Photo

Leslie Benzies sues TT for $150M in unpaid royalties

1,027 replies to this topic
D T
  • D T

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:15 AM Edited by D T, 18 September 2017 - 06:38 AM.

Most people who fanboy over Leslie are also the same people who hate on GTA Online and microtransactions. How can you be such a huge hypocrite? Leslie clearly said that GTA Online was his idea and he wanted to make it a top priority. Sam and Dan Houser focused on single player. Their idea of multiplayer was most likely the gang wars mode that was leaked a while ago.

Back in 2013, GTA Online was a truly great game with amazing potential. Every item in the game was reasonably priced. It wasn't until Leslie left did Rockstar begin aggressively introducing paywalls for new content.

...while Housers push for a criminal work simulator it has been since start

509581134.jpg
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

charles8777
  • charles8777

Player Hater

• Members
  • Honduras

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:31 AM

this is why we dont have SP DLC for GTA V, instead we have overpriced stuff and vehicles on Online and shark cards, RDR 2 gonna suck

• NeonDolphin likes this

theGTAway
  • theGTAway

Your member title is shown beside posts you make

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

this is why we dont have SP DLC for GTA V, instead we have overpriced stuff and vehicles on Online and shark cards, RDR 2 gonna suck

I have a bad feeling about RDR2. Bring on 'Everywhere' which should be out before GTA VI. Around 2020 with any luck.

Weird Colors
  • Weird Colors

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Weird Colors, 2 weeks ago.

What happened to all of the clueless people in this thread that said "GTA won't be the same without Leslie Bënzies" ?, because GTA Online updates have been doing fine without the overrated Leslie Bënzies.

I think far too many people in this thread foolishly jumped on the Leslie Bënzies bandwagon :blink:

it also sounds like Leslie Bënzies lawsuit has FAILED, judging by these 2 links haha, good riddance. :miranda:

Source:

http://caselaw.findl...on/1892881.html

https://law.justia.c...-5396-5395.html

• BLOOD and mombo2811 like this

.Emmi
  • .Emmi

Soldier

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 2 weeks ago

What happened to all of the clueless people in this thread that said GTA won't be the same without Leslie Bënzies ?, because GTA Online updates have been doing fine without the overrated Leslie Bënzies.

I think far too many people in this thread foolishly jumped on the Leslie Bënzies bandwagon :blink:

it also sounds like Leslie Bënzies lawsuit has FAILED, judging by these 2 links haha, good riddance. :miranda:

Source:

OK, time to close this thread then.

:r*:

• Weird Colors and BLOOD like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Best Conversion 2017 Contribution [Liberty City Stories: PC]
    Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 2 weeks ago

because GTA Online updates have been doing fine without the overrated Leslie Bënzies.

Drip feeding vehicles and re-puposing the Single Player DLC they had isn't exactly what I'd call doing fine, especially as it's now been YEARS since we've had an actual new game from Rockstar and RDR2 keeps getting delayed due to internal issues.

You're happy that Rockstar and Take-Two royally screwed over their workers? Your choice man but the damage has already been done, Rockstar North is a shell of it's former self and staff continue to leave and join Leslie's studio instead.
  • Hmmm nice bike, Gtaman_92, UltraGizmo64 and 4 others like this

RM76
  • RM76

GTAF visitor since 2005

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by RM76, 2 weeks ago.

-retardation-

You bumped this thread to add this piece of genius....amazing.

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

Formerly: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None
  • Take-Two Analyst of the Year

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by BLOOD, 2 weeks ago.

What happened to all of the clueless people in this thread that said "GTA won't be the same without Leslie Bënzies" ?, because GTA Online updates have been doing fine without the overrated Leslie Bënzies.

Source:

Greatness 👏👏👏👍👌

Long Live GTA, Rockstar, and Take-Two!

