Photo

Nintendo Switch Discussion Topic

262 replies to this topic
Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

2 decades taking up space on Earth!

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:26 PM Edited by Zombified Andy, 24 May 2017 - 05:27 PM.

It was just announced that the Switch now fully supports Unreal Engine, meaning indie devs and smaller studios without a big budget to develop a standalone engine can develop and/or convert their games for the Nintendo console, just needing to be approved as developers for the console.

I had already mentioned this being on the way but it's great to see it actually happening, it was a very wise choice from Nintendo to open their door to indie devs and smaller studios and so getting original new games that usually don't require as much graphical performance due to their nature and that open door can help a lot said devs getting one more platform for their games that until now would only be on PC, plus being on a console where there's only a closed market and high quality control it can be a great spotlight for their work. I even wonder, if DONTNOD uses again UE and stays with the same publisher, if won't we see Life is Strange 2 on the Switch... ;)

Source: Eurogamer
  • Tchuck likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:17 AM

So Nintendo Switch Online paid service has been properly announced.

20 bucks a year for online play, voice chat, plus a catalog of online NES titles, where users can play as many as they want, for however long they want.

Probably followed by a SNES catalog update in the future.

Could become the Netflix of classic games.

Also sheds some light as to why they discontinued the NES Classic edition; probably was used as a measure of how willing people were to play those classic games again. And the answer was: A whole lot.

Greatly improved when compared to the original announcement!

luisniko
  • luisniko

Un-certified Nurse

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:37 AM

20 bucks a year for online play, voice chat, plus a catalog of online NES titles, where users can play as many as they want, for however long they want.

Also sheds some light as to why they discontinued the NES Classic edition; probably was used as a measure of how willing people were to play those classic games again. And the answer was: A whole lot.

Yeah. That makes it definitely much more worthy. The price itself isn't steep like Xbox and PS+.
  • Tchuck likes this

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

having tons of fun with USF2

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

Worth noting though that this access to a NES classic once a month is only available for that month, then dissapears again...My thinking is that yeah, some form of service will be coming where you can pay to unlock the full versions of these games, and that this monthly free NES game is just a form of demo to tempt you in to buying the game itself.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

Worth noting though that this access to a NES classic once a month is only available for that month, then dissapears again...My thinking is that yeah, some form of service will be coming where you can pay to unlock the full versions of these games, and that this monthly free NES game is just a form of demo to tempt you in to buying the game itself.

Where did you read that? From the article with Nintendo's clarification:

“Nintendo Switch Online subscribers will have ongoing access to a library of classic games with added online play. Users can play as many of the games as they want, as often as they like, as long as they have an active subscription.”

The original plan was the "one game a month" thing which was pretty crap. But they dropped that in favor of a "here's all the classic games we have on the service. Play as much as you like".

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:33 AM

Yeah, my bad, seems I've been out of the loop a little with this one then. Glad they've changed their mind on it all though, seems a decent thing to do as with what the other big 2 do. The fact they've stated that the SNES classics are still under consideration may be hinting towards the rumoured Mini SNES Classic?

Really hoping they bring back the Virtual Console though, along with all the titles that were available before. It never really interested me in the Wii days, but it did when I got my Wii U, but didn't have that console long enough to fully take advantage of it all. 

• Tchuck likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:53 PM

Man, Mario + Rabbids looks like genuinely good fun. Like a silly version of Xcom. I love it!

http://kotaku.com/th...bids-1796035104

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:51 PM

Man, Mario + Rabbids looks like genuinely good fun. Like a silly version of Xcom. I love it!

Currently a 'potential' purchase for me. Initial gameplay seems somewhat decent, but still not sure whether or not it's worth a purchase. On the other hand, there are now like 5/6 games that I want for my Switch after E3 - Rocket League, Mario Odyssey, Metroid, Skyrim...Just hoping for more 3rd party support as time goes on, not that Nintendo don't seem to be back in winning mode, but it's always good to have full support, and I think Breath Of The Wild goes to show what the Switch is capable of. Yes, it's not as realistic in terms of graphical capabilities as the other 2 runners, but f*ck me, does it really need to be? I've found Breath Of The Wild to be one of the most visually stunning games in years...

