Photo

Nintendo Switch Discussion Topic

311 replies to this topic
Shaytan
  • Shaytan

Master of procastination

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:47 AM Edited by Zombified Andy, 23 January 2017 - 08:05 PM.

nintendo-switch-logo.png

GTAForums' appreciation, discussion and news thread on the Nintendo Switch console.

The Nintendo Switch is the upcoming gaming platform developed by Nintendo in partnership with Nvidia. It is the first hybrid console ever released by a major company, combining in the same device an handheld portable gaming device and a home console.

Launch date: March 3rd, 2017

Retail price (USD): $299,99

Game trailers:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Spoiler

Super Mario Odyssey
Spoiler

Official webpage: Nintendo Switch

UJyaEvR9sqg00_dZoLE4Y3KitI8AShqa.jpg

CrysisAverted
  • CrysisAverted

Formerly Sh4d0wX32111

• Members
  • None
  • Most Missed 2016
    [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Unedited
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:22 AM

nintendo kinda f*cked me if they go ahead and kill off the wii u this early

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

You Sir, Do Not Praise The Sun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:39 AM

I would be upset about the Wii U. I have some good games for it like Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong Country 1,2, and 3, Super Mario Maker, Zombie U is not bad on Wii U. I just can't find time for it anymore. I'm so backlogged on PS4 games at the moment and its only getting heavier come tomorrow with the release of Uncharted 4. The straw that broke the camels back with me and the Wii U though really is the fact that my son plays his Xbox 360 more. I might get him back in it if I buy him a new game or something. But alot of those games we have for the Wii U is games that me and my wife loved as kids. But kids today are a little spoiled and some of those platformers just doesn't do it for them now like it did back in the day for us. I just got him the double pack with Batman Arkam Knight and Batman Arkam Asylum with all the DLC for both for $13 for Xbox 360 and he loves it.

If Wii U had the third party support, I might be getting more games for the Wii U. But.......we know how this story ends. Even with NXX upcoming. If rumors are true whats under the hood of the NXX, probably waisted hardware if they don't pick up third party support.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

bloatedsack
  • bloatedsack

My boner.

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:33 AM

nintendo kinda f*cked me if they go ahead and kill off the wii u this early

If it gets third party support, then I guess it's good for everyone in the long run, but its a shame the Wii U wasn't better explored.

Presidential
  • Presidential

lol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:06 AM

I'm hoping it's something great. Nintendo is the reason I'm into video games.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

Master of procastination

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:10 PM

There's some more info and some more speculation about the NX.

Beginning with the trusteable, probably right info - this console might be powered by a Nvidia Tegra processor, a mobile-oriented chipset, the same found on Nvidia Shield Android TV. This means the console won't be anything near the stock PS4 and X1 in terms of performance, yet better than last gen consoles - if this is indeed truth, this upcoming console won't try to compete against Sony or Microsoft at all, but it also means there's almost a guaranteed lack of third party games for this platform.

Spoiler

Now the speculation - after all the rumors about the NX being a home console and handheld hybrid, and due to the fact it uses a mobile low powered processor, Eurogamer speculates about the NX being something like a tablet that could be docked into a TV.

nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable

Spoiler

If this info is truth, then Nintendo really moved to a very inovative gaming idea, clearly inspired by the tablets, smartphones and TV boxes that are popular amongst casual players - yet they're clearly risking a lot, too. There is plenty of reasons it could be a success, but also another big list of reasons it could completely fail, I think that would be all about what approach Nintendo would have on it. Finally, being a platform so similar to the casual games options avaliable nowadays, it makes me wonder if could this be appealing to non-casual players too.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:50 AM

From what I've been seeing online, Nintendo have better release something truly amazing to make up for all the negative comments it's already amassed. Fair enough, without social media and whatnot then it wouldn't be half as bad, but for Nintendo to have mentioned the NX so long ago, yet reveal absolutely nothing about it has annoyed the majority of people, and interest has dwindled majorly. The only real comments they've made is that it's powerful and that it will be a hybrid between console and handheld, but apart from that, absolutely nothing, not even a teaser picture or anything.

Oh, and the fact they've obviously paid Ubisoft a sweet price for some exclusivity since that's the only company to be praising it so far.

