Quantcast

» «
Photo

Which mission do you think is the best in GTA IV?

64 replies to this topic
mp412rex
  • mp412rex

Purr.

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:43 AM

the holland play and blood brothers. 

Lwiri
  • Lwiri

That is my impression of American advertising, thank you, thank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:44 AM Edited by Lwiri, 13 February 2017 - 01:46 AM.

I have a few favorite missions.

All 3 missions where you encounter SWAT troops (The Snow Storm, Three Leaf Clover, and To Live and to Die in Alderney)

Hostile Negotiation

A Dish Served Cold

I also thought Smackdown while being tedious was pretty fun.

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:15 PM

Three leaf clover a fan favourite and it's nice but definitely not my favourite.
Too scripted imo.

I like missions like street sweeper, anyone remembers?
I kill the three guys hanging around and drive towards the road the other two escape.
I'll shoot the driver approaching roll aside and have a final shootout with the last guy who gets out of the car.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:44 AM

Having played through Hostile Negotiation last night IMO this is the best pure shootout in the whole game.

The placement of enemies make it feel like an epic Max Payne shootout. Also I love the threat Niko can leave to Dimitri after he sends the photo of Roman at gunpoint.

Even though I said Museum Piece was my favourite (still is) I'm also a fan of the missions that allow multiple approaches like Late Checkout, The Puerto Rican Connection, Dust Off, Final Interview, Holland Nights, Final Destination etc.:)
  • Payne Killer likes this

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

The Pills That Kill And Take The Pain Away

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:33 AM

Hostile Negotiation and Blood Brothers.

GTSabreFan
  • GTSabreFan

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:09 AM

Russian Revolution has a place in my heart, where the game really kicks in. But I also enjoyed A Dish Served Cold at the end, was one of the more rewarding missions 

Steezy.
  • Steezy.

Dimension Shifter

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:21 AM

Three Leaf Clover, Museum Piece,Truck Hustle, any mission Little Jacob is in, That Special Someone (Killing Darko), Harboring a Grudge, and the last few missions of the game (Revenge/deal, wedding, final mission)

There's just soo many haha, GTA 4 had a lot of good missions tbh

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:00 AM

Three Leaf Clover, The Holland Play, French Tom, Blow Your Cover

ESAgamer503
  • ESAgamer503

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:17 PM

A lot of people seem to like Hostile Negotiation. I think it's a great shootout mission but it lacked real tension.

My favorites are pretty much all of the missions having to do with Dwayne and Playboy and Francis mission strand. Undress is a personal favorite though, just messing with that AI is fantastic.

Achlys
  • Achlys

I Can Tell You're Curious, It's Written On Your Lips

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:02 AM

Russian Revolution and Three Leaf Clover.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:45 AM

A lot of people seem to like Hostile Negotiation. I think it's a great shootout mission but it lacked real tension.

I can't say I agree it lacked tension especially towards its climax.

The first time I played through it I had no idea if it was possible if you took too long to make a clean shot that Roman's captive would pull the trigger and kill him or if you weren't accurate enough the bullet you fired would kill Roman instead.

If that's not tension I don't know what is. I'm still a bit weary of it even now.
  • Official General likes this

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

Passion, Adrenaline, and Speed!

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

Honestly, I'm not the type of person that chooses favorites, but I think "That Special Someone" is the best mission not only just GTA IV, but the entire series IMO. It may seem a bit far-fetched since that there is no action during the mission, but I loved every single bit of dialogue, I loved the location which Darko is dropped off, the moody and rainy weather that sets the mood, and especially Niko, and Darko facing off once again after many years of guilt, revenge, and uncertainty that haunts Niko for so many years. Michael Hollick's performance as Niko really shines all through-out the entire game, but this is the mission where he really steals the show, he perfectly portrays Niko as a conflicted, damaged, cynical person who still somewhat finds his way after dealing with so many things, both before, and during GTA IV's story. It is a tense, and dramatic confrontation that exhibits more entertainment despite it is mostly a drive there, do this, and go back mission, but it is a climax that finally comes Niko's dark, and tragic past full circle. I always have said it, GTA IV is a masterpiece, but "That Special Someone" is the finest moment of GTA IV, and the whole series. 

