Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will Rockstar return to a single protagonist?

131 replies to this topic
PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

What are people's thoughts on this?

Multi protags was one of the biggest changes with GTAV and in some ways, the route of the main gripes due to changing the way missions were undertook (often changing character) and a lack of immersion in the main character.

That said, from Rockstar's point of view, it allows them to appeal to a broader base and try out character types they wouldn't normally as a single lead protag.

It'll be interesting to see how many protags RDR3 has.

So, will they keep multi protags or not?

Donatello
  • Donatello

Anyone for stickball? I've got a stick. You be the ball.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:03 AM

As long as it continues to appease the masses, R* will probably milk that for all it's worth.
  • AAR, Kevert, DIEXEL and 2 others like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:18 AM

I'm not sure. The Multiple Protagonists idea that V used could have been more effective. if there were many more Missions in the Game that would have helped with a greater level of Character Development.

Personally, I'm not against having it return, but I'd prefer there to be a maximum of Two Protagonists.

• Mister Pink, GTKING1st, CartmanKusanagi and 5 others like this

Matty256
  • Matty256

CCLVI

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • R* Verified Race "The Gordo Run"
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:28 PM

Don't think we will see a single protagonists in the main games again, the map and detail is too big for one protag to have. A new side game would be a single protagonist.

I agree with multiple protagonists being a big change for them to do, but if they want to step it up after that, we need to see a woman protagonist next.

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

@ Matty. Yeah good point. I can't see it going away now. I think a female protagonist is a certainty for the next one.

I wonder if they're able to land lock different protagonists on separate islands?
  • AAR likes this

Karls
  • Karls

w00p

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

I want one (1) protag, which is as developed as Niko, and not as underdeveloped as a frankling

• Kajjy, Kevert, CartmanKusanagi and 6 others like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

I highly doubt they will go back to 1 protag. At least not unless it's a DLC. Multiple protags, even though it wasn't executed to perfection, was seen as a revolutionary step in the series by many, V/Online made them so much money, they will only take it further I think. Who knows, we could even see multiple Online protagonists (not counting the "choose character" thing Online already has, I mean actually switching between protags in Online).

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Daily Globe
  • Serbia
  • Contribution Award [DYOM]

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:58 PM

I hope they will get back on only one protagonist since this type of story involving 3 protagonist in V was bullsh*t. 

• Kevert, Dijital Binali, Yinepi and 1 other like this

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

Everyone's favorite Uncle, but not Led-By.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:06 PM

I think the way the franchise is going, Online and SP will be much more merged for the next title, so you can progress SP in the Online enviroment. So I would like the idea of several voices for a single protagonist, but your Online persona is the SP protagonist.

I suspect that is the way we will see things from now on.
  • AAR and Ron Horse like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Cowboys and Sailors

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

I hope so. We need a more focused narrative rather then trying to split the plot into three. This means better character development and a better relation to the protagonist.

At the very least, I'd like to see something like EFLC. Have multiple protagonists, but give them their own episode/DLC, instead of being crammed into the story.

• PaddsterG2k3, Kajjy, Kevert and 6 others like this

XenoxX
  • XenoxX

*stubborn minded*

• BUSTED!
  • Germany

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:03 PM

I liked the multiple protags idea for gameplay reasons, it allowed players to play the parts of the mission they like and to ignore the part that they did not like, for example having the choice between shooting the guards or driving away with the escape vehicle.

However I think 2 Protags would be better fit for that, maybe that way R* can focus on developing those two more instead of having some characters more or less ignored in some parts of the story.

Other than that the 3 protagonists were Vs "big feature", so I assume R* will have a similar big feature for the next GTA, something that is innovative and distinguishes GTA Next(or VI) from the older ones, maybe am Organization system similar to Vice Cities but more expanded upon and hooked into the stock market, maybe something completely different noone thinks off at the moment.

So far every GTA has been innovative to its predecessors while still remaining the main fun and coherent gameplay, I am highly confident R* can build onto that.

Additionaly we will probably see a huge focus on Art and Animation for the next GTA, as the main directors will be Aaron Garbut and Rob Nelson, art and animation directors.

I assume the missions will be similarly structured as to the Online Heists, with huge customization options and very well made incination of the scenario.

• AAR likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:34 PM

They won't but do I want them to? Yeah. Either that or implement multiple protagonists better. They really need to think it through this time. I don't want to have too many limits during a mission and I also sure as hell don't want there to be a lack of missions again because implementing the characters and story took "too much" work. Nonsense. I don't care how much work it takes or how long it takes. Just get it done and get it done the right way.

Craig
  • Craig

Park Head

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:23 PM

I personally hope so. I may be in the minority but I found the web of multiple protagonists to be messy and incohesive. By the end my efforts were stretched between all three to the point that I didn't really care about their development. While it was nice to see different characteristics and traits explored through each one, it felt strained to me and I lost a lot of the drive behind what makes me play a game like GTA - character development. I didn't care what happened to either of them because I felt like a pinball flitting between strands and objectives. I couldn't keep up and by the time I'd gotten accustomed to one mission path I was flung to another character to see what was going on for them. It's a nice idea and I understand why people like it but it's not for me.

Single protagonist for me please. :)

• Mister Pink, Banks., Dijital Binali and 6 others like this

LittleWeasel
  • LittleWeasel

Ban this account, please.

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:34 PM Edited by LittleWeasel, 03 April 2016 - 10:34 PM.