• Tchuck likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:56 PM

And Mario Odyssey is like they took Breath Of The Wild's open world and made it crazier. Really, really excited about it. The removal of the lives system seems good, and the "replacement" of power ups by the hat thing seems like a lot of fun. Lots of Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine vibes from it.

Metroid Prime 4 and Samus Returns. So much for people saying Nintendo doesn't listen to their fanbase! 

All that's left is a new F-Zero game. The Switch is looking better and better.

• Gold-NBayse and Ivan1997GTA like this

Gold-NBayse
  • Gold-NBayse

A Busta

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:47 AM

I may have to buy a Switch in the future. I'm going to wait until next year, in the meantime I might get Samus Returns for my 3DS.
  • Tchuck and Ivan1997GTA like this

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

Godfather

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:20 AM

Really need to finish Zelda before all these other games come out, feel like I've not touched my Switch in a couple of months but it's not for it having any lack in awesomeness.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

While all these games are being awesome indeed (plus the announcement of an upcoming Pokémon game from the main series for the Switch, being the first main series title in HD), unfortunately it's already following the same course of it's precessor of a clear lack of main third party games.

It was already expectable but tbh things are being even worse than I had previously thought. Besides indie devs, big studios have been announcing minimal releases for it, even games that should be easily converted such as LiS Before the Storm (that, assuming it works like the first title, runs on Unreal Engine and isn't that graphics intensive) very unlikely will come to it. Nintendo first party games by no means disappoint, but just like on the Wii U, those are the only good and worth playing games on the platform.

Gotta say it's not entirety Nintendo's fault since they make it very easy, a lot more than on the Wii U, to develop games for it, but big studios still don't jump in despite its success.

luisniko
  • luisniko

Un-certified Nurse

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

Still waiting for more 3rd party games. Hopefully Nintendo can stop being a hard ass and more developers can see the potential of Switch.

Say all you want, but Bethsoft took the chance and actually realize Skyrim fan's dream to play Skyrim on portable device. An actual portable gaming device, not a laptop. 

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:16 PM Edited by Zombified Andy, 14 June 2017 - 01:18 PM.

Problem is, there was a time devs took the effort to develop a game with multiple platforms in mind, having teams working together on multiple versions for each platform. I'm many games, you'd have a PC version with higher graphics in mind, console versions either being similar to the PC version or a different one altogether to work best with them and even another one for portable game consoles. This was very common until the Nintendo DS days.

For a number of factors this method has been lost. In one hand, consoles' architecture became more and more similar to PC, therefore not being necessary to make as many changes between PC and console game versions. Also, portable consoles gradually lost popularity for smartphones when it comes to casual players, so studios began to release lesser games for the Vita and the 3DS.

My point is that it's not necessarily Nintendo's fault, ok they took the risk of making a very different console from everything else on the market and even though the clear relevance of hardware nowadays they haven't made it on par with the competitors, but I find a sense of conformism and easy money-making policies from bigger devs and studios. It was common practice until a decade ago to develop multiple versions of a game optimal for each platform yet nowadays if it requires changing the base game too much then it's a skip. Nintendo served on a silver plate a relatively simple to work with system, tools and full UE compatibility, yet companies still don't take the effort anymore. This is the kind of stuff companies do now that nobody criticises.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:52 PM

Eh, I'm more of the quality over quantity mindset. The last thing the Switch needs is an influx of third party shovelware like the Wii had. If they bring more things like Mario + Rabbids, I'm all for it. For all the other third party things, I have a PC and a PS4.

Unity_One
  • Unity_One

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:31 AM

This new xcom game looks different. I really surprise that they are working the game since 2013. They really got Miyamoto to make this game comes true.

• Tchuck likes this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:58 AM

Eh, I'm more of the quality over quantity mindset. The last thing the Switch needs is an influx of third party shovelware like the Wii had. If they bring more things like Mario + Rabbids, I'm all for it. For all the other third party things, I have a PC and a PS4.

