240 replies to this topic
SAVILLAIN
  • SAVILLAIN

ha ha ha

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:00 AM

Switch was the only great announcement that day don't be salty

Nintendo keeps winning and driving the industry forward... Unbeatable & Superior 

• Street Mix likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

I think this looks pretty decent. I haven't really been excited by handheld gaming...ever, really. I can imagine it would be fun to play in bed at night or waking up and you're having a lazy day and you want to play something simple and fun. How about sitting on the toilet? :p

If the price is right and there's some good games, I might give it a whack. 

• KilnerLUFC, Android, Zombified Andy and 1 other like this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

Master of procrastination

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

Switch was the only great announcement that day don't be salty

Nintendo keeps winning and driving the industry forward... Unbeatable & Superior

I find your opinion quite hard to believe. I take my hat off for the originality of this platform, and for Nintendo to try to make something different that stands out of everyone else.

However, it's processor didn't really moved the industry forward in any way, actually the industry moved forward and it stood aside, making Nintendo being pushed even more to their corner, away of the rest of the industry.

This has the potential of succeeding, as long as the specs aren't that bad, otherwise it would require too much work to make Switch an option for upcoming multiplatform games to be released on. This will be either an hit or miss, and I see 3 possible scenarios for it: Nintendo delivered specs good enough and/or a system easy to develop to and third-party devs "catch the train"; it won't be a reliable alternate to current platforms so devs won't release the same multiplatform games to it, but still take it's own advantages and develop exclusive games to it that'll make it an unique and great platform; or finally third-party devs won't stick for long and it'll end up another console based on Nintendo's own franchises that, even though being good, won't make it worth for someone seeking for a gaming platform, and it'll be the final nail in their coffin.

To conclude this post, I think your post sounds a bit fanboy-ish. I'm myself a big lover of Nintendo so even if I was a bit tough and felt a bit disappointed with it yesterday, I still can't put this aside. I don't agree with you that Nintendo is superior, and their last console didn't moved the industry forward in any visible way, but I can see potential on this that only the games will dictate it's fate.
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

The Infidel

• Members
  • South-Korea

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:06 PM

Seems like Nintendo continues that route of being different and unique, started with Wii.

I'd love to see Switch being on par with PS4 though. So I'm slightly disappointed.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:30 PM

Nvidia confirmed Switch uses a custom Tegra processor on a blog post. Source.
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

SAVILLAIN
  • SAVILLAIN

ha ha ha

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:17 AM

I'd love to see Switch being on par with PS4 though.

the superior doesn't follow it breaks away and leads

luisniko
  • luisniko

Cyuu cyuu

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:43 AM Edited by luisniko, 22 October 2016 - 03:44 AM.

The concept is great.

I really hope the game collection will be on the same line as PS4/X1. Graphical quality will definitely be lower, but in this kind of concept and price, I really don't mind. And I also hope no subscription BS, as well as the notorious Nintendo region lock.

When that happens, I will say bye bye to Sony.

And if I could transfer my save data over, I would definitely re-buy my games on Switch! :p

• Zombified Andy and Ivan1997GTA like this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:14 AM

When that happens, I will say bye bye to Sony.

You might still remember what I've said about considering to switch to console. I still haven't scratched out the Switch, if they get enough third-party, multiplatform games to it (say, for example, RDR 2 gets released for it, or other major titles), I'm in for it. Otherwise, it's not worth to jump into.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

jrl51592
  • jrl51592

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:26 PM

I'm somewhat interested in this. This is something that I could see my 4yr old niece have. She already has a tablet so this might be perfect for her.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:11 PM Edited by Fireman, 22 October 2016 - 05:12 PM.

It's a tablet with a controller, it's ridiculous that anyone expects this to not fail.

• Cosmic Gypsy likes this

Distrom
  • Distrom

Forever Bulking

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

It's a tablet with a controller, it's ridiculous that anyone expects this to not fail.

It has third parties supporting it (let´s see how long tho, it could be another Wii U)

I don't want to see it fail, but if the console it´s not powerfull enough to match  the PS4 and XBONE, it will lose AAA support and will be dead within It´s first year.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:05 PM

you know if I'm being honest, the idea and the concept itself are pretty cool.

good on Nintendo for dreaming big.

that being said it's just not for me.

