Comics

56 replies to this topic
IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:09 AM

Jesus Christ, how do you people do this?

I read The Dark Knight 3 #5 and Batman #2.

Now I gotta wait 2 weeks for the next Batman, and two months for the next TDK.

I read the entire Zero Year storyarc between releases.

Might as well kill some time.

What's all that stuff about, with Wally West appearing and the Flash remembering him and launching Rebirth or whatnot?

What series is that? Like... Gimme actual checkpoints. "This is where he starts appearing to people, and this is where Rebirth Rebirths"

I tried to look it up, but I really don't know how to phrase it correctly for Google, so I keep getting Rebirth #1 as a result. I want, like... The stuff before that.

• Saganist likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:19 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 09 July 2016 - 08:25 PM.

I'm pretty sure with Rebirth, all you really need to know is that there is a pre-Flashpoint reality, and a post-Flaspoint reality. The "post-crisis" DC universe, and the New-52 DC universe. Although technically the current timeline is the New-52 universe, with Wally breaking through as well as the post-crisis Superman, things are changing. Rebirth isn't the end of a story, it's more of a beginning. So if you're confused, it's because the whole picture has yet to be shown.

I'm not sure which book Wally is going to be in, where his story is to be explained, I think Titans (not teen titans, that's the other Wally West from the New-52. Just Titans).

I'm really just reading "Batman" and "Superman" out of DC. I'm a big fan of Tomasi/Gleason as their work on Batman and Robin was great. Not sure about Batman without Snyder, so far.

Edit: as for waiting. You get used to it. You either wait a couple weeks for single issues, or you wait months for collected volumes. Either way you wait. It actually makes it easier to not read bad books, because it's easy to lose interest in a bad book when you have to wait.

Just broaden the list of books you read. That way every week you get a couple at least. DC has the right idea with these twice monthly rebirth schedule when it comes to Batman and Superman. One week the self titled books come out, and then the next week the side books come out, i.e. Detective Comics or Action Comics. So every week there's a new Batman or Superman book.
  • El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:06 PM Edited by El Diablo, 11 July 2016 - 04:57 PM.

so long story short, going through the box of Sonic comics led to a few discoveries last week. some cool stuff I forgot I had. this here's the box.

8Qo3ClU.jpg

like I said my parents bought these for us back in the day. from like 1993 to 2001ish.

I've got the first 100 issues including #0, #1/4, and both #1's. there was a #1 from Sonic Special (like a Pilot episode) and a #1 from the original Archie series. dunno if they'll ever be worth a fortune but that's pretty sweet. I just really love the cover artwork. especially in the later more mature issues I was showing earlier.

anyhow.

at the bottom of the box I found the first 10 issues of the McFarlane's original Spawn series by Image from 1992. I don't know how long these comics ran for but the film and toys and games were a massive moneymaker at the time. and then he worked in video games or something. in the beginning Todd personally contributed the majority of the cover art and interior pencil work.

#1, 2, and 3 of the first miniseries + #9.

first appearances of Al Simmons, Spawn, and Violator (the clown). #9 is the first appearance of Angela who is a character that went on to have her own Marvel series after Todd sold the rights. they're probably not worth anything either but damn they look good. I wish I could draw like that...

Spoiler

ok also at the bottom of the box? this was interesting.

you know about reprints yeah? these are complete facsimile reprints; cover to cover including the classic advertising and fillers from the first appearances of Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man. that's Action Comics #1 (1938), Detective Comics #27 (1939) and Amazing Fantasy #15 (1962). they happened to fit nicely in these cheapass Ikea frames I had lying around so I did that. not sure where to hang them yet but I'm totally nerding out over this stuff.

Rb1uQ5z.jpg

• Failure, Spectacus and ceszayers like this

Rocking Shiv
  • Rocking Shiv

Psycho

• Members
  • India

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

what a cool collection friend
  • El Diablo likes this

Failure
  • Failure

Gone for now.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Most Missed 2016

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:01 AM Edited by Failure, 12 July 2016 - 11:03 AM.

@El_D: Nice collection mate. I used to be into the Sonic Comics and one of the affiliated TV shows (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog if my memory serves). I have most of the Gears of War comics in print form but I tend to get electronic copies of the others. In sixth form the library had a good collection of graphic novels and I'd usually get my fix from there.

