Nintendo Switch Discussion Topic

262 replies to this topic
Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

2 decades taking up space on Earth!

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

Was just coming to post the video. So the NX, now Switch, was pretty much what was already speculated and people were trying to prove it wouldn't: a tablet with detachable controllers that can be played as a mobile console or hooked to a TV (why didn't they just used Bluetooth stream rather than that base?).

There's no specs announced but on such a small device there shouldn't be that much power, so again it won't compete in terms of specs. With the Xbox Slim, project Scorpio, PS4 Slim and Pro competition that offers several entertainment extras such as the new Blu-ray reader, this doesn't appear to offer such thing, so if the competitors offer extra functionalities, the Switch doesn't.

It will probably end up receiving mobile-quality third party games, and end up only having the kind of titles of Wii U.

I was truly hoping for something great, but to this moment, this just appeared to be a big fail. I'll hardly consider to buy this console.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:15 PM

There are also 3 new Zelda trailers

volta2001
  • volta2001

drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:16 PM

if i cared about mobile gaming this would probably be cool. dont have room in my pockets for another screen 

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:16 PM Edited by RogerWho, 20 October 2016 - 02:22 PM.

The 3rd one

(Can't embed more than 2 YT vids in one post hence another post)

JZFB
  • JZFB

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:21 PM

Audible sigh.

Well, no money for Nintendo again means more money in my pocket, at least.

• Fraizer likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:22 PM

if i cared about mobile gaming this would probably be cool. dont have room in my pockets for another screen 

Same. I always carry a 8" Windows tablet with me as well as a phone or 2. Another screen seems redundant. It would be great if there was a version of this without a screen which could be plugged into a multi-purpose tablet so you could have a portable screen as large as you want.

Or the other way around: have the Switch also work as a standalone screen so we can plug a Raspberry Pi into it and turn the Switch into a tablet-ish computer.

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

S.T.A.R.S Unit/The Dear R* Girl

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:22 PM

Idk.....I don't like the tiny controls.

I know there's a game pad but u gotta buy extra for that.

I just stick to ps4 and Xbox.

Loved the wii

Besides who are they targeting? The casual gamer who plays angry birds or loyal gamers?

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

@Quinn_flower: apparently this is meant to attract smartphone/tablet players, since it gives so emphasis of how easy it's intended to be carried arround, and the fact you can play your game either if you're at home or on the go.

This seems like a way for that type of players to get better quality games than free, pay to win games, while keeping the portability a mobile device offers.

The result, imo, is a confusing thing coming on the worst time possible (they managed to time the release right after all the competition is on the shelves), and that won't attract neither the "hardcore" (hate this term) players that want more quality and the safety of a platform that will stand longer and offer third-party games, neither the more casual gamers, that will still have to pay console price for something so similar to their tablet - "why paying for a device that looks like my tablet that does much more, and has free games that do the job of playing on the subway and 30/40 mins at home?".
  • HaythamKenway likes this

Gremlin Sombra
  • Gremlin Sombra

Life's good when you're Caveria main.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:39 PM

*shrugs*

I kinda liked it.

not saying I'd go pick one up instantly as I wanna make sure the thing actually gets a good variety of games but the console itself seems like a neat idea to me.  I just hope that gamepad is also included in a bundle.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:46 PM

If they put a main Pokemon game on this, I'll be pissed. Not that interested and don't want to be forced to shell out more money on it than the DS' ever costed me.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:47 PM

I like the idea, I want to play the Nintendo IPs... but I don't want a supplementary console. And that's all Switch is shaping up to be. I see no reason why I should fork over money for this, when there's already an Xbone under my TV screen. Hell, I don't know why I should fork money over for Scorpio, when there's already an Xbone under my TV, as an aside.

Zombified Andy summed it up well. Too alien and cumbersome for the casual gamers who are more than satisfied with their tablets and too low power and redundant for the core gaming enthusiasts for aren't big Nintendo fans. I'm no market analyst, but I don't know what Nintendo wants to do with this thing. By the way, do we have the price tag yet? Nintendo will need to make this as affordable as possible.

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:47 PM Edited by evh5150vanhalen, 20 October 2016 - 02:48 PM.