I'm not that obsessive with my gaming. I don't need to take it with me. I don't care for the tiny portable controls. I don't care for AAA games on a tiny little tablet screen. if I'm out with friends or whatever then I'd rather be engaged with my friends; my stupid smartphone already demands enough of my attention. I don't need to add another media platform to my pockets when I leave the house every day.

it's a pass from me.

but I can see the appeal for a certain generation and a certain demographic.

• Nico, Richard Power Colt and Ivan1997GTA like this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:11 PM

Seems like Nintendo continues that route of being different and unique, started with Wii.

I'd love to see Switch being on par with PS4 though. So I'm slightly disappointed.

Started with the Wii? Lol! Nintendo have always gone for the unique and different path, rather than trying to fit in. It just went downhill from the Wii, that's all.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:33 PM

That's literally what it is, they can try and justify it by showing the switch from TV to on the move tablet gaming all they like, it's terrible.

Yet another gimmick based sh*tty console. 

Gremlin Sombra
  • Gremlin Sombra

Life's good when you're Caveria main.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:26 AM

I don't see why people act like that tablet part of the console is being forced on you. So far it seems pretty optional to me.

luisniko
  • luisniko

Cyuu cyuu

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:13 AM Edited by luisniko, 23 October 2016 - 03:14 AM.

Switch is aiming at a different functionality than PS4 and X1. lol. They are aiming for a hybrid product between home and mobile entertainment. Of course, everything has its downside and in this case, Switch is weaker than PS4 and X1.

You know, if you want an immobilized shiny gaming sh*t, you build a PC. The downside is that you need time, research, and even more money to build one.

If you don't want to build one. PS4 and X1 have got it covered. The downside is that it comes with a fixed rig, fixed OS, and weaker performance.

If you want your game to be playable whether you're at home or outside, without stupid internet-dependant remote play or requiring you to buy same game in 2 different formats, then Switch will get it covered. The downside is that it has what PS4/X1 has and an even weaker performance.

Everything is built for a purpose, people. Everything doesn't have to be top notch. 

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Vik
  • Vik

Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death

• Mountain Bike Society
  • None

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:15 AM Edited by Vik, 23 October 2016 - 04:18 AM.

I loved the general changes and demographic they were aiming for in this trailer. Young adults with busy lives. It's perfect and the most practical from a business standpoint. I understand that Nintendo does stand with family-friendly content, but I personally felt that Wii U tried to chase after the already dry casual market dominated by the smartphone/tablet industry while chasing after an idea.. that was although great, frankly wasn't executed properly. The Wii proved to be a fluke. Gimmicky (although entertaining) controls, simplistic games in a time where such games weren't as feasible and complex in the mobile market due to lack of technology, and an appealing price, and that (the fluke) was evident with the diminishing sales once everyone probably owned one. 

I'm appealed though with what they are aiming for with the Switch, and it would be appealing even if they execute non-gaming tasks properly (maybe have a dual-boot with Android OS for power users? Pipe dreams  :sigh: ). It kind of refined the pillars of what Wii and Vita achieved. Vita being AAA experiences on the go and Wii chasing where the masses are craving and/or may want to see done, sometimes even creating concepts people never thought of yet do want. The e-sports snippet was interesting as well, and smart given its booming popularity. Hardware wise I hope its as powerful as the PS4 when docked for key third-party support but i wouldn't mind if it was less powerful when not docked (honestly if they footage they showed when not docked will be a good representation of the graphical prowess I will be more than happy). Controls are well, interesting to say at the very least. The very few buttons when playing with another person and the size is slightly alarming, but i'm sure it will look larger in person.

Overall, i'm extremely happy in the direction they're going in. Hope they don't mess it up.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

The Infidel

• Members
  • South-Korea

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:06 PM

Started with the Wii? Lol! Nintendo have always gone for the unique and different path, rather than trying to fit in. It just went downhill from the Wii, that's all.

Yes but in GameCube times they competed with PS2 and Xbox. Colin McRae 3, Burnout games, Medal of Honor, etc. GTA 3 & VC almost came out on GameCube. With Wii they went complete their own route.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:07 PM

Yes but in GameCube times they competed with PS2 and Xbox. Colin McRae 3, Burnout games, Medal of Honor, etc. GTA 3 & VC almost came out on GameCube. With Wii they went complete their own route.

IMO the GameCube and Super Nintendo were the best home consoles they've made. SNES counts with a gigantic ammount of titles, while the GameCube really did competed with the other platforms. If it used DVDs I have no doubt it would be the best console of that generation, it's specs were only behind the Xbox, the controller is one of the best ever made and titles were really good, even if with less variety because of their tiny CDs.

The Wii marks the moment they stopped competing the other brands: Sega was dead after the Saturn fail and Dreamcast coming on the worst time possible, while Sony and Microsoft being their new competitors, since N64 they were no longer the best console manufacturers in terms of sales sucess and titles avaliable. Both N64 and the GameCube suffered from bad decisions from the company so they decided to take a different course, maybe comming back to their roots, on the Wii. They've followed that unique path ever since, but they did competed with the other brands until the GameCube. Thing is until there console gaming didn't focused so much on graphics, maybe because better hardware was much more expensive, and since the 90s computers had much better graphics. It's a thing of the 2000s for consoles to try to keep up with top end graphics, and they haven't followed that course during the last decade.

• Street Mix likes this

Coleco
  • Coleco

Shut up and dance you FOOLS

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:28 PM

Interesting to finally see the new console, but personally I don't think it's for me. I don't own a tablet and my "smartphone" is nearly six years old, so clearly i'm not in the intended demographic. That and I grew up in the 80s and 90s with Sega, so please forgive me if the tit-for-tat advertising campaigns at the time and old brand rivalry has made a lasting impression :D

When I play games I like to do it in the privacy and comfort of my own home - I've never been one for mobile gaming so I guess the main draw of this is kinda lost on me. The new Zelda looks nice though and I've seen some gameplay elements that are subtle but fantastic, but like the WiiU I guess i'll just observe from the sidelines for now.

• Vik likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:13 PM Edited by RogerWho, 24 October 2016 - 11:15 PM.

I don't own a tablet and my "smartphone" is nearly six years old, so clearly i'm not in the intended demographic.

I would actually think it's people who aren't a fan of smartphones/tablets that this is good for (apart from the "not fan of mobile gaming" but it can be still used as a home console, so...).

I mean, the biggest problem in the typical mobile gaming of today are the controls. Most of the time it's either just "one button to barely interact" or trying to cram all the gamepad-like controls onto the touch screen, so the result is terrible.

So having actual physical controls is a large plus. That and one of the problems of the portable consoles is the small screen. So this solves 2 of the main issues of mobile gaming I suppose.

Still, ironically since I DO carry a tablet most of the time, I obviously don't want to carry another one. What the Switch needs is to be more universal, i.e. either to be able run Android apps at least (not much of a help for me since I use a Windows tablet but at least something) or ability to use it as a screen independently, i.e. have an HDMI input.

Or am I the only one with these wishes?

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

I would actually think it's people who aren't a fan of smartphones/tablets that this is good for (apart from the "not fan of mobile gaming" but it can be still used as a home console, so...).

If someone totally doesn't plan to even take advantage of the mobility factor of this console (not to say at least arround the house - how cool would it be to play Skyrim at the toilet, uh? :p ) and doesn't like mobile gaming, then this console is defenetly not for them. These advantages come at the cost of performance, so if the idea is just to keep it hooked up to the TV all the time, the other consoles or a PC would be more appealing.

• luisniko likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

so if the idea is just to keep it hooked up to the TV all the time, the other consoles or a PC would be more appealing.

People may still prefer the console for its specific games or for other reasons. If, say, Nintendo keeps the online multiplayer free, then it will be appealing to those who want to play some multiplayer occasionally and refuse to pay for it. Like me :sigh: Of course the games have to be there in the first place.

Still I think it would be very wise to also release a variant of the Switch that does not switch. Just a  regular cheap, tiny console without a display (apparently they call it microconsole), like the PS Vita TV.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

I agree with your point, now seeing things through those arguments. If the games worth it and include plenty of multiplarform titles, I think it compensates actually. It rely depends of the retail price and game library.

