Photo

After All These Years..

48 replies to this topic
/_/_Xrtist_/_/
  • /_/_Xrtist_/_/

Xrtist

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:47 PM Edited by /_/_Xrtist_/_/, 25 May 2016 - 11:48 AM.

We've been playing these GTA games for years now. We were just kids, only caring about having fun and that was it. But looking back now, what do you really see these games as? Are you still positive about them? 

Btw, this is not about the features, cities or cars. This is only about the way you feel about them after all these years..

You can use the empty list below to tell us your feelings about them.

Spoiler

I will go first:

I : Still fun and exciting, also somehow really interesting. I love the never changing good weather and afternoon look of the game.

London1969 & London1961 : Never liked them much as the original.

II : Love the design / the look, Zaibatsu gang and their car. Still hate the way you save the game.

III : Best in 3Dera. The story. Solid characters. 3 years of development. Incredibly interesting and mysterious with it's beta development cycle still to this day.

Vc : Sadly, a quick cash grab with Scarface story and Miami Vice mix together. Its obvious that it was only meant to be a expansion to III, not worthy of a full game. But somehow, was my favorite as child.

Sa : Loved it when it first came out, but never grown on me. They went for quantity, not quality. SF is still the worst city GTA ever had. Story is there for you to get to know the city and the features. All the references to the III and VC were incredibly forced and bad. They've tried to wrap up the trilogy, but it was a sad attempt.

Advance: Produced as a III port, nothing more. At last minute, they've made it in to a good prequel to III. Story is good and interesting, but sadly, that is all there is to it. If you are a III fan, must check, if not, just a waste of time.

Lcs : GTAIII with VC engine. Lazy. Unimaginative. They could've given us Upstate or Carcer City, but no. I love the story, especially the Staunton Part. Donald Love is funny and interesting, but Toni always felt like a dog on Sal's leash, and a cheap Tommy V knockoff. 

Vcs : Starts of incredibly fun, interesting and heartwarming. But aside from the visual feel of it, you never feel the 80s.. An 80s game without any MJ song? The story and the characters are really innocent and has soap-opera kind of warm to them. I wish they could include more freedom and fun activities, as it was 2006 and the 3dera formula was old and uninteresting even back then. This is why the game falls apart. Because no one cared about PS2 GTA's in 2006, the series was done for that era sadly.

IV : Niko has depth and power to his personality. The city does not. It was a wrong turn for them to get realistic. I dont like the V turned out with it's story, but the fun side of it was miles better than IV will ever be. Just a compelling story to play and then move on.

L&D : Loved the biker friends, the aura of having a group to hang out was extremely really cool, and never done in GTA before. SA had gang group of 7 to jerk around but they were never your friends.

TBGT : In the theory, the story and the characters are interesting. In the game, they are not. Bored quickly and never liked to attempt of making LC colorful and VC/SA like, which was pathetic.

CTW : Underrated gem, result of hard work. Sadly no one cared enough, it fell short real quick and never made the financial success they'had hoped for.

V : Did everything IV failed to do, to the point of sacrificing the story and interesting SP. What we've left with is the same thing as original SA. Just quantity, never quality. Fun though.

VOnline : The reason people turned their backs on R*.

VI : I really have no hope, or interest anymore. I'm only here because of the older games. Our only hope is a Co-Op mode with-in GTA6. Basically SP with MP features. I wouldn't say no to that and everybody wins. Even the original Half-Life has a mod called Swen-Op and you play the whole story/levels with your friends from start to finish. It's extremely popular and i dont see any problem including this to newer GTA's.

If you are a GTA fan, you must check these games out:

Manhunt: If you ever wanted to cross those tunnels in GTAIII and wanted to explore what was out there, then this is your answer. The feeling this game is giving you is still amazing and you finally get to see the npc side of GTA series, you know; without cars, only street level and locked out of map areas..

Manhunt 2: Same with first game, but this time it's even more connected to GTA series and it's giving you the feeling of "3Dera has it's own giant world with different cities and characters to explore".

The Warriors: Manhunt/GTA mashup gameplay with incredible story and interesting activities. Must see!

Bully: The reason i felt like a teenager and hang on to my old PS2 even more. You may call it the "safe GTA" but i call it brilliant.

temi4328
  • temi4328

"The crow no longer sings to me"

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:52 PM

My trust in VI is gone till they release story DLC for v
  • /_/_Xrtist_/_/ likes this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:56 AM

I strongly disagree with you about San Andreas dont ever talk that way about San Andreas ever again. You know nothing boy!
  • epoxi, Tomasak, Osho and 5 others like this

Maibatsu545
  • Maibatsu545

veritas vos liberabit

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:57 AM Edited by Maibatsu545, 25 May 2016 - 04:21 AM.

I&II: fun when I was very young but ain't nobody got time for that 2D driving sh*t or outdated save system anymore, except for hardcore fans

III: still great but looks old and aged compared to the other games. If you ignore the other games and just play it for itself it's still great. Some really annoying missions.

VC: Legendary. There are no words. Graphics are dated now but the style, theme and music are still the strongest of the GTAs. If anything, Could do with a 1080p 60FPS remaster for those jaggies.

SA: even when it came out, I never was in head over heels in love with it. Overall art design and style felt kind of flat compared to VC. But I can still get into it however if I start a fresh save. Countryside missions are a bitch. The map is the best out of all the GTAs, even now in 2016. And with so many activities/appearance changes for CJ you can always make new saves interesting. If I had to pick one GTA game to play on a desert island for the rest of my life I'd probably pick this one.

LCS: fun, but takes me a while to not puke over the terrible graphics. I get that it's a PSP port but yeesh. Also the story kinda sucks and makes no sense. Nice to revisit an updated LC, though.

VCS: Even if it doesn't have the same "magic" as Vice City and is obviously of lower quality, still a great game for what it is. Some of the missions are the most annoying of the series. (Who the f*ck wants to drive a forklift with sh*tty controls in a mission with a strict time limit? And as one of the first missions?WTF Rockstar.)

IV: fun but ultimately boring. I only ever play it now and then for 2008 nostalgia. And to play the multiplayer because I'm sure R* are shutting down the IV servers soon to force people into GTAO

TLAD: Fun at the time when we were desperate for content, now rendered pointless because of GTAV's trash ass story. What's the point of playing this or getting immersed in the story when you just know it's all going to be ruined by a new "edgy" protag made to appeal to 12 y/o squeakers?

TBOGT: "bro tone"

CTW: fun but limited. seems like DS version is the best. Might play it again some day.

V: Trash, but very good looking trash. Fun for the first month in 2013. Then the boredom sets in.

GTAO: Garbage. Apples to the lowest common denominator. Half of the population is Kids born in 2005 swear it's the greatest GTA ever because they think they're being master trolls by acting like idiots and squeaking on the mic. Other half is sad grown ass men who argue and fight over the mic, usually over who's the most "gangsta". Fun if you like spending your time with the lowest dregs of humanity.

