Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should GTA next go back in time or keep it modern?

476 replies to this topic

Poll: What era should the next game be set in? (560 member(s) have cast votes)

What era should the next game be set in?

1. 50's or earlier (13 votes [2.32%])

Percentage of vote: 2.32%

2. 60's (10 votes [1.79%])

Percentage of vote: 1.79%

3. 70's (83 votes [14.82%])

Percentage of vote: 14.82%

4. 80's (106 votes [18.93%])

Percentage of vote: 18.93%

5. 90's (58 votes [10.36%])

Percentage of vote: 10.36%

6. 00's (27 votes [4.82%])

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

7. Modern times (246 votes [43.93%])

Percentage of vote: 43.93%

8. Future (17 votes [3.04%])

Percentage of vote: 3.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Okay, hear me out here.

The year is 1985. You're at the TOP of your sh*t. You run a huge drug empire. Then you get put away. 
The year is 2015. You get bail and are released from prison. The person who bailed you out has a huge empire now. You work for him and end up finding out that HE was the one who had you put away. You then raid his mansion and kill him, taking your own empire back.

Driver Parallel Lines vibes, bro. First half in the 80s, second half in modern day.

To play as some old, washed-up, has-been gangster ? Not really appealing to me. If he was younger then maybe.

X-Vector
  • X-Vector

Knight Who Says Nay

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by X-Vector, 4 weeks ago.

Though my sentiments lie with the '80s, I've voted for the '70s era.

Not only has it been the odd one out so far, it also offers lots of opportunity for (loving) parody and general funkiness.

Second choice would be a return to (a considerably upscaled) Vice City, followed by "anyhing but modern times".

• GTA-Biker, LincolnClay and Daitojo97 like this

Lioshenka
  • Lioshenka

KGB agent

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 3 weeks ago

90ies. Let's re-create GTA 3 with it's amazing music, culture, lifestyle. Bring us all back into the chilhood for a moment.

Anything pre-1975 wouldn't fit GTA very well, it's more of a Mafia thing. And all of recent GTAs were present day, I don't like this.

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

New Bordeaux 1968

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

It depends on what the game's about. But in my opinion, GTA should (every once in a while) go back in time.
  • ClaudeSpeed1911, Rodger Cheeto, GTA-Biker and 4 others like this

X-Vector
  • X-Vector

Knight Who Says Nay

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 3 weeks ago

90ies. Let's re-create GTA 3 with it's amazing music, culture, lifestyle. Bring us all back into the chilhood for a moment.

GTA III is set in the year of its release, 2001.

GTA 1 and San Andreas are the '90s ones, with SA being the backdated/nostalgic of the two.

Rodger Cheeto
  • Rodger Cheeto

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

GTA III is set in the year of its release, 2001.

GTA 1 and San Andreas are the '90s ones, with SA being the backdated/nostalgic of the two.

And LCS.

Also, f*ck modern, go back to 80's Vice or something.

• ClaudeSpeed1911, Zello, GTA-Biker and 2 others like this

Daitojo97
  • Daitojo97

Thug

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]

Posted 3 weeks ago

That's the spirit!

f*ck modern times!

The 80's that's where it's at!

Crime, fun, good music and a whole lotta noise!

• ClaudeSpeed1911, Zello and GTA-Biker like this

NerdFox
  • NerdFox

YOU LOOK LIKE A WIMP

• Facade Corporation
  • Unknown
    Best Workshop 2016 [Runner-up]

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by NerdFox, 3 weeks ago.

I mean, it'd be cool to see an old setting and I'd definitely love and play it, but I wouldn't go with 'f*ck modern' either. As long as it's well applied and good, I'll be equally fine with it. Nevertheless, I would love to see either a 70s San Fierro, an 80s Vice City or a 90s Las Venturas.

Then again those are my two cents on the matter.

• GTA-Biker and LincolnClay like this

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

It was never about the money.

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Payne Killer, 3 weeks ago.

90's Boston or 80's Liberty City. Don't mind a modern setting but I don't want it ruined by the little kid sh*t of GTAO, I want a crime game not a grind and suck dick buy a car sh*t.
  • Official General, ClaudeSpeed1911, Rodger Cheeto and 6 others like this

NerdFox
  • NerdFox

YOU LOOK LIKE A WIMP

• Facade Corporation
  • Unknown
    Best Workshop 2016 [Runner-up]

Posted 3 weeks ago

90's Boston or 80's Liberty City. Don't mind a modern setting but I don't want it ruined by the little kid sh*t of GTAO, I want a crime game not a grind and suck dick buy a car sh*t.

Sounds good, but a 70s or 90s setting would also work very nicely in LC. NYC was very iconic in both decades so it would only make sense they picked one of these two. However, I think we already had enough of Liberty City. We had in III, LCS, IV and EFLC. Hell, even CTW and Advance (even though this last one is not such a big deal). Los Santos sort of has its own dose too, I say Rockstar moves on to Vice City, San Fierro or Las Venturas. They have a huge potential and I feel the company is throwing great opportunities away and investing too much on GTA: Online.

