Trevor & Johnny Discussion

132 replies to this topic
ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:57 AM

If Johnny didn't die, the script would be different.

actually it would be the same since killing johnny does not advance the plot in any way other than the few missions where you are forced to help that asshole trevor fight the lost.

Of course it advances the plot.

Advances it in pure AWESOME!! :r*:  :lol: :lol: :lol:

• O.Z and SmokesWithCigs like this

M.K.N.
  • M.K.N.

Witness me, Bloodbag!

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:47 AM

If Trevor wouldn't kill Johnny, the meth will. Either outcome, Johnny's final fate was sealed to begin with in GTA V, be it death from Trevor or from meth overdose.

• O.Z likes this

FranklinsIron
  • FranklinsIron

TWR: Ryanssh*tPit

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:23 AM

If Johnny didn't die, the script would be different.

actually it would be the same since killing johnny does not advance the plot in any way other than the few missions where you are forced to help that asshole trevor fight the lost.
the script would be different. Even if short term. But not going into that.

What expedites everything is him killing Johnny. If he didnt, that wouldn't of happened and who knows..

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:33 PM

Well the whole thing why Trevor's beefing with The Lost would make much more sense than Johnny being killed within a few seconds. I'd imagine they'd probably be in a similar role to the ONeils. Maybe takeover that slot in the story.

The Lost's role isn't really that crucial, but if Johnny wasn't killed (atleast not as fast as he was) the whole story arc would have more meat to it.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

Well the whole thing why Trevor's beefing with The Lost would make much more sense than Johnny being killed within a few seconds. I'd imagine they'd probably be in a similar role to the ONeils. Maybe takeover that slot in the story.

The Lost's role isn't really that crucial, but if Johnny wasn't killed (atleast not as fast as he was) the whole story arc would have more meat to it.

I think that would require that Johnny have "more meat to him."

(And less meth) lol :p

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

M.K.N.
  • M.K.N.

Witness me, Bloodbag!

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

Johnny was doomed to die anyway, be it from Trevor or from meth. You can never escape death.  :pp

• DimitriFaustin likes this

MrEnigma
  • MrEnigma

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:35 PM Edited by MrEnigma, 17 May 2016 - 01:36 PM.

I think the big thing people are missing is the disparity between GTA IV and V.  GTA IV and to a large extent, TLAD, had a pretty serious/gritty look and feel to them (the story, characters, aesthetics......everything).  GTA V on the other hand has been almost the complete opposite.  Some of this has taken me a bit to pick up on, but everything in this new version of Los Santos feel's like it's been purposely designed with a lighter-hearted tone so as to permit larger bits of snark/parody/social commentary to be inserted.  I'm not saying IV didn't have any of that, but in comparing just the stories/characters........it's like oil & water, night & day etc.  

(just look at the characters - them being so aloof & designed to provoke compared to those from IV should make this obvious)

On that basis, including Johnny in V was stupid.  If TLAD sucked so bad, R* should've just let it be.  They didn't though and now what's done is done.  Comparing the characters & endlessly debating motives that lead to all this is missing the point.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:14 AM

Rockstar killed off Johnny to show that there are no happy endings in GTA, just like how Vic Vance died.

Okay then kill Trevor.
  • Gummy , Niobium, AzelfandQuilava and 1 other like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The new age of Bowling is here!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

Rockstar killed off Johnny to show that there are no happy endings in GTA, just like how Vic Vance died.

Okay then kill Trevor.

and Michael and Franklin all at the same time.

• Niobium and A.O.D.88 like this

O.Z
  • O.Z

Trevor Philips

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:13 AM

Okay then kill Trevor.

No, cos Trevor is a winner, unlike Johnny who was a born loser.

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:45 PM

Okay then kill Trevor.

That's a crappy reason to kill off a character, might as well kill off Tonya since she adds just as much.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:29 PM Edited by Mr_Goldcard, 20 May 2016 - 05:30 PM.

Look Trevor has shown GTA your true colors... unfortunately, V is just the beginning... look listen if we don't kill Trevor now soon little O.Z here won't be able to get a nickel for his grandmother
  • D9fred95 likes this

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

Rockstar killed off Johnny to show that there are no happy endings in GTA

option C
  • Uncle Vlad and The Deadite like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:27 PM

Look Trevor has shown GTA your true colors... unfortunately, V is just the beginning

Fortunately! V did a great job with this and soooooo many other plotlines.

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:00 AM

Rockstar killed off Johnny to show that there are no happy endings in GTA

option C

I might be thinking too literally, but that's not what I mean by a "happy ending." Option C is only an ending where the protagonists have an equal victory, that doesn't make a happy ending.

What I mean is death can't occur in what people characterize as a happy ending. Look, let's just let bygones be bygones. I ain't willing to drag out this conversation any further.

Okay then kill Trevor.

NO. I play a video game as I please, and I am not willing to sacrifice personal enjoyment of video games I play just so I can then stoop down to the level of someone who will not be happy until that person gets every single thing their way.

Claude Speed from GTA 2 and Trevor Philips are my favourite GTA protagonists, and I'm only being honest.

• ChiroVette, Sonny3787 and Al3x_XXI like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

DONT YOU WANT A 🅱ALLOON???

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:08 AM

Okay then kill Trevor.
And keep Michael and Franklin as sole protagonists?
Hahahaaaa!!

No.
  • A.O.D.88, Payne Killer and Uncle Vlad like this

Uncle Vlad
  • Uncle Vlad

annoying dick

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:40 AM Edited by Uncle Vlad, 21 May 2016 - 08:45 AM.

Okay then kill Trevor.
Hahahaaaa!!

No.

No Trevor at all, no more driving around in a Liberator listening to Rebel Radio and acting like an asshole? That would suck.

But no more driving through Tongva Hills in a convertible as Michael listening to 70s and 80s music would suck too. So ending C is the only option for me, all the protagonists have their uses. Even Franklin, although I think they wasted so much potential by making him so boring . At least I can listen to West Coast Classics all the time when playing as him (can´t imagine old ass has-beens like Michael or Trevor listening to this kind of music, lol).

• gunziness and The Deadite like this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:17 AM

Okay then kill Trevor.
Hahahaaaa!!

No.

No Trevor at all, no more driving around in a Liberator listening to Rebel Radio and acting like an asshole? That would suck.

But no more driving through Tongva Hills in a convertible as Michael listening to 70s and 80s music would suck too. So ending C is the only option for me, all the protagonists have their uses. Even Franklin, although I think they wasted so much potential by making him so boring . At least I can listen to West Coast Classics all the time when playing as him (can´t imagine old ass has-beens like Michael or Trevor listening to this kind of music, lol).

At least we agree that Ending C is the proper ending. I personally don't think Franklin is boring, maybe it's that he's too calm for some fans I guess. But he's certainly an interesting figure - he knows that by being calm, he has an

edge in carrying out his operations. One thing I've noticed is that all three protagonists and many of the characters in the game will work best when calm. Even the slightest emotional move tends to be a disruption.

• Sonny3787 and Al3x_XXI like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:29 PM

I think Franklin is awesome. Great buffer between the insanity of Micheal and Trevor, and for some reason (maybe its the voice and outspoken personality) he kind of reminds me of a slightly older CJ.

• Al3x_XXI, SmokesWithCigs and DimitriFaustin like this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Most Creative [Writing] 2016
    Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

Franklin is the counterweight to Trevor and Michaels insanity
A chaperone of sorts

But he is, IMO, horribly under developed. And he is for the same reason that I think Johnny is even in the game

Rather than craft an artful stasis for Trevor, building him up, showing his true character, the reasons behind his 'craziness' the story length was too short so rockstar had to resort to a quick plot device. Johnny has already been established in iv/TLAD as a tough character, resilient, the typical gta protagonist, so by Trevor killing him, it's a quick 'alpha male' type transfer; Trevor is automatically tougher and more badass because he's killed a tough and badass character. Also, Michael is always saying how crazy Trevor is, when in reality he's not that crazy. Trevor is a monster of Michaels making and rather than build him up gradually, rockstar wanted instant pedastal-ification.

Including a previous protagonist for such a throwaway purpose was very deliberate and I think to TLAD fans, it's a slap in the face. Rockstar knee there'd be some backlash. He is a favourite among many.

Franklin also, has very little impact on the story. He feels throwaway. We could have seen so much more of him and the 'gang' stuff, seeing how difficult it is to get out, him getting dragged back in, and finally after a struggle, he gets out, yet it's still there. V only touches on this (much like how little it used Vinewood), and I think it's because rockstar made the story too short. Take away the FIB, and heist preps and you've got a pathetical few missions. Some feel iv was too long but what about SA , considered to be the best gta by many. On every turn in gta v I see missed opportunities, from huge plot lines to small side activities. Johnny, niko, Luis, Claude - none should be decimated; what if in gta VI, Trevor gets killed by a new protag? Many will hate that. Leave past protags alone. Instead, write a more in depth and more clever story
  • Algonquin Assassin, B Dawg, simonp92 and 2 others like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:50 PM

But he is, IMO, horribly under developed.

I disagree, Mokrie Dela. think that Rockstar was very smart with the three protagonists. In truth, one or all of them could very easily have ended up under-developed by virtue of having three main, playable characters, all with their on stories. But what Rckstar did that was very smart was that they weaved the three characters together beautifully with a lot of crossover arcs. Additionally, they added a lot of very long cut scenes, which normally in games tend to bother me, but because of the fact that there were three major, intersecting storylines, I really enjoyed in V.

GTA_dog
  • GTA_dog

dank memes melt steel beams

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:56 PM Edited by YngDady, 26 May 2016 - 11:58 PM.

If Trevor didn't kill johnny, Brad would still be alive and we'd have a better story that actually feels like it fits into the GTA universe...

Since Trevor wouldn't be in Sandy Shores and Hanes shouldn't suck at shooting. f*ck this topic made me hate Vs story, thanks.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

DONT YOU WANT A 🅱ALLOON???

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:00 AM

Born to lose, live to win:

Rather than craft an artful stasis for Trevor, building him up, showing his true character, the reasons behind his 'craziness' the story length was too short so rockstar had to resort to a quick plot device. Johnny has already been established in iv/TLAD as a tough character, resilient, the typical gta protagonist, so by Trevor killing him, it's a quick 'alpha male' type transfer; Trevor is automatically tougher and more badass because he's killed a tough and badass character.

IMO, they tried to end TLAD's chapter very quickly, i always felt that Johnny was slotted to die in V as soon as i finished TLAD but they pulled out a moment not satisfactory enough, kinda out of character, R* could have written something better but they choose the easy way.

I said it before and i'll say it again, Johnny should have been an antagonist for Trevor throught the story, that would have been epic and Trevor would have looked like a badass, too bad they wasted that angle in some dumb cutscene to stablish Trevor as the biggest asshole in gta history, just brainless shock value.
  • UltraGizmo64, A.O.D.88 and Payne Killer like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:09 AM

If Trevor didn´t kill Johnny....

....GTA V would still have been an AMAZING story, an instant classic, and one of the best in GTA history. But it would not have been quite as spectacular as it is with Trevor putting such a fantastic end to the poor, meth-addled skell!

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:01 AM

....GTA V would still have been an AMAZING story, an instant classic, and one of the best in GTA history. But it would not have been quite as spectacular as it is with Trevor putting such a fantastic end to the poor, meth-addled skell!
Why do you say the same stupid crap in every post that relates to V and Johnny?
  • The Deadite likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:05 AM

It occurred to me that while I posted here, I never directly and, perhaps more importanly, succinctly, answered the thread question. I know how all of my fans here on this forum rely on my objective and absolutely, unequivocally accurate commentary and analysis of GTA's V's splendid greatness. And, much like the Grand Canyon, I never disappoint. :)

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:11 AM

i've said this before but atleast johnny got a proper ending to his story Luis and Niko will never get that,

Don't give up hope! I am waiting with baited breath for Niko to get a similar ending. The good news is that he would be much less forgettable if some future DLC had arguably the best character in the GTA universe do his patented Trevor dance on....well, you know where I am going with this. No need to get graphic, right?

We can still all hope for Niko to magically find his way to Sandy Shores in....perhaps a future DLC?

Ooooh! I have chills.

• Osho likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:34 AM Edited by Zello, 27 May 2016 - 05:35 AM.

i've said this before but atleast johnny got a proper ending to his story Luis and Niko will never get that,

Don't give up hope! I am waiting with baited breath for Niko to get a similar ending. The good news is that he would be much less forgettable if some future DLC had arguably the best character in the GTA universe do his patented Trevor dance on....well, you know where I am going with this. No need to get graphic, right?

We can still all hope for Niko to magically find his way to Sandy Shores in....perhaps a future DLC?

Ooooh! I have chills.
Lol I'm just imagining Chiro jumping up and down like it's christmas if Niko ends up in Sandy Shores. I can only see Niko in V if he's working for the IAA and comes to hunt down Trevor like this

Niko lands in LSX bumps into someone by "accident" and switches bags with them he then gets into a cab opens the suitcase which has a picture of Trevor in it with an address. He only has 24 hours to finish the job
  • Algonquin Assassin, UltraGizmo64, D9fred95 and 1 other like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

Ooooh! I have chills.
Lol I'm just imagining Chiro jumping up and down like it's christmas if Niko ends up in Sandy Shores. I can only see Niko in V if he's working for the IAA and comes to hunt down Trevor like this

Niko lands in LSX bumps into someone by "accident" and switches bags with them he then gets into a cab opens the suitcase which has a picture of Trevor in it with an address. He only has 24 hours to finish the job

Dude you should've been a writer on GTA V's development team. That's awesome.

temi4328
  • temi4328

"The crow no longer sings to me"

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

Least Chiro doesn't get aggressive when saying he loves V. Unlike the late Shadowoperative. I respect that.
  • Al3x_XXI, Payne Killer and DimitriFaustin like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users