Nintendo Switch Discussion Topic

279 replies to this topic
Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 2 weeks ago

As someone who worked on a FIFA game, he's full of sh*t. Most of the year is spent polishing the existing engine, adding a new feature or so, and killing bugs. 

They probably simply took an older engine with a FIFA build on it, built it, and called it a day. Same sh*t as they did for the Wii. Worst thing is, people won't like this, and EA will use it as an excuse of "oh see Switch can't handle sports game, so we won't waste time putting our game in it." Oh well.

In other news, in Japan, Switch has had a better start than the PS4 did. Even with all the shortages and not being able to meet demand.

Hopefully I'll get mine before the holidays, avoiding the ridiculous overcharge people are putting on it.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 2 weeks ago

If you still haven't purchased an SD card for your Switch, you better list that on your plans, since Nintendo of America told IGN some of the upcoming games will require that storage expansion. So far, NBA 2K18 will be one of such games. Interestingly enough, in case you purchase a game with such requirement yet don't have an SD card, apparently you won't be presented with a screen saying you'll have to in order to play, instead you'll be able to play portions of the game. "If you purchase a physical version of a game that requires an additional microSD memory card, you will be able to play a portion of the game right out of the box (for example, specific levels or modes)" a representative for Nintendo of America told IGN. However, the remaining data has to be downloaded.

I guess this was already expected, considering this console is expected to run games almost on par with the competition's home consoles, it wouldn't make sense to force a limitation to the games simply based on storage issues (fortunately Nintendo have learned from the N64 and Game Cube mistake), plus you'd need one anyways if you wanted to have more than an handful of games. I also appreciate Nintendo's approach of still letting players to enjoy part of the game which can be helpful if, for example, the parent buys the game for the kids not knowing it requires an SD card and then the game can't be played until that second purchase.

Still, I'm not too sure about having to download [large] files after buying a physical game on a console of this kind; also when you have to buy extra storage to play certain games (and I'm sure it will eventually become the norm) means the actual cost of the console ends up being even higher - Nintendo might not feel the need to lower the console price right now while it's selling like hot bread but for reasonable buyers, it's inevitable.

Source: IGN

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 2 weeks ago

As someone who worked on a FIFA game, he's full of sh*t. Most of the year is spent polishing the existing engine, adding a new feature or so, and killing bugs. 

They probably simply took an older engine with a FIFA build on it, built it, and called it a day. Same sh*t as they did for the Wii. Worst thing is, people won't like this, and EA will use it as an excuse of "oh see Switch can't handle sports game, so we won't waste time putting our game in it." Oh well.

I don't want it to get to the 'oh well' stage though. As much as everyone loves to hate on EA, having their support on the Switch is only ever a good thing. With the Switch, I've now come to expect that certain titles will not be exactly the same as their rival console versions, due to limitations and whatnot, but so far this isn't bothering me at all. Fifa has become such a parody of itself now anyway - stopped buying in to all the BS after Fifa 16. End of the day, a portable Fifa title will be a selling point for many people though.

If you still haven't purchased an SD card for your Switch, you better list that on your plans, since Nintendo of America told IGN some of the upcoming games will require that storage expansion. So far, NBA 2K18 will be one of such games. Interestingly enough, in case you purchase a game with such requirement yet don't have an SD card, apparently you won't be presented with a screen saying you'll have to in order to play, instead you'll be able to play portions of the game. "If you purchase a physical version of a game that requires an additional microSD memory card, you will be able to play a portion of the game right out of the box (for example, specific levels or modes)" a representative for Nintendo of America told IGN. However, the remaining data has to be downloaded.

I guess this was already expected, considering this console is expected to run games almost on par with the competition's home consoles, it wouldn't make sense to force a limitation to the games simply based on storage issues (fortunately Nintendo have learned from the N64 and Game Cube mistake), plus you'd need one anyways if you wanted to have more than an handful of games. I also appreciate Nintendo's approach of still letting players to enjoy part of the game which can be helpful if, for example, the parent buys the game for the kids not knowing it requires an SD card and then the game can't be played until that second purchase.

Still, I'm not too sure about having to download [large] files after buying a physical game on a console of this kind; also when you have to buy extra storage to play certain games (and I'm sure it will eventually become the norm) means the actual cost of the console ends up being even higher - Nintendo might not feel the need to lower the console price right now while it's selling like hot bread but for reasonable buyers, it's inevitable.

Source: IGN

I'm seeing this as some type of 'expansion pack' type thing, where the game will constantly need accessible files at the ready to run properly. Doesn't really bother me, with all the newer consoles I've always had some form of external storage for them anyway, just a shame this is more of a 'you can't play the game' thing rather than just storage.

