Nintendo Switch Discussion Topic

280 replies to this topic
El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:01 PM Edited by El Diablo, 07 March 2017 - 11:02 PM.

Only kids will like this. Why Nintendo has to be so special and do crazy stuff nobody is asking for.

gotta' disagree.

while the Nintendo Switch isn't really for me, personally, I can see exactly why it's going to be so popular. portable gaming is a large wave to ride right now and it's only getting larger for the foreseeable future. I prefer PC gaming but I know lots of people who were asking for something similar to what the Switch is offering. Nintendo might be slightly more juvenile compared to the kinds of titles you see on other consoles but it's definitely not just for kids.

I'm almost 30 and I can't wait to play the new Zelda, for instance

the Switch is going to be a huge success for Nintendo Entertainment and aspects of it will likely be copied (in some fashion) by other consoles.

• Tchuck and Mister Pink like this

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:40 AM Edited by GTA3Rockstar, 09 March 2017 - 01:41 AM.

Totally forgot how ass-backwards Nintendo is with their controls.

Not only are they opposite of the Xbox/PS4 (mainly the Xbox, A & B are switched, as well as X & Y), they just seem wrong.

Still have been pressing the wrong button lol

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

Not only are they opposite of the Xbox/PS4 (mainly the Xbox, A & B are switched, as well as X & Y), they just seem wrong.

I seem to recall, from back when I was a console developer, that control scheme in Asia for forward/back buttons is typically flipped compared to what we are used to in the West. That includes majority of XBOne/PS4 titles released there. We had to do some last-minute patching for China release to account for it. I guess, Nintendo decided to dump a universal Asian-typical scheme on the world. This probably has something to do with them dropping region locks. Still, would not have been hard to provide customizable mappings for that.

Tried a bit of Zelda on friend's Switch. I really like it as a handheld console. Me having small hands is definitely an advantage here. Probably will pick it up for playing Mario Cart when that comes out. Especially if second wave sorts out some minor tech annoyances of the first gen.
  • Neon_Dreaming likes this

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

I seem to recall, from back when I was a console developer, that control scheme in Asia for forward/back buttons is typically flipped compared to what we are used to in the West. That includes majority of XBOne/PS4 titles released there. We had to do some last-minute patching for China release to account for it. I guess, Nintendo decided to dump a universal Asian-typical scheme on the world. This probably has something to do with them dropping region locks. Still, would not have been hard to provide customizable mappings for that.

Tried a bit of Zelda on friend's Switch. I really like it as a handheld console. Me having small hands is definitely an advantage here. Probably will pick it up for playing Mario Cart when that comes out. Especially if second wave sorts out some minor tech annoyances of the first gen.

Yea, considering they have been releasing consoles before the Xbox and PS4, I guess you can say that those two are the ones that are ass-backwards. lol Though, as mentioned, 'advance' and 'back' seem better on the Xbox/PS4

It's not bad, but definitely would need the pro controller as the main control. Fits nicely, like the Xbox controller (still the best imo).

Hopefully they include all of the DLC for Mario Kart, otherwise it's a waste since it was on the Wii u before.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

Hey wait a minute now! You're both acting as if Xbox invented controllers.

Didn't SNES already have B and A on the correct spots and then Microsoft screwed it up? I remember struggling with the Xbox controller because of it.

They're just being consistent.

• Sunrise Driver likes this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

I'm talking purely about conventions on forward/back. Yes, the A/B have been "backwards" in the NES days. Puzzled me much when I was a kid.

Swe78
  • Swe78

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

I really like the Pro Controller and the new Zelda is just amazing. What a game. I think given the fact that it will get the handheld library of games also, there will be many good games for the Switch. 

I now have both PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch so I get the best out of two worlds now and in the next few years to come. Now back to Zelda..

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

What's this about forward/back being reversed? Is it about inverted 'mouselook', or the same but also for character movement?

Anyway, PS games released in Japan also have (or at least used to have) reversed X/O, where the red circle is used to confirm choices and the blue cross for rejecting them or going back. It keeps messing me up when I play some PSP games in an emulator as with PSP it's often carried over to western versions as well.