Note: Interestingly, this case and Logan's were dismissed same week. Two wins for Take-Two. Now I hope they win the NBA tattoo case.
  • Weird Colors likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Greatness

Long Live GTA, Rockstar, and Take-Two!

You only care about their stocks anyway, for the average gamer this just means even more microtransactions and sh*tty tactics.

smh praising a company that even went as low as to attacking THIS community MULTIPLE times.
  • Hmmm nice bike, Gtaman_92, LaBombaRomba and 2 others like this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

I care about the company and it subsidiaries and employees- 3.7k in numbers. Not just the stock. I mean what was one employee thinking filing a lawsuit that he knows he will not win. I mean Take-Two owns the companies and franchises and that royal plan was created by them so they can shutter it anytime or change it. Good to see the case is over. And like Emmi said I think this thread is now done and should be closed.

Weird Colors
  • Weird Colors

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Drip feeding vehicles and re-puposing the Single Player DLC they had isn't exactly what I'd call doing fine, especially as it's now been YEARS since we've had an actual new game from Rockstar and RDR2 keeps getting delayed due to internal issues.

Yea, because R* has NEVER delayed a game in the past while Leslie Bënzies was there *Sarcasm* *Cough* GTA IV, Max Payne 3.

I don't care about drip feeding, and a lot of the previous GTA Online updates have been good without Leslie Bënzies, Doomsday Heist, Smuggler's Run, Gunrunning, Import/Export.

You're happy that Rockstar and Take-Two royally screwed over their workers? Your choice man but the damage has already been done, Rockstar North is a shell of it's former self and staff continue to leave and join Leslie's studio instead.

OH NO, the R* staff that left are instead going to join Leslie Bënzies SINKING Ship ? :pirate: , and Leslie Bënzies game will most likely sell POORLY, that will be amusing to watch. :lol:

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Yea, because R* has NEVER delayed a game in the past while Leslie Bënzies was there *Sarcasm* *Cough* GTA IV.

I don't care about drip feeding, and a lot of the previous GTA Online updates have been good without Leslie Bënzies, Doomsday Heist, Smuggler's Run, Gunrunning, Import/Export.

Oh NO, the R* staff that left are instead going to join Leslie Bënzies SINKING Ship ? :pirate: , and Leslie Bënzies game will most likely sell badly, that will be amusing to watch. :lol:
Excellent comments. And Thanks for sharing the news.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Yea, because R* has NEVER delayed a game in the past while Leslie Bënzies was there *Sarcasm* *Cough* GTA IV, Max Payne 3.

At the same time however, each studio got multiple years to work on a game where as publishing wise and retail wise, we as consumers got roughly ONE game a year. RDR1 only came out in the first place thanks to Leslie. Where as now, how many years are we on? We're approaching HALF A DECADE since they've actually released anything.

You errr, do know that majority of Doomsday was re-purposed Single Player DLC designs and code that was done under Leslie right?

OH NO, the R* staff that left are instead going to join Leslie Bënzies SINKING Ship ? :pirate: , and Leslie Bënzies game will most likely sell badly, that will be amusing to watch. :lol:

It's STILL a bad thing as the people who made GTA, well, GTA are going, they've left or are leaving, if you can't see how that's a negative issue then you're just being delusional.

@BLOOD: What are your thoughts when Take-Two attacked this community multiple times? What's your thoughts on the mass exodus of employees at Rockstar North over 2014/5 in relation to this very incident? What's your thoughts on how the franchise will be after this?
  • Gtaman_92, UltraGizmo64, D9fred95 and 1 other like this

Weird Colors
  • Weird Colors

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

You errr, do know that majority of Doomsday was re-purposed Single Player DLC designs and code that was done under Leslie right?

You're really grasping at straws now, just accept it, Leslie Bënzies isn't as important as you think he is, did Leslie Bënzies also help with the other DLCs that i listed ?, nope, he's been gone since 2014.

