4.x Upgrade

11 replies to this topic
JustHatched
  • JustHatched

Domestic Battery Leader

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

What's the time frame for upgrading this to Invision 4.1 (or 4.2 whenever it's released)

3.x will be hitting EOL soon which I am sure you are aware. My crew site had/has loads of modifications and we were able to upgrade fairly painless and the 4x series so far is proving far superior to 3x in almost every way.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:46 PM

Shouldn't take much longer, we already have been using it for a few months, but we don't really like it. So we're making it as close as we have now so the transition isn't so painful. 

BenDeR_
  • BenDeR_

GTANF Webmaster

• Network Partner
  • Canada
  • Best Topic GTA 2016 [The Next DLC Speculation Thread]

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:43 PM

IPB4 is a pain in the a$$ in so many ways... Especially when you upgrade from v3 to v4.

We're using it on GTANF since August 2015 and there are still some bugs remaining, although a lot have been corrected in the past few months. There are definitely some cool features, but overall I don't think the Staff here on GTAF should be in a hurry to migrate.

"Slow and easy" as they say.  :D

• Yan2295 likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with the latest IP.Board Version/s. The LCPDFR Forum has been running it for many months, and as a user of that Forum, I don't think there anything wrong with it.

Girish
  • Girish

LFM

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:37 AM

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with the latest IP.Board Version/s. The LCPDFR Forum has been running it for many months, and as a user of that Forum, I don't think there anything wrong with it.

Well, the moderation toolkit is crap. We're expecting it to be a lot better on IPB4. Plus, it's always better to stay updated for security reasons. IPB3 support won't last forever. Not to mention, the switch from IPBv1.3 to IPB3 was a pain in the ass (remember all the V2 jokes?) and we certainly don't want a repeat of that.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

IPB4 actually has interesting enhancements, so it's definitely worthy of an upgrade even if it's slightly buggy. The release process wasn't exactly smooth either as they had like a beta/release candidate once every year since 2013. :p

IPB4 also has a much better mobile interface.

• JZFB likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:17 AM

Well, the moderation toolkit is crap. We're expecting it to be a lot better on IPB4. Plus, it's always better to stay updated for security reasons. IPB3 support won't last forever. Not to mention, the switch from IPBv1.3 to IPB3 was a pain in the ass (remember all the V2 jokes?) and we certainly don't want a repeat of that.

I must have missed those Jokes. Then again, I may have been ahead of the curve because LCPDFR was an earlier adopter, than GTAForums.

Just my thoughts into this matter. :)

gajrajgchouhan
  • gajrajgchouhan

tommycjnikojohnnyluis fan

• Members
  • India

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:52 AM

What jokes ?
  • DarkSavageDeathlyCloud likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:23 PM

jokes such as "why did the chicken cross the road" and "doctor doctor, I feel like my forum change to ipb version 3 isn't going smoothly"

...I think anyway
  • Spider-Vice, xNCx, Android and 3 others like this

JustHatched
  • JustHatched

Domestic Battery Leader

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:57 AM

Going from 3 to 4 should/will be far less painful than going from 1 to 3.
As far as the process my site went pretty smooth and that is covering the entire IPS suite plus several 3rd party apps. Unless I am missing something GTAF only uses the forum, granted there is alot of posts.

I personally find to moderator aspect much easier to use, but don't get me wrong it does have a few things I don't care for but most of that is in the calendar. Regardless, I much prefer anything IPS puts out over Xenforo or vBulletin. If I had to use one of those 3 I would go with MyBB freebie.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

XenForo is actually a very mature suite and one of my favourites after IPB somewhat bloated itself starting with IPB 3. IPB is still king in almost all aspects, though.

• Vik likes this

JustHatched
  • JustHatched

Domestic Battery Leader

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:49 PM

4.2 will be released soon, will GTAF finally get upgraded?

XenForo is actually a very mature suite and one of my favourites after IPB somewhat bloated itself starting with IPB 3. IPB is still king in almost all aspects, though.

Xenforo is crap, I refuse to use any site using Xenforo. Navigation nightmate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users