GTA6: We shall see, but things don't look hopeful.
  • Kafonix and /_/_Xrtist_/_/ like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

Based on the games I have played: -
1. GTA 2 - The best GTA yet. I wish someday, we get a total conversion mod that upgrades the visuals for experience in higher resolution, and even from third person perspective. That'll be awesome.
2. III - Personally, a bit overrated even for its time. Its a great game for consoles but for PC, another classic game called "Mafia City of Lost Heaven" released around the same time is vastly superior in quality, polish and innovative ideas over GTA III. No way, III is revolutionary for a 3D game than Mafia 1. Unfortunately, the latter didn't get much mainstream attention and GTA III is still regarded as the game that started it all ( mainly, for the console gamers ) when the only change that helps to differentiate GTA III over GTA 2 is a 3D world with a story, nothing else.
For me, III doesn't really deserve the title of being revolutionary nor groundbreaking than what Mafia 1 dared to attempt many things in the open world genre being ahead of its time as a 3D game with its mature storytelling, advanced driving, attention to details and improved AI, which took Rockstar years to finally bring a shift in the series with a mature direction through GTA IV by attempting a similar feat that Mafia 1 already accomplished.
GTA VC - A lot better than III and personally, my favorite.
GTA SA - The game that truly remains unsurpassed and unlike any other open world game, truly an amazing sandbox world to explore, have fun and just enjoy the freedom of having so many interesting things to play around. The street races and air tournaments still manage to offer dozens of hours of fun for a single player I highly doubt Rockstar will ever offer such variety of street races and plethora of activities in SP of HD GTAs.
GTA IV - Worst GTA ever, and a bad Mafia 1 rip off. Enough said.
GTA V - Best sandbox world of HD GTA's. Its best suited for PC experience in order to fully enjoy the potential V has to offer.
  • Al3x_XXI and DimitriFaustin like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

GTA 1: My first GTA. I remember playing with my mates after school. Good times. The crazy zooming in and out camera could be a little nauseating lol, but still a classic and gave birth to my favourite franchise of all time.

GTA 2: Huge improvement over the original. I also like the retro futurism theme.

London 69: I only played this briefly so don't really have much more else to say.

London 61: Never played.

GTA III: Absolutely revolutionary game, but I don't think it's aged that well. However it is 15 years old this year so fair play.

Vice City: The best 3D era GTA easily. I can't think of too much I actually dislike with maybe the exception of not being able to swim, Other than that the games oozes with style and character.

San Andreas: Never found it appealing. I like the tri city map and appreciate the scope, but I honestly can't stand CJ arggh.

GTAAdvance: Never played.

LCS: Tried to get into it, but couldn't which is strange as I love mafia themed movies/games.

VCS: Better than LCS, but nothing on Vice City. Vic isn't as cool as Tommy. Sorry. :cool:

GTA IV:

Spoiler

TLAD: Compliments GTA IV brilliantly. Biker theme games aren't that common ,but TLAD has to be at the top.

TBOGT: Hmmm just feels like the odd one out in the impossible trinity. It's cool that it shows a different side of Liberty City, but GTA IV and TLAD are better.

CTW: I remember when CTW copped a lot of crap for its cartoon like graphics, but I honestly think that's what make sit unique. If only it got a PS3 and 360 release I think more could've been done.

GTA V: It makes me feel similarly to how I feel about San Andreas, but unlike San Andreas that at least utilised everything it had GTA V feels like a game that could be so much more than it is. It's beautiful yes, but nice visuals don't interest me much anymore.

GTAO: Tried it a few times and it simply didn't hold my interest.

• Nico, HaythamKenway, Journey_95 and 10 others like this

otachi
  • otachi

Bring out the gimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:51 AM

1. GTA 2 - The best GTA yet. I wish someday, we get a total conversion mod that upgrades the visuals for experience in higher resolution, and even from third person perspective. That'll be awesome.
2. III - Personally, a bit overrated even for its time. Its a great game for consoles but for PC, another classic game called "Mafia City of Lost Heaven" released around the same time is vastly superior in quality, polish and innovative ideas over GTA III. No way, III is revolutionary for a 3D game than Mafia 1. Unfortunately, the latter didn't get much mainstream attention and GTA III is still regarded as the game that started it all ( mainly, for the console gamers ) when the only change that helps to differentiate GTA III over GTA 2 is a 3D world with a story, nothing else.
For me, III doesn't really deserve the title of being revolutionary nor groundbreaking than what Mafia 1 dared to attempt many things in the open world genre being ahead of its time as a 3D game with its mature storytelling, advanced driving, attention to details and improved AI, which took Rockstar years to finally bring a shift in the series with a mature direction through GTA IV by attempting a similar feat that Mafia 1 already accomplished.
GTA SA - The game that truly remains unsurpassed and unlike any other open world game, truly an amazing sandbox world to explore, have fun and just enjoy the freedom of having so many interesting things to play around. The street races and air tournaments still manage to offer dozens of hours of fun for a single player I highly doubt Rockstar will ever offer such variety of street races and plethora of activities in SP of HD GTAs.
GTA V - Best sandbox world of HD GTA's. Its best suited for PC experience in order to fully enjoy the potential V has to offer.

You really hate gta 4.

• Journey_95, Roger Cheeto, temi4328 and 1 other like this

Pavle
  • Pavle

The Prodigal Son

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Serbia
  • Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Shania Twain Superfan
    Biggest Profile Stalker 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Serb 2015
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:30 AM

I & II - Two legendary games, but could never really get into them.

III - Amazing game with an amazing story. Had some really hard and annoying missions, though.

VC - My first and my favorite GTA game. Absolutely loved the story and the characters. Back in the day I used to think how amazing it was with all the things that I could do in it. Still sometimes play it.

SA - It's a great game with a bunch of stuff that you can do, but I personally think it's overrated. A lot of people say it's superior to other GTA's just because of the things you can do inside it. Also R* ruined the Steam version.

IV - Revolutionary game, and hands down it has the best story in the whole series. I would go trough the story a few more times if I had the time. I get really nostalgic when I play it because when it got released, my friends and I used to go down to the arcade and play LAN multiplayer. Plus, Niko is Serbian so bonus points to it...

V - I love it, fell in love when I saw the gameplay trailer and I even bought a PS3 just so I could play it. A lot of people hate it for multiple reasons, but I just love it. Still play it to this day.

Online - I used to play it a lot, but I realised that none of my friends play it, so I gave up. Sometimes I turn it on just to mess around with the R* editor.
  • Tomasak, Journey_95, theGTAking101 and 5 others like this

Misunderstood
  • Misunderstood

Keep up, motherf*cker!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:20 PM Edited by Misunderstood, 25 May 2016 - 01:22 PM.

I & II (Plus expansion packs): Good games but I find it hard to go back and enjoy these games after all these years.

