Quantcast

» «
Photo

Everybody leaves the session all of a sudden!

Best Answer FilipCRO, 11 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

I have this weird issue when playing GTAO on PC. I get in a session full of players, and after 10-15 minutes everybody leaves in the same moment.

I know, the only person that "leaves" the session is me, but still, its a connection problem because damn R* doesn`t want to put dedicated servers for this game. Instead, the damn game behaves like a torrent (literally) and everybody is connecting to everybody. Holy sh*t rockstar !

There is NOTHING that I haven`t already tried.
1. Playing wired all the time
2. Made a static IP address for my PC and correctly forwarded all of those uselles GTAO ports, also enabled uPnP.
3. I even put my damn IP address into DMZ, so that I can get NAT Type : Open in the Network information when you open social club (Home button)
4. Tried putting GTA network processes into high priority in the Killer Network Manager program.
5. Changed the MTU size in router settings to 1473.
6. Opened UDP 3074 port.

Nothing helps -.-

I have a good internet connection (this issue was almost never happening when I was playing Online on PS3) and I`m using a wired connection. I play Battlefield 4 regularly, and its smooth as butter (no lag, no connection lost, no rubberbanding)

I have the Technicolor TC7200.20 cable modem gateway.

Has someone managed to fix this issue ? Please share your experiences on this matter 

-

It seems like the only problem was my Technicolor TC7200.20 gateway. I asked my ISP to put it into bridge mode, they did. After that, I connected a regular TP link router to the technicolor and voila!, problems solved.

I played GTA Online on PC for 2 weeks now and there are no more "everybody left" and "connection lost due to an unknown error" issues.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Any router should work btw, the point is that the Technicolor modem/gateway is in some way interfering with GTA Online.

This guy here had the same problem and the same gateway modem : https://www.reddit.c..._network_error/

If you have cable internet (Comcact or similar) and a cable modem gateway (that is also a router, therefore a 2 in 1) and experience this issue, you can try the aforementioned fix, it will probably help.

Go to the full post

42 replies to this topic

Poll: Everybody leaves the session all of a sudden! (123 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you experience the issue described below ?

1. Yes (102 votes [82.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 82.93%

2. Yes, but rarely. (20 votes [16.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.26%

3. No (1 votes [0.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote
FilipCRO
  • FilipCRO

I ❤ Vice City

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:07 AM Edited by FilipCRO, 16 March 2016 - 01:07 AM.

I have this weird issue when playing GTAO on PC. I get in a session full of players, and after 10-15 minutes everybody leaves in the same moment.

I know, the only person that "leaves" the session is me, but still, its a connection problem because damn R* doesn`t want to put dedicated servers for this game. Instead, the damn game behaves like a torrent (literally) and everybody is connecting to everybody. Holy sh*t rockstar !

There is NOTHING that I haven`t already tried.
1. Playing wired all the time
2. Made a static IP address for my PC and correctly forwarded all of those uselles GTAO ports, also enabled uPnP.
3. I even put my damn IP address into DMZ, so that I can get NAT Type : Open in the Network information when you open social club (Home button)
4. Tried putting GTA network processes into high priority in the Killer Network Manager program.
5. Changed the MTU size in router settings to 1473.
6. Opened UDP 3074 port.

Nothing helps -.-

I have a good internet connection (this issue was almost never happening when I was playing Online on PS3) and I`m using a wired connection. I play Battlefield 4 regularly, and its smooth as butter (no lag, no connection lost, no rubberbanding)

I have the Technicolor TC7200.20 cable modem gateway.

Has someone managed to fix this issue ? Please share your experiences on this matter 

WedgieFever
  • WedgieFever

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:01 AM

Most people with this issue have a cable isp, TWC for me. Do some google searches and you will notice mostly, if not only, cable isp's regarding this issue. Read somewhere that they block ports, so only your isp can resolve it. Good luck with that. I just gave up. Let us know if you find any lasting solutions.
  • FilipCRO likes this

Bitsey
  • Bitsey

Bang bang