For the first time in a long time I kind of want a Nintendo..
I have a "New" 3DS but this I think is a cool concept.
I'm a long haul truck driver and I'm away from home 2-3 weeks at a time, so having a portable home console that dorsn't require me to have a TV cluttering my truck is a bonus..
  • OysterBarron and Ivan1997GTA like this

Mion
  • Mion

KD*

• Members
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:59 PM

I like that I can play 2K on the go, really interesting but I won't spend on just that.
  • DOOM! and Ivan1997GTA like this

Turan
  • Turan

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

I don't think a Nintendo console has appealed so much to me before. Making it mobile and playable on a big screen is something I definitely could use in my life. But I'm still not entirely convinced because it seems like it is going to be underpowered. So if I decide to buy it it would be for the exclusives and nothing else. And it just happens that most Nintendo exclusives don't appeal to me. The new Zelda looks cool and maybe a pokemon game but other than that I don't care for the exclusives. Tough choice, it all boils down to the price now.

I love the release date though, finally a gaming announcement that isn't more than a freaking year away. 

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

I guess by now we all can agree the game library of this platform will determine it's success. Hopefully until March 2017 we'll already know all the release titles avaliable and those coming later on over that year. Only on a few months we'll have an idea the quality and variety of first-party games, and if third-party devs give Switch a chance (and if Triple A titles would stick up to this console, even as graphically worse).
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

Whippet
  • Whippet

Initiate Slight Drift

• Members
  • England

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:06 PM

3rd party support will make or break this console.

For me personally? I only buy Nintendo handhelds for exclusives, being primarily a PC gamer. I use my New 3DS on a regular basis, whereas I have no other modern consoles. I however intend to buy this for use as a handheld, rather than something on a TV. Sure, I might hook it up to a TV for split screen, but otherwise no. Battery life is key here as well.

As for main series Pokémon? I want it to happen on this, but bear in mind we probably won't see it until about 2-3 years after Sun/Moon.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Turan
  • Turan

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:13 PM Edited by Turan, 20 October 2016 - 04:15 PM.

3rd party support will make or break this console.

For me personally? I only buy Nintendo handhelds for exclusives, being primarily a PC gamer. I use my New 3DS on a regular basis, whereas I have no other modern consoles. I however intend to buy this for use as a handheld, rather than something on a TV. Sure, I might hook it up to a TV for split screen, but otherwise no. Battery life is key here as well.

As for main series Pokémon? I want it to happen on this, but bear in mind we probably won't see it until about 2-3 years after Sun/Moon.

I think they will make Pokemon Sun/Moon available for the Nintendo Switch. Especially since it is a handheld console.

What would the price be I wonder. Anything above 299 is probably too much?

Fraizer
  • Fraizer

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:43 PM

Welp, thinking Nintendo would do anything different than this was a waste of f*cking time. Nintendo has gone in a direction I just cant get on board with.

Static
  • Static

DeadStock

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:37 PM

Shouldve skipped this and went straight to making smartphones, which is where they'll be at the end of the next console generation.

f*ckin Skyrim on a Nintendo console tho lmfao

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:43 PM

Shouldve skipped this and went straight to making smartphones, which is where they'll be at the end of the next console generation.

f*ckin Skyrim on a Nintendo console tho lmfao

If it's specs allow it to run pretty much games that are on current gen for 3 years (4, by the time it's released), that leaves much to be desired...
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

xxi
  • xxi

pretty n nasty

• Members
  • Wales
  • The Baddest Female
    Best CL Fan
    Best New Member 2015

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

nintendo kinda f*cked me if they go ahead and kill off the wii u this early

If it gets third party support, then I guess it's good for everyone in the long run, but its a shame the Wii U wasn't better explored.

wii u is underrated but it has unique games and I'm happy this next console is portable.
  • Tchuck and Ivan1997GTA like this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

@Quinn_flower: apparently this is meant to attract smartphone/tablet players, since it gives so emphasis of how easy it's intended to be carried arround, and the fact you can play your game either if you're at home or on the go.

This seems like a way for that type of players to get better quality games than free, pay to win games, while keeping the portability a mobile device offers.

The result, imo, is a confusing thing coming on the worst time possible (they managed to time the release right after all the competition is on the shelves), and that won't attract neither the "hardcore" (hate this term) players that want more quality and the safety of a platform that will stand longer and offer third-party games, neither the more casual gamers, that will still have to pay console price for something so similar to their tablet - "why paying for a device that looks like my tablet that does much more, and has free games that do the job of playing on the subway and 30/40 mins at home?".