I'm not saying one thing or another, I think the optimal is quality (which undoubtedly Switch titles already have) but in more quantity. It's typical of every platform to have crappy games, that's how things are, but what we're seeing right now in the first semester since it's release, things aren't looking good when it comes to third-party support.

Well, we've both had a flaming discussion here once about the exact same subject, so to avoid the same thing I just say it wouldn't be great for the Switch if it ended up being another nest of first-party games. No matter how good they are, a bigger library is needed as well, and it won't be built just thanks to Nintendo's effort. In fact, your point makes it even clearer: you're fine with that because you don't see it as a single platform, rather one amongst other 2 on the shelf (and desk :p ). When you're not feeling just Nintendo's games, you can boot up the PC or turn on the PS4 and enjoy different games, well for a lot of families and players that luck is no option, and there's where it falls short. At least if Nintendo lowered it's price or at very least came up with the smaller (and hopefully cheaper) rumored version quicker so the "secondary console" mindset can be more viable.
  • Tchuck likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:52 AM

Oh I completely agree with your assertion. Nintendo needs the third party so they can get that demographic of people who can only afford a single console. For them, the overall library matters a lot since they'll only have one platform to use.

And yeah, can you imagine if the Switch came out at a $250 price point? (with the supplies to back it, of course) They'd probably get closer to Wii sales level.

• Zombified Andy likes this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Un-certified Nurse

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:04 AM

I'm still dreaming for the day when Switch has the same or almost the same game line-up as PS4 and X1 - with lower graphical quality compared to the other two, which really doesn't matter to me.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'm still dreaming for the day when Switch has the same or almost the same game line-up as PS4 and X1 - with lower graphical quality compared to the other two, which really doesn't matter to me.

Yes, but of how many of them titles are sequels that get released on a yearly, if not less, basis? The Wii had quite a big collection of games, but the majority of them were sh*tty 3rd party titles that were just the same as all the others, just differently designed enough to qualify as a new title. For me, quality will always precede over quantity, and it's hard to deny that when Nintendo are on form, they release some of the best titles in existence.

I don't really get what you mean by lower graphical quality though? Aesthetically, Breath Of The Wild is one of the best visually looking games I've ever played, and one of the few games that has me continually scanning the area in awe at how beautiful it looks...would you say that's graphically poorer than any other game just because they chose a different art style than the majority of titles been released this day that are trying so hard to imitate life?

I will always regard Nintendo as the best games company out of the main 3, for one reason and one reason alone...Yeah, they may be failing to some extent in today's gaming market, but they will always value gameplay and most importantly a fun experience above anything else. Sad world when a company is shunned for trying to stray away from the norm and be as innovative as possible, all to give the consumer the most fun possible, rather than concentrating on trying to be so realistic yet offering a bland experience.

I think I'm a little bias though, because even though my PS2 collection was one of the most diverse and biggest as a kid, it was still the N64 that got me into gaming.

After E3, I'm actually pretty happy with the upcoming titles for the Switch, with Rocket League been one of the major surprises for me.

• Tchuck likes this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Un-certified Nurse

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 days ago

Third party Switch dock. I chuckled when I watch this.

• Vik likes this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 7 hours ago

Rather than start a dedicated topic due to the lack of information, I thought I'd just use this topic to bring up something that is circulating the net today. So it seems that someone over at NeoGaf has stumbled upon a European Trademark document that, so far, is just an image of the well-known N64 controller...but this is leading to major speculation that Nintendo are planning on releasing a classic version of the N64 as their next project, since it follows the pattern of previous documents where they sent documents off of the previous console controllers.

On the flip side though, this could also just be maybe Nintendo planning on bringing out some type of controller for the Switch?

I, along with probably hundreds of others, are hoping that it's the first one. I would throw my cash at a classic version of the N64 without hesitation, since it's one of my all-time favourite consoles ever. My only doubt is that many of the games that made the console so great were 3rd party titles that are owned by other companies that may not be willing to participate, or companies now owned by one of the other giants of the console world (Rare - Microsoft)...Leaving only a handful of games I can think of that would make this a great seller without having Mario in the title.

Anyway, link to the article - http://www.techradar...the-n64-classic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users