• MiamiViceCity and _Moe like this

Fubbick
  • Fubbick

Fraunhofer Diffraction

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:55 PM

It's hard to pick one, but I'd go with "Tunnel of Death"

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:37 AM

They're all good, but my favorite Is Deconstruction for Beginners because grenades are introduced and you kill a bunch of mobsters. Late Checkout was pretty fun too.

ESAgamer503
  • ESAgamer503

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:26 AM Edited by ESAgamer503, 26 March 2017 - 03:13 AM.

I can't say I agree it lacked tension especially towards its climax.

The first time I played through it I had no idea if it was possible if you took too long to make a clean shot that Roman's captive would pull the trigger and kill him or if you weren't accurate enough the bullet you fired would kill Roman instead.

If that's not tension I don't know what is. I'm still a bit weary of it even now.

Sorry for the late response.

Well the captive killing Roman isn't something surprising. If they were going to have a situation as such, they might as well do something with it otherwise what is the point.

The thing is that solely relying on that moment that is small and easy enough to create tension is a bit lazy when there should be tension throughout the whole mission. The basis of creating tension is the height of the struggle which puts the player in a disadvantage. Just look at how in the mission there isn't this incensitive to rush to the warehouse and travel through it as quickly as possible facing many Russians on the way to rescue Roman because if we don't make it in time Roman will die. You can basically take your time doing anything you want in the mission without consequences like the all possibilities video from that youtuber shows and nothing will happen to Roman before you reach that final scene where you confront the captive. This also makes those moments with Niko's shouting and him calling Dimitri lose weight.

Compare that Death Row from VC where we had to travel a pretty long distance and shoot through many of Diaz's men racing against time before Lance's death where we are shown a health bar that at first doesn't seem to decrease much but gradually decreases faster the closer we get. As if that wasn't enough, we later have to drive Lance to the hospital while dealing with Diaz's Savage drivers which can quickly make your car explode at any moment and reaching the hospital with luck and only with little bit of car health left (by that meaning one hit and the car is done).

Donatello
  • Donatello

Anyone for stickball? I've got a stick. You be the ball.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:10 PM Edited by Seventh Star, 26 March 2017 - 03:11 PM.

Missions like Trespass. It has more than one way it can go down.
I can burst from the front and hit them in the face with everything I got, otherwise I slip around the back, go in through the basement and f*ck them up their asses.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Gognitti bailed. I made like Chow Yun-Fat...

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

It's hard to say. IV has some of the best missions in all the GTA games, but I guess I'd go with missions like A Long Way To Fall, Smackdown, Holland Nights etc. pretty much shoot-outs based in interiors.

StormBreaker
  • StormBreaker

Rockstar Hater

• Members
  • India

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:30 PM Edited by StormBreaker, 30 March 2017 - 03:30 PM.

Three leaf clover's pretty much every one's fav, including mine. I just feel that three leaf clover would have been a good ending for five
  • Official General likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:24 PM Edited by Official General, 30 March 2017 - 11:23 PM.

Three leaf clover's pretty much every one's fav, including mine. I just feel that three leaf clover would have been a good ending for five

That mission was pure gold.....no heist in V can even compare to it, it's legendary gaming brilliance.

• MiamiViceCity likes this

ESAgamer503
  • ESAgamer503

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:17 PM Edited by ESAgamer503, 30 March 2017 - 11:29 PM.

That mission was pure gold.....no heist in V can even compare to it, it's legendary brilliance.
The constant fitting setting changing in the mission was also one the aspects that made the shootout in it great as it added a sense progression and greater scope to it. First you're outside the bank in the front entrance handling cops, then the alley, Chinatown, the subway and then you're left to escape the cops chasing you throughout the whole city. It just leaves you a sense of catharsis after all you had go through.
  • Official General and Neon_Dreaming like this

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

That mission was pure gold.....no heist in V can even compare to it, it's legendary gaming brilliance.
Can't agree with that. Even though I like the TLC, it felt like more of a huge shootout than a Heist.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:04 PM Edited by Official General, 01 April 2017 - 07:08 PM.