I'd love for you to point me out a game on the App store that's on the same scale as Breath Of The Wild is...or even Skyrim Remastered for that matter.

See, one thing I love about Nintendo (in a way I bashed this in my previous post so can seem contradictory here) is how they are so adamant on sticking to the 'old school' days where Multiplayer gaming was having you and your friends huddled around a screen or two, which is what I got from this announcement video with the Switch. Not in any way did it do a Wii and show a family waving frantically around in front of a TV, no, it showed people with their friends out and about, split screen multiplaying on games...old school gaming combined with modern technology. Yeah, the joycons do seem like they may be impractical for long sessions, but I don't see any more efficient way of doing it. And so what if you have to buy a controller...we're in a generation where gamers are happy to pile sh*t tons of money into DLC, where headsets can reach into triple figures etc...yet you moan about Nintendo yet again offering a controller at extra cost...OK then...

People complaining about the power of the console already, yet nothing at all has even been revealed about the specs of the console. The only suggestion seems to be someone at Nintendo (forgotten where I saw the quote) mention that yes, it may not be on par with the PS4/One, but the quality will come from elsewhere. Maybe I'm just an old-timer, but to me, I still haven't bought into this whole generation where graphics are more important than gameplay etc...You lot stick to shelling out on Remastered games because the grass is shinier, and I'll stick to games that are of lower quality but offer more.

Yeah, we all, or the majority of us anyway, have phones and tablets that are capable of HD games etc...But the majority of these are still in the gimmick stages of tilt screen gaming or simple touch screen actions...Don't even get me started on the likes of GTA etc, controlling that game is an absolute ballache to say the least. For me, the ones who are using this as a basis to slate the Switch are looking at it completely wrong...it's still a console at heart, but basically allows you to pick up and play on the move whatever game you want. I just don't see any room for bashing this at all. I like to think Nintendo are aiming this at the older generation of gamers who have busy lives...if I fancy a game these days, I have to fit it in before getting ready for work, where I sit on a train, then walk to work...Switch basically means I can continue right up until walking through the door to work.

Was never expecting this to cater to everyone, and this thread is what I expected, but Nintendo have me sold so far with all this.

Oh, and here's a list of third-party companies fully supporting the Switch so far:

• 505 Games
• Activision
• Arc System Works
• Atlus
• Audiokinetic
• Autodesk
• Bandai Namco
• Bethesda
• Capcom
• Codemasters
• CRI Middleware
• DeNA
• Electronic Arts
• Epic Games
• Firelight Technologies
• FromSoftware
• Frozenbyte
• GameTrust
• Grasshopper Manufacturer
• Gungho Online Entertainment.
• Hamster Corporation
• Havok
• Inti Creates
• Koei Tecmo Games
• Konami Digital Entertainment
• Level-5
• Marvelous
• Maximum Games
• Nippon Ichi Software
• Parity Bit
• PlatinumGames
• RAD Game Tools
• RecoChoku
• SEGA Games
• Silicon Studio Corporation
• Spike Chunsoft Co
• Square Enix
• Starbreeze Studios
• Take-Two Interactive Software
• Telltale Games
• THQ Nordic
• Tokyo RPG Factory
• TT Games
• UBbisoft
• Ubitus
• Unity Technologies
• Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
• Web Technology Corp

• Mister Pink and Ivan1997GTA like this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:12 PM Edited by Zombified Andy, 20 October 2016 - 08:12 PM.

@KilnerLUFC: I said as a perspective of someone who's not into gaming (or, better said, that contacts with games in a very casual way). A lot of people I know are totally not into gaming, maybe they had a PS2 when they were younger but now it's something that's not part of their lifes. Some go to the point if I say I've been playing Fallout they look at me in a way you can clearly see they have no idea what that game is all about, when it's a franchise players, even if they don't like it, know it. That's the kind of people I'm talking about - someone unninformed that find enjoyment of those mobile soccer, running or trendy free titles. Of course I know they suck, but for people out of the subject it doesn't make a big difference, or are fine playing those crappy, yet free titles, rather than buying a platform and games.

About Skyrim, it's a great game, but originally released 5 years ago (6 by the time it's released for Switch). There could be a platform whose announcement titles would be GTA Vice City, San Andreas, Fallout 3 and NFS Underground. The games are indeed good, but why would someone purchase a new platform based on a title avaliable for last gen?

The specs of the console are easily predictable. It's too small and being the price tag around 300-400 dollars, you can't put top end tech on it. Even if they managed to make a deal with AMD for very powerful cards, it would require a lot more energy than the battery of it coud store to make it reliable, and a decent heatsink - I mean, my sister has a Shield tablet and that thing can heat up quite a lot, now imagine if it had an even more powerful CPU and GPU. Considering one of the third-party titles avaliable to it is, again, a 5 year old game, leaves a lot to be desired too.

Finally, it doesn't mather how many companies were announced as supporting the Switch. First of, there's no warranty they'll actually make new games, or just bring older games Wii U didn't received, neither how long will they keep the support.

• Static likes this

JON22
  • JON22

FECK U ALL >:(

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:44 PM

Good luck taking that out with you where I live. It would instantly switch from your hands into a group of savage chavs.

Wouldn't mind owning one though. Would take me a very long time to save for one. I'm too lazy to work more than the 17 hours a week I do now cleaning.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:21 PM

@KilnerLUFC: I said as a perspective of someone who's not into gaming (or, better said, that contacts with games in a very casual way). A lot of people I know are totally not into gaming, maybe they had a PS2 when they were younger but now it's something that's not part of their lifes. Some go to the point if I say I've been playing Fallout they look at me in a way you can clearly see they have no idea what that game is all about, when it's a franchise players, even if they don't like it, know it. That's the kind of people I'm talking about - someone unninformed that find enjoyment of those mobile soccer, running or trendy free titles. Of course I know they suck, but for people out of the subject it doesn't make a big difference, or are fine playing those crappy, yet free titles, rather than buying a platform and games.

About Skyrim, it's a great game, but originally released 5 years ago (6 by the time it's released for Switch).

Yes, the original was released years ago, but it's the Remastered version they're showing here, and yes, maybe a remaster isn't exactly something to be raving about, but I believe it's to both show the capability and the fact they have these companies on board with them.

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

What doth LIFE Life life?

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:31 PM

Just watched the ad for it. So it's basically a really flexible handheld? Cool idea, but prior to this reveal people were kinda expecting it to be a competitor to the PS4 and Xbox One. So unless that dock thing in front of the TV somehow adds more performance, this is probably disappointing for many. But I guess they could rule the handheld market once again though one has to wonder if the demand for handheld consoles are as high anymore now that mobile gaming has grown so popular.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:58 PM

I'm really curious whether the portable unit can work as a stand-alone screen for other devices. If I can plug a Raspberry Pi into it, then that makes it a universal device which can replace a tablet.

Or maybe, since it's based on Tegra, maybe it could run Android natively. Although of course that sounds like a very non-Nintendo thing to do and would still not replace Windows tablets (which I use), but at least would add more general utility.

I still think the best thing they could do is to also sell a version without a built-in screen.

Android
  • Android

gas exists

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:08 AM

Looks cool. Nintendo knows how to make video games look interesting anf fun every time. I'm not entirely sure I'd buy one, but honestly it depends on how much it will cost.

• Tchuck and Ivan1997GTA like this

dyspoid
  • dyspoid

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:14 AM

Like others have mentioned, it will all depend on the game library.

But, honestly, who are they targeting? I don't know if there is room in the market to cash in on android/apple gaming - after all, we have already invested ridiculous quantities of money on our phones - but Nintendo already owns the other side of the market.

The only people that will buy this are Nintendo fans - so they are only going to compete with the 3DS anyway.

I was kind of hoping for next-gen Nintendo. I didn't, personally, expect Xb1 or ps4 competition - but I was expecting typical Nintendo games on a larger, more detailed and feature dense scale.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:42 AM

The only people who were expecting this to be a "competitor" to the PS4 and Xbone are the people who don't know Nintendo. They haven't competed with those two because they know it's pointless; They don't have nearly the financial and tech backing to compete in the graphics power department, and decided to focus on what they do best: make fun games. 

Combining their portable and home divisions into one thing is a good idea. Now they can output a lot more games than before; the support for the 3/DS was already massive, and channeling that into one unified thing could be a huge boost to the catalog.

I'm picking this up because I love Nintendo games. Any great third party game that comes to it is a bonus. Being able to easily take this around when traveling will be great. Playing Zelda, Mario et al on the go will be fantastic.

• Mister Pink, Android and Gremlin Sombra like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users