I'm a Nintendo fanboy deep down, so my interest is there, but I'm with the majority that says this needs to surpass all expectations to keep Nintendo in the competition, or get them back into it...

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:16 PM

This is Nintendo, they've been catering for old people, toddlers and at best, casual gamers for almost a decade now. 

Nintendo NX will be awful. 

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

Master of procastination

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:37 PM Edited by Zombified Andy, 10 October 2016 - 10:39 PM.

Cosmic Gypsy, with some hope, even though the console is clearly intended to follow the casual path Nintendo has been taking over the last decade, it might attract some big studios back and we'll have third party games avaliable to it.

A shame since the Wii Nintendo chose to take this course... GameCube was an amazing yet underrated platform because it was probably the one with the biggest variety of games in terms of genres Nintendo ever made, it had titles appealing to a lot of different types of players, that was what I wished the NX to be (without, of course, equivalent shots on their own feet like their tiny CDs). Nintendo wants to be a different company and not compete with other platforms, but their games are already different and unique, if only they could also offer the third party titles people want to play, it would be a success.

If their idea is more Mario, Zelda, and some other remakes of their old franchises but with the portability feature (if that turns out to be truth, of course) even the 3DS has more to offer - hell, I'd just continue to play on emulators on my phone...

I don't really understand why is Nintendo delaying it's announcement so much, it's quite frustrating even Xbox Scorpio and PS Pro were already officially announced/ confirmed and some info dropped, yet Nintendo is dead silent about the NX that was known for much longer. They got scared about the newer consoles and decided to improve it, because they weren't counting on them? Some people on the Internet speculate about that but I find it hard to believe when they have a product almost completed, to go back to the developing table. Hopefully soon Nintendo will finally announce it, and then it should be obvious enough if NX will be the success that'll put the company back into competition, or another casual platform failure.

Joemoetoe
  • Joemoetoe

Champion of the Amazons

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:26 AM

I hope it's more powerful than the new ps4 and xbox1 not another last gen spec system

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:57 AM

It kinda blew my head when I realized there's not a topic dedicated to the upcoming Nintendo platform arround here, so I thought it totally deserved one.

Because Nintendo haven't been relevant since about a year after the Wii was released. 

My top tips for Nintendo:

1. Stop fannying about with fancy hardware peripherals and make a solid console that can compete with your contemporaries. No one wants an underpowered console, regardless of the gimmicky controllers you come up with. 

2. Allow third-party developers to make games for you. 

3. Come up with some new games and stop rehashing the same IPs year in, year out. 

That's really all it takes for Nintendo to get back in the ring, but they seem to be content to just make a load of crappy hardware that is fun for ten minutes. I've had a Wii for 6 years, I've only ever played it twice. The last two times I moved house, I haven't even bothered to unpack it. I'm not even sure where in the house it is. 

That, right there, says everything about Nintendo. 

• Cosmic Gypsy, Coleco and Vikki_Suicide like this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

Master of procastination

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:04 AM

FuzzKnluckles, the Wii was a console released in a time before smartphones and tablets, where casual games were usually just amongst other titles for other platforms. It really appealled to that kind of gamers, problem is it was an underpowered console so once more third party devs didn't released many titles, or at least the big titles, to it (keep in mind both the N64 and the GameCube were, in terms of performance, superior to the competitors [AFAIK the GameCube was inferior to the Xbox, but still better than the PS2], but both used storage formats [cartridges and Nintendo's small CDs] that were more expensive, could only be bought from Nintendo, and had significantly less storage space than regular CDs). Most consumers of that platform were in the same position of you, got it probably for Christmas due to the heavy marketing, the motion concept that was new at the timee, and to play Wii Sports and Fit and not much more. Today most of those are either on second hand stores or forgotten in the attic because those same casual titles aren't memorable, doesn't really have any replay value.

Hopefully Nintendo's new concept might actually be good, and the differences actually lead to better, meaningful changes in gaming. Yes, appart their portable platforms Nintendo really f*cked up over the last decade, more and more got on their own corner from the rest of the market, but hey, even if they made such awful mistakes and decisions, don't forget they saved the gaaming market on the US from the biggest crisis in the industry, they revolutionalized gaming and many things that were completely new concepts back then, made today's gaming. Why not having an open mind to this new platform instead of throwing rocks at it before even knowing how it'll be? People today give much importance to raw hardware power and just expect that from the platforms, but what if Nintendo not only offer that, but also new playing and controller concepts?