III: Great game that still holds up today. I f*cking love this game.

VC: I love this game but between III, VC and SA, VC is my least played. The setting and story is still great but I don't know, I never find myself going back to this game as much as III and SA.

SA: Timeless masterpiece. I have been playing this game since it f*cking came out and I am still not bored of it. I play on PC and I don't use any  game-changing mods (just silent patch, controller support and a few visual changes) and I've yet to get bored of this game. There's so much sh*t to do in this game and I doubt 75% of the people who played it have even scratched the surface. 

LCS: One of my least favorite GTA games. It's always a chore to go back to this game. I don't hate it but I don't love it nearly as much as the other games. The story was weak sauce. 

VCS: A classic just as great as VC (Sorry SOL, Tommy sucks :p

IV: The King of GTA. No other GTA tops this game. The only game that gets close is SA. You want a small game that is a insane amount of fun and has a sh*t ton of details throughout? Play IV. Want a large game that offers endless opportunities? Play SA. SA and IV both have a place in the series and I love them both. But IV takes the cake. The story, the city, the gameplay. It's all here and all great.

TLAD: Great biker story and a fantastic f*cking game.

TBOGT: Not as good as IV or TLAD but still a classic and I love the f*cking theme song and pause music.

Chinatown Wars: Underrated as f*ck. 

V: Simple. V is a 5/10 game without mods. And a 7/10 with. V and SA are similar in the sense that they both offer a lot quantity of sh*t to do. The difference is SA's sh*t was actually fun while V's sh*t is either boring or broken. Mods are the only thing that save this game.  

EDIT: Realized I forgot Online.

Online: f*ck Online. IV's and RDR's online sh*t all over this buggy mess LOL. The community, the missions and just everything about Online is garbage. I have no idea how people still play this crap. 

• MiamiViceCity, Jabalous, HaythamKenway and 3 others like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

BRAINSSS

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:48 PM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 25 May 2016 - 05:11 PM.

GTA 1 & 2
I've played them as a kid, but now the are really outdated, a good start to the series and see how much they progressed.

GTA III
Also outdated, but revolutionary at the time and still worlds better than Driver. A classic.

GTA Vice City
Some gameplay elements feel outdated but is pretty solid and Tommy will forever be my favorite gta protag.

GTA San Andreas
Another game that revolutionized the series yet again, game would be the best GTA if it wasn't for CJ, he gets old.
Sadly, from now on this game will be the measuring bar on terms of quality, which is kinda of unfair in some ways.

GTA Vice City Stories
Awesome game, they fixed a lot of problems in the original (namely the awful map) but Victor is kinda of an hypocrite and a reverse Johnny Klebitz sorta speak, hard to take him seriously and care about him if you know how he dies. By the time VC events take place, is like this game didn't counted for nothing, no Vance bussiness and no badass Vic. A prequel wasn't the best platform for this game.

GTA Liberty City Stories
Another solid entry in the series, personally i really enjoy Toni but there's not other remarkable quality about this game. An excellent way to get introduced to the series.

GTA IV
lmaorflolmao is just poop in the shape of a disc and a ripoff of mafia game for yokels and peasants
nothing more than gayboi sh*t and a snore bitchass gaim amirite guise

GTA The Lost and Damned
Storymode is on par with IV, they added a lot of dope content and Johnny is a well characterized as Niko...but the game is too bleak for my taste, not that different from IV which isn't a negative or possitive, i just wanted another experience.
I also hate that disgusting yellow tone.

GTA The Ballad of Gay Tony
Personally, i enjoy Luis Lopez, can't say the same about the ridiculous storymode and obnoxious cast, i enjoy the game because of his lighthearted nature but ultimately, it was a step backwards for the series.
At least they brought back the wackyness about gta sorely missed in TLAD.

GTA V
The same that TBOGT but in a larger scale and with a lot of stupid design choices, A LOT of stupid design choices. Story is short and terrible, gameplay went even more backwards than the 3D era and the cast is abysmal.
We have 3 protags but neither is particularly good, Michael is just an angry dad with boring problems and a unlikable family, Franklin is underdeveloped and boring and Trevor is just a excellently voiced gag designed to be as ridiculous as posible.
A bad gta game but a good videogame.

EDIT:

(...Tommy sucks :p)

3724530.jpg

I'm just gonna assume that was a misunderstood, maybe you confused the words "suck" with "dope and sik as sh*t".
  • MiamiViceCity, HaythamKenway, Journey_95 and 6 others like this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Megalopolis Megalomaniac

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:33 AM

2D Universe Thoughts: Underrated gems that are still very fun to play. I would have liked to see a mission pack for GTA 2 as a proper means of closure to the 2D games, but then again, it ain't happening.

