188 replies to this topic
Unruly
  • Unruly

diamond talk

• Members
  • None
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 4 weeks ago

If the protag turned out to be a racist that goes on to be non racist, then maybe it could work.

Flat out racist wouldn't fly at all though, especially in these times.

Lioshenka
  • Lioshenka

KGB agent

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 3 weeks ago

We all know Rockstar would never do this.

10 years ago the same was said about animals in GTA, and look where we are now.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Animals were never controversial anyway. If they added kids (which they won't) then there'd be a point.

Code:BLACK
  • Code:BLACK

The Leroy Sinclair of GTAO.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Animals were never controversial anyway. If they added kids (which they won't) then there'd be a point.

Good thing we have bethesda games and killable children mods for them.

Gray-Hand
  • Gray-Hand

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Tony Soprano is pretty racist and The Sopranos is one of the most critically acclaimed and popular shows of all time. It can work if it's done right. Characters have flaws, it makes them appealing and interesting. Obviously it wouldn't work if he had a seething overt hatred and was dropping slurs every 5 seconds. But it could absolutely work if it was done in the right way. I'd rather have a character that was mildly racist than one that was a feminist who marches in gay pride parades and checks their white privilege. Because the other stuff wouldn't make for a believable criminal in the slightest. 

Tony Soprano was a great character, and the Sopranos was a very well written show. It is actually a really good example of why a racist GTA protagonist would not work.

The writers used Tony Soprano's racism, not to make the character more relatable to the audience, but rather to alienate the audience from the character when there was a danger of him becoming too sympathetic. Doing that allowed the audience to become more invested in other characters at different times as is appropriate for an ensemble production.

That wouldn't work in a medium where the audience has to have maximum investment in the character they are playing to get the full enjoyment out of the story/game.
  • ClaudeSpeed1911, slimeball supreme and ten-a-penny like this

Brian_O_Malley
  • Brian_O_Malley

"I made that fool drink piss."

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Brian_O_Malley, A week ago.

It depends what your definition of a "Racist" is? The word has kinda lost its meaning in this day and age.

Also what race would the Protag be? Is he a Hispanic who hates Black's, A Black who hates White's, An Asian who hates all non Asians?

Racism isn't exclusive to one race

[EDIT] As other's said, I don't mind a Racist Protag, But only if the character is well written and the story is not pushing a political agenda.
It could make a good Character/Story if done right. I dunno why most people are appalled by the idea, It's kinda funny, We play a game where you can gun down innocent civilians and cause anarchy,

But God forbid your Character being a Racist because that crosses the line

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Told Y'all That Liberty City DLC Would Never Happen... -_-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

First of all, "racist protagonist" is an oxymoron. Second, the game would be effectively blacklisted by the general populace the moment the racism was made public. Third, Why? What kind of studio would create a hate simulator? What kind of player would want to walk in the shoes of a hateful "protagonist". The idea of hurling racial epithets and mistreating random people based on their ethnicity is disgusting, and I think less of anyone that would find a game like that appealing.

It goes without saying that it'd be the first GTA game I would not buy.
  • ClaudeSpeed1911, ten-a-penny and RaMMy like this

RaMMy
  • RaMMy

QA @ EA Bucharest

• Members
  • Romania

Posted A week ago Edited by RaMMy, A week ago.

Racist, being part of the KKK aaaand homophobe. Yeah, thank's, I would rather skip the game if the protag was racist, I don't want to hear every 5 seconds a racial insult  :yawn:

And for that ''Racism isn't exclusive to one race'', there's this funny prank on youtube with this black prostitute that hate's black and hispanic people... It seems if you are black, you can still hate other black people, man, I hate you all white folks, Imma go full reverse Michael Jackson  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 6 days ago

let these scumbags walk, eat, and bath in their own sh.. but none of these things in my home

• We Are Ninja likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users