• Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:39 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 21 April 2017 - 12:46 PM.

Tonight!

Lyrid meteor shower. Best seen from Europe, looking East. Up to around 20 meteors can be seen per hour. Best seen before dawn. Saturn is also having a close encounter with Earth. Bust your telescopes out! Mars is also view-able and should be good to view tonight. 

http://www.space.com...ower-guide.html

Lyrids_radiant_point.jpeg

• El Diablo, Payne Killer and russeler97 like this

Pete4000uk
  • Pete4000uk

Soldier

• GTAF Crew
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

I'm so glad we are able to witness and appreciate the amazing things around us.
The Cassini probe which has taught us do much about Saturn is flying between the gas giant and IRS rings

'This is it! Through the gap between #Saturn and its rings. Instruments are on, but we're out of contact with Earth. Here we goooooo!'
  • El Diablo and Mister Pink like this

enormous
  • enormous

not actually enormous

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

I'm so glad we are able to witness and appreciate the amazing things around us.
The Cassini probe which has taught us do much about Saturn is flying between the gas giant and IRS rings

'This is it! Through the gap between #Saturn and its rings. Instruments are on, but we're out of contact with Earth. Here we goooooo!'

NASA has produced a video about that.

• El Diablo and russeler97 like this

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:53 AM Edited by RARusk, 29 April 2017 - 12:53 AM.

Processed image of Saturn's outer rings viewed over the planet's dark horizon.

saturnering-e1493412443312.jpg

• El Diablo and russeler97 like this

russeler97
  • russeler97

<>

• Members
  • None
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:00 AM Edited by russeler97, 04 May 2017 - 11:03 AM.

This is interesting: The Overview effect

"The overview effect is a cognitive shift in awareness reported by some astronauts and cosmonauts during spaceflight, often while viewing the Earth from orbit or from the lunar surface.

It refers to the experience of seeing firsthand the reality of the Earth in space, which is immediately understood to be a tiny, fragile ball of life, "hanging in the void", shielded and nourished by a paper-thin atmosphere. From space, national boundaries vanish, the conflicts that divide people become less important, and the need to create a planetary society with the united will to protect this "pale blue dot" becomes both obvious and imperative"

I've obviously never been into space but I can relate to that feeling.  

1398245798_53be956505_o.jpg

• El Diablo, Kippers, Mister Pink and 1 other like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:24 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 04 May 2017 - 12:25 PM.

This is interesting: The Overview effect

"The overview effect is a cognitive shift in awareness reported by some astronauts and cosmonauts during spaceflight, often while viewing the Earth from orbit or from the lunar surface.

It refers to the experience of seeing firsthand the reality of the Earth in space, which is immediately understood to be a tiny, fragile ball of life, "hanging in the void", shielded and nourished by a paper-thin atmosphere. From space, national boundaries vanish, the conflicts that divide people become less important, and the need to create a planetary society with the united will to protect this "pale blue dot" becomes both obvious and imperative"

I've obviously never been into space but I can relate to that feeling.  

Reminds me of something similar.. I mean the profound effects space has on people..

There's this amazing short podcast of astronaut Dave Wolf recounting his first spacewalk....he describes how the shadows are the blackest, there's no reflected light if your arm goes in tot the shadow it disappears. 

200 miles above Earth's surface, astronaut Dave Wolf -- rocketing through the blackness of Earth's shadow at 5 miles a second -- floated out of the Mir Space Station on his very first spacewalk. In this short, he describes the extremes of light and dark in space, relives a heart-pounding close call, and shares one of the most tranquil moments of his life...

...Out in blackness of space, the contrast between light and dark is almost unimaginably extreme -- every 45 minutes, you plunge between absolute darkness on the night-side of Earth, and blazing light as the sun screams into view. Dave and Anatoly were tethered to the spacecraft, traveling 5 miles per second. That's 16 times faster than we travel on Earth's surface as it rotates -- so as they orbited, they experienced 16 nights and 16 days for every Earth day.

http://www.radiolab....ark-side-earth/

s127e007210_1.jpg

• El Diablo, Kippers, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

russeler97
  • russeler97

<>

• Members
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

Just amazing...