GTA 1: Gouranga! I may not have started out from the beginning, but I really enjoy GTA 1. I've always liked the design and colours used to make the San Andreas and Vice City buildings and maps. The music is great and I think Brother Marcus and Bubby are funny. Not to mention that Sammy Deever is, in my opinion, more psychotic than Catalina from III and San Andreas. Sure, the saving system can be a pain in the butt, but the game can be exploited.
GTA London 1969 & 1961: Fun times, got a huge kick out of stealing that Formula One car for Harold in 1961 as well as the Endeavour Chambers missions.
GTA 2: You never forget your first. After all these years, I think GTA 2 still holds up and has the truest feel of a Grand Theft Auto game. I think it has the best atmosphere, best music/soundtrack, some of the best missions in a GTA game, and it has a style of humour very few games ever made can say they have. Besides, you can't go wrong with Claude Speed. Assuming GTA 2 is in 2013, at least it's in a 2013 where you don't hear of people thinking that taking self-portraits with a mobile smartphone is "OMG Best Thing EVER LOL". And that is totally fine by me. Respect is Everything!
3D Universe Thoughts: Yes, I understand that the 3D games are what put Rockstar on top and what gained a lot of people in the fanbase. I greatly think, however, that they are overrated and a lot of improvements could have been made. Vice City and San Andreas just scream the phrase "fish in a barrel."
GTA III: Don't get me wrong, I enjoy screwing around in this game, causing all kinds of mayhem and so forth. And I've been playing GTA III since 2005. But some key things: a) the map is p*ss-poorly designed, to the point where there's few area to freely wander, b) Claude's character model looks dumb (I'd really wish he'd look like the model you see in my avatar) and c) the game would have been much more "revolutionary" if he had a voice actor. The story would have been improved tenfolds. Many games on the market before GTA III had talking protagonists, after all.
GTA Vice City: I really loved Tommy Vercetti and Vice City when I was a young kid (I still do now, I love the music and setting), but I concur with the OP here - Vice City was kinda of a money grab.
GTA Advance: I never played Advance, so I can't really elaborate.
GTA San Andreas: Extremely overrated still to this day, some of the characters drove me up a wall as to how annoying they were, and the horrible gunfire graphics (and some weapon sounds as well) still kinda turn me off. Not to mention that the game feels greatly rushed. Still, San Andreas does have some merits - I enjoyed playing as Carl Johnson, and greatly liked Mike Toreno, Sweet, and The Truth. The vehicle variety is also very impressive. Some of the missions are also awesome to play.
GTA Liberty City Stories: Like the OP said, Toni is like Sal's (and his ma's, too) personal lap dog, it seems like Toni isn't rising up the criminal ladder for anything personal. The game also feels lackluster in the amount of activities and you can only use a trainer to use a helicopter. That said, blowing up Fort Staunton sure was a barrel of fun...
GTA Vice City Stories: In many ways, Vice City Stories is the better 3D Vice City game. Though it takes a good amount of work, it's fun to build a empire in this game, and Vic Vance is one of my favourite protagonists.
HD Universe Thoughts: Finally, playing a GTA game feels just as fresh as it must have been to play the original when it came out back in 1997. Both IV's and V's stories and characters felt compelling and inspiring to think in a new outlook. Rockstar so far has gotten Liberty City and Los Santos "right" and it piques my curiousity to think about what Rockstar could do with a modern Vice City (or some other setting).
GTA IV: Finally, Rockstar gets Liberty City right. From Niko Bellic's cynicism to the many personalities he meets to the missions, this game was greatly enjoyable and will remain such.
GTA The Lost and Damned: I would never have thought the idea of an outlaw biker gang in a place based on New York to work, but Johnny Klebitz's story proved me wrong. And while I enjoyed playing as a member of the Lost MC, I was also unfazed in any way by Johnny's demise in V. To be honest, I thought that was the closest to a "happy ending" someone like Johnny would ever get.
GTA The Ballad of Gay Tony: Luis Fernando Lopez gets an undeserved amount of hate here, I really loved the missions, weapons and running the operations of nightclubs.
GTA Chinatown Wars: Never played Chinatown Wars, so I can't give an accurate viewpoint.
GTA V: GTA V deserves more credit than it actually receives. I found the idea of carrying out major heists while under government pressure in a GTA game to be completely exciting and fresh, not to mention having to contend with many personalities. From Franklin's calmness and naivety to Michael's mid-life crisis to Trevor's insanity, I enjoyed every bit of the characters. Just one thing - I greatly wish GTA V had a six-star wanted level system.
GTA Online: I'm not into multiplayer games, so I can't exactly have anything substantial to say about this game. Though I do wish Rockstar would stop focusing on it so much though.

What I Think Rockstar Will Do Next With GTA: I see no reason not to be optimistic - unless Rockstar was to say that they'd completely ditch everything else in favour of Online (I actually fear this, believe me). Otherwise, whatever Rockstar decides is the course of action for the next GTA game, be it GTA VI or something else, is fine by me.

You really hate gta 4.

So? He's entitled to his own opinion just like all of us.

• Al3x_XXI, otachi, /_/_Xrtist_/_/ and 1 other like this

otachi
  • otachi

Bring out the gimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:22 PM

2D Universe Thoughts: Underrated gems that are still very fun to play. I would have liked to see a mission pack for GTA 2 as a proper means of closure to the 2D games, but then again, it ain't happening.

GTA 1: Gouranga! I may not have started out from the beginning, but I really enjoy GTA 1. I've always liked the design and colours used to make the San Andreas and Vice City buildings and maps. The music is great and I think Brother Marcus and Bubby are funny. Not to mention that Sammy Deever is, in my opinion, more psychotic than Catalina from III and San Andreas. Sure, the saving system can be a pain in the butt, but the game can be exploited.
GTA London 1969 & 1961: Fun times, got a huge kick out of stealing that Formula One car for Harold in 1961 as well as the Endeavour Chambers missions.
GTA 2: You never forget your first. After all these years, I think GTA 2 still holds up and has the truest feel of a Grand Theft Auto game. I think it has the best atmosphere, best music/soundtrack, some of the best missions in a GTA game, and it has a style of humour very few games ever made can say they have. Besides, you can't go wrong with Claude Speed. Assuming GTA 2 is in 2013, at least it's in a 2013 where you don't hear of people thinking that taking self-portraits with a mobile smartphone is "OMG Best Thing EVER LOL". And that is totally fine by me. Respect is Everything!
3D Universe Thoughts: Yes, I understand that the 3D games are what put Rockstar on top and what gained a lot of people in the fanbase. I greatly think, however, that they are overrated and a lot of improvements could have been made. Vice City and San Andreas just scream the phrase "fish in a barrel."
GTA III: Don't get me wrong, I enjoy screwing around in this game, causing all kinds of mayhem and so forth. And I've been playing GTA III since 2005. But some key things: a) the map is p*ss-poorly designed, to the point where there's few area to freely wander, b) Claude's character model looks dumb (I'd really wish he'd look like the model you see in my avatar) and c) the game would have been much more "revolutionary" if he had a voice actor. The story would have been improved tenfolds. Many games on the market before GTA III had talking protagonists, after all.
GTA Vice City: I really loved Tommy Vercetti and Vice City when I was a young kid (I still do now, I love the music and setting), but I concur with the OP here - Vice City was kinda of a money grab.
GTA San Andreas: Extremely overrated still to this day, some of the characters drove me up a wall as to how annoying they were, and the horrible gunfire graphics (and some weapon sounds as well) still kinda turn me off. Not to mention that the game feels greatly rushed. Still, San Andreas does have some merits - I enjoyed playing as Carl Johnson, and greatly liked Mike Toreno, Sweet, and The Truth. The vehicle variety is also very impressive. Some of the missions are also awesome to play.
GTA Liberty City Stories: Like the OP said, Toni is like Sal's (and his ma's, too) personal lap dog, it seems like Toni isn't rising up the criminal ladder for anything personal. The game also feels lackluster in the amount of activities and you can only use a trainer to use a helicopter. That said, blowing up Fort Staunton sure was a barrel of fun...
GTA Vice City Stories: In many ways, Vice City Stories is the better 3D Vice City game. Though it takes a good amount of work, it's fun to build a empire in this game, and Vic Vance is one of my favourite protagonists.
HD Universe Thoughts: Finally, playing a GTA game feels just as fresh as it must have been to play the original when it came out back in 1997. Both IV's and V's stories and characters felt compelling and inspiring to think in a new outlook. Rockstar so far has gotten Liberty City and Los Santos "right" and it piques my curiousity to think about what Rockstar could do with a modern Vice City (or some other setting).
GTA IV: Finally, Rockstar gets Liberty City right. From Niko Bellic's cynicism to the many personalities he meets to the missions, this game was greatly enjoyable and will remain such.
GTA The Lost and Damned: I would never have thought the idea of an outlaw biker gang in a place based on New York to work, but Johnny Klebitz's story proved me wrong. And while I enjoyed playing as a member of the Lost MC, I was also unfazed in any way by Johnny's demise in V. To be honest, I thought that was the closest to a "happy ending" someone like Johnny would ever get.
GTA The Ballad of Gay Tony: Luis Fernando Lopez gets an undeserved amount of hate here, I really loved the missions, weapons and running the operations of nightclubs.
GTA Chinatown Wars: Never played Chinatown Wars, so I can't give an accurate viewpoint.
GTA V: GTA V deserves more credit than it actually receives. I found the idea of carrying out major heists while under government pressure in a GTA game to be completely exciting and fresh, not to mention having to contend with many personalities. From Franklin's calmness and naivety to Michael's mid-life crisis to Trevor's insanity, I enjoyed every bit of the characters. Just one thing - I greatly wish GTA V had a six-star wanted level system.
GTA Online: I'm not into multiplayer games, so I can't exactly have anything substantial to say about this game. Though I do wish Rockstar would stop focusing on it so much though.