As you mentioned, I just hope the Online system works differently. I'm really tired of playing around with annoying children on the lobbies and screaming at their microphones or simply attack you when you're trying to hang out in Los Santos.

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Okay, hear me out here.

The year is 1985. You're at the TOP of your sh*t. You run a huge drug empire. Then you get put away. 
The year is 2015. You get bail and are released from prison. The person who bailed you out has a huge empire now. You work for him and end up finding out that HE was the one who had you put away. You then raid his mansion and kill him, taking your own empire back.

Driver Parallel Lines vibes, bro. First half in the 80s, second half in modern day.

To play as some old, washed-up, has-been gangster ? Not really appealing to me. If he was younger then maybe.

rehost%2F2016%2F9%2F29%2F81019c99-4776-4

• Payne Killer and Arthur Fookin Shelby like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Okay, hear me out here.

LOL is that picture of Walter White supposed to convince me of changing my opinion ? I have heard of Breaking Bad and how great it is, I don't live under a rock. But sorry, it does not change my opinion, I wouldn't want to play as a protagonist in GTA this old.

I still don't like the fact that Michael and Trevor were middle-aged guys, but I just forced myself to get used to it.

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by evd, 3 weeks ago.

no, it has nothing to do with convincing you, just to look at You.

also lol at "Walter White picture". He's name is Michael.

there is nothing to force you to like, if You dont like natural, real like looking gangsters, rather than

ekhem..

"sexy 21 sarcastic emo mma female fighter"

it doesnt matter if You know this show, while havent seeing it. Its well written and performed character, among others, which is the case that stands for the show's true level. criminal world isnt about young, handsome, parokouring guy "who seeks for revenge", becouse this sh*t is as old, as vintage b/w horrors. Conclusion? he eats your watch dogs 2 "criminals" for breakfast like cereals with milk. cold.

• Payne Killer likes this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 3 weeks ago

LOL is that picture of Walter White supposed to convince me of changing my opinion ? I have heard of Breaking Bad and how great it is, I don't live under a rock. But sorry, it does not change my opinion, I wouldn't want to play as a protagonist in GTA this old.

I still don't like the fact that Michael and Trevor were middle-aged guys, but I just forced myself to get used to it.

But that's not Walter, its the beast Mike. :lol:

I agree with you though, Rockstar has shown that they can't create a middle aged character without adding some Midlife crisis joke thrown everywhere. Atleast from What I learned from GTA5. A young character working his way up, or if they want to please both sides then someone the same age as Tommy would be best.

I like the idea of starting in the past then switching eras half way through, it could be a nice change but it depends on how they do it. 

• Official General and Payne Killer like this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I agree with you though, Rockstar has shown that they can't create a middle aged character without adding some Midlife crisis joke thrown everywhere. 

Niko-Bellic.jpg

• (Ambient), ClaudeSpeed1911 and Payne Killer like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Zello, 3 weeks ago.

IMO the oldest a character should be is Between 38-43 anything older than that IDK though I'm fine with them being older if they're a badass like Mike from Breaking bad.

I think that all GTA protagonists should be in their thirties.

X-Vector
  • X-Vector

Knight Who Says Nay

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 3 weeks ago

I see your picture of Walter White and raise you a picture of... Walter White:

gusfring.jpg

Dude's got lots of '80s credentials too; Trading Places, Desperately Seeking Susan, Miami VIce, Do the Right Thing and Sesame Street.

LaDiDa
  • LaDiDa

I'm only human

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 3 weeks ago

Keep it modern... Let's go sci-fi next  :whistle:

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 3 weeks ago

I agree with you though, Rockstar has shown that they can't create a middle aged character without adding some Midlife crisis joke thrown everywhere. 

Niko-Bellic.jpg

I was thinking of Niko when I said that but I wasn't sure if I should mention him since he is a whole different beast and is in his 30's. What I meant was the older guys that are over 45 years.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Official General, 3 weeks ago.

no, it has nothing to do with convincing you, just to look at You.

also lol at "Walter White picture". He's name is Michael.

there is nothing to force you to like, if You dont like natural, real like looking gangsters, rather than

ekhem..

"sexy 21 sarcastic emo mma female fighter"

it doesnt matter if You know this show, while havent seeing it. Its well written and performed character, among others, which is the case that stands for the show's true level. criminal world isnt about young, handsome, parokouring guy "who seeks for revenge", becouse this sh*t is as old, as vintage b/w horrors. Conclusion? he eats your watch dogs 2 "criminals" for breakfast like cereals with milk. cold.

??

Lol regarding myself here, this makes no sense whatsoever because :

* "sexy 21 sarcastic emo mma female fighter" - That's not my ideal protagonist, far from it. In fact I would not even want a woman protagonist in GTA at all, if you've read my posts in the past on this subject you would've seen this.