Well while I suppose the meaning of X and O are purely cultural and artificial, I can't imagine using inverse mouse look. Back when I was experimenting with my first FPS (Quake 3) without any guidance I quickly found what feels natural to me, and the same when using my first gamepad for GTA IV. I find it so odd that someone's mind could work completely in reverse in this regard.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

What's this about forward/back being reversed? Is it about inverted 'mouselook', or the same but also for character movement?

No, just the same X/O confirm/cancel thing in more general terms.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:42 AM Edited by RogerWho, 15 March 2017 - 01:55 AM.

Um but Ninty has been using the same scheme since forever, haven't hey? They keep changing the colors but A on the right and B on the left has always been there.

It's Sega that reversed it (or maybe it was the other way around, I dunno) and then MS copied that layout, again with their own colors. Sony has always had their own symbols.

While the reversed A/B is kinda silly, at least they are immediately distinguishable, unlike the pink square / red circle, where every QTE screen prompt gives me a bit of a pause.

Anyway, just looking at the images of various controllers - funny how the SNES variant with color buttons, Xbox and PS each have a blue X on different position, and then N64 has a blue A, Dreamcast a blue B and there's a Saturn variant with a blue C, each one somewhere else. That has to get quite crazy when one uses multiple consoles. I only have 2 of these and it usually takes me a while to adjust.

Still better than touchscreens though.

Edit: Or do you mean Ninty used B for advance and A for backwards before and not anymore? I dunno but when I goofed with N64 and GC emulators back in the day, I think the controls have always been reversed compared to the Xbox/PS conventions. I always ended up just remapping the controls according to letters of the X360 PC controller regardless of where they are on the original controller.

It reminds me of a fun story. A long time ago I played FF7 in a PC PSX emulator, but the control scheme was garbage so I remapped the buttons directly in the game (ah the times when console games allowed button remapping). I wasn't familiar with the PS controllers at the time (I didn't have a console but I did buy those PS games btw) so I often had to peek on a photo of the PSX controller to make sure I'm pressing the right buttons. But then at one point there was that piano minigame which ignored the remappings (i.e. it showed incorrect prompts according to original button positions) so I had to map the buttons in my mind from my remapping to original buttons to the X360 PC controller all while trying to follow the QTE prompts :D Good times I guess.

SAVILLAIN
  • SAVILLAIN

ha ha ha

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

gotta get that Zelda one of THE GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:52 AM Edited by GTA3Rockstar, 16 March 2017 - 05:54 AM.

Um but Ninty has been using the same scheme since forever, haven't hey? They keep changing the colors but A on the right and B on the left has always been there.

It's Sega that reversed it (or maybe it was the other way around, I dunno) and then MS copied that layout, again with their own colors. Sony has always had their own symbols.

While the reversed A/B is kinda silly, at least they are immediately distinguishable, unlike the pink square / red circle, where every QTE screen prompt gives me a bit of a pause.

Anyway, just looking at the images of various controllers - funny how the SNES variant with color buttons, Xbox and PS each have a blue X on different position, and then N64 has a blue A, Dreamcast a blue B and there's a Saturn variant with a blue C, each one somewhere else. That has to get quite crazy when one uses multiple consoles. I only have 2 of these and it usually takes me a while to adjust.

Still better than touchscreens though.

Edit: Or do you mean Ninty used B for advance and A for backwards before and not anymore? I dunno but when I goofed with N64 and GC emulators back in the day, I think the controls have always been reversed compared to the Xbox/PS conventions. I always ended up just remapping the controls according to letters of the X360 PC controller regardless of where they are on the original controller.

It reminds me of a fun story. A long time ago I played FF7 in a PC PSX emulator, but the control scheme was garbage so I remapped the buttons directly in the game (ah the times when console games allowed button remapping). I wasn't familiar with the PS controllers at the time (I didn't have a console but I did buy those PS games btw) so I often had to peek on a photo of the PSX controller to make sure I'm pressing the right buttons. But then at one point there was that piano minigame which ignored the remappings (i.e. it showed incorrect prompts according to original button positions) so I had to map the buttons in my mind from my remapping to original buttons to the X360 PC controller all while trying to follow the QTE prompts :D Good times I guess.