Both Sony and Microsoft aren't offering any new concepts on this generation, if you pay attention it's pretty much stuff from last gen with few changes and more power (I know Sony's into VR and it's speculated Xbox Scorpio will work similarly to a PC being able to upgrade over time, but the first one is not on the shelves yet and the second wan't even announced), so why does the new Nintendo console have to be more of the same? Just another Xbox/PS4 but also with Nintendo's first party games? Changes and new concepts are what makes gaming, and everything, evolve, so let's first wait to see how it actually comes up, and how the industry reacts to it.

I know there's an high risk it actually fails once more considering the path Nintendo has been taking, but it doesn't necessarily mean the NX will follow the same course. After all, most of what we think we know about the console is pure speculation

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Coin
  • Coin

I'm the James Bardolph of GTAF smd

• The Yakuza
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:01 PM

FuzzKnluckles, the Wii was a console released in a time before smartphones and tablets, where casual games were usually just amongst other titles for other platforms

No, it wasn't. Both smartphones and tablets predate the Wii's release by a number of years.

• Fuzzknuckles and Vikki_Suicide like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

FuzzKnluckles, the Wii was a console released in a time before smartphones and tablets, where casual games were usually just amongst other titles for other platforms

No, it wasn't. Both smartphones and tablets predate the Wii's release by a number of years.

Correct. 

both used storage formats [cartridges and Nintendo's small CDs] that were more expensive, could only be bought from Nintendo, and had significantly less storage space than regular CDs). 

Yeah, I used to work in pre-mastering when I did games QA, I used to have to prep the cartridges for testing on all Nintendo platforms we had in-house. Not only did they have restrictions on the actual formats, but the machines you used to get the info onto the cartridges were proprietory too, you had to pay Nintendo to rent the machine, pay for the carts... 

I mean, they really don't do themselves any favours with this sort of stuff. And to think they're potentially going back to cartridges... it's like they want to fail. 

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

Master of procastination

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:29 PM Edited by Zombified Andy, 11 October 2016 - 02:23 PM.

And were they popular? Did most people owned one? And then, did they offered plenty of free casual games?

That concept of portable mobile gaming is a thing of this decade, sure it already existed before but it wasn't popular and that was the idea I wanted to give in that sentence.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

That concept of portable mobile gaming is a thing of this decade, sure it already existed before but it wasn't popular

I assume you've heard of the "Nintendo Gameboy"? It's quite an old thing, you may not be old enough to remember it. 

• Coin likes this

dante財閥
  • dante財閥

財閥

• Members
  • France

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

I'm really confused as to why this hasn't been announced yet. I was expecting an announcement during summer, with a Christmas release date. I'm *optimistically* excited about where this could go, but knowing Nintendo, I probably shouldn't be. They still make incredible content now and then but their refusal to follow the crowd does bother me sometimes. I'd really like to see a fully fleshed out Nintendo Network, similar to Xbox Live.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

Master of procastination

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

By "mobile" I meant playing on smartphones and other mobile devices not primarily intended for gaming. I think there's a communication problem between us. :p

And even though I didn't owned a GameBoy until 2 years ago when I bought an used one, of course I was familiar with them for a long time (I have a NDS from the first models I got back in the day, though).

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:05 PM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 11 October 2016 - 02:07 PM.

The interesting thing about the NX is...

Nope. 

Costs as much as a PS4, not as powerful as a PS4. And a whole FOUR games available at launch. My sides, they are splitting. 

By "mobile" I meant playing on smartphones and other mobile devices not primarily intended for gaming. I think there's a communication problem between us.  :p

My first QA job was working on Nokia's N-Gage machine.. nearly 15 years ago - a phone that was also intended to be used for gaming. Hardware manufacturers have been aware that this stuff would be huge for a long, long time. Sorry dude, this stuff is nearly as old as you are.  

dyspoid
  • dyspoid

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:07 PM

That concept of portable mobile gaming is a thing of this decade, sure it already existed before but it wasn't popular

I assume you've heard of the "Nintendo Gameboy"? It's quite an old thing, you may not be old enough to remember it. 

In terms of sheer joy, the Gameboy (all of them) may actually be my favourite consoles to date.