• El Diablo likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:37 AM

Like a couple people here my first comic was a spiderman comic a couple years back I don't really remember much about it and my dad had a few Archie comics but I don't remember much about those either. I've recently gotten into reading comics I've read a couple of comics here and there like The Dark Knight returns Part 1 and I didn't finish Year One enjoyed reading The Court Of Owls I also read a few of the Green Arrow new 52's which were HORRIBLE lol.

I usually go for the collected editions but what do you guys do?

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:37 PM

Man... I don't know what the general consensus is... But I'm really not liking the current run of The Amazing Spider-Man.

It completely misses the entire point of Spider-Man.

He's some horrible cross between Spider-Man, Iron Man and Batman.

Peter Parker has always been an integral part of the Spider-Man character. Other heroes like Batman or Captain America or Iron Man didn't have any life commitments. They could drop out of their civilian persona at any time and go do their superhero business.

Peter Parker had a life, and he had commitments. Whenever he'd go away, people would wonder where he went. There would be consequences. Being Spider-Man took a toll on Peter's life.

Let's take a break to remind ourselves of why Iron Man and Batman are successful comic book characters.

Batman is successful because he's a human with immense willpower. Bruce Wayne doesn't really matter. Sure, the whole trauma thing pushed him into it, but that's it. People like him because he's a utilitarian, a strategist, and mostly because he's one of the darkest, most grim heroes on the market... And Gotham's villains are the same way.

Iron Man was interesting, not just because he was rich or had a cool suit. But because of Tony Stark. He was an alcoholic, and his main goal is to right his wrongs and leave a good legacy. That's why, most of the time, if Iron Man sees a good death, if he sees a death that would merit a statue to be built in his honor, he'll jump all over it.

So this new Spider-Man...

He's rich. Peter Parker has 000000 responsibilities. Parker doesn't f*cking matter. He wasn't flawed before, he's not trying to improve anything. His villains are not nearly a reflection of himself.

And he barely swings. That's right... This Spider-Man is a f*cking loser who drives Spider-Cars and Spider-Jets.

You know who else has the proportionate strength and speed of a Spider-Car? I do you. And so do you. If you can drive and wear clothes, you're as cool as Spider-Man. Jesus f*cking Christ...

It has done every single mistake that Ultimate Spider-Man (The TV show) has done.

And when you're copying (arguably) the worst Spider-Man TV show of all time, something's gotta give.

I haven't read all of it. So if it gets better, I'll politely eat my words. But my god, he's so uninteresting to me.

• HaythamKenway and Payne Killer like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Rebellions are built on hope

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

I've been out of the loop regarding Spidey since Superior ended, only briefly checking in during Spider-Verse; so I take it that it's still a pretty lackluster book and I'm not missing anything?

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

BRAINSSS

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:07 PM

27991.jpg

16bx150.jpg

Yep.
This is a thing.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

They do some crazy things at Archie that the mainstream public doesn't really pay attention to.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:32 PM

Well, boys. We've done it.

It finally happened. My life is complete.

I can die happily.

Pack it up, no need for further discussion.

You don't need context.

You don't need backstory.

You don't need a spoiler warning.

Here's Alfred dressed as Batman.

A8Zsy59.png

ubF6Anq.png

DC Rebirth is now officially a success.

Time for another reboot.

• HaythamKenway, iBUCKEYE, Spectacus and 2 others like this

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

negan is awsome.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:50 PM

the walking dead is the best comic ever! superhero comics are way overrated. and with the best comic book ever comes the best villan ever. negan! please tell me there are more twd comic fans out here.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:01 PM

of course there are.

but I wouldn't call it the best comic ever...

Rocking Shiv
  • Rocking Shiv

Psycho

• Members
  • India

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:11 PM

the walking dead is the best comic ever! superhero comics are way overrated. and with the best comic book ever comes the best villan ever. negan! please tell me there are more twd comic fans out here.

please tell me there are more twd comic fans out here.

Yes there are comics fans

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:44 AM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 26 August 2016 - 09:50 AM.

The first comic I remember reading was Secret Wars #1, back in the early 80s (May 84, fact fans) because I'm really old compared to most people here. I think I probably read stuff like the Beano before that, but this was the first Marvel "grown up" comic I remember. Shortly after that my brother introduced me to his comic collection - Eastman and Laird's Ninja Turtles, Daredevil, Punisher War Journals, Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen were all in the house growing up. My lucky bastard brother has most of these signed by the artists and writers so they're worth a bunch. 