It's STILL a bad thing as the people who made GTA, well, GTA are going, they've left or are leaving, if you can't see how that's a negative issue then you're just being delusional.

it's going to be 100x more BAD for the delusional R* members that left with Leslie Bënzies, and the former R* members will regret their decision when their game sells POORLY and FLOPS like a pancake. :panic:

ALL ABOARD Leslie Bënzies SINKING SHIP! :pirate:

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

So you're happy for Rockstar Games to be a shell of it's former self (no I'm not saying that JUST because of Leslie but due to the mass amount of people who left BECAUSE of Leslie and the incident) AND for the company these people join to fail, so that way we all lose?
  • DoctorMike likes this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Weird Colors: To be fair Pancakes sell well, however I totally agree with you buddy.

mombo2811
  • mombo2811

You'll walk... WITH A LIMP!

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Ash your talking about the Benz like he is some sort of god that he can fix anything just him alone... the people who made GTA are still there like Sam dan and many more! Look at the credits for GTA V Red Dead and Max Payne 3?? There are 4-5 different studios whove worked on those games with hundreds of employees.. The Benz was an important of rockstar but him not working there anymore doesnt mean that they arent able to make any good games
  • Weird Colors and BLOOD like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Again where did I say JUST Leslie? I mainly bring up the staff who have because of the way Leslie was treated. Designers, character artists, artwork, sound design and engineering, etc, who have been with Rockstar since GTA3, some since GTA2 and one who was working on GTA since the start. All these people who helped shape the look and feel of Rockstar Games have gone, walked out, quit, etc over the course of 2014 and 2015, with people leaving from 2016 onwards joining Leslie's new studio.

Fact is you won't feel this change until AFTER RDR2, as a lot of the work in RDR2 will still have major input from these ex-workers.
  • UltraGizmo64, LaBombaRomba and DoctorMike like this

mombo2811
  • mombo2811

You'll walk... WITH A LIMP!

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by mombo2811, 2 weeks ago.

Again where did I say JUST Leslie? I mainly bring up the staff who have because of the way Leslie was treated. Designers, character artists, artwork, sound design and engineering, etc, who have been with Rockstar since GTA3, some since GTA2 and one who was working on GTA since the start. All these people who helped shape the look and feel of Rockstar Games have gone, walked out, quit, etc over the course of 2014 and 2015, with people leaving from 2016 onwards joining Leslie's new studio.

Fact is you won't feel this change until AFTER RDR2, as a lot of the work in RDR2 will still have major input from these ex-workers.

We will see when RDR2 comes out but I still think their capable of making great games without Leslie and the few who have left with him

.Emmi
  • .Emmi

Soldier

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think I have to agree with you ... Rockstar Games' golden era is long over and if they'll redeem itself remains to be seen with their 2-3 upcoming games.

My biggest fear is that we will probably never see games like Bully, The Warriors or even Table Tennis ever again.

It's these 'smaller', very original and fun games with meaningful characters and with a lot of soal to them that made Rockstar Games something special for me in the first place.

Would be a huge mistake to only focus on Red Dead and GTA from now on.

• Ash_735 and LaBombaRomba like this

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 2 weeks ago

Ash your talking about the Benz like he is some sort of god that he can fix anything just him alone... the people who made GTA are still there like Sam dan and many more! Look at the credits for GTA V Red Dead and Max Payne 3?? There are 4-5 different studios whove worked on those games with hundreds of employees.. The Benz was an important of rockstar but him not working there anymore doesnt mean that they arent able to make any good games

this is absolutely correct that GTA isn't only one man. for example the good rage engine was made by R* San diego, and couldn't have been achieved by one man only. but how personnally i see it, when Benzie was in the boat, the game was systematically a best seller, and a record breaker. when you see how great IV was, the ship captain was Benzie at that time. however i don't want to judge anyone, as i don't have all the case elements, but the way they revokated Benzie company pass, i find this a bit steep, regarding all the man has done for that same company. but again i don't say one is right or wrong, i don't know the case in details

We will see when RDR2 comes out but I still think their capable of making great games without Leslie and the few who have left with him

yeah but to hire the best developpers you need money, and if R* has the money right now it's partly because of Benzie. i mean all the GTA under his era were fault free

• UltraGizmo64 likes this

Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think I have to agree with you ... Rockstar Games' golden era is long over and if they'll redeem itself remains to be seen with their 2-3 upcoming games.