Can't agree with that. Even though I like the TLC, it felt like more of a huge shootout than a Heist.

That's your opinion, and it's fine, but we'll just have to agree to disagree. Just because TLC didn't involve some kind of half-hearted, near pointless pre-planning tasks like V's heists featured, it don't make it any less of a heist. No heist in V made me feel such intense pressure with an exciting, exhilarating adrenaline rush at the same time.

I just finished a recent playthrough of IV for the 4th time and TLC still felt better to me than any heist in V. I thought the jewelry store heist in V was on the same level as TLC, but after playing TLC again, I prefer TLC for sure. And the jewelry store heist in V is my favourite in the whole game, so that says it all for me.

• MiamiViceCity and _Moe like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:47 AM

That's your opinion, and it's fine, but we'll just have to agree to disagree. Just because TLC didn't involve some kind of half-hearted, near pointless pre-planning tasks like V's heists featured, it don't make it any less of a heist. No heist in V made me feel such intense pressure with an exciting, exhilarating adrenaline rush at the same time.

The lack of planning missions give Three Leaf Clover its charm as it puts us in the shoes of a crew member (basically) instead of the planner. The general clumsiness and incompetence of the McRearies to pull off such a feat is further exemplified when they plan things out on the spin on the way to the bank. It was a nice change of pace compared to the typical, meticulous planning of other heists.

Sure it ends up in a shootout, but most heists do. I think it's one of the best examples of a pure heist without being held down by silly mission exclusive gimmicks.

• Official General and Payne Killer like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:53 AM

The lack of planning missions give Three Leaf Clover its charm as it puts us in the shoes of a crew member (basically) instead of the planner. The general clumsiness and incompetence of the McRearies to pull of such a feat is further exemplified when they plan things out on the spin on the way to the bank. It was a nice change of pace compared to the typical, meticulous planning of other heists.

Sure it ends up in a shootout, but most heists do. I think it's one of the best examples of a pure heist without being held down by silly mission exclusive gimmicks.

That's what I loved about TLC - unexpected calamities that occurred and vaguely comical dialogue reflecting the stupidity of the McCrearys was a magical combination.

I don't get that guys comment about it feeling like a shootout. In real life most heists of that nature end up involving some kind of gunplay, he don't make sense.

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Trick

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:29 PM Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger, 02 April 2017 - 09:42 PM.

I loved "Late Checkout" (multiple ways of doing it which I enjoyed) but as far as the "best"? I would have to go with "Three Leaf Clover" without question.

Packie: You coulda mixed the explosives better couldn't ya, Derrick?

Derrick: And you coulda been more careful of your boy Michael. He should be with us right now.

Niko: Michael was unlucky. It wasn't anybody's fault what happened to him and the explosives did its job. Both of you shut the f*ck up.
  • Official General, theGTAking101 and Payne Killer like this

Gunnalingus
  • Gunnalingus

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Now that I'm thinking about it, I may make an unusual choice and pick To Live and Die in Alderney. Two intense car chases with multiple vehicles, a heavy shootout, lots of great dialogue and even some neat little character development for Niko and Phil.

I gotta second the love for this one. During my third playthough last year (which is when the game REALLY clicked for me), I was amazed at how I'd forgotten this mission. I was thinking "This is like another "Three Leaf Clover"!"

