Racist Protagonist?

219 replies to this topic
Tonguegirl
  • Tonguegirl

Gangsta

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:24 PM

Racism is wrong no matter who is doing it but we all know white people are known for that sh*t. I have never met a black person that was racist. I ONLY met whites that were.

Fair enough.

I don't think having an overtly racist character would bring anything to the game; as you said, racism is just wrong. Tbh, I wasn't particularly comfortable with Lamars over-use of the ' N' word. but that's a reflection of reality that's not discriminating against a particular group.

I think, rather than having a simple racist character, how about just having an all-out offensive character with comic overtones? There are numerous stand-up comedians and comedy writers who produce some brilliantly offensive material. Not hate-filled, just funny. I wouldn't have a problem with that, but they would have to offend everyone equally.

• Gtaman_92 likes this

American Viking
  • American Viking

WKTT caller

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

Or are you just reaching at straws to push some pathetic rhetoric here? As you're someone that openly supports both Ted Cruz and Donald Drumpf, I'm going to assume you're just making sh*t up to sound INTERNETAWESOME™, like Trump does.

EDIT: Actually, yes, I want those "facts" on a golden platter. Put up or... shut up. 

Ah, I see what this is. I insulted your misplaced Liberal ideology with my opinion and now you are butthurt... and reaching at straws says the guy who brings Trump and Cruz into the discussion despite the fact they have no relation to the topic at hand. Even a pretentious user like you should know that being gay or female in a world of crime won't get you far. 

Actually I think they're entirely relevant here, as you appear to be pushing for a racist character in the game, which looking at your list of rather pathetic interests in your profile, seems like something that would appeal to you. 

So, first off, if we're looking at Serial Killers, many of the most "successful" have been gay, such as Dahmer, Manson, and many many more. Their "success" is a loosely used word here, but still, notorious criminals and killers that identified as either bisexual or gay. 

As far as gay "gangsters" goes, have a watch of the film Homeboys, a documentary on gay Latino gangmembers,  if that's not too objectionable to you on the basis of being white, right wing and "Christian" - I won't go too far into this, but anyone that supports racism and homophobia has no right to call themselves Christian. Even a confirmed Atheist such as myself knows that you're twisting the values of the Christ. 

Notorious London gangsters, the Kray twins, who ruled over all of London's East End were known for homosexual activities. But I'm sure such a learned master of research such as yourself already knew that. Right? Or does the ruling of a major world capital for over a decade not count as successful to you?

I'm guessing that female gang bosses such as Queenie St Clair, Rosetta Cutulo, Griselda Blanco and Gertrude Lythgoe also mean nothing to you? Because they're women, right? Despite the weight their names carried, the fear they inspired and the immense wealth they gained from crime - much like Trump, you probably assumed that, due to not having a penis, their "success" is meaningless. 

I mean, seriously, man. All you need to do is a little bit of research and you'll find that, just like everything else in the world, crime isn't something exclusive to the white men of the world, as much as people like you might want it to be. 

Has anyone seen my microphone? I appear to have dropped it. 

How'd this discussion go from "would you want a racists protagonist" to you writing out a few names of serial killers who ID'd as gay, female gang "bosses", and you telling me what is and isn't acceptable for Christians? Sounds like you're throwing everything out there you can to try to prove a point which is rarely an effective tactic....but I will offer my insights regardless. So you gave me the name of FOUR women who led gangs...well compare that to the literal THOUSANDS of male gang bosses who pulled their own triggers when need be. You bring up a couple gay serial killers...again compare them to the THOUSANDS of straight serial killers. The point being gay serial killers and female gang "bosses" are so RARE that it's not even worth paying attention to.

1) you are nobody to decide who is and isn't Christian, and 2) I don't support racism. That's you twisting words as all Liberals do to slander someone. I said I am not against playing as a racist if the story is compelling, hence why I referenced it with AHX. Believe me when I tell ya that playing with a man who rapes other men, eats people, and kills nonchalantly is no worse than playing with someone who may hate you because of your cultural ideas. And finally, I never once said crime was exclusive to White men. Whites these days are actually in the minority of criminals. Prisons across this great country are filled with Blacks and Hispanics, most crimes are committed by Blacks and Hispanics (check out the FBI statistics by race if you don't believe me) but I better check my White privilege before I say anymore. How dare I speak the truth...that's the only sin 'round here. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!    

• Good Hombre likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:37 PM Edited by Official General, 19 April 2016 - 11:34 PM.

Tony Soprano is pretty racist and The Sopranos is one of the most critically acclaimed and popular shows of all time. It can work if it's done right. Characters have flaws, it makes them appealing and interesting. Obviously it wouldn't work if he had a seething overt hatred and was dropping slurs every 5 seconds. But it could absolutely work if it was done in the right way. I'd rather have a character that was mildly racist than one that was a feminist who marches in gay pride parades and checks their white privilege. Because the other stuff wouldn't make for a believable criminal in the slightest.

The Sopranos is a tv show about organized crime that's entirely grounded in reality, it's closely based on the New Jersey Mafia Crime Family, the DeCalvacantes. Members of the American Mafia and many of working-class, blue collar Italian American communities they come from are well-known for being racist or having racially prejudiced views, and very vocal about it - for authenticity this needs to be portrayed in the show. GTA is a video game that's grounded in reality, but not entirely, its not supposed to completely depict reality like The Sopranos would. So therefore it's not essential that a protagonist in GTA needs to be racist in any way to enhance the quality or authenticity of the game. The comparison you made is invalid.

zuckmeslow
  • zuckmeslow

Writer/Director

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:43 PM Edited by zuckmeslow, 19 April 2016 - 09:56 PM.

Or are you just reaching at straws to push some pathetic rhetoric here? As you're someone that openly supports both Ted Cruz and Donald Drumpf, I'm going to assume you're just making sh*t up to sound INTERNETAWESOME™, like Trump does.

EDIT: Actually, yes, I want those "facts" on a golden platter. Put up or... shut up. 

Ah, I see what this is. I insulted your misplaced Liberal ideology with my opinion and now you are butthurt... and reaching at straws says the guy who brings Trump and Cruz into the discussion despite the fact they have no relation to the topic at hand. Even a pretentious user like you should know that being gay or female in a world of crime won't get you far. 

Actually I think they're entirely relevant here, as you appear to be pushing for a racist character in the game, which looking at your list of rather pathetic interests in your profile, seems like something that would appeal to you. 

So, first off, if we're looking at Serial Killers, many of the most "successful" have been gay, such as Dahmer, Manson, and many many more. Their "success" is a loosely used word here, but still, notorious criminals and killers that identified as either bisexual or gay. 

As far as gay "gangsters" goes, have a watch of the film Homeboys, a documentary on gay Latino gangmembers,  if that's not too objectionable to you on the basis of being white, right wing and "Christian" - I won't go too far into this, but anyone that supports racism and homophobia has no right to call themselves Christian. Even a confirmed Atheist such as myself knows that you're twisting the values of the Christ. 

Notorious London gangsters, the Kray twins, who ruled over all of London's East End were known for homosexual activities. But I'm sure such a learned master of research such as yourself already knew that. Right? Or does the ruling of a major world capital for over a decade not count as successful to you?

I'm guessing that female gang bosses such as Queenie St Clair, Rosetta Cutulo, Griselda Blanco and Gertrude Lythgoe also mean nothing to you? Because they're women, right? Despite the weight their names carried, the fear they inspired and the immense wealth they gained from crime - much like Trump, you probably assumed that, due to not having a penis, their "success" is meaningless. 

I mean, seriously, man. All you need to do is a little bit of research and you'll find that, just like everything else in the world, crime isn't something exclusive to the white men of the world, as much as people like you might want it to be. 

Has anyone seen my microphone? I appear to have dropped it. 

How'd this discussion go from "would you want a racists protagonist" to you writing out a few names of serial killers who ID'd as gay, female gang "bosses", and you telling me what is and isn't acceptable for Christians? Sounds like you're throwing everything out there you can to try to prove a point which is rarely an effective tactic....but I will offer my insights regardless. So you gave me the name of FOUR women who led gangs...well compare that to the literal THOUSANDS of male gang bosses who pulled their own triggers when need be. You bring up a couple gay serial killers...again compare them to the THOUSANDS of straight serial killers. The point being gay serial killers and female gang "bosses" are so RARE that it's not even worth paying attention to.

1) you are nobody to decide who is and isn't Christian, and 2) I don't support racism. That's you twisting words as all Liberals do to slander someone. I said I am not against playing as a racist if the story is compelling, hence why I referenced it with AHX. Believe me when I tell ya that playing with a man who rapes other men, eats people, and kills nonchalantly is no worse than playing with someone who may hate you because of your cultural ideas. And finally, I never once said crime was exclusive to White men. Whites these days are actually in the minority of criminals. Prisons across this great country are filled with Blacks and Hispanics, most crimes are committed by Blacks and Hispanics (check out the FBI statistics by race if you don't believe me) but I better check my White privilege before I say anymore. How dare I speak the truth...that's the only sin 'round here. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!    

There we go, the fantastic "blacks and hispanics make up the most crime" statement. why bring that up? does it make you feel more powerful when you look at statistics. what does make america great again mean? does it mean to get rid of blacks and hispanics?

the number of incarcerated blacks and hispanics has no relevence to anything. how many rich white wall street executives are free when they have stolen millions of dollars? how many blacks and hispanics are currently in prison for crimes they did not commit?

keep throwing your bullsh*t statistics around to make yourself feel more powerful. 

you want some statistics, here are some for you

About 14 million Whites and 2.6 million African Americans report using an illicit drug

5 times as many Whites are using drugs as African Americans, yet African Americans are sent to prison for drug offenses at 10 times the rate of Whites

African Americans represent 12% of the total population of drug users, but 38% of those arrested for drug offenses, and 59% of those in state prison for a drug offense.

African Americans serve virtually as much time in prison for a drug offense (58.7 months) as whites do for a violent offense (61.7 months). (Sentencing Project)

you let me know when a cop pulls you to the side and checks your pocket because you are a minority and you let me know when a cop lies and says you have either a weapon or drugs because they want to make an arrest. ill wait for your response of, "im not racist, i have black and hispanic friends, but they are dangerous people".

• Gtaman_92, Piggsy pls, ten-a-penny and 3 others like this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:44 PM

Tony Soprano is pretty racist and The Sopranos is one of the most critically acclaimed and popular shows of all time. It can work if it's done right. Characters have flaws, it makes them appealing and interesting. Obviously it wouldn't work if he had a seething overt hatred and was dropping slurs every 5 seconds. But it could absolutely work if it was done in the right way. I'd rather have a character that was mildly racist than one that was a feminist who marches in gay pride parades and checks their white privilege. Because the other stuff wouldn't make for a believable criminal in the slightest. 

Sopranos is not GTA though. The idea and appeal of Sopranos was that it was realistic as much as it could and thats why people liked it. Mob guys back in the day were sometimes racist like that. And the show in general had a collection of miserable and despicable characters and it was just in your face. Everyone was immoral in their own way. That was just the attraction of the show.

• Official General likes this

zuckmeslow
  • zuckmeslow

Writer/Director

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:51 PM

and no there is no reason for a racist protagonist. f*ck racism, the only time we should get a racist protagonist is if gta is set on mars and you are racist against aliens.

• ten-a-penny, Niobium and AWPHUL like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:56 PM

lol there's no point arguing with a trump supporter
  • Kirsty, zuckmeslow, ten-a-penny and 4 others like this

inspectorjavert
  • inspectorjavert

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:02 PM

I find it funny how its ok to have a character that literally stomps a person to death, but a character that has racist views, no no that can't be allowed.  We're allowed to examine how a serial killer became that way in fiction (Red Dragon) we're allowed to see how terrorists became that way (The Lion), but God forbid we see how a racist became that way.

This is what's killing art more and more things are being put off limits, if Jack Thompson had railed against racism (and the earlier GTA games were filled ot the brim with racial sterotypes) he'd have won big.  Censorship is censorship no matter what the motivation or the philosophy that condones it.

That said I doubt anyone would like to play as a racist character unless it was their choice.  A side character would be very interesting, especially as an antagonist that becomes an ally. Hell maybe your character is one of the races that the other guy hates, but as he works with you he comes to see you as a person rather than a stereotype.

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

DILF in waiting

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Unfunniest Member 2013
    Unfunniest Member 2012

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:13 PM

I don't really understand the apparent huge differences between GTA and The Sopranos. What difference does it make that The Sopranos is slightly more rooted in reality? At the end of the day Tony Soprano is a character who uses slurs, who threatens a black kid because he wants to date his daughter, he's a womaniser and a cheater, he's sexist, homophobic,  he's a vicious criminal and an absolute c*nt in general. People still love him and the show, regardless of if they're Italian American, black, Chinese, or whatever. People don't think "This is a realistic representation and it wouldn't work otherwise". You're completely overemphasising that. And you're completely underestimating the extent that people can actually accept negativity and ugliness from characters as long as they're well rounded and well written and it fits and makes sense. 

• dognuts and NCRVeteranRanger like this

Pilotmonkey
  • Pilotmonkey

Hollow

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:53 PM

...Open your minds a bit. 

You gotta be kidding, someone drops the idea of a gay or female protag and you are either disgusted or against it, but in this topic you reply with these exact same words.

f*cking amazing...

Yeah i feel our society is crippled 

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:54 PM Edited by Niobium, 19 April 2016 - 10:57 PM.

Would anyone mind the next protagonist being a racist? Just curious.

Morbid curiosity has gotten the better of me, plus my last post got deleted lol.

Would OP object to a Black Power gangster picking on white folks?

That rarely happens though and you know it.

So you're saying you would object to a Black protagonist who abused 'white' people? I think that's very telling. You seem to think that racism is the preserve of white people. It's not. Sounds pretty hypocritical; you're original post automatically assumes that the racist protagonist would be white, but I switch it on you and apparently racism rarely exists in the black community.

So you want a racist protagonist, as long as he's white?

you can't be racist towards white people when they are the ones who hold all of the systematic power in our society. you can be prejudiced towards white people, but not racist.

• zuckmeslow and Fonz like this

Tonguegirl
  • Tonguegirl

Gangsta

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:06 PM Edited by Tonguegirl, 19 April 2016 - 11:10 PM.

you can't be racist towards white people when they are the ones who hold all of the systematic power in our society. you can be prejudiced towards white people, but not racist.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that makes no sense. :lol: and here's why. Not all countries are predominantly white and Racism is not a 'white-thing'.

• GTA_stu, dognuts, ten-a-penny and 4 others like this

zuckmeslow
  • zuckmeslow

Writer/Director

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:08 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble but that makes no sense. :lol:

what doesn't make sense?

• Niobium likes this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:18 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble but that makes no sense. :lol: and here's why. Not all countries are predominantly white and Racism is not a 'white-thing'.
If he's speaking in terms of American society, then he is correct. Racism isn't just some trivial thing consisting of slurs and insults, it's far deeper than that. That said, I wouldn't want a non-white protag who is prejudice towards any group either.
  • Official General, zuckmeslow, ten-a-penny and 3 others like this

Curtis
  • Curtis

it should be rather flattering to win Worst Group

• Daily Globe
  • Netherlands
  • Best Kitchen Appliance 2016

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:25 PM

a game with a huge racist as protag would get banned in a heartbeat.

Fonz
  • Fonz

Passarim quis pousar, não deu, voou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:32 AM

You sure about that? Because that was certainly the case in South Africa, Mozambique, Angola, Rhodesia, Burkina Faso, Algeria, Vietnam, the Congo, Guinea and tons of "not predominantly white" countries. Sorry to burst your bubble, but "reverse racism" isn't a thing. Racialism and the legacy of white supremacy are very widely studied, but I'm sure hearing 'Black Lives Matter' instead of muh 'All Lives Matter' is the real oppression :( :( :(

• zuckmeslow and Niobium like this

Tonguegirl
  • Tonguegirl

Gangsta

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:49 AM Edited by Tonguegirl, 20 April 2016 - 12:50 AM.

If he's speaking in terms of American society, then he is correct. Racism isn't just some trivial thing consisting of slurs and insults, it's far deeper than that. That said, I wouldn't want a non-white protag who is prejudice towards any group either.

Nonsense.

You sure about that? Because that was certainly the case in South Africa, Mozambique, Angola, Rhodesia, Burkina Faso, Algeria, Vietnam, the Congo, Guinea and tons of "not predominantly white" countries. Sorry to burst your bubble, but "reverse racism" isn't a thing. Racialism and the legacy of white supremacy are very widely studied, but I'm sure hearing 'Black Lives Matter' instead of muh 'All Lives Matter' is the real oppression :( :( :(

More nonsense.

If you accept that people of different skin colours are distinct 'races', then the concept of racism as an interaction between races exists no matter what the colour differences.

'White' people are often (wrongly) accused of being the instigators, and 'inventors' of racism and that's simply not the case. Don't get me wrong, white people, historically, have a lot to answer for, but racism per-se is not, as i said, a 'white' thing.

I'll take my bubble back now :)

• Official General, ten-a-penny and The Deadite like this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:54 AM

Racism is the belief that some races of people are better than others. People of all races can be racist.

• Official General, GTA_stu, ten-a-penny and 4 others like this

zuckmeslow
  • zuckmeslow

Writer/Director

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:56 AM

Nonsense.

More nonsense.

If you accept that people of different skin colours are distinct 'races', then the concept of racism as an interaction between races exists no matter what the colour differences.

'White' people are often (wrongly) accused of being the instigators, and 'inventors' of racism and that's simply not the case. Don't get me wrong, white people, historically, have a lot to answer for, but racism per-se is not, as i said, a 'white' thing.

you know what hurts? when someone tells you that the only reason you got into college or got a job was because of affirmative action. I don't think you can say that to a white person. 

• Niobium and Fonz like this

Fonz
  • Fonz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:00 AM

Nonsense.

More nonsense.

"Races" aren't even an actual concept in biology and the legacy of modern racism is largely derived from European imperialism, which is why all of those are related to it.   Funny how you were quick to bring out the little bomb with the "predominantly non-white countries" point, but then back out when it's clear that you've argued against yourself.

Furthermore, racism at a social level is a systemic mechanism, it's not just slurs. No, you're not a victim of racism. No, reverse racism doesn't actually exist. The idea that it does is a boogeyman created by liberals who in principle 'support' anti-racism, but rally against any form of actual emancipation and quote whitewashed MLK platitudes.

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."—Martin Luther King Jr., the actual person, not the made-up pacifist.

• Niobium and AWPHUL like this

Tonguegirl
  • Tonguegirl

Gangsta

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:15 AM

"Races" aren't even an actual concept in biology and the legacy of modern racism is largely derived from European imperialism, which is why all of those are related to it.   Funny how you were quick to bring out the little bomb with the "predominantly non-white countries" point, but then back out when it's clear that you've argued against yourself.

Furthermore, racism at a social level is a systemic mechanism, it's not just slurs. No, you're not a victim of racism. No, reverse racism doesn't actually exist. The idea that it does is a boogeyman created by liberals who in principle 'support' anti-racism, but rally against any form of actual emancipation and quote whitewashed MLK platitudes.

I'm not sure what you're reading but there's no inconsistency in my argument, and I certainly haven't contradicted myself. What you've done is an example of lazy debating where the opposing side gives the impression that a contradiction has been made, when it hasn't.

The second part doesn't make sense, it's just rambling

Fonz
  • Fonz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:27 AM

I'm not sure what you're reading but there's no inconsistency in my argument, and I certainly haven't contradicted myself. What you've done is an example of lazy debating where the opposing side gives the impression that a contradiction has been made, when it hasn't.

Niobium gave you a definition of systemic racism as an actual mechanism (used by white people) and you replied that his comment didn't make sense because many countries were predominantly non-white. I responded that white supremacy was also the form of institutional racism in those countries, so you're making a point against yourself when you bring them up. Seems fairly straightforward.

It's actually a pretty meaningful quote from the person that so many of these "all lives matter" people try to appropriate. It's a point about how racism isn't a two-way street and the people who act like it is are amazingly disconnected from any concrete, real context.

• Niobium and AWPHUL like this

Tonguegirl
  • Tonguegirl

Gangsta

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:36 AM

Niobium gave you a definition of systemic racism as an actual mechanism (used by white people) and you replied that his comment didn't make sense because many countries were predominantly non-white. I responded that white supremacy was also the form of institutional racism in those countries, so you're making a point against yourself when you bring them up. Seems fairly straightforward.

It's actually a pretty meaningful quote from the person that so many of these "all lives matter" people try to appropriate. It's a point about how racism isn't a two-way street and the people who act like it is are amazingly disconnected from any concrete, real context.

It doesn't matter who said it, it's still incoherent rambling.

I think both of you need to look at the etymology of the word 'race'. Perhaps then you'll understand why what you're saying is incorrect.

Fonz
  • Fonz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:41 AM Edited by Black_MiD, 20 April 2016 - 01:54 AM.

I think you need to look into history. Perhaps then you'll understand that what you're saying is ridiculous. Nobody's arguing about the etymology of words or the importance of beliefs. We're talking about an actual, real system, not the possibility of a non-white person holding racial prejudice. Beliefs mean nothing if they have no way of being practiced. That's why you should pay attention to concrete historical (and contemporary) context. Good to know MLK's (y'know, one of the most iconic anti-racist leaders ever) opinions on racism are incoherent rambling, while yours are sharp and logical™.

edit: we should probably drop this. It's getting really off-topic.

• Piggsy pls, Niobium and AWPHUL like this

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:41 AM

Racism is the belief that some races of people are better than others.

sociologists would have to disagree with you dude.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:41 AM Edited by Piggsy pls, 20 April 2016 - 02:43 AM.

It doesn't matter who said it, it's still incoherent rambling.

I think both of you need to look at the etymology of the word 'race'. Perhaps then you'll understand why what you're saying is incorrect.
What he's saying is not incorrect. The whole concept of race was created in order to justify European colonialism. Racism has not, and never will be, a concept that can be boiled down to just personal feelings and insults. Those don't hurt anyone, but racism does. It is trivialized down to such a "schoolyard bully" concept so people who have not been historically oppressed for their skin color can say "Well I have it bad too!"

But anyways, yeah this is very off-topic. I'll restate my piece on the topic, a racist protag would be sh*t and Rockstar would never do it anyway.
  • Niobium and Fonz like this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:55 AM

Racism is the belief that some races of people are better than others.

sociologists would have to disagree with you dude.

Sociologists don't have dictionaries?

• ten-a-penny likes this

Tonguegirl
  • Tonguegirl

Gangsta

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:04 AM Edited by Tonguegirl, 20 April 2016 - 03:13 AM.

I think you need to look into history. Perhaps then you'll understand that what you're saying is ridiculous. Nobody's arguing about the etymology of words or the importance of beliefs. We're talking about an actual, real system, not the possibility of a non-white person holding racial prejudice. Beliefs mean nothing if they have no way of being practiced. That's why you should pay attention to concrete historical (and contemporary) context. Good to know MLK's (y'know, one of the most iconic anti-racist leaders ever) opinions on racism are incoherent rambling, while yours are sharp and logical™.

edit: we should probably drop this. It's getting really off-topic.

There is no 'system' of racism. however, there are instances where apartheid has taken place. Also, quoting Martin Luther King doesn't give your argument more credence. BTW, I quoted this, not the MLK speech.

What he's saying is not incorrect. The whole concept of race was created in order to justify European colonialism. Racism has not, and never will be, a concept that can be boiled down to just personal feelings and insults. Those don't hurt anyone, but racism does. It is trivialized down to such a "schoolyard bully" concept so people who have not been historically oppressed for their skin color can say "Well I have it bad too!"

No it wasn't. You may want to have a look at Ancient Egyptian culture. That goes for both of you. My 'history' is just fine thanks.

OT, bad idea, unless, as I said earlier the protagonist is all-round unpleasant and takes the piss out of everyone. Get Seth Mcfarlane to write the dialogue and we've got a winner.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WE STILL LIVE

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Fan-Made Map 2017 [Capital City]
    2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:11 AM

...Get Seth Mcfarlane to write the dialogue and we've got a winner.

God no, i'd rather play as a neo nazi that having that unfunny edgy twat near anywhere gta's story.

Tonguegirl
  • Tonguegirl

Gangsta

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:14 AM

...Get Seth Mcfarlane to write the dialogue and we've got a winner.

God no, i'd rather play as a neo nazi that having that unfunny edgy twat near anywhere gta's story.

LOL, ok then, pick a comedian. Who would you have?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users