Putting too much thought into this. lol

For the Pro controller, A should be the back button and B should be the advance button, but reverse them so A is on the bottom and B is on the right. Like the X1

I still feel the Xbox One controller is the best design. The Playstation is too small and the left joy-stick is in the wrong spot, should be swapped with the D-Pad.

X and Y aren't too bad, those are used to do what would normally be done in any other game, top button would jump, left one would hit, etc.

Xbox allows remapping.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

As we're talking about controllers - did you guys knew the Pro controller is compatible with PC out of the box? No need to use custom drivers or emulators like the PS4 one.

I think that's a great win for PC players interested in buying one *cough* like me *cough*, since this controller has been receiving great feedback and so being able to be used on two platforms make it's price not feel as high.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

Turns out another old, speculated rumor about the Nintendo Switch (even back when the whole console was all but speculation) was in fact true - the Switch almost ran an Android-based OS. Long story short, Kirt McMaster from Cyanogen, a very popular yet now defunct custom Android distribution team, tweeted that Nintendo supposedly had tried to negotiate a partnership to develop the OS of a portable console of them, which he refused.

I remember when that began to come out here and there I thought if it actually happened I'd buy one at launch considering all the possibilities and versatility it could bring - unfortunately it didn't happened, but it might be a bitter yet necessary evil, as it would make the Switch incredibly easy to get cracked and the games pirated, by running a system modders and hackers all around the world are well familiar with.

Source: Android Central
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

^ My thoughts as well. I mean the thing runs on tablet hardware it would have made sense to just use Android and be compatible with existing Android games (like the NVIDIA Shield Android TV).
  • Natasha likes this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

^ My thoughts as well. I mean the thing runs on tablet hardware it would have made sense to just use Android and be compatible with existing Android games (like the NVIDIA Shield Android TV).

C'mon, there's way too much common sense in that. Be like asking Sony to run Windows 10 on it's PS4 :lol:

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:23 PM

C'mon, there's way too much common sense in that. Be like asking Sony to run Windows 10 on it's PS4 :lol:

Well, but Android is an open source OS (so unlike Microsoft you don't have to ask anyone's permission to have access and use it), meaning Nintendo could simply get the source code, customize it as they wish and voilà. A lot of projects non smartphone/tablet related already do that, and that's also why so many startup smartphone companies can get Android so easily because, well, it's freely available to everyone.

Cyanogen is a team that worked for years improving and modifying Android, being CyanogenMod one of the most famous and successful (while it lasted) custom ROMs for Android, so Nintendo surely asked them for help because they needed someone with experience on the matter to make all the necessary changes to turn the OS into a console.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:24 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 23 March 2017 - 06:26 PM.

You mean from a piracy perspective? It's obviously quite rampant on Android with little in the way of DRM but this platform is basically up for grabs for any manufacturer to make a system that delivers console level gaming experiences. I like what NVIDIA has done with their consoles (heck, they even support installing APKs from unknown sources, which would be counter productive for combating piracy) and all it's missing is game developer involvement. Nintendo is basically both a system designer and a game developer so they could bring the Android platform to compete against PS and Xbox.

I don't think piracy is that big a deal. I mean Windows is the worst in that regard but game companies still release games on PC and the sales are pretty good (also, people always find ways to hack stuff and pirate things no matter how proprietary the platform software is). Android could be the fourth platform in the gaming space.
  • Shaytan and Natasha like this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:31 PM Edited by Zombified Andy, 23 March 2017 - 06:36 PM.

(heck, [Nvidia] even support[s] installing APKs from unknown sources, which would be counter productive for combating piracy)

Installing APKs from unknown sources, not only being a default feature of Android (that some companies might disable, although I can't recall any), doesn't equal to piracy - it only means not installing an app from the Google Playstore or another certified app store (such as Samsung's). I can say I have multiple apps in that situation, although none was pirated; some devs for their own reasons decide not to publish their apps on the Playstore (or might have been kicked for disrespecting any rules). Also, some markets such as China rely mostly on that kind of apps.

