Photo

Where you think rockstar went wrong?

79 replies to this topic
Gtaultimatefanboy
  • Gtaultimatefanboy

Off-topic Hater.

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:39 PM Edited by Gtaultimatefanboy, 23 June 2016 - 07:39 PM.

Where they went wrong? GTA V, definately.

You wrote GTA Online wrong  :cool:

• Street Mix, PhillBellic, TheRealSnitch and 2 others like this

Fooking Rekt
  • Fooking Rekt

Special Vehicle Collector

• BUSTED!
  • GoSquared

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

Where they went wrong? GTA V, definately.

You wrote GTA Online wrong  :cool:

GTA V was before Online.

RockstarGamesGuy
  • RockstarGamesGuy

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:58 AM

ive got say i love the discussion im seeing with this topic although i don't think rockstar went wrong. and its unfortunate im a little late on this but i personally have never had problems with rockstar support other than they have never sent me stickers when i requested them xD

Black_Jesus
  • Black_Jesus

Florida Cracker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:36 PM Edited by Black_Jesus, 25 June 2016 - 12:36 PM.

You guys have to understand Take2 calls the shots.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:06 AM

https://www.glassdoo...RVW11032243.htm

They go wrong here too. Not a sign of change.
  • Street Mix and Switch like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:50 PM

Who here can honestly say that they will not buy the next GTA game, even if it has as much of an online focus?

If you honestly, truly, believe that you're not going to buy and play the next game because of online, you're lying to yourself very effectively. 

Where did R* go wrong? Hard to say, but if I had to lay the blame at one specific thing, it wouldn't be a Table Tennis game from over 10 years ago, considering all of the incredible games they released after it. Maybe they listened too much to fans who have no idea what it takes to make a video game requesting things that didn't all work out when put in the same product?

• Spider-Vice, Raj Brunner and Thesmophoriazusae like this

Maibatsu545
  • Maibatsu545

veritas vos liberabit

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:21 PM Edited by Maibatsu545, 01 July 2016 - 06:22 PM.

I would probably eventually still buy the next GTA, (long after its release and all the DLC milking has been released), just second hand or from a friend who is selling it so Rockstar/Take2 get none of my money.
  • Michael likes this

ULPaperContact
  • ULPaperContact

Proti všem tyranům, pro boha a zemi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:29 PM

GTA 5 is where they went wrong.

Plus the Benz.

Michael
  • Michael

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

One of the points where I think Rockstar did screw up was with The Benz. Out of nowhere, we knew more about Rockstar Games and the Housers because of the law suit. And of course the cash cards.

C4R3ON
  • C4R3ON

What are u lookin at?

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

Online.

• gamerzworld, Rocket Skates, Misunderstood and 1 other like this

Cluckin' Bell
  • Cluckin' Bell

Bullsh*t at Bullworth

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:43 PM

When did R* start to f*ck up? When GTA Online debuted.

• Misunderstood and TheRealSnitch like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

It was mine, Cactus Wine!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

When did R* start to f*ck up? When GTA V debuted.

Fixed :p

• Cluckin' Bell likes this

Cluckin' Bell
  • Cluckin' Bell

Bullsh*t at Bullworth

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:29 PM

When did R* start to f*ck up? When the GTA V writers jotted down Johnny Klebitz' death.

fixed it.

• B Dawg, PhillBellic, Switch and 1 other like this

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:52 AM

To be honest, I preferred the charismatic, dry humor of Vice City than the vulgar, obscene humor that is prevalent in GTA today. It's really easy to make a bunch of sex jokes and 69 puns, but it's not easy to write the kind of humor that was in the older games.

Other thing is the older games (all older PC games of that era) had sh*tty graphics. So by default, R* devs had to compensate with the classic GTA humor in order to differentiate themselves as an adult adventure/action genre.

But as the GTA franchise began to dominate the action market segment of the industry, complacency crept in.  And that's where creative control of the game got transferred from the software devs to the management IMO.  Someone posted an interesting link about R* as an employer on Glassdoor. I was shocked to see just how similar all the software dev complaints were to an industry gorilla like EABorg. The same slave tactics Exceptional Assholes management had in driving away the best talent in the industry appears to be now happening at R*.  :/

Today, the game's graphics are damned near realistic--at the expense of the QUALITY of the game's mechanics/ PC story.  The 3 PC story was very shallow and felt incredibly rushed.  Despite R* going overboard to make Trevor a complete lunatic, all 3 PCs were completely forgettable (with Franklin being the most boring of the 3). But the industry has extremely changed since SA. And when you add the pressure software devs face with rising dev costs, trying to attract & maintain best industry talent, outsourcing/laying off workers to cut costs, AND an impatient console gamer culture to release new content/titles on a monthly to yearly basis. That basically puts R* on the road to peredition IMO. Heck it wouldn't surprise me if they went full EABorg by GTA VI release and start micro-purchasing all DLC content, given the way they've managed GTAO.