So at this rate, in about 30 years time we'll see if Rockstar has redeemed themselves.

I do agree as well, I still really liked smaller and somewhat more experimental-feeling titles like Bully, Manhunt, etc., and it would be awesome to see them still do games like that nowadays (they certainly have the resources and budgets to now, too). I doubt they'll do games like those again though, given the direction they're headed in as far as microtransactions go, and that they'll probably just continuously rely on GTA and Red Dead (unless they can find ways to milk other types of games if/when they do something new).

IG_
  • IG_

Hustler

• Members
  • Abkhazia

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by IG_, 2 weeks ago.

Source:

From what I understand, the case is NOT OVER. I'm far for an expert, my only real knowledge of law comes from one class in introductory law I took a while back lol (Although funnily enough that introductory class did specifically focus on business law in the state of New York, which is where this lawsuit is taking place)

With the statement I copy pasted below, my understanding is that the court is arguing that Leslie Bensies is not necessarily entitled to 150 million dollars in royalties, but as per his contracts he is without a doubt entitled to royalties.

"We agree with defendants that section 2.1 of the 2009 Royalty Plan provides for discretionary royalty payments by the Allocation Committee and contains no language mandating equal payments to the principals. The unambiguous terms of that provision cannot be altered by the subsequently-executed 2012 Employment Agreement"

However, this is immediately followed by

"Nevertheless, at this early stage of the litigation, we decline to dismiss plaintiff's independent claim for royalties based on the 2012 Employment Agreement. According plaintiff the benefit of every possible favorable inference, as is required on this CPLR 3211 motion, defendants have not shown as a matter of law that their interpretation of the 2012 Employment Agreement is the only reasonable one, particularly in light of the language stating that plaintiff "remains entitled to receive certain royalties [emphasis added]" as part of his "[c]ompensation." In addition, the amended complaint sufficiently alleges a breach of the 2012 Employment Agreement based on salary and stock allegedly withheld from plaintiff."

The court has however dismissed other cases put forward by Lezlie Bensies, however they have certainly not dismissed his claim of being entitled to royalties.

Also, it might not be obvious to some: Plaintiff= Leslie Bensies, the person who is bring the case to court. Defendents= Rockstar Games and Take Two, the groups being taken to court.

• jpm1, Spider-Vice, UltraGizmo64 and 2 others like this

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Canada

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by D9fred95, 2 weeks ago.

did Leslie Bënzies also help with the other DLCs that i listed ?, nope, he's been gone since 2014.

This reply doesn't address what Ash was pointing out. You said Doomsday was good without Leslie and when Ash pointed out it was originally for SP under Leslie's watch, you said "grasping at straws". Not a very good counterpoint.

Doesn't matter much anyway because the updates since 2014 has largely been crap. The others you listed are all essentially copies of each other. Buy facility, steal/buy stock, sell within public lobbies. Just a new paint job honestly. In between all that there's an unhealthy amount of adversary modes, does anyone even play 2016's adversary modes anymore? 

Online quality has definitely gone down since 2014. Yeah we got more vehicles now, but they're either overpriced (eg. Cheetah classic) or vehicles made for trolling. Adversary modes are constantly pushed when they pay out pitifully (60K for the winning team in Overtime Rumble for 15 minutes of work during 2x$?!) and those "Leslieless updates" is mostly just grinding resources for your bunker/hanger/warehouse (roughly 200k in a game where all the new updates can go beyond $10 million) only for it all to be blown up by a chrome Deluxo kid. 