What I Think Rockstar Will Do Next With GTA: I see no reason not to be optimistic - unless Rockstar was to say that they'd completely ditch everything else in favour of Online (I actually fear this, believe me). Otherwise, whatever Rockstar decides is the course of action for the next GTA game, be it GTA VI or something else, is fine by me.

You really hate gta 4.

Alright.

Btw i agree about gta vc about being a money grab,the game was way too similar to gta 3,it makes sense now that it was supposed to be a dlc,still a good game tho

And i really don't agree with the op about san andreas,the game had quality and quantity,and the story wasn't bad,lots of people still remember almost everything about it,it had problems sure but it was lovely,plus the game has aged a lot better than vc and gta 3,people still play it goddammit,it seems like you hate it just for the sake of hating on it

No wonder Osho keeps saying gta san andreas is underrated,it's probably the second most hated gta game in gtaforums,despite being universally loved and considered the best gta.D

/_/_Xrtist_/_/
  • /_/_Xrtist_/_/

Xrtist

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:49 PM Edited by /_/_Xrtist_/_/, 26 May 2016 - 09:49 PM.

Alright.

Btw i agree about gta vc about being a money grab,the game was way too similar to gta 3,it makes sense now that it was supposed to be a dlc,still a good game tho

And i really don't agree with the op about san andreas,the game had quality and quantity,and the story wasn't bad,lots of people still remember almost everything about it,it had problems sure but it was lovely,plus the game has aged a lot better than vc and gta 3,people still play it goddammit,it seems like you hate it just for the sake of hating on it

No wonder Osho keeps saying gta san andreas is underrated,it's probably the second most hated gta game in gtaforums,despite being universally loved and considered the best gta.D

San Andreas is not a good game. Just because they've put together all the models from III, VC and Manhunt with different textures doesn't mean that they've done something big. It's just like a singer putting out a best of album to me.

Yes they went for quantity, there was no quality. You may have fun with the game, but in my eyes SA and V are the same in the making. Just for fun, for kids.. And since kids cant tell the difference between III and SA or IV and V, they've won.
  • DimitriFaustin likes this

otachi
  • otachi

Bring out the gimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

Alright.

San Andreas is not a good game. Just because they've put together all the models from III, VC and Manhunt with different textures doesn't mean that they've done something big. It's just like a singer putting out a best of album to me.

Yes they went for quantity, there was no quality. You may have fun with the game, but in my eyes SA and V are the same in the making. Just for fun, for kids.. And since kids cant tell the difference between III and SA or IV and V, they've won.

San andreas had by far the best gameplay mechanics,and how the hell it had no quality?? if you said it had some poorly designed elements and gameplay features,i might agree,but saying it had no quality,that's straight up bullsh*t.

And rockstar always reuse models from there games,that's why many of their games may look really similar to each other

And what do you mean they made it for kids,are you suggesting they want it more money,so they made it for kids,what's your prove on that?? is it because every other gta (aside from gta sa and v) are known to be financial disasters,because last time i checked Gta iv (ps3) made more money than gta san andreas (ps2)

Or because they want an easy money in little time,despite san andreas took more time than vice city,the jump between gta vc to gta sa is a lot bigger than gta 3 to vc.

• Meekail, Osho, Maibatsu545 and 2 others like this

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:26 PM

3: revolutionary but hasn't aged well still a good game

VC: fav 3d game im not sure why it has a very magical feeling to it. and the music is so good.

SA: fav map and some nice characters but the story takes the biggest fall for me after you leave los santos. i also don't understand why cj can't kill tenpenny. 

4: 3rd fav gta. niko such a good character and the city is amazing. my only problem is its too long.

5: my personal fav. 2nd fav map and i enjoy online quite a bit. wish they added some SP story dlc tho

6: excited and hope it takes place in vice city

zanesix
  • zanesix

HELL NO TAKE 2 NO

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:54 PM Edited by zanesix, 27 May 2016 - 01:12 AM.

The way I see it, each of the 3D era games have their own greatest points, and that's why I still play them all. COmpletely disagree with what you said about San Andreas and Vice City, those were the best GTA's IMO. VC had that cool 80's feel and interesting characters and SA had a giant map with likable characters and a sh*t ton of things to do that GTA 5 can't even top.

Also, the Stories games were good too, can't say much for Vice City Stories since I haven't played it (yet) but I definitely wouldn't call Liberty City Stories "unimaginative". It definitely wasn't groundbreaking, but I enjoyed it.

• otachi likes this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Megalopolis Megalomaniac

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:47 PM

You really hate gta 4.

Alright.

I guess I'm in the minority here, being somebody that thinks San Andreas gets too much credit. I think the 2D games have aged better than the 3D games, but each to their own.

• Yinepi likes this

Verdant
  • Verdant

Boomshine Blowout

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:00 AM

GTA 1: Where it all begun for me. Great game for it's time, but I don't think I can go back to it in this day and age with how much games have advanced.

GTA ll: Only played a small portion of the game, so their isn't much I can say from my personal experience but sometime, somewhere, somehow I'll probably get around to it again.

GTA lll: Just finished another play through of it November last year. Still a classic to me, and was amazing when it first came out.

GTA VC: My favorite GTA. The soundtrack is amazing, and I can will never get enough of it. Tommy Vercetti was done really well.

GTA SA: I play it here and there, mainly on role play servers on SAMP. Some of the characters I liked and found quite funny like Toreno, Kent Paul and Maccer. Some missions were quite entertaining others pissed you off and felt quite pointless.

GTA LCS: The mafia approach was cool, but for some reason I find this GTA quite hard to get back into and enjoy it.

GTA VCS: It didn't have that feel that Vice City has. Some characters were nicely done. I will give credit to the empire building system in this game. That's what I really want to return in GTA 6.

IV: It's not completely perfect imo. However, after my second play through I really started to enjoy the storyline and some of the decisions the player needs to make.

TLAD: Very enjoyable. One of my favorite DLC's for a video game. I felt like the characters, missions were executed well.

