put into as IV was. It doesn't have to be as serious or have as good story or characters as IV, but it should have the same amount of details and love put into it, to make us play it and remember even 8 years after its première.

• Algonquin Assassin, R4gN0r0K, Journey_95 and 6 others like this

Shakermaker
  • Shakermaker

Black Hole Sun

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:36 PM

I think no. What people expect from a GTA game is something more close to SA or V, but IV was a good exception.

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:58 PM

Had a dream the other night that VI was going to be Vice City, but not the Vice City map that we know from the old game, it had changed a lot with maybe 20% of recognisable landmarks making it back in..it was definitely going back to the 80's but it was early early 80's, before Vercetti was even on the scene. There was a Tony Montana character and it had a serious undertone to the game's premise, some of the dialogue was funny as f**k. The clothing was hilarious but awesome, with big lapelled shirts, fat ties and flared jeans and trousers. Oh and side burns. Large, epic, side burns.
So what I'm saying is, the next gta will be a bit of both, if R* have learnt anything by reading our s**t. But if VI was like the dream I had about Vice City it would be freakin awesome.
  • Niobium likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Meaningless Award

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:18 PM Edited by Zello, 29 May 2016 - 11:22 PM.

I hope we get better developed characters like IV if you look at all the characters in IV they were written better than everybody in V. Any of the IV characters could have carried a game by themselves that's how good they were Dwayne and Playboy X , Jimmy Pegorino, Elizabeta, The McCreary family, everybody in TLAD...we can talk for hours about the characters in IV we can't do the same for V.

• Aether, Niobium and Uncle Vlad like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:28 AM

Yet according to the same census GTA IV trumped R*'s new baby and Niko trumped every protagonist as being the most favourite among fans. Funny that you leave those details out..

SA trumped even in the category of antagonists, leaving Dimitri miles behind Frank Tenpenny, and I'm sure IV would fail in nearly every other category.
Niko's popularity isn't surprising at all. He won mainly because of how the new generation thinks about 3D era characters ( cartoony and delivered with no cinematic flair! ), unlike the early generation often finds no fancy cutscenes necessary to find them interesting and appealing, but judge and weigh the qualities depending on various parameters.
In fact, the census proves that Niko ( including Dimitri ) clearly lacks the spark and comes off way too weak to carry and lead the game on his shoulders to the path of victory for majority of the fans, despite the unanimous praise made for his character. Such a victory is often seen as a bigger shame and embarassment in my opinion, no matter the defenders of IV try their best to hide this truth, and the sole fact that many of those who chose Niko didn't find IV suitable to earn the top spot by a huge margin, clearly answers this topic that we'll never see nor people interested in playing another flop title like IV.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:12 AM

Yet according to the same census GTA IV trumped R*'s new baby and Niko trumped every protagonist as being the most favourite among fans. Funny that you leave those details out..

SA trumped even in the category of antagonists, leaving Dimitri miles behind Frank Tenpenny, and I'm sure IV would fail in nearly every other category.
Niko's popularity isn't surprising at all. He won mainly because of how the new generation thinks about 3D era characters ( cartoony and delivered with no cinematic flair! ), unlike the early generation often finds no fancy cutscenes necessary to find them interesting and appealing, but judge and weigh the qualities depending on various parameters.
In fact, the census proves that Niko ( including Dimitri ) clearly lacks the spark and comes off way too weak to carry and lead the game on his shoulders to the path of victory for majority of the fans, despite the unanimous praise made for his character. Such a victory is often seen as a bigger shame and embarassment in my opinion, no matter the defenders of IV try their best to hide this truth, and the sole fact that many of those who chose Niko didn't find IV suitable to earn the top spot by a huge margin, clearly answers this topic that we'll never see nor people interested in playing another flop title like IV.

_hFuRh7s7d0.jpg

You take things way too seriously. I don't think GTA IV's going to feel embarrassed that it didn't win a census poll that was only participated by a small number of people on the forum. I guess enjoy the "victory" if it helps you get through the day. lol. Jesus.

• O.Z, Sunrise Driver, Tycek and 12 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:18 AM

I'd like to see another GTA like IV again, but this time in a much more complete fashion. I want the seriousnes, and character depth of IV back in the next GTA, but additionally I'd like to see the larger gameplay variety and content from other GTA's along with it too.

The more serious tone and character depth of IV, with the huge exciting, fun, variety and content offered by VC and SA all mixed in up to advanced gaming tech standards.
  • Algonquin Assassin, josephene123, Arrows to Athens and 1 other like this

Masketta Man
  • Masketta Man

Snitch

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:28 AM

Answer: Yes/no/oppose

We'll get a darker, more serious, and "better" game than V eventually / To many who still enjoy regularly playing IV, I doubt anything they can make in the future is going to live up to it for ya, unfortunately. / This is an ambiguous question. What might be serious and mature for some might be too much or too little for others and end up not quite doing it. There are probably fans of V who see it as the pinnacle of serious gameplay and you haven't got the authority to lord your opinion over others, well not most of you anyway. ;)

Quibble: GTA V was one game. I think it's highly stupid to think, based on one game, that GTA might never get an edgy game again. But it's also highly stupid to speculate on the future of GTA at all without anything go off of. They could even surprise us, say for examle GTA VI opens with a slow tilt down to Paleto Bay Medical Center and a +5 year old Michael walks out slowly recovering from the news that he has testicular cancer. Imagine the drama of a vulnerable Michael still persisting in the worldly affairs of crime and capitalism despite his illness! (The idea is kind of balls, no pun intended, but it would defintely be shocking, dark and mature, and perhaps even more emotionally moving than IV was.)

