Half vsync?!

5 replies to this topic
Gunnalingus
  • Gunnalingus

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

Does it really work? Does setting vsync to half really make the game run more stable? Most of the times I play with vsync on, and I experience some really disturbing stability problems, like one day game runs fine, other day it runs like 5 fps and sound would occasionally mute.

However, setting vsync to half , in my experience leads to stuttering, especially noticeable in cutscenes.

Anda7x
  • Anda7x

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:52 PM

Half v-sync is for 30 fps,if you PC handle 60 fps and you switch to half-vsync your game will run only at 30.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Aurora Creek, Oregon, PNW

• Portugal
  • Best GTA Series Historian
    Best Contributor in Rockstar Games 2017
    Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:17 PM

The stability issues you mention may be the broken triple buffering. Have you tried turning Vsync off and back on at the start of every play session?

Schachmatt777
  • Schachmatt777

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:30 PM Edited by Schachmatt777, 07 May 2016 - 10:31 PM.

I just alt+tab out and back in after launching, while the game is in loading screen to prevent triple buffering issues. With my 120 hz monitor, I use half v-sync to maintain stable 60 fps. For some reasons, this feels much smoother than full v-sync with a 70 fps cap via nv-inspector.

• Spider-Vice likes this

Suprix
  • Suprix

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:33 PM

You can turn vsync off ingame and force it via control panel (nvidia. Idk how to do it on amd). Half vsync is useful when your frames are very unstable and hit low numbers frequently. With a 60hz refresh rate half vsync will give 30fps, with 70hz 35fps, etc. Vsync totally off (game and control panel) and pre rendered frames 2 is smooth to me.

ZodaEX
  • ZodaEX

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted A week ago

You can turn vsync off ingame and force it via control panel (nvidia. Idk how to do it on amd). Half vsync is useful when your frames are very unstable and hit low numbers frequently. With a 60hz refresh rate half vsync will give 30fps, with 70hz 35fps, etc. Vsync totally off (game and control panel) and pre rendered frames 2 is smooth to me.

I'm not arguing that your game isn't perceptively smooth with those settings, however reducing your pre-rendered frames limit like you've done theoretically reduces smoothness. It's not an appropriate fix for what you're claiming to do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users