Still I think it would be very wise to also release a variant of the Switch that does not switch. Just a  regular cheap, tiny console without a display (apparently they call it microconsole), like the PS Vita TV.

I'm almost 100% sure they will later on, like they did with the mini Wii. This would probably come just mid-generation, if they make such thing at all.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:50 PM

More gimmicky stupidity from Nintendo. Nothing changes. 

luisniko
  • luisniko

Cyuu cyuu

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:50 PM

I definitely will take advantage of the mobile form of Switch, although that doesn't mean I will bring them everytime I take a dung or going outside :p. But yea, long boring trip or any other event that may put me into a waiting-game, the mobility of Switch will be very helpful.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Neither would I, I'm already too paranoid about some mofo getting his hands on my smartphone since my last one was stolen, I'll pass also going around with a big, eye-catching console too.

uzi 9mm
  • uzi 9mm

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:08 AM

I still don't understand why Nintendo doesn't release something powerful. The PS4 and XBOX1 need to be surpassed in power, or at least build something that's as powerful, but less powerful? I get that graphics aren't everything, we know, but get with the times man, how will they expect 3rd party support when they have to do the Nintendo version and have to downgrade the game to make it work on their system it's already a negative factor. I will probably get one, but it's not definite.

• Street Mix and RogerWho like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Cyuu cyuu

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:37 AM Edited by luisniko, 27 October 2016 - 05:38 AM.

I still don't understand why Nintendo doesn't release something powerful. The PS4 and XBOX1 need to be surpassed in power, or at least build something that's as powerful, but less powerful? I get that graphics aren't everything, we know, but get with the times man, how will they expect 3rd party support when they have to do the Nintendo version and have to downgrade the game to make it work on their system it's already a negative factor. I will probably get one, but it's not definite.

Because they're not aiming to make a home console equal to PS4 and X1. They're aiming for a hybrid gaming device.

Same like the Wii. They were trying to make family couch gaming device and it worked well for that aspect. 

Gamecube was stronger than PS2 back then, but wasn't successful in the end. Not sure why; I didn't follow the news. Probably they took lesson from this.

Either way, most likely Sony is going to follow them once again and create PlayStation Flip/Alter/Duo/Whatever_cool_name and then fade out like candle in the wind. lol

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:13 AM

-Because Nintendo needs to sell those consoles at a profit from the start, otherwise they will break the bank

-Because Nintendo makes the consoles that are powerful enough to play the games they wish to make, with the quality they want

-Because they know it's a battle they can't win since Sony and MS have extremely deep pockets and tons of divisions to fall back on in case games fail, whereas Nintendo doesn't

-Because someone needs to be pushing gameplay in new directions instead of a race to the bottom in the graphics that 90% of the games won't ever take full advantage of

-Because it's Nintendo

We've been over this before, at least in a previous Nintendo topic. Nintendo doesn't compete in the same market as the PS4 and the Xbox1. It doesn't need to. 

Yeah, they won't get as much third party support, and that sort of sucks. Nintendo knows that, we know that, the game industry knows that. Nintendo also knows that people who want to play their games, and that is a fair couple of millions of those, will have to buy their console to do so. So they stick to their guns.

To be fair, I don't give a rats ass about the third party support. Most of it is garbage games that are just filling up a catalogue; most of the good titles can be played on the PC for a better, graphically in most cases, experience. The rest is well, things you won't get to play.

First party is where Nintendo excels at. They know that, and players know it. Either you're a fan of Nintendo games, then the Switch is for you, or you're not, then the Switch is not for you. All the third parties in the world wouldn't make you buy a Switch because you don't care for the first party titles in the first place, then might as well pick up a PS4 or Xbox1. I mean sh*t, in term of first party exclusives, I can make the argument that the WiiU had the strongest library of the current gen consoles. There was quality in many areas and a lot of fun, bug-free titles. But since it's hip to hate Nintendo and preach their doom, people are oblivious to that.

All a matter of taste, of course. I'll be buying this because I love Nintendo games. If other third party stuff comes for it, great. If not, no harm done. As long as I get my Mario Kart, my Zelda, my Kirby, my Donkey Kong, I'll be happy.

• Dave likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users