I don't think piracy is that big a deal. I mean Windows is the worst in that regard but game companies still release games on PC and the sales are pretty good (also, people always find ways to hack stuff and pirate things no matter how proprietary the platform software is). Android could be the fourth platform in the gaming space.

I don't think that is a good argument. What did a lot of people used to do with their Playstations? That's right, crack them. Most people I know of that ever had a PS, had at least one cracked. That just doesn't happen now because if some hacker tries to share such thing, gets an investigator on their door with a C&D. Wait until eventually Sony releases a sucessor to the PS4 and discontinuing it and you'll be surprised.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:58 PM

No, but as a console running on Android having that option would be counter productive for combating piracy but I think that it is a feature that should be preserved for Android systems.

The PS4 was hacked before by using a kernel exploit but it must have been patched by now and failing to update your firmware would probably prevent you from playing newer games. Yes, it is more difficult now but if you look at the PC platform, there is a market there even though piracy is the most rampant on Windows.
  • Shaytan likes this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

Changing subject slightly, but I honestly can't wait to get my hands on a Switch. Yes, it's 90% down to wanting the new Zelda game, but the console itself attracts me too. Whilst the others are competing to up the graphics and bring you the most realistic experience ever etc, Zelda stuck two fingers up to all that and, well, have ultimately come out on top with Zelda, a game that only seriously butt-hurt kids seem to be able to marking negatively. The main selling point for me is that I practically work 6/7 days a week, and the majority of this is spent travelling back and forth...this has ultimately seen me not able to play any of my home consoles as much as I used to anymore, so for something that I can literally just pick up at any moment and travel with is great for me.

Obviously I'm not so narrow-minded to know that the Switch has limitations that could yet again cost them dearly, but so far there are already around 4/5 games that I know I want for the system; Zelda, Mario, Yooka-Laylee, Pikmin, MK8...But as the list is so short and there are no more rumours of upcoming games, I'm waiting it out to pick a Switch up.

Hats off to Nintendo though, yet again they've tried to be different, and so far it's a success...

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

switch is pretty cool, but the only good game atm is Zelda and soon MK8

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

It was no news that the Nintendo Switch offered support for Unreal Engine games. However, according to this Nintendo Today article there are 20 new Unreal Engine games under development for it. Of course, if a single AAA game is amongst them it would be great already, but it's still great to see more unique games coming for it.

Also, Nintendo is reportedly working to make the free version of UE compatible as well, meaning it would be even easier for indie devs to develop new games for this console. I think Nintendo is quickly becoming the second most popular mainstream platform for indie games, after PC.
  • Tchuck likes this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

Yeah, admittedly the major let down at the moment is the line up for the console, both at present and the confirmed upcoming titles. Think there are like 5 titles that I have a genuine interest in so far, of which 3 are ones I'd pick up instantly...

...Saying that though, the missus has only gone and got me a Switch...Wel, ordered me one anyway, since it seems Nintendo have yet again do their usual trick of not having enough stock to justify the demand. I currently have Breath Of The Wild sat collecting dust in my collection, and Mario Kart 8 is pre-ordered for delivery on release day; All this and the console itself is slated for a 30th May delivery, and even then the site says it's all on a first come first served basis and they have no idea what stock they have incoming...

Oh well, all I know is I have a Nintendo Switch on the way at some point, and to be honest I genuinely can't wait...

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, admittedly the major let down at the moment is the line up for the console, both at present and the confirmed upcoming titles. Think there are like 5 titles that I have a genuine interest in so far, of which 3 are ones I'd pick up instantly...

...Saying that though, the missus has only gone and got me a Switch...Wel, ordered me one anyway, since it seems Nintendo have yet again do their usual trick of not having enough stock to justify the demand. I currently have Breath Of The Wild sat collecting dust in my collection, and Mario Kart 8 is pre-ordered for delivery on release day; All this and the console itself is slated for a 30th May delivery, and even then the site says it's all on a first come first served basis and they have no idea what stock they have incoming...

Oh well, all I know is I have a Nintendo Switch on the way at some point, and to be honest I genuinely can't wait...