TBOGT: That glitz and glamour feel was captured really well imo, but the rest was 'meh' to me. I found Luis to be quite boring and probably would've preferred this DLC to be about one McReary brothers and their events before Niko arrived in Liberty City or something like that.

GTA V: When it first came out, I absolutely loved it. Over time it started to get a little boring for me. I might turn it on every once in a while  as I still need to get that 100% and I might replay some missions to pass time.

GTA Online: Played a bit of it at a friends house. It never really caught my attention. Some of the new updates that come out for Online are pretty cool I will admit, like the Lowrider DLC.

GTA 6: Will have to wait and see. As of now, I'm hoping it is set in Vice City.

• MiamiViceCity, Al3x_XXI, SmokesWithCigs and 1 other like this

ExTerminator
  • ExTerminator

Heil Houser!

• Members
  • South-Ossetia

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:22 AM

GTA : A game which was great for it's time. It doesn't appeal anyone these days. Sadly, it's time is up.

GTA London mission packs : Never played.

GTA II : Never played, so can't really say anything.

GTA III : Revolutionary game, but being R*'s first foray into making a 3D open world game with a proper story, there were a few annoyances. GTA III is a classic which hasn't aged well.

GTA VC: Amazing game and my favorite. It's not much different from III, and it has obviously ripped off Scarface's story; but in the end, it's a brilliant game with equally brilliant characters and it really captured the feel of the 80s Miami.

GTA A: Just as OP said, it's only worth it if you are a die hard GTA or GTA 3 fan. Different story than the other games, and it can be quite tiresome to play.

GTA SA: An overrated game. The storyline is long and tedious, with 100+ missions, several of them are pointless. The game mechanics are not that fluid and the weapon, vehicle and pedestrians don't sound well. Some of the characters can be said the best in a GTA game, while some are literally the worst. Still the second best map in the series IMO, with a perfect balance between city and countryside. Obviously the customization, jets and jet-packs equals to god-like protagonist, greatest story ever and freedom.

GTA LCS : Not really a GTA game I enjoyed. Exchanged it, and never looked back.

GTA VCS : Never played.

GTA IV: A legendary game, and the best in the series. I personally liked the focus towards realism than content or story. The near-perfect story feels new everytime you play. IV's rendition of Liberty City is much better than III's, and everything in the game matched my personal tastes. Though the PC port was quite horrible.

GTA TLAD : I am not really into biker gangs, but I still loved the game. Amazing story, with quite interesting side missions and content. It's a great DLC for a great game. 

GTA TBOGT: Played it only once, but from what I've seen in the internet, I say that this game is just a mix of SA and IV, leaning a lot more towards SA. While some missions are exciting, the story overall is quite dull and boring. Luis isn't that interesting too. The only thing which saves the poor story is Yusuf Amir. It also has a different story compared to IV and TLAD, as it's the only game in the three to have a positive ending. 

GTA CTW: I consider this game to be the HD universe counterpart of GTA A. Some features are enjoyable, but I'm not a fan of mobile gaming, so can't really say anything.

GTA V: Similar to SA, this game is overrated and also overhyped. Being one of the best looking games ever doesn't help to hide the poor story, cringe-worthy characters, poor mission structure and dumbed down physics and gameplay elements. Mind blowing at the first week of playthough, then starts to get boring. Uses the same formula as SA and TBOGT - create a game with over-the-top unrealistic missions and characters. The success it has now is just due to being the latest GTA game, it's big but small map and Online, which people confuse with V.

GTA O: Played it briefly, but did not enjoy it that much. Enjoyable when playing with the right set of friends, frustrating when playing with randoms. Offers tons of stuff which should have been in V. 

GTA VI : All I want is the SP gameplay to not be restricted due to some Online bulls**t. 

• MiamiViceCity, HaythamKenway and Videogames888 like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:30 AM

I don't see how San Andreas is underrated in any way, shape or form. It's not like it was universally panned on release and years after people are just discovering everything it has to offer.

If San Andreas is underrated I can't imagine how LCS, VCS, GTAA and CTW fans must feel. Poor bastards. :(
  • Mr. Fartenhate and Uncle Vlad like this

Uncle Vlad
  • Uncle Vlad

annoying dick

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:44 AM

If San Andreas is underrated I can't imagine how LCS, VCS, GTAA and CTW fans must feel. Poor bastards. :(

GTA Advance fans? For real? We should perform an intervention on SOL, he´s definitely on something bad that is messing with his head. :p

• MiamiViceCity and PhillBellic like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:48 AM

GTA Advance fans? For real? We should perform an intervention on SOL, he´s definitely on something bad that is messing with his head. :p

Hey. That's not very nice. There could be some GTAA fans out there you know.. I'm trying to give everyone a fair go here.

• Tomasak, Uncle Vlad and Videogames888 like this

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

Time moves forward, nothing changes.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:50 AM Edited by Payne Killer, 26 February 2017 - 01:09 AM.

GTA III - Was the sh*t when I was a kid, but it got kind of stale after all these years, I just prefer VC over it.

GTA VC - I remember playing it for hours when I was little, coming home from school and all that sh*t, The story was cool and I loved how Tommy and Lance bonded.

GTA SA - Same as VC, just with more stuff to do with a lame protaganist.

GTA VCS - I loved this one, one of my personal favorites, it improved upon a lot from VC and added more. Its still fun to this day.

GTA LCS - Its ok, Toni was cool but i dont remember much else. (I replayed this game a few months ago, best of the 3d era)

GTA IV/EFLC - I love these three but I prefer IV the most, the story was engaging and the gameplay is the best in the series. Niko is the best of them all.

GTA V - Piece of sh*t, but its good as a game not related to GTA. If you can think of it like that, I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10, I still haven't played the newer version so I cant say anything about that.
  • MiamiViceCity, anthony, HaythamKenway and 3 others like this

Uncle Vlad
  • Uncle Vlad

annoying dick

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:13 AM

Hey. That's not very nice. There could be some GTAA fans out there you know.. I'm trying to give everyone a fair go here.

Oh, it seems that I hit a sore point there....IV and VC my ass, in reality you´re a big GTA Advance fanboy at heart! At least you should stand by your predictions.

Okay, back to topic, before you put the ban hammer out (hey, could´ve been worse, I said "GTA Advance" and not "Trevor").

• MiamiViceCity and Videogames888 like this

Pavle
  • Pavle

The Prodigal Son

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Serbia
  • Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Shania Twain Superfan
    Biggest Profile Stalker 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Serb 2015
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

Guess I forgot to post about London '61, '69, Advance and the EFLC games...

London packs: I played them for a bit, and I kinda enjoyed it, but it's literally GTA 1 with different missions.

Advance: Played it via emulator, and ehhhhhhh...didn't really enjoy it...

EFLC: Two great but very short games. TLaD was good, I liked the biker theme, the new bikes, weapons, gang wars and even cars. Also really liked that filter thing that R* used on the camera. TBoGT, I liked better. Missions that were way more fun, drug wars, dancing, parachuting, new helicopters, overpowered guns, and a lot of other stuff. In both games there are really annoying missions, but overall they're both good.