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:33 PM Edited by Journey_95, 30 May 2016 - 12:37 PM.

"Shame and Embarrasment"? Jesus how old are you? Its a f*cking game!

I think most GTA IV fans know that it overall people didnt like the mature direction. There is no "hiding" anything.

You are the one acting childish here and who is on some sort of mission to convince everyone how much GTA IV sucks lol. Guess what not everyone agrees, you better come to terms with that
  • Official General and slimeball supreme like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:56 PM Edited by Osho, 30 May 2016 - 01:58 PM.

I think most GTA IV fans know that overall people didn't like the mature direction

See, this is the problem.
The problem with fans like you that idolize IV so much that makes ( or want to turn a blind eye? ) you blind to the actual reasons behind criticisms, and keep making silly threads like these for simply passing the blame on others who disliked the game, including the kids whom people like you find so young and immature that they can't understand the story simply because of the "serious and mature" direction despite the fact that there are similar games ( like Mafia 1 a lot mire realistic than IV, as well as gritty and mature ) which managed to appealed many young players.
The issue isn't with the mature and serious direction. The differences lie in how both IV and Mafia 1 execute the mature themes, and handle the storytelling taking the realistic, serious approach in addition to lots of attention to details to make the overall experience highly immersive and memorable.
The differences are explained many times so I'm not going to repeat again, and again, knowing that you have clearly comprehension issues even after making you realize many times about the same, which explains why you always foolishly point fingers at players for rejecting IV rather than understanding the actual issues.
It has nothing to do with the mature / serious direction nor the kids are to be blamed.
IV simply sucks at being fun, feels a lot boring with all the errand nonsense and a muddled, meandering plot with an approach so cliche in typical GTA fashion instead of actual maturity and serious treatment.
It could be better and IV does show a promising change for the future only if R* really knows how to handle it, just like the creators of Mafia 1 knew and did superbly.

E:typo

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WE STILL LIVE

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Fan-Made Map 2017 [Capital City]
    2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:26 PM

Guys, could you please stop replying to Osho?
Is bad enough i have to see his "posts" quoted by everyone.

The f*ck you did with your username?
  • Algonquin Assassin, Official General, Journey_95 and 3 others like this

Misunderstood
  • Misunderstood

Keep up, motherf*cker!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:53 PM

IV simply sucks at being fun, feels a lot boring with all the errand nonsense and a muddled, meandering plot with an approach so cliche in typical GTA fashion instead of actual maturity and serious treatment.

Not sure what game you're playing. IV is a blast, is a lot of fun with its great plot and offers me so much joy that I've been playing it for nearly a decade and am still not bored of it. This just doesn't seem like the game section for you, pal. 

• B Dawg, Official General, Journey_95 and 5 others like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:17 AM

I hope so but I doubt it. I always say that people should have appreciated it when it came out and they have gone more in that direction for V.

• Journey_95 likes this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Anywhere City Survivor

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:03 AM

I think that every GTA has its own unique attitudes, atmosphere and feeling to it, and it'd be best to keep it like that, so my answer is that I hope not.

Bertanius
  • Bertanius

I need friends

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:00 AM

They could do both if they decide to keep single player a main focus in future titles. I myself would really enjoy another serious tone for a storyline, with its own style of course so it wouldn't just be a rehash of GTA IV. The single player story could get in-depth and take a serious tone, while the online mode can be action-packed and bright like a Hollywood movie to please all the kiddies who love to drive around in chrome sports cars and kill anything that moves. Appealing to both ends of the scale would please any type of player.

Big_Smiley
  • Big_Smiley

Cowboys to girls, shoot'em up, bang! bang!

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:25 AM Edited by GTA_The_Series, 31 May 2016 - 05:30 AM.

Not sure what game you're playing. IV is a blast, is a lot of fun with its great plot and offers me so much joy that I've been playing it for nearly a decade and am still not bored of it. This just doesn't seem like the game section for you, pal.
Somebody who doesn't enjoy bowling with Roman should leave. *Cough* Mr.O

Same with me. For a game that came out nearly 8 years ago i still enjoy playing as Niko and hearing him scream at other peds when crashing is like hearing an angel scream.
  • Journey_95, Arrows to Athens, Lenny™ and 1 other like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:53 AM

The reason why many enjoy ( strictly, from gameplay standpoint ) Niko and other antics the game has to offer not because of the exceptional quality of the content but due to their technical side, to graphics or physics making it easy to give up the cartoony era.
Bowling is the most silly thing to enjoy in a video game, and what some members believe about what kids prefer, then such boring past times like bowling, QUB3D and other things that does nothing to advance the series nor fun, but forced upon the players to spend time due to lack of interesting choices that reduced GTA to social simulator with boring friends actually seems more childish in nature that probably only kids would find so great to play for a game like GTA, and esp., after spending so much time playing their predecessors.

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

Mr man tits

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • GoSquared
  • Best Crew 2017 [Spanish Kings]
    Best Writing 2017 [Red Triangle]
    Crew Poster Winner 2017
    Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:42 AM Edited by Mr. Fahrenheit, 31 May 2016 - 06:44 AM.

Bowling is the most silly thing to enjoy in a video game, and what some members believe about what kids prefer, then such boring past times like bowling, QUB3D and other things that does nothing to advance the series nor fun, but forced upon the players to spend time due to lack of interesting choices that reduced GTA to social simulator with boring friends

Pool, Arcade Machines and 'boring past times' like dating were in San Andreas too. You have a weird double standard

Spoiler
  • Algonquin Assassin, Sunrise Driver, Official General and 8 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users