* "criminal world isn't about young, handsome, parokouring guy "who seeks for revenge" - Show me where I ever said this or expressed this view point ? You won't find an example, because I've never ever said such a thing on here. Why would you even mention criminals in GTA as being "handsome men" anyway ? It's a bit bizarre and random to have that on your mind, and a bit suspect if you ask me.

* "Conclusion? he eats your watch dogs 2 "criminals" for breakfast like cereals with milk. cold" - I've NEVER played Watch Dogs 2, so I have no idea as to what exactly you meant by that. And going by that corny last part, I'm gonna assume you watch too many Hollywood B-action movies.

You tried to sound smart and smug in an attempt to dismiss my views by assuming you knew about me and what my preferences are - you're dead wrong on all counts my friend. And by the way Niko is not middle-aged, since when was mid-30s middle aged ? In your own head maybe, not in real life.

I like real, natural looking gangster protagonists in GTA that perfectly fit the identity and theme created for them. Tommy Vercetti - Italian-American Mafioso, experienced, ruthless and very ambitious mobster in his mid-30s wanting his own empire, CJ - a struggling young African-American lowly thug and gang member from the ghetto caught up in a difficult situation, Niko - in his mid-30s, a battle-hardened Eastern European freelance hired gun for various crime organizations. That's what appeals to me, you get the picture.

@ Claude

Thanks for correcting me, but I'm sure you and others got the message I was conveying :cool:

• ClaudeSpeed1911 and Daitojo97 like this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by evd, 2 weeks ago.

Niko-Bellic.jpg

I was thinking of Niko when I said that but I wasn't sure if I should mention him since he is a whole different beast and is in his 30's. What I meant was the older guys that are over 45 years.

I think the battle experience he had in his past aged him. Maybe its the easteuropean appeal, or the stress. Niko looks tired, believable. CJ and Tommy are the worst characters in the series, totally kid-targetet - one is afro-american yo-yo-bang bang on the bmx while backflippin, the second is just some dude in blue shirt, pushing childish jokes. straight to the morgue.  Nico and Trevor are fitting the concept of the GTA. Aged. Damaged. Experienced and cold blooded.

Darkstar616
  • Darkstar616

Mostly British

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

If I could pick a time and place it would be 90s Berlin but since we're always stuck with America, 80s would be pretty cool to experience again. There's only so much bullsh*t I can put up with in modern GTA, the awful music for one. I never used snapmatic or really anything on the phone that much anyway. I came from a generation of kids who had parents that lived through the 80s, when I played Vice City I had that doorway to enjoy the setting even though I didn't quite understand the references (or even the city) and yet it was still a great game for me. Since that game out in 2002, I really don't think the 12 year olds of today are going to understand or appreciate anything about the culture of the late last century. 

Going modern is a lot safer if Rockstar want any of that broad demographic money and I'm pretty sure they care more about the money than they do about the fans, so oh well. Maybe we'll get a VC remaster. Probably not.

• Daitojo97 likes this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by evd, 2 weeks ago.

if R* were about the money, they would definetely do 80s again. probably over and over.

music argument is like... wut mate? do you even dig?

https://soundcloud.c...thics-fkof-free

LibertonianGirl
  • LibertonianGirl

Born in Dukes

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Like many others said Mafia already portrays the 70s 60s 50s and even earlier (and do a pretty good job of it too) I think R* should just keep GTA in modern times because they would definitely lose sales to certain people,

And we all know R* doesn't want to lose sales!

And Vice City would be soo boring at this time because it is basically just another L.A. yet on the west coast

I'd really like the next GTA to be in Liberty City (no surprise I guess) and if I couldn't have that I definitely wouldn't want Vice City

How about Seattle? or North Yankton along with a parody of Wisconsin to extend the map?

And if they do visit Liberty again (hopefully) make it just so its not a remaster of GTA IV but add the Carraways, add Staten Island. and add a parody of Philadelphia oh and out of everything! PUT AT LEAST HALF OF IF NOT ALL OF ALDERNEY BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS GODDAMN WELL WHAT WE SAW IN GTA IV IS NOT ALL OF ALDERNEY

.Emmi
  • .Emmi

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Austria

Posted A week ago

I hope they go back in time with the next GTA. In addition to REAL music it would be a possibility for lots of interesting gameplay mechanics. New York City in the 70's or so ... would be a dream come true.
  • GTA-Biker and Daitojo97 like this

DoomsdayFAN
  • DoomsdayFAN

ICE

• Members
  • Iceland

Posted A week ago

I'd be totally down for either a 50s or 70s set game.

Toreno6901
  • Toreno6901

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted A week ago

I'd say a mash-up of both the past, and the future.
GTA games have a reputation to maintain as one of the best
in existence.
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users