P.S. +1 TWD comic reader here. 

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:45 PM

lfE5qaE.jpg
  • El Diablo and Rocking Shiv like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:11 PM Edited by El Diablo, 11 September 2016 - 09:52 PM.

that's a surprisingly powerful image coming from the pages of a comic book.

just given the fact that most fiction and media ignore 9/11.

like, they go so far as to re-edit and re-release old movies and TV shows so that reruns don't show the twin towers in the background. it's kind of ridiculous. given how close Peter Parker is linked to Manhattan I'm glad that they didn't just white wash the whole event.

• iBUCKEYE likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:32 PM

Go read the whole issue if you can. It's poignant, and gives you perspective on real heroes, the emergency responders as well as the ordinary people who helped others because it was the right thing to do. It has a moment that was kind of ripped off for Batman v Superman, where a little boy is alone and sitting in the rubble, and He tells Spidey that his father had to go back for something and told him to wait there. And then it shows his father being taken out of the rubble by firefighters, dead. It's one of the few moments that make me shed tears from a comic.
  • Rocking Shiv likes this

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

negan is awsome.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

has anybody checked out the new comic kill or be killed by ed brubaker? its pretty good. its about a college student becoming a vigilante and killing bad guys who deserve to die. i dont want to spoil anything but i highly recommend it. if anybody has read it what do you think about it?

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:41 PM

Has anyone read The Rock Of Ages JLA arc?

I tried reading it based on the fact that Kevin Smith said it was awesome.

I started it...
The art wasn't great.
The dialogue wasn't the best.

And then Aquaman got some intel from talking to a Tuna fish.

At which point I put the whole thing down and blew up my PC.

So... Does it get better? Is it worth it?

Spectacus
  • Spectacus

I'm not lonely, I have the Stars.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:15 PM

So how did  you guys feel about Identity Crisis?

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:58 AM

Walking Dead #165...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

BRAINSSS

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:57 AM

lfE5qaE.jpg

The crying Dr. Doom moment will never stop being so incredibly out of place, like i don't know much about comics but i bet that guy tried destroy NY at least 15 times before this... same with Magneto.

f*cking Juggernaut even tried to destroy the WTC before. Couldn't have picked up a worst background character for this panel.

I get what they were trying to do but it's just out of character and even tone deaf.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:27 AM

That issue should not be seen as canon. It is Marvel's way of giving the first responders their due respect, and telling their readers that they are there for them to help forget about the horrors of the real world, even Dr Doom, and all the villains.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

BRAINSSS

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:09 AM Edited by The Deadite, 13 March 2017 - 06:09 AM.

I just finished reading Marvel Ruins by Warren Ellis... and man i f*cking hate myself for wasting my data pack on that sh*t.

The story follows some random reporter with a hunch trying to find out what's going on and why everything it's so f*cked up with his heroes, long story short: every superhero either died or has cancer instead of superpowers.

Peter Parker is bitten by a radioactive spider and ends up covered in a webbed rash that spreads cancer.
Bruce banner is doused in gamma rays and ends up as a hulking tumor riddled monstrosity.
Wolverine is a guy who shows the bone deformity in his hands for free beer.
Punisher got shot in the street... it's fair to say he had cancer too.

Not gonna lie, morbid curiosity made me read this and i always love a good freak show, it's interesting to see dark versions of marvel characters where they end up really bad, either Rick Jones being a junkie with radiation poisoning (Cancer) or Mystique brain's imploding because she developed multiple personalities, but there's nothing else to bask in besides shock value.
The art it's legit good when it focuses on the characters or action... but god damn it's distractingly awful at most times, the Nick Fury part looks like it wss drawn by Frank Miller using his asshole, a particular panel it's literally just a bunch of scribbles. Luckily they changed of artist in the last issue, then just when it's bearable to look at... the main character dies. Period.

It's good if you are looking for a depresive experience but there's nothing else to it than shocking panels and famous superheroes being killed by their own special abilities. I don't get why it's so praised.
  • Saganist, Pavle and Payne Killer like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:26 AM

Finally got around to getting DKIII #8.

I gotta say, pretty badass. Wonder Woman and the Amazonians vs the Kryptonians. Kind of like a miniature 300.

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

I'm on my way to heaven.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 3 weeks ago

MQqNz7d.jpg
I got some Star Trek comics, nerding out right now.
  • UshaB likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users