Really, so many great missions have already been mentioned, so I'll bring up one that I may not consider THE best, but a great example of how a mission that looks simple on paper can escalate: "Payback". On paper, it is very much one of the "Go here and kill these people" missions that so many complain about, but these missions can actually be the most open-ended and unpredictable. So this is what happened on my last playthrough: I get to the dealership, pick a vantage point, and open fire... but a couple cops happen to be nearby (having cops frequently patrol this area was a great idea on R*'s part) and weren't too thrilled about a shootout breaking out on the street. What unfolded was a crazy three-way shootout between me, the cops, and the Pavano goons, with me trying to pick off the Pavanos as the cops shoot at both of us. I distinctly remember being very low on health and hunkering down in that office, defending myself and looking for a window to escape. The mission ended with me limping away with just a sliver of health and barely managing to grab a getaway car as the cops and Pavanos killed each other.

It was insane, it was challenging, and it was a million times more exciting than some of the mega-scripted setpieces in V.

Anyway, I'll bring up and second a few more I love. "Three Leaf Clover" goes without saying. "The Snow Storm" is similarly difficult and insane, on my last playthrough I got cornered and for a second didn't think I'd get out of that d*mn hospital alive. I really love "Deconstruction for Beginners" too, especially that initial sniping portion. But for my very favorite, I think it'd have to be "Museum Piece". It was so much fun blasting goons away in that museum. On every playthrough, I try my hardest not to hit the dinosaur skeletons and keep them intact, haha. :p

It's an old thread and old reply but funny that I happened to read this with actual interest in what other people say.

I know exactly what you mean- But it is annoying that you have to deal with cops as well as mafia wise guys. In essence it is similar to Derek's ,mission "Smackdown". But it is fun. It is awesome to listen to Pavano's comments to cops before they shoot them "Like I give a f*ck what you say-", "No Pigs allowed here" and so on... Then you'll throw a grenade or two among the cars and kill them all and then Niko will say "Anybody else want to die?"

You also mentioned having only 1 % of health - this is exactly what makes GTAIV a better game than GTAV. I know it is common practice in modern games to have regenerating health but that really ruins the experience and the game doesn't feel so intense. That is one of the things that makes GTAIV special and intense - to pass a mission when you are close to dying, limping and bleeding.

Gunnalingus
  • Gunnalingus

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

The lack of planning missions give Three Leaf Clover its charm as it puts us in the shoes of a crew member (basically) instead of the planner. The general clumsiness and incompetence of the McRearies to pull of such a feat is further exemplified when they plan things out on the spin on the way to the bank. It was a nice change of pace compared to the typical, meticulous planning of other heists.

That's what I loved about TLC - unexpected calamities that occurred and vaguely comical dialogue reflecting the stupidity of the McCrearys was a magical combination.

I don't get that guys comment about it feeling like a shootout. In real life most heists of that nature end up involving some kind of gunplay, he don't make sense.

I enjoyed all McReary missions. Not just TLC, but robberies before and tasks after that- They were really cool and memorable. Which I can't say for GTAV's missions and annoying ass Lester who I wanted to shoot.

_Moe
  • _Moe

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

The hotel shooting one, definitely.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

You also mentioned having only 1 % of health - this is exactly what makes GTAIV a better game than GTAV. I know it is common practice in modern games to have regenerating health but that really ruins the experience and the game doesn't feel so intense. That is one of the things that makes GTAIV special and intense - to pass a mission when you are close to dying, limping and bleeding.

This. Even though GTA IV isn't really a hard game there's nothing like being in a mission such as Three Leaf Clover with no health pick ups around, getting hits from bullets from every direction with the health bar flashing red as you hope to f*cking god himself you don't get hit by a stray bullet as you desperately to to get to the getaway vehicle and out of harms way.

Health regeneration whether it's partial (like GTA V) or in full really kills most action based games for me. I love that intensity of running low on health and doing everything possible to avoid certain death.

Ducard
  • Ducard

Spectre

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Ducard, 4 weeks ago.

Many people say Three Leaf Clover but Flatline was the best and the one that sticks out for me. The freedom the mission gave you was insane. You could approach it from many angles (stealth being the one I chose). It was really cool and a different type of mission. Three Leaf Clover was just a generic shootout tbh.  Am I the only one who thinks TLC is overrated? 

Uncle Vlad was also a really good one. Although nothing special in terms of gameplay, it was the point where the game's story really kicked off. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users