The Doomsday Heist could've been great DLC, but nope R* had to go and throw that into Online with the crappy supply nonsense the "Leslieless" updates have. Does anyone really enjoy sourcing four Deluxos even with friends instead of heisting? The Kuruma setup was quick and more importantly inside it's own session. None of that "dodge all the Oppressor" nonsense Doomsday has.

• Hmmm nice bike, Gtaman_92, LaBombaRomba and 1 other like this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Excellent comment brother 👏👏👏👍👌

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by Ash_735, A week ago.

Excellent comment brother 👏👏👏👍👌
Are you allergic to responding to me when I call you out directly? You even go as far as to responding to people who we've countered responded to already. :p

Weird Colors
  • Weird Colors

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by Weird Colors, A week ago.

This reply doesn't address what Ash was pointing out. You said Doomsday was good without Leslie and when Ash pointed out it was originally for SP under Leslie's watch, you said "grasping at straws". Not a very good counterpoint.

Doesn't matter much anyway because the updates since 2014 has largely been crap. The others you listed are all essentially copies of each other. Buy facility, steal/buy stock, sell within public lobbies. Just a new paint job honestly. In between all that there's an unhealthy amount of adversary modes, does anyone even play 2016's adversary modes anymore? 

Online quality has definitely gone down since 2014. Yeah we got more vehicles now, but they're either overpriced (eg. Cheetah classic) or vehicles made for trolling. Adversary modes are constantly pushed when they pay out pitifully (60K for the winning team in Overtime Rumble for 15 minutes of work during 2x$?!) and those "Leslieless updates" is mostly just grinding resources for your bunker/hanger/warehouse (roughly 200k in a game where all the new updates can go beyond $10 million) only for it all to be blown up by a chrome Deluxo kid. 

The Doomsday Heist could've been great DLC, but nope R* had to go and throw that into Online with the crappy supply nonsense the "Leslieless" updates have. Does anyone really enjoy sourcing four Deluxos even with friends instead of heisting? The Kuruma setup was quick and more importantly inside it's own session. None of that "dodge all the Oppressor" nonsense Doomsday has.

So you're basically complaining about overpriced vehicles and manually grinding for money ?, and current GTA Online updates are much better/fun than 2014 updates and they aren't copies of each other, Leslie Bënzies is overrated and his upcoming game is going to sell POORLY.

I think you're just angry because you can't afford the overpriced vehicles in the newer updates, because you're bored of manually grinding missions for money, and who cares about boring Adversary modes ?, Public Free Mode is where the real fun is, especially with a headset.

if you were intelligent, you would look into AFK money making methods for Invite Only, for example: Fortified makes $35,000 in 10 minutes while AFK, and Solo Races makes $8,408 in 8 minutes while AFK, and if you want to sell bunker supplies for 210k, just lag yourself out of a Public Room into a Solo Public Room, i can do it in 13 seconds with lag switch software.

I have Fortified and a 16x playlist of the same Solo Race running everyday making me money on the PS4 version, while i am watching TV in real life or using my PC, and there is a trick for resetting the Fortified 30 minute cool-down timer without closing the game.

I currently have 30 million just from Fortified and Solo Races while AFK, it's better than boring yourself to death manually grinding missions or heists.

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

https://www.gamesind...gainst-take-two

Ash: LOL!
  • jpm1, UltraGizmo64 and Weird Colors like this

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted A week ago

the more time passes by, and the more i'm strenghtened in my opinion that The Benz being fired by R* was an error. instead of having an ally, now they have a serious opponent. and R* will loose clients, this is something almost certain

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

@Weird Colours what's your Social Club ID and what platform do you play on, you've mentioned numerous cheating the system glitches/methods which is AGAINST Rockstar Games TOCs for GTAO. You should be banned or have your account reset. Surely a loyal fan such as yourself wouldn't mind that though right? :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users