Lucky you man. She's a keeper! :p

I wanted to pick on of these consoles up but don't have the cash right now. Early 2018 might be the earliest I could get one. At least there'll be more titles out then. 

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:21 AM Edited by Zombified Andy, 28 April 2017 - 11:27 AM.

Nintendo announced today a new 2DS console, but with the peculiarity of being almost identical to a regular 3DS, Amiibo support, two speakers and better hardware - in short, a 3DS but without the 3D functionality, and a price in between both consoles.

This only reinforces the idea Nintendo isn't planning to ditch the 3DS in favour of the Switch even more, and answers to the demand of a 2DS console with better design and features, better hardware and that doesn't look like a kid's toy.

I didn't got it if it'll be released in Europe besides of the US and Japan, neither if by "better hardware" it means being compatible with the latest "New 3DS only" games. If so, I'm really considering buying one - I never really enjoyed the 3D effect since it seems to make me feel dizzy and tbh for 199 I'd prefer to save for a new guitar rather than a portable console, plus used ones are usually either broken or with visible use marks, or the seller wants to get rid of a bunch of [crappy] games with it and won't sell in separate; so if it went for sale on those big Christmas discounts later on... ;)
  • Tchuck and Ivan1997GTA like this

Veroder
  • Veroder

That guy

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:09 PM Edited by Veroder, 28 April 2017 - 03:10 PM.

I still prefer the more comfortable shape of the orignal 2DS. This just looks like a cheaper (but still pretty expensive) version of the New 3DS XL. Give us a New 2DS and I'll get one.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

Yea, considering they have been releasing consoles before the Xbox and PS4, I guess you can say that those two are the ones that are ass-backwards. lol Though, as mentioned, 'advance' and 'back' seem better on the Xbox/PS4

It's not bad, but definitely would need the pro controller as the main control. Fits nicely, like the Xbox controller (still the best imo).

Hopefully they include all of the DLC for Mario Kart, otherwise it's a waste since it was on the Wii u before.

OK, so when I first read this comment, I genuinely laughed and thought it was a nit-pick and small issue, but Jesus H Christ, you wouldn't believe how many times I've died so far in BoTW because of the wrong button press. Even now I'm still looking down at the controller nearly everytime I have to press a different button...Wasn't until I got the Switch that I realised it's how the controller layout actually was back 'in the day' and how we've just become accustomed to this 'new layout'...

But yeah, got my Switch delivered on Friday, which I was genuinely shocked about since supply is so limited everywhere right now and I was even told that I wouldn't get it till late next month at the earliest.

So far, literally my 2 complaints about it are the button layout, as explained above, and the 2nd one been that the buttons to release the joy-cons from the 'tablet' are so small and inconveniently placed that you find yourself pressing every other button just to release them, and have found myself having to force them out...Apart from that, the Switch is absolutely brilliant - Yes, the game library is terrible right now and unless you have money to splash, I'd advise to hold off picking one up unless a huge MK and Zelda fan. On the subject of Zelda though, the game has to be seen in person to truly understand what all the fuss is about...been a fair while now since I've found myself randomly stopping and just traversing the landscape with the camera in awe of the scenery...

MK8 is the usual blast too, with the added bonus of having all the content available right from the get-go.

• GTA3Rockstar likes this

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:51 AM

Told you! lol

Even though Nintendo started the controller layout, it still seemed wrong.

Advance should be the lower button, back should be the right. The other two are up in the air for what they do, but usually the top is the jump button - which they used that - and the left would be attack or something.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

Told you! lol

Even though Nintendo started the controller layout, it still seemed wrong.

Advance should be the lower button, back should be the right. The other two are up in the air for what they do, but usually the top is the jump button - which they used that - and the left would be attack or something.

I actually had to Google an image of the NES controller just to reaffirm to myself that it was actually the norm back in the day. It kind of reminds me of Metal Gear Solid for the PSX; At the menu, pressing X would take you back, whereas O was the advance/start/OK button...

Back on topic anyway, it's worrying me that so far, the Switch has been left out of announced platforms for Darksiders 3, especially since THQ announced they were backing the Switch before launch...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users