With the exception of a few content like the yachts, recent VIP missions (that actually ENCOURAGE players to work together for once in public lobbies) and customizable safe houses, each DLC release for GTAO gets shallower and shallower.  Same damned supers with slightly different meshes and shiny colored textures. Same damned weapons with variants of the mesh/textures.  Same trivial game play in the "new" contact missions aka go here, fetch X and/or kill all of Y and return to me for payment.

It all boils down to the way R* choose to design GTA V compared to SA.  The former gives the player a painfully linear, highly predictable and non playable experience.  The latter gave the player a highly creative, open world, highly customizable, RP intensive AND INTERACTIVE sandbox game with hundreds of hours in content. Thanks to all the cut/undeveloped content which made modding SP so memorable (Hot Coffee and modders like PatrickW for starters).

Got GTA V at midnight of release expecting to get a full 20 pc bucket of KFC with corn on the cobb, mash potates n gravy, and coleslaw. Some 40 game hours later (after dragging out completing SP for 2 agonizing weeks) I realized I didn't even get the value of a Happy Meal.  I truly believed I'd be getting a GOTY the scope and dynamics of SA--with the beautiful graphics of GTA V. 

Ah well. PT Barnum said it best.  There is a sucker born every minute.   :miranda:

• Spaghetti Cat, PhillBellic, Maibatsu545 and 1 other like this

JosephStalin
  • JosephStalin

Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.

• BUSTED!
  • Russia

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:06 AM Edited by FuckingYokel, 07 July 2016 - 03:46 AM.

No way will it hurt future sales.

OT 

San Andreas, really bad story after the first part, which at times was simply Ludacris, and just packed with gimmicky features & content which I never thought were all that and which are not needed IMO IV was an absolute breath of fresh air. 

But I don't think Rockstar went wrong with San Andreas as such, in some ways, it was a good game just not MY cup of tea.

A developer getting something wrong for instance would be volition making abominations like saints row the turd & 4 which ruined a good series, R* have never gone wrong to that extent.

• MiamiViceCity and PkUnzipper like this

FRANKLINCLINTON2
  • FRANKLINCLINTON2

Peon

• BUSTED!
  • Bangladesh

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:17 AM Edited by FRANKLINCLINTON2, 07 July 2016 - 04:18 AM.

In my thought,Friends,Rockstar went bad when they started to release Max Pyne or it can be because of releasing Midnight Club

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:25 PM

It depends on your perspective.  As a fan of single player experiences I think they went wrong when they began to focus primarily on pushing shark cards.  I don't have a stake in their company, though.  From a shareholder's perspective, however, shark cards have no doubt been a great source of profit.

Table Tennis probably cost very little to make and no doubt made a profit.  That's what it's all about.

TheRealSnitch
  • TheRealSnitch

BUFF THE BRICKADE!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

GTA Online is definitely where they f*cked up for me. Don't get me wrong I loved the first year or so of Online but now it's just getting ridiculous on how much they're milking it. I'm starting to get concerned if this is how we'll be experiencing GTA games from now on ; no well crafted story telling or characters and instead just a complete grind fest of a multiplayer... 

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

FRANKLINCLINTON2
  • FRANKLINCLINTON2

Peon

• BUSTED!
  • Bangladesh

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:18 AM

Rockstar games can be good,If they stop gta devoloping for some time

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:00 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 15 July 2016 - 01:00 AM.

No way will it hurt future sales.

OT 

San Andreas, really bad story after the first part, which at times was simply Ludacris, and just packed with gimmicky features & content which I never thought were all that and which are not needed IMO IV was an absolute breath of fresh air. 

But I don't think Rockstar went wrong with San Andreas as such, in some ways, it was a good game just not MY cup of tea.

A developer getting something wrong for instance would be volition making abominations like saints row the turd & 4 which ruined a good series, R* have never gone wrong to that extent.

Will be interesting to see how far Mafia 3 ends up devolving into.  From first impressions: a completely superficial, super mario kart style arcade game 

What a way to kill a franchise that had one of the best, most well developed story lines for multiple protagonists (Tommy, Vito, Joe/Jimmy) the way Mafia 1 & 2 had.  Mafia 3 looks like cheap spaghetti code that was cobbed together.   :/

Achlys
  • Achlys

I Can Tell You're Curious, It's Written On Your Lips

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:35 PM

The day they decided to create GTAO...

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:32 AM Edited by AUScowboy, 24 August 2016 - 07:33 AM.

By oh so clearly teasing a big, gigantic metaphysical mystery based EE and never finishing it all the while still leaving a lot of hints/clues in the game. Chiliad mystery now screams cut content with what we have now for perspective on V/gtao. Have to say that shattered the shiny illusion i had built up over fifteen years of loyal patronage. Surprised nobody else cared enough to mention chiliad mural/EE Conclusion and inevitable rewards...

Original Light
  • Original Light

You Float Like a Feather

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

As the saying goes "it's just business". They don't care about us, the player, as much as you'd like to think. They're in it for the money.

From a business standpoint, GTA Online is a brilliant concept. They're able to make a lot of money without having to develop resource demanding content. The so called "DLC" that they make is so simple and it hardly costs them anything to produce it. The shark cards practically sell themselves. So their return on investment is very substantial. I personally would never buy "fake money" with my real hard earned money, but people will continue to do so and support their business practices. 

• Spider-Vice likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

As the saying goes "it's just business". They don't care about us, the player, as much as you'd like to think. They're in it for the money.

From a business standpoint, GTA Online is a brilliant concept. They're able to make a lot of money without having to develop resource demanding content. The so called "DLC" that they make is so simple and it hardly costs them anything to produce it. The shark cards practically sell themselves. So their return on investment is very substantial. I personally would never buy "fake money" with my real hard earned money, but people will continue to do so and support their business practices. 

Rockstar understand that they have a devoted audience. TakeTwo understand that Rockstar make them a sh*t load of money. 

I really feel that a lot of the "problems" the butthurt on this forum feel are Rockstar's doing are actually more about TakeTwo and shareholder interests, arbitrary deadlines and profit margins are more important than finished products. 

V was delayed, what, a year, initially? I think they probably wanted to delay it longer. I think they probably wanted to release V as a bigger, separate game, but TakeTwo's influence caused them to rethink and combine the two products. I really believe that Online was going to be released later than V, maybe even a year or so later, but TakeTwo forced them to push Online development to the same degree as V, causing a disparity in the levels of content. And as soon as Online started making big bucks, TakeTwo will have made damn sure that they focused more on pushing Online content than giving the SP fans what they want - DLC. 

So while we can sit here and try and be edgy about Rockstar, I think it's worth bearing in mind that they probably have a lot less control over their product than we're aware of, and that TakeTwo push the software in directions we'd prefer it not to be pushed in. 

Where do I think Rockstar went wrong, really? Not stopping after San Andreas. Just before the internet became filled with the worst, most toxic and mentally immature gamers the world has ever seen. 

• Original Light likes this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

THEN I SWALLOD THE EVRYTING

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:29 PM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 27 August 2016 - 12:30 PM.

When did R* start to f*ck up? When TBOGT debuted.

Double fixed.

Don't get me wrong, i love TBOGT but that's the exact moment when they gave up to pier pressure and started backpedaling, with the identity of the HD universe and what the new GTA waa about that is, they went back to square one. Game is great and all but the story and most characters suck, in retrospective TBOGT is a preview of V minus the dumb gameplay.

I still don't demonize R* like everyone seems to do, but who changes the tone of his flagship game twice?
  • MiamiViceCity, B Dawg and Payne Killer like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:15 AM

Where I think R* went wrong? When they started listening to whiners instead of going their own direction like they did with GTA IV. Hopefully they'll get the message with GTA VI that it's impossible to please everyone.

Also the lack of news regarding any potential up coming game hasn't helped and the obsessive focus on GTAO.
  • Original Light, Cluckin' Bell and The Deadite like this

Original Light
  • Original Light

You Float Like a Feather

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:27 AM Edited by Original Light, 29 August 2016 - 03:28 AM.

Where I think R* went wrong? When they started listening to whiners instead of going their own direction like they did with GTA IV. Hopefully they'll get the message with GTA VI that it's impossible to please everyone.

Also the lack of news regarding any potential up coming game hasn't helped and the obsessive focus on GTAO.

GTA IV had a higher level of detail, for me personally. Every alleyway told a story. Every pothole and crack in the road felt gritty. That and they still focused on single player back then, and they released two amazing DLC's. All the time spent developing GTA Online could have been poured into developing a better single player experience for GTA V compared to what we have today - a dead, abandoned, unfulfilled potential. 

That's not to say I didn't enjoy the single player in GTA V, I did. But for me, it could have been much more. 

• gamerzworld, MiamiViceCity, PhillBellic and 1 other like this

Mister Leone
  • Mister Leone

The Mood

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:59 AM

Seems like the development of Red Dead Redemption showed the cracks in the Rockstar machine. Relying so much on one individual (The Benz) is not good.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

When did R* start to f*ck up? When TBOGT debuted.

Double fixed.

Don't get me wrong, i love TBOGT but that's the exact moment when they gave up to pier pressure and started backpedaling, with the identity of the HD universe and what the new GTA waa about that is, they went back to square one. Game is great and all but the story and most characters suck, in retrospective TBOGT is a preview of V minus the dumb gameplay.

I still don't demonize R* like everyone seems to do, but who changes the tone of his flagship game twice?

Pier Pressure? I didn't know a Freighter was pressing down on them. :p

I agree, none the less with your Post. Going further, I did not like the Mission Completion Tally introduced in TBOGT one little bit. That's another example of the decay of the Series, in my opinion.

• MiamiViceCity, B Dawg and The Deadite like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

THEN I SWALLOD THE EVRYTING

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:11 AM

Pier Pressure? I didn't know a Freighter was pressing down on them. :p

Phill, you realize calling on my typos is like making fun of a paraplegic because he's unable to walk?
  • PhillBellic and Payne Killer like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users