I bought a 2DS (it was cheap) a few years ago, and I have never really played it. There is just nothing to play.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:09 PM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 11 October 2016 - 02:09 PM.

It kinda blew my head when I realized there's not a topic dedicated to the upcoming Nintendo platform arround here, so I thought it totally deserved one.

Because Nintendo haven't been relevant since about a year after the Wii was released. 

1. Stop fannying about with fancy hardware peripherals and make a solid console that can compete with your contemporaries. No one wants an underpowered console, regardless of the gimmicky controllers you come up with. 

3. Come up with some new games and stop rehashing the same IPs year in, year out. 

That's really all it takes for Nintendo to get back in the ring, but they seem to be content to just make a load of crappy hardware that is fun for ten minutes. I've had a Wii for 6 years, I've only ever played it twice. The last two times I moved house, I haven't even bothered to unpack it. I'm not even sure where in the house it is. 

This.

Even when the first Wii came out, it was absolute sh*te, not impressive in anyway, just awful.
And yeah, Nintendo do nothing but focus on gimmicks, like the Wii movement controls or 3DS after the DS was released, honestly the last half decent thing they released was GameCube, I'd go as far as to say people who expect Nintendo NX to be decent are delusional.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:10 PM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 11 October 2016 - 02:11 PM.

The DS was interesting for a little while but sadly, they just timed it all wrong, again. Scooped by Apple and the other phone manufacturers. Nintendo need to do something that's either on-par with everyone else, keeping them in the market for another generation, or come up with something so Earth-shatteringly innovative and entertaining that they grab the market by the balls on their own terms. They are simply going to fail if they keep pissing about in the way they have been. 

• Cosmic Gypsy likes this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

Master of procastination

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:14 PM Edited by Zombified Andy, 11 October 2016 - 02:17 PM.

By "mobile" I meant playing on smartphones and other mobile devices not primarily intended for gaming. I think there's a communication problem between us.  :p

My first QA job was working on Nokia's N-Gage machine.. nearly 15 years ago - a phone that was also intended to be used for gaming. Hardware manufacturers have been aware that this stuff would be huge for a long, long time. Sorry dude, this stuff is nearly as old as you are.
I began by saying this wasn't a popular concept. The Nokia N-gage is considered to be one of the worst gaming platform ever made, so...

Sure, you can say cellphones had Snake and Tetris for ages, but does it really count as a gaming platform?

My idea is that before the Wii, there wasn't a gaming platform primarily based on casual games and stated the difference of nowadays where mobile devices have plenty of casual games, usually free, plus most people own one because of their popularity so people don't even need to buy a platform just to play that kind of games - so mobile devices dominate the casual games market. Hopefully I was clear enough now.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:27 PM

1. I began by saying this wasn't a popular concept. The Nokia N-gage is considered to be one of the worst gaming platform ever made, so...

2. Sure, you can say cellphones had Snake and Tetris for ages, but does it really count as a gaming platform?

My idea is that before the Wii, there wasn't a gaming platform primarily based on casual games, and stated the difference of nowadays were mobile devices have plenty of casual games, usually free, plus most people own one because of their popularity so people don't even need to buy a platform just to play that kind of games - so mobile devices dominate the casual games market. Hopefully I was clear enough now.

1. Irrelevant? Who cares how good the N-Gage was? The point is, mobile gaming has been around for longer than you know/realise. That's all I'm saying, I'm not suggesting the N-Gage was a good machine. I mean, sh*t, I played one every day for 14 months (for money, of course)  - You don't need to tell me how bad they are (and I suspect you've never actually played one, anyway. It actually had some decent games). 

2. Yes. Just like the arcade machines that play a single game are a gaming platform. Any machine that has games written specifically for it is a gaming platform. Even the oscilloscope if you want to take it to the extreme. 

What I'm saying, right, is that you're wrong, but you don't seem to want to just accept that and move on. 

• Coin likes this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

Master of procastination

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

Well, what I think is that either you don't get my point or I'm not being clean enough, and you seem to be acting like if I didn't knew enough about the subject, just because you're older than me it doesn't mean I'm ignorant about the gaming history.

I had a friend back on middle school who owned a N-gage, so again I'm familiar with it besides Internet articles, and about your second point, games featured on cellphones were just a gimmick, there wasn't really new game concepts for it or even a market, just a couple games to play ocasionally, it's not a replacement to a gaming platform, it doesn't offer enough variety of games neither does it compete with the gaming platforms back then in any way.