Same here, personally, I dream with a single protagonist again, but Rockstar is focused on develop larger maps even than GTA V and other stuff, they even dream with tying all states, so it'll be kinda difficult to play as a single protagonist on a big map.

• Marcos Bellic likes this

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:00 AM

I'd like to see them try two Protagonists next time, maybe let us play both of them whenever we want from the start, instead of unlocking the other after the character meets them. That way both characters can get fleshed out and have details shown about them.

And maybe their eventual meeting mission doesn't unlock until you do certain missions for both characters

NikoB_in_the_house
  • NikoB_in_the_house

Bitches Get Stitches

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:08 AM

I think two protagonists is the way to go.  I'd like to see a guy/girl combo like a couple that gets sucked in to a life of crime or a brother/sister type of scenario.  I guess the last Assassin's Creed just did brother/sister but I think it could still work.   I think a great story could be fleshed out with two lovers and it would be great to have both a male and female to choose to cause chaos with.

• AAR likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

I wonder what the results would be if there was a Poll accompanying this Topic. :)

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:03 AM Edited by Journey_95, 04 April 2016 - 11:05 AM.

I think the way the franchise is going, Online and SP will be much more merged for the next title, so you can progress SP in the Online enviroment. So I would like the idea of several voices for a single protagonist, but your Online persona is the SP protagonist.

I suspect that is the way we will see things from now on.

Sorry but that sounds horrible. Online already had way too much of a negative impact on V's SP but at least it was still kept seperate. "Merging" them would be f*cking annoying

Anyway on topic: I hope they return to one protag or 2 max (living in two different cities). Three just didn't work as V showed.

• Kajjy and PhillBellic like this

chilleverest
  • chilleverest

Ironborn

• Members
  • Nepal

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:06 AM Edited by chilleverest, 04 April 2016 - 11:07 AM.

Im all up for single protagonist unless they dedicate a full 30 hrs long fleshed out story for all three or four characters. V was half assed in story regards and the online focus didnt help either. 

• Kajjy, Kevert, PhillBellic and 2 others like this

kBlaise
  • kBlaise

"We're two hombres in a strange town..."

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:20 PM Edited by kBlaise, 04 April 2016 - 03:21 PM.

It would be amazing to have two protagonists in the next Red Dead, in a classic spaghetti western setup, e.g. Bud Spencer & Terrence Hill.

Same goes for VI: I'd appreciate a Tommy-Lance (/ Crockett-Tubbs) styled duo.

Dottie
  • Dottie

Back from the dead-ish

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

I liked the idea of multiple protagonists, but, the protags for V could have been better.
  • theGTAking101 likes this

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:24 PM Edited by Chamberman20, 04 April 2016 - 08:24 PM.

Maybe they will. Even if they don't there's nothing wrong with multiple protagonist.

MakeAmericaGreatAgain
  • MakeAmericaGreatAgain

British and Proud

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:25 PM

I'd say stick to one.

• Roger Cheeto likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:39 AM

I'd like to see two at the very most. Fair enough to GTA V it was the first time the multiple protagonist mechanic had been implemented, but IMO the game's length neutered character development so it made Michael, Franklin and Trevor feel not as fleshed out as they could've been.

This is why I would prefer to see two at the most, but preferably I would like a singular protagonist GTA again.

• Mister Pink likes this

Craig
  • Craig

Park Head

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:29 AM

While R* may have wanted to explore the multiple protagonist route as far back as San Andreas, V is the only time we've something of this scale. While I didn't like it personally, I can't help but admire their ambition. I feel that the system could be refined further just the same as any feature could be. It wouldn't be a step forward otherwise, and whether you like a game or not you can't deny we've seen steady progress with each instalment. I'd be happy enough with two but I still stick to my guns here though and say I'd prefer a solo protagonist if given the choice.

• Algonquin Assassin, AAR, Roger Cheeto and 1 other like this

Neo Arcadia
  • Neo Arcadia

Prankster

• Members

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:08 AM

Needs to go back to IV's style where the protags were mostly unrelated. That would prevent another Franklin situation from happening. Separate plots would also prevent a single point like the FIB from devouring most of the story again.

• PaddsterG2k3 and Pepe Silvia like this

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

F*ck thyself

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:43 AM

I hope his ass is ass dark ass Niko

• The Deadite likes this

FroudeyBrand
  • FroudeyBrand

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

If they were going to go back to a single character I can see Rockstar having fun with it, starting a first few missions with 3 or 4 main characters and then have all but one killed off or imprisoned and back to single person.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

I'd to see two at the very most. Fair enough to GTA V it was the first time the multiple protagonist mechanic had been implemented, but IMO the game's length neutered character development so it made Michael, Franklin and Trevor feel not as fleshed out as they could've been.

This is why I would prefer to see two at the most, but preferably I would like a singular protagonist GTA again.

While R* may have wanted to explore the multiple protagonist route as far back as San Andreas, V is the only time we've something of this scale. While I didn't like it personally, I can't help but admire their ambition. I feel that the system could be refined further just the same as any feature could be. It wouldn't be a step forward otherwise, and whether you like a game or not you can't deny we've seen steady progress with each instalment. I'd be happy enough with two but I still stick to my guns here though and say I'd prefer a solo protagonist if given the choice.

Would it be out of the Question for either of you, to add a Poll to this Topic?

otachi
  • otachi

Bring out the gimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:43 AM

Two protagonists would be great,you know one protagonist vs the other

Like the departed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users