Uncle Vlad
  • Uncle Vlad

annoying dick

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:57 AM

Grand Theft Auto, II, London 1969 and 1961: Had much fun with them back in the days. Couldn´t imagine that the series will become such a big thing and that I´ll still playing it almost 20 years later.

III : A new era, it has been a blast, although sometimes the difficulty was frustrating. Still going back to it on my PS4 and having fun.

VC: Just brilliant, my 2nd favourite GTA. A Miami Vice fan´s dream game. The 80s, the atmosphere, the soundtrack, Tommy Vercetti...pure awesomeness.

Advance. It was okay to give the GTA series a try on Game Boy. But don´t do that ever again. Please.

SA: I really like the gang theme, the map and the incredible amount of content. Not all of the content was great, but since there´s so much of it, there´s something for everyone to enjoy. Didn´t like CJ too much (I´d prefer playing as Sweet), but now I know that it could´ve been worse (*cough*Frankling*cough). SA is still fun for me, an all-time classic and my 3rd favourite GTA (along with VCS).

LCS: I love mafia-themed games, but LCS didn´t blow me away. It was alright, but not too great.

VCS: A stunner, the 80s, the atmosphere, the soundtrack, no Tommy Vercetti but Phil Collins. My 3rd favourite GTA game along with SA.

IV: My all-time favourite, never gets old for me.

TLAD : Although it´s just a DLC, almost as good as IV.

TBOGT: Not as brilliant as IV or TLaD, nonetheless a very good game and fun to play.

CTW: I´m absolutely no fan of mobile gaming, but CTW was fun. In my opinion it´s a very underrated game.

V: It seems that people either love or hate it with passion. I´m far from hating V, but I think it has so much wasted potential. It had the potential to be the best GTA game ever, but the short story that feels way too rushed after "Friends Reunited" and the dumbed down physics and car damage kinda ruin it for me. Still a very good game and fun to play, but it makes me sad that it could be so much more.

GTAO: Wasn´t interested in GTAO and won´t be interested in the future. Wouldn´t care about it but they way they handled it with V and O they divided the GTA community. And that´s a bad thing.

• MiamiViceCity, HaythamKenway, Journey_95 and 4 others like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

San Andreas is not a good game. Yes they went for quantity, there was no quality. You may have fun with the game, but in my eyes SA and V are the same in the making. Just for fun, for kids...

What makes VC and III so much better that you don't find quality in SA?
Technically, SA offers many improvements over III and VC on consoles. For PC, its a different story. It can be modded and the quality can be improved even more that puts even IV to shame.
In fact, GTA IVs quality isn't great and suffers from a number of performance and technical issues for a game that was touted as a "next gen" experience during release, both on the consoles and the PC port.
From the slow ass movements ( worse than swift and fluid on foot movements in SA ) and clunky controls, mediocre shooting experience to the exaggerated physics, overrated driving mechanics, sh*tty reset system, sh*tty character models, poor cover system, problems of getting constant phone calls from friends, bad collision detection ( worse than SA ), too many animations for things that should be quick and easy to interact similar to 3D Era games, dumb AI ( take a look at the sh*tty AI of the street races in IV which is worse than SA ) and a host of other issues, that doesn't really make GTA IV as impressive on technical grounds as people keep trying to make others believe with "quality over quantity" in thinking that it makes a valid argument to exaggerate the differences between IV and 3D Era.
You can keep fooling yourselves not to those who realize how worse IV appears in terms of quality, even in certain ways over 3D era titles.
Apart from the changes to the driving, vigilante format, graphics ( even that is subjective and have met criticisms ), introduction of physics ( still problematic ), and fancy cut scenes, nothing is really great about IVs quality.
If you mean by removing certain features/missions to offer quantity in limited number over SA = quality, then that's just a bogus argument and nobody should take that seriously. Its a stupid argument that I've been reading over the years from many people who don't have any argument that makes sense for defending the lack of things to do in IV, disregarding the criticisms about offering nothing new nor improvements to whatever little the game has to offer in quantity. Its just rehashing of old vine in a new bottle that offers wine in limited ( quantity ) amount despite the huge costs, better technology and packaging involved in making that "new bottle" which SA managed to offer in half the price. :lol:
Street races are a perfect example about IVs quality. Its not about the number of races in IV but whatever races are there are absolutely dumbed down, compared to the amazing street races in SA, which were more challenging as well.
Also, I don't understand why people keep targeting kids?
Kids enjoy other games over IV because it sucks in the fun department, plain and simple. No amount of graphics and physics can turn them into playing it.
3D era games are still much more fun and appeal to every body from kids to adults.
  • otachi likes this

otachi
  • otachi

Bring out the gimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:16 AM

I don't see how San Andreas is underrated in any way, shape or form. It's not like it was universally panned on release and years after people are just discovering everything it has to offer.

Read again,i said it's underrated in gtaforums,but universally loved.

otachi
  • otachi

Bring out the gimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

San Andreas is not a good game. Yes they went for quantity, there was no quality. You may have fun with the game, but in my eyes SA and V are the same in the making. Just for fun, for kids...

What makes VC and III so much better that you don't find quality in SA?
Technically, SA offers many improvements over III and VC on consoles. For PC, its a different story. It can be modded and the quality can be improved even more that puts even IV to shame.
In fact, GTA IVs quality isn't great and suffers from a number of performance and technical issues for a game that was touted as a "next gen" experience during release, both on the consoles and the PC port.
From the slow ass movements ( worse than swift and fluid on foot movements in SA ) and clunky controls, mediocre shooting experience to the exaggerated physics, overrated driving mechanics, sh*tty reset system, sh*tty character models, poor cover system, problems of getting constant phone calls from friends, bad collision detection ( worse than SA ), too many animations for things that should be quick and easy to interact similar to 3D Era games, dumb AI ( take a look at the sh*tty AI of the street races in IV which is worse than SA ) and a host of other issues, that doesn't really make GTA IV as impressive on technical grounds as people keep trying to make others believe with "quality over quantity" in thinking that it makes a valid argument to exaggerate the differences between IV and 3D Era.
You can keep fooling yourselves not to those who realize how worse IV appears in terms of quality, even in certain ways over 3D era titles.
Apart from the changes to the driving, vigilante format, graphics ( even that is subjective and have met criticisms ), introduction of physics ( still problematic ), and fancy cut scenes, nothing is really great about IVs quality.
If you mean by removing certain features/missions to offer quantity in limited number over SA = quality, then that's just a bogus argument and nobody should take that seriously. Its a stupid argument that I've been reading over the years from many people who don't have any argument that makes sense for defending the lack of things to do in IV, disregarding the criticisms about offering nothing new nor improvements to whatever little the game has to offer in quantity. Its just rehashing of old vine in a new bottle that offers wine in limited ( quantity ) amount despite the huge costs, better technology and packaging involved in making that "new bottle" which SA managed to offer in half the price. :lol:
Street races are a perfect example about IVs quality. Its not about the number of races in IV but whatever races are there are absolutely dumbed down, compared to the amazing street races in SA, which were more challenging as well.
Also, I don't understand why people keep targeting kids?
Kids enjoy other games over IV because it sucks in the fun department, plain and simple. No amount of graphics and physics can turn them into playing it.
3D era games are still much more fun and appeal to every body from kids to adults.