All I said is that mobile devices (AKA smartphones and tablets) made casual games much more common and easy to get than before, and that before the Wii there wasn't a truth platform based mostly on casual games, and being as popular as it was.

SAVILLAIN
  • SAVILLAIN

ha ha ha

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:06 AM

Nintendo always wins

• ll rdny ll likes this

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:01 PM

Just because the Wii and Wii U didn't quite equate to the success of the PS3/4 and 360/One doesn't at all mean they aren't relevant anymore, it just means they tried a different path than them two, thus catering to a different crowd to the 'typical' gamer these days. As much as I love Nintendo, they shoot themselves in the foot so many times that they should expect failures, but it's time to work on all that. For example, if I wanted to play online with my friends, the PS3/360 was a simple case of adding a username and voila, job's done...The Wii, if I recall correctly, had some type of code that you had to input and some other sh*t like that. The Wii U fixed this in some ways, and even extended on it by adding types of 'pages' for each game, like Facebook pages, where people could leave comments and start topics etc. By this time I knew none who owned a Wii U so wasn't able to test out how the friends system worked. Another way they shot themselves in the foot was by making certain games not compatable with the Gamecube controller, thus turning a lot of people away from playing certain games. As much as I love Zelda, I have never played Skyward Sword purely because it's motion controller only, and the same goes for Mario Galaxy. Microsoft and Sony offered motion control peripherals too, but were only neccessary for specifically tailored games.

On to your points:

1] All 3 companies at the time worked on the same overall 'motion control' aspect, but Nintendo were the only ones that tried too hard to force it upon everyone, whereas Sony and Microsoft released it as some type of add-on, realising it was just a gimmick. Had Nintendo gone the same way, people wouldn't be bashing it as much at all, but as I said above, making your exclusive titles only playable with the gimmick was a disaster. The Wii U did brilliantly though, and I don't get how anyone can bash the tablet controller at all...2 screens at the same time with touch functionality, yet offering a controller that worked on all titles...the tablet also allowed you to play the game purely on the tablet and have the TV turned to something else, and in a day and age where mobile gaming is huge, this was a fantastic idea.

People don't realise that it's not the gimmicks that kill a console, but how the company works with them.

2] Third-party companies were still releasing games on the Wii/U, but people were already turned off by the console for people to even care. Again, it's all about what the third-party companies bring to the table, or what they don't. Roll back a few years and you'll see that Rare dominated the market with their games for the N64, yet Microsoft bought out Rare and made them work only on the Kinect, this ultimately ending the company, hence the company have rebranded and are working on proper titles again.

Point been, just because you have a third-party work for you doesn't automatically equal success. Had Rare been allowed to continue making games for Xbox, it would have been huge. Conker, Banjo, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark etc...

3] I disagree and agree with this point. Keeping an exclusive IP isn't bad at all, it's just how you go about it. Mario is still a huge success, but just not to the extent of what we saw on the N64. Mario Galaxy worked on the gimmick, and then all we saw was new entries in the Kart series, along with side-scrolling games, whereas most people, me included, are still wanting a proper 'SM64' type sequel. Zelda, another series that relied on their gimmick on the Wii, then kept itself alive by means of HD releases, whereas the only real other entry on a home console was Hyrule Warriors, some type of Dynasty Warriors rip-off sh*t that I never bought due to the realisation it would quickly become repetitive and boring, and seemed to rely heavily on selling on the Zelda title alone.

Breath Of The Wild is looking great, but yet again getting bashed on the style used, and the fact that no real bosses or dungeons have been revealed, only the open world.

Nintendo are just stubborn and seem to want to stay away from mainstream as best as possible, which isn't a bad thing at all, but it's all about what they bring to the table.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:15 AM

Well, we're apparently a mere 6 hours or so away from the reveal of the NX.

We'll be treated to a 3 minute trailer showing... Who knows!

Really excited to see what they came up with. Hopefully not a WiiU 2.0.

• Gremlin Sombra, Shaytan and Ivan1997GTA like this

Distrom
  • Distrom

Forever Bulking

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:41 PM

19 minutes to go.

E•MO•TION
  • E•MO•TION

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu