Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should GTA next go back in time or keep it modern?

562 replies to this topic

Poll: What era should the next game be set in? (639 member(s) have cast votes)

What era should the next game be set in?

1. 50's or earlier (13 votes [2.03%])

Percentage of vote: 2.03%

2. 60's (10 votes [1.56%])

Percentage of vote: 1.56%

3. 70's (96 votes [15.02%])

Percentage of vote: 15.02%

4. 80's (124 votes [19.41%])

Percentage of vote: 19.41%

5. 90's (64 votes [10.02%])

Percentage of vote: 10.02%

6. 00's (32 votes [5.01%])

Percentage of vote: 5.01%

7. Modern times (281 votes [43.97%])

Percentage of vote: 43.97%

8. Future (19 votes [2.97%])

Percentage of vote: 2.97%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:59 PM

Modern day. Only back in time thing I want to see is a game based on Trevor and Michael's lifes in North Yankton before the sh*t went down.

And I'd like to see modern day versions of the other cities in the HD universe. Vice City especially......

Up to date. I don't want to drive old vehicles and use old guns.

This. We have LA Noire for that lol

Though I wouldn't mind old cars and guns being accessible anyways like the Roosevelt got added in V

• Official General and GTKING1st like this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:55 PM

Up to date. I don't want to drive old vehicles and use old guns.

This. We have LA Noire for that lol

Though I wouldn't mind old cars and guns being accessible anyways like the Roosevelt got added in V

LA Noire is set in the late 1940s,there's lots of vehicles and weapons used between then and now.

• thafablifee46 likes this

thafablifee46
  • thafablifee46

punk ass bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:07 AM Edited by thafablifee46, 17 April 2016 - 08:13 AM.

La noire and GTA are two completely different games @shadowfennekin
  • Zello likes this

Cameron Star
  • Cameron Star

Rock my socks.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

Oh no, I see there was a "Future" option added to the poll. I would really, really hate that.

• Official General, Beastly40, Dijital Binali and 2 others like this

shadowoperative
  • shadowoperative

GTAO IS GOAT

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:23 PM

Modern day Miami I hope.
  • Official General, Coleco and mp412rex like this

thafablifee46
  • thafablifee46

punk ass bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:43 PM

Oh no, I see there was a "Future" option added to the poll. I would really, really hate that.

I can see it now. The year 2078 , in a galaxy far far away. A immigrant from another planet arrives at a new planet. I can imagine how bad the music would be but on the bright side, atleast well get that jetpack kids keep crying about.
  • SlayerSnoopy likes this

BobFromReboot
  • BobFromReboot

Hustler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:50 PM Edited by BobFromReboot, 17 April 2016 - 08:51 PM.

I actually would not mind a future GTA game. It was done before with GTA 2's "Anywhere City" and if you look closely at the concept art, R* know's how to develop a cool future aesthetic. With modern technology it could look pretty much like the concept art.

I would hope they wait until the next generation of GTA games to do that, as it seems we still have one-two games left in the HD era.

If it doesn't happen though, there is always Cyberpunk 2033 in the pipelines.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:51 PM

I actually would not mind a future GTA game. It was done before with GTA 2's "Anywhere City" and if you look closely at the concept art, R* know's how to develop a cool future aesthetic. With modern technology it could look pretty much like the concept art.

F*ck that man, it just wouldn't be GTA if it were set like that.
  • thafablifee46 likes this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:11 PM

Its funny how many still dont get that GTA is meant to be ever growing monster. Basically its how they wanted it be from the 3rd GTA. Something resambling modern day criminal RPG. Going back in time is just a waste of progress.
You can still buy a Casco, some old clothes, listen to classic rock. So You have half of the cake already.

But You wont have such gems in your 80s based Gta :

Saliva
  • Saliva

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:12 AM

GTA:Online will most likely take priority again. Maybe even more so next time. Currently GTA:O and Single Player occupy the same world and run parallel to each other and I assume that would be the case in the next game. So anything GTA:O would do, SP would follow.

In my opinion GTA:O cannot generate the same kind of money that it does now, if set in any period except the last ten years. In a period pre-smart phone, perhaps pre-internet - would limit online player interaction and more importantly, slow down spending of in-game currency and in turn slow down the sale of cash cards.

As well as this; setting the game in any period except from the present day, would limit which clothing, cars and weapon options would be available to buy. For example a new GTA set in the 80's could only have cars and clothes of the period. Anything else wouldn't be true to the setting. Where with GTA V, when a new Lamborghini was unveiled in the real world, R* were able to create their version of it and make it available for sale, it couldn't happen if the game was set in the 1980's, because that car wouldn't exist in that time. It's the same with clothes.

While it would make perfect sense in SP, in GTA:O; where the focus is a continuos income, it doesn't make sense at all to limit what the player can buy or how quickly they can buy it.

• evd, McHase27 and Uncle Vlad like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:53 AM

With GTA online I think they could treat a game set in say the 80's as sort of an 80's themed amusement park if you understand what I'm saying. GTA online isn't really canon to SP so they could let the players run wild and ignore the time period I guess.
  • GTA_stu likes this

yoshiandluigi3
  • yoshiandluigi3

modder.

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

I think modern day GTA is the best choice. Personally, I think the 1920s-1960s were done great in the Mafia series and I think the 2030s/2040s-esque setting was done great by the Saints Row series (gets flame shield). So yeah, keep it modern.

• Official General likes this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:32 PM

I can imagine how bad the music would be but on the bright side, atleast well get that jetpack kids keep crying about.

Describe the music please, im curious what will the music sound in 50 year, maybe we both can get rich.

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade
  • Poland

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:49 PM Edited by Phnx., 19 April 2016 - 02:49 PM.

As much as I don't mind modern setting, I'd like to see the next GTA video game set in the late 1970s. Great cars, good music, and stuff...

• 018361, Zello and GTA-Biker like this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:51 PM

Like I said a few months ago, modern day VC, and then they can do whatever they want honestly. But we need a HD rendition of VC.

• SlayerSnoopy, 018361 and The Deadite like this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:33 PM Edited by LeopardGecko, 19 April 2016 - 06:22 PM.

The main reasons why I'd like a game set in the past (I'd love 70s or 80s):

-the game set in the past gives younger players an opportunity to see the times before they were born or when they were still kids,or in case of non-Americans the American pop culture of the time.Without Mafia games and LA Noire I wouldn't know much about 30s, 40s and 50s in America,without GTA VC and VCS I wouldn't know much about 80s,without GTA SA and LCS I wouldn't know much about 90s (I was already alive in the 90s,but aside from remembering some toys I played with,some cartoons I watched and other childhood stuff,I normally wouldn't know much about the decade,and especially not about the 90s in the US),and if I didn't play those games,I probably wouldn't really be interested in the past decades.With the help from video games set in the past I discovered a lot of music from the past decades,a lot of classic cars...

-the present is not as interesting.Even without GTA 5 I would see hipsters around the city,I'd see celebrities on TV and internet,I'd see reality shows on TV...,so I don't want to see more of that in video games,I want video games to be a safe haven from all the annoying stuff from real life.After two major GTA games set in the present,I'd like another game set in the past.I'd like a bunch of classic cars and motorcycles,a soundtrack filled with classic rock and classic pop,no more boring social commentary,no more hipsters,no more generic dumb starlet parodies...

And as I said in one earlier post,it wouldn't be impossible to make a GTA game set in the late 20th century (they already made them before),things like buying a car,calling a contact or taking a photo wouldn't be impossible just because there was no internet and smartphones back then,it would just be done differently.

• Zello, thafablifee46 and RogerWho like this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:35 PM

F*ck that man, it just wouldn't be GTA if it were set like that.
No, it would be. Go read some good cyberpunk books kid.
  • RogerWho likes this

icecoldkilla1467
  • icecoldkilla1467

ice cold

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:16 PM

i'd love to go back to the 80s 

the atmopshere the music everything is great about it and with the current graphics it'll look gorgeous

• 018361 likes this

BigSmoke1992
  • BigSmoke1992

dedicated Swinger

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:29 PM Edited by BigSmoke1992, 3 weeks ago.

I hope is that it would be 70's Carcer City and parody Chicago

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

DILF in waiting

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Unfunniest Member 2013
    Unfunniest Member 2012

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

I hope it's set in the past personally. 70's earliest 90's latest. I think it would keep things fresh, rather than having the same thing again and again. The modern era has been represented and satirised well in the last 2 games and there's not really that much more to do. They should go back in time and cover a new theme. There's more possibilities for them in the past and more ways to do something different. I just think another current era game would be a bit stale. 

• mr quick and 018361 like this

Cebra
  • Cebra

Eh.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Canada

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:24 PM

I hope it's set in the past personally. 70's earliest 90's latest. I think it would keep things fresh, rather than having the same thing again and again. The modern era has been represented and satirised well in the last 2 games and there's not really that much more to do. They should go back in time and cover a new theme. There's more possibilities for them in the past and more ways to do something different. I just think another current era game would be a bit stale. 

I agree.

Rockstar can only beat the dead horse they introduced in GTA V for so long. The millennial-bashing social aspect of it was funny at first, but it got stale quickly. What is there to satirize anymore? Meth addicts and retirees in Vice City? People are right when they say that the 2010s don't have as much of a set-in-stone identity as older decades. Rockstar has fleshed out the 80s, 90s and 00s so I think it's time for a reintroduction of the late 60s - 70s time period. There's so much to satirize and so much potential for good storytelling in Las Venturas, San Fierro or LC in this time. You've got the mob, the Civil Rights movement, and the crime-addled city New York was to take advantage of. (New York was actually very bad in the 1970s).

Sure, they'd have to do some research, but it's unexplored territory. You've got classic guns, cars and music. New gameplay features grown from the lack of convenience we're so used to. They won't do it though, it would be too risky to their Online business model. But I can dream.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:12 PM

They need to keep it modern for several reasons.

1. Most relateable to today's society. It appeals to the younger generations, as well as the old generations, in terms of tracks on the radio, and vehicles.

2. The smart phone and in game internet help keep the world feel like its alive.

BUT, I am not against the past. I think it can be done in a more interesting way. Basically, the story starts off in the past, like in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, or 2000's. Something happens. IE, your character lays low for a few years/decades, goes to prison, play as the original characters son or something. The bigger the gap, the more interesting, but it can't be too big, due to characters aging. So in my book, mid 60's is as far back as you can go.

If the next GTA is set in Vice City, I definitely want to see the 80's. The fact that GTA VC, and GTA VCS was set in the 80's is one thing that made them so special. But, since the HD era GTA's benefit from being in modern times, I would like to see it during two different time periods. Story starts off in the 80's, and then about half way through, maybe like 40-50% of the way through, it moves to modern times, aka the year that the GTA came out.

Of course though, if they did that, I hope that the radio stations change in a way where I can still listen to the tracks from the 80's decade. So for example, if there is a pop station that plays the current music, it would play the 80's  music in the 80's, then modern music in modern times. However in modern times, there would be another station added which has an 80's hit theme. It would play the songs that the current pop station played in the 80's.

Although, for the Online portion of the game, I guess that would just be set in the modern version.

Nice Person
  • Nice Person

KD*

• Members
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:21 PM

I'd like it to stay modern, since indeed there would be the most content for the games. A game set in the 50's with greasers would be cool but a games in the 60's and 70's would make sense as those decades had tons of crime.

• 018361 and Michael like this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:13 PM Edited by evd, 19 April 2016 - 10:16 PM.

I think it could be interesting to have a new city: Carcer City. or rather Carcer Cities, which would be based on Detroit and Chicago, with 2 plot time skips from 80s-90s-presence and many protags. 

The plot may be similar to 100 Bullets.

thespiderman69
  • thespiderman69

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:04 AM

I think it's much easier to stay modern than go back in the past and it would feel more relevant and connect better with people as they're living in the same period of time. Not many people can relate to the past, especially if you go so far.

Rufousmean623
  • Rufousmean623

Just a concept creator

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:41 PM

(sarcastic voice) GTA 6: Year: 6432 Characters: Bob, Sydney, and a robot named Phil. There would be hover cars and space ships! We'd be able to fly between the moon, earth, and mars. The guns shoot lasers and everyone has jetpacks. 

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:05 AM

how dumb you have to be to reckon "future" only as lazer gunz, jetpockz, und hover carz?

• RogerWho likes this

ASAP Marko
  • ASAP Marko

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:49 PM

modern day revisiting London would be cool. They'd have to find a way to work in gun grime though as we don't get much of that over here and no one wants to run around with a kitchen knife in a GTA. Or a modern day Chicago would be hilarious, that's if they don't want to risk getting death threats for making satire of Chiraq savages.

Coleco
  • Coleco

Shut up and dance you FOOLS

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:13 PM

I think R* are really good at period-set games - Vice City still stands out, and GTA:SA was a game I spent hours in just soaking up the atmosphere. Kinda wish both of those had come out as HD era games.

I'd like a GTA set in the 1970s. New environments would be cool but if Liberty City imitates NYC, then the late 70s would be a fantastic place to set a crime-themed game.

Liberty City in 1977 could be on the verge of bankruptcy, power cuts and riots, sleaze and vice everywhere you look, with mayoral candidates vying for power via underhanded tactics and smear campaigns. South Bohan would be burning - a lawless zone where the police never enter and street gangs roam free. The subways would be covered in graffiti and you'd have the origins of hip-hop to make use of too, both in terms of gameplay and soundtrack, alongside disco and punk rock.

I'd buy that crap out of that if it was ever made.

• ColePhelps, Zello, Ya Boy Punk Fan and 1 other like this

Dingleman
  • Dingleman

Big Mouthed Prick

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:37 PM

If they went back to 2001 (time of GTA 3 release) now, it would be almost as far in the past than 1986 was when Vice City released. Regardless, I'd like to see their take on culture during the turn of the century.

• ViceOfLiberty likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users