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:18 PM

https://en.wikipedia...iki/MACS0647-JD

Researcher have identified the furthest ever galaxy discovered in space - a staggering 13.3 billion light-years from Earth. The galaxy was observed around 420 million years after the Big Bang when the universe was just 3% of its current age. Astronomers have calculated the galaxy is a 13.3 billion light-years from Earth with a single light-year representing 5,878,625 million miles.

It was spotted using NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope and the Spitzer Space Telescope. Scientists say the object is in the first stages of galaxy formation with analysis showing it is less than 600 light-years across. Our galaxy, the Milky Way, is 150,000 light-years across with the Solar System a third of the age of the newly discovered galaxy. Astronomers spent months ruling out alternative explanations for the object’s identity - such as red stars, brown dwarfs, and red galaxies - to conclude it was a very distant and elderly galaxy.

Ca0I7pP.jpg

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:20 AM

..a staggering 13.3 billion light-years from Earth..

My mind is blown. 

Spoiler

I'm also amazed that the light can travel so far that's it's identifiable to us.

• Travedge likes this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:48 AM

I'm also amazed that the light can travel so far that's it's identifiable to us.

Unlike most everything else, light doesn't age. At all. Ever. It can get absorbed along the way, but if it makes it to us at all, it's exactly the same light that left its origin all these billions of years ago. The only other thing with this quality is gravity itself. Everything else is either confined or ages. Even neutrinos lose their flavor after a while.

russeler97
  • russeler97

<>

• Members
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:31 PM

Travedge
  • Travedge

A man in motion feels no emotion

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:39 AM Edited by Travedge, 24 May 2017 - 04:40 AM.

I wish humanity would get its sh*t together an see the bigger picture. So much to explore....

russeler97
  • russeler97

<>

• Members
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:20 AM

stratolaunch-rollout.jpg

That's one big-ass plane!

http://www.thedrive....-the-first-time

• Darth Absentis likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:25 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 09 July 2017 - 01:25 AM.

I witnessed an iridium flare tonight! Was spectacular! It was completely by chance. I've been doing some long exposure time lapses out my back yard. I was setting my camera up, waiting for the moon to come in to frame for my shot. In the corner of my eye I spotted what I thought was a super bright star I hadn't noticed. It was about 23:45 so the sun was down about 1.5hrs and there is a full moon so the sky wasn't too dark. Anyway this bright "star" just got brighter and brighter and then disappeared. The sky was too light polluted for me to see satellite continue on or to see it move. It just looks like a star getting super bright then disappearing. 

Iridium flares are bright reflections of sunlight off flat panels on Iridium communications satellites. For a brief period, they can reach magnitude -8.5, around 1000 times brighter than the brightest star in the sky. They are akin to someone shining reflected sunlight off a watch face straight into your eyes - only this time the "watch face" is a metre-wide flat metal panel about 500km above the surface of the Earth.

There is a possibility that it was a meteor coming towards me at such an angle that the trail was obscured but looking at videos of other iridium flares, I'm confident it was a light flare from a satellite. It all happened in about 3 seconds. 

I found a video to show what it was like. It doesn't look like much in a video but seeing it yourself, it's pretty f*cking cool. 

• Vanilla Shake and Payne Killer like this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 4 days ago

I'm hitting the hill tonight to try to see the Perseid Meter Shower.

So long as the skies are clear, they should be visible throughout the northern hemisphere. The Meteors will come from the north but will be best seen in the east or west as they streak through the upper atmosphere.

Powerful telescopes won't be needed but binoculars will come in handy.

• El Diablo, Mister Pink and Neon_Dreaming like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 3 days ago

I was hoping to see some action tonight myself but it's still pretty cloudy. I have my camera and tripod, just in case. I can set the intervalometer on my camera to make 10 second exposures every 12 seconds. Bound to catch something if I leave it there long enough.

Pete4000uk
  • Pete4000uk

Soldier

• GTAF Crew
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 days ago

I would like to see a crescent of a exoplanet and be able to see its colour and atmosphere before I die.

Also iridium flares are great, saw a triangle formation one once. It was a bit spooky

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users