Even though i don't agree with everything you said,but you still made some solid points

Like how people treat a game that have less quantity to say it's a quality game (bullsh*t)

Iv had many problems in terms of fun,just like you said street races,they were really dumbed down,i beat every race using a f*cking taxi against sport cars and other,the vigilante missions were endless but extremely repetitive,the drug missions were also repetitive,cars thefts and exports are nothing to mention,in sa it was challenging because you had to transport a vehicle from a city to another (or even more) with no damages.......Now tell me where the quality in that??

now that being said,i still like iv very much,some people hated the main missions,but i like them,especially the missions were you can end them by different ways (few were special tho),the gameplay wasn't bad at all so as the driving,but they had some problems.

• Osho likes this

Yorpie
  • Yorpie

I fought the law and the law lost.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:09 AM

III - Having played this one after having played Vice City I found it underwhelming at first, but that was a long time ago. As time passed, I got older and I learned about the influence had and accepted it for what it was. After a while I decided to give this game another go and its amazing, already got 100% on it twice. This is GTA at its best imo, what it should be. Its simple, but fun, cool side missions and story, getting money for blowing up cars and doing crazy stunts. I love this game, currently playing it again (with tons of mods this time, but doing my best to keep the feel).

VC - This was my first GTA ever. Back in the PS2 days, I played it so much I managed to get through 2 discs, both of them got errors after a while. I completed this game I think 2 times, once 100%. This game is my childhood, it might be 18+ but I got this from my dad close to when it was released when I was about 7 years old, I don't regret a thing. This is the gem that got me into GTA. First time I saw it was on TV, a commercial where the player was in a tank running over stuff, I immediately wanted it. When I first got it, I just spend days and days just driving around. As my first open world game, the freedom is what attracted me. Now today, I still love this game. While III was crazy at its best, this game defenitly gets the top score for feeling. Just the atmosphere, with the music and all the bright colors, the characters, the city,... this game is just beautiful. Just like III, still playing this today, also with mods and also trying my best to stick to the lore ;)

SA - This game, this was the bomb. Personally my favourite GTA, this easily picks the top spot. I'll be honest, in terms of feels, wackiness and characters, I would choose other GTAs, but when it comes to what I love doing the most, just exploring and messing around, this game takes the top spot. The map is great, I love the countryside, driving around the small country roads with K-Rose on the background. I love the cities, I love the desert, this game just had it all. The story wasn't the best, it was more there to guide you through the gameplay mechanics and the map, but it did the job and some of my favourite missions are in this game. I especially liked the first part of the game with seet, ryder and smoke etc... Woozie, Truth, Caesar,... there were some cool characters in the game. However a lot of the other ones were forgettable imo, nothing that made them really stand out like characters from previous games, like Lance Vance, Diaz, etc... But like I said, for the free roam this picks top spot, with the varied map, lots of tools to play with like the jetpack etc... Just an awesome game which I've must have spend thousands of hours in. And with the huge modding capabilities this game has, the hours just keep on coming.

LCS - Not much to say about this. Okay game, had a few laughs with it, but never completed it. Maybe I should, still got the PS2 copy right here. But it just seems to be here for the sake of having a GTA on PSP, tbh.

VCS - A bit like LCS, but then better. This game I did complete. It was cool, must've been amazing on PSP, on PS2 well it was cool but having a game like SA or VC before this makes this one just another GTA to me. The whole criminal empire thing was cool though.

IV - I really like this game. I really do. I'll be honest, when this first game out I found it underwhelming, a bit boring compared to previous games, especially with this new era. But just like with III, I learned to love this game and pay attention to the amount of detail etc... The story to me is great, it had some really great characters in there and Niko has to be my personal favorite protagonist. His hunt for that special someone, his story about the pasts, arriving in LC,... I really felt with this character, must be the only GTA where I really was involved in the story. The supporting characters were also well done imo, Roman, Brucie, Packie,.. I just love this game. On terms of free roam, this one does fall pretty low, its fun for having a shootout every now and then and enjoying the ciyt but that sadly is about it. But like before, playing around with mods I've also spend a good amount of hours with this game.

TLAD - A worthy DLC, I found Johnny a good character and loved the motorcycle club, it is something fresh. The other members like Terry and Clay were also well designed and the new feel to the game, another view on LC, really made this an awesome DLC.

TBoGT - A good DLC, it was a nice addition to finish of the IV storyline. The story itself was nothing to special and some of the characters were just mediocre. Gay Tony and Yusuf Amir were cool though. What I liked about this DLC which made it a good finisher is the new toys you get, like the APC, buzzard, auto shotty with explosive ammo, parachutes, MG,... And also just the general higher level of wackiness compared to the original IV did make this a nice experience.

CTW - I like this game to, I'm still busy completing it but I just like the overall style of the game. The story, well, I kinda forgot about that, nothing that really amazes me but just the general style of the game as well as some of the things to do like the drug deals and the minigames like carjackings etc... make this a special game, a really fun one to.

V - Idk, while I have put a lot of hours in this game and think its cool, it honestly never really amazed me. The story, well, idk. I really really liked the beginning of the game, were Franklin and Michael meet, with Lamar doing some stupid sh*t that gets them in trouble and Michael pulling the house down etc... And the first missions with Trevor were cool to, but then the FIB comes in and its just not fun anymore to me. Sure there were some cool parts, like the Blitz Play and the Paleto Score, but overall I just didn't really like this part anymore. Everything seems just to.. personal. While in previous games you would just do missions for numerous characters to earn money, in this game its a different story. Also the side quests weren't something to write home about. Yoga, golf, etc... I mean seriously? Don't get me wrong, I really liked the tennis minigame and the golf I had fun with to once I got the hang of it, but being forced to complete them to 100% just doesn't fit in a game like this to me. And don't get me started about the amount of collectibles. In older titles we had some really cool side quests, like stadium events and vigilante and all that. 
Also the map itself could've been done better. Don't get me wrong, there is an amazing amount of detail put into the map and sure its the biggest one, but still. The SA map in scale is smaller then this game but that one felt complete with all the different cities, towns and such... V feels like it could use an expansion or two, with at least another city. The countryside is cool but it could use some areas like a really dense forest and defenitly some more towns. I would have preferred if they wouldn't have put so much effort in the underwater area and instead would have put that effort in further improving the map itself.

• HaythamKenway and theGTAking101 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users