Anyway, I'm liking the news that LA Noire is coming to the Switch. Yeah, it's years old now, but it's just great to see Rockstar/T2 are in some way including Switch in the release. Yes, again it's not going to be as polished as the One/Pro editions, but so what, it's a good game nonetheless, and hopefully paves the way for future support.

• Tchuck, Shaytan and Ivan1997GTA like this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 2 weeks ago

I don't want it to get to the 'oh well' stage though. As much as everyone loves to hate on EA, having their support on the Switch is only ever a good thing. With the Switch, I've now come to expect that certain titles will not be exactly the same as their rival console versions, due to limitations and whatnot, but so far this isn't bothering me at all. Fifa has become such a parody of itself now anyway - stopped buying in to all the BS after Fifa 16. End of the day, a portable Fifa title will be a selling point for many people though.

I agree 100% with your assertion. I hope that this game will still be successful enough that EA won't half ass it next year, but I won't be holding my breath.

However, if Konami decides to do a good job with PES on it.... That could definitely push EA's hand.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 2 weeks ago

I agree 100% with your assertion. I hope that this game will still be successful enough that EA won't half ass it next year, but I won't be holding my breath.

However, if Konami decides to do a good job with PES on it.... That could definitely push EA's hand.

Shame that Konami have so far decided not to release PES 18 on to the switch, yet for some reason are releasing it for the older generation consoles in the 360 and the PS3...However, EuroGamer have posted this article that seems to suggest that Konami are bringing something to the table, and it very well could be a Switch version of PES, as we have seen with Fifa on the Switch?

• Tchuck likes this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Mayhem Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

More and more third party games are coming to Switch, though just a port, it's still good and promising the future.

PS4 was in this port and remaster state for like two or two and half years.
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago Edited by Shaytan, A week ago.

We wanted a solid third party support, well surprise surprise, Nintendo announced just that. A few hours ago, on Nintendo Direct, DOOM (2016), the upcoming Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Rocket League, Resident Evil I and II were presented as officially coming for the Switch. Now, of course, this means two things: first off, companies are beginning to really see Nintendo's latest console success and surpassed the whole "it's not powerful enough" bias and secondly that, if these sell well as of course they will, not only the devs and studios will be more tempted to release new games for it but even more third-party devs will more likely jump into the bandwagon.

Unfortunately, this also means most likely there will not be Fallout 4 for the Switch otherwise we'd know by now (we still can't say for certain, though!) but hey, I think things are looking great so far.

Source:Nintendo Everything

• Tchuck likes this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Mayhem Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Unfortunately, this also means most likely there will not be Fallout 4 for the Switch otherwise we'd know by now (we still can't say for certain, though!) but hey, I think things are looking great so far.

Yes. It is safe to say that for now. So far the ported games (from what I've seen) are PS3-era built.

Although graphic and sound quality can be downgraded, games may not be able to be processed by lower hardware.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted A week ago

Yes. It is safe to say that for now. So far the ported games (from what I've seen) are PS3-era built.

Doom and the new Wolfenstein aren't really PS3 era, though. People really underestimate the Switch, but it is more powerful than people give it credit for.

Welp, I already have Fallout 4 on my PC with my tons of mods anyway, don't need it elsewhere!

But this is great news for the Switch. The more publishers and devs get on board, the better it will be.

Hopefully I'll be able to secure on over the holidays.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago

Although graphic and sound quality can be downgraded, games may not be able to be processed by lower hardware.

I've expressed my opinion not too long ago about the subject, but on a nutshell what I think is that studios just got used to that port easiness (or should I say cheapness) ever since the last generation when consoles' architecture became more pc like, achieving the culprit on the current one. Until then, you'd have the same title on the PC, on a console with considerably lower graphical capabilities and on a portable console like a GameBoy or the NDS. Simply put, the fact a platform is underpowered by itself doesn't limit a multi-platform game to be released for it, it's the devs and studios that assumed they shouldn't need to have that work.

BTW, have you noticed starting this year devs now have two new platforms from Sony and Microsoft they have to optimise their games to, even if they want to make a console-excusive title? You might hear here and there the complaints that the PS4 and XB1 are underpowered but in the end the games get released anyways; why though? While it surely is easier than optimising a game for the Switch for sure, it still requires its time and effort, however they have the safety to know the games will sell. It was the same thing with the Vita, devs would make ports for it and for a quite long time and never complained that a console [that is not an home console] was not on par with home consoles.

@Tchuck: I'm in the same situation minus the mods (still wanted to explore everything before that) but I'd love being able to play one of my favourite games on the go (and on the bed, and... on the toilet!). It's the same thing as Skyrim, it's just a fun idea to have an iconic game on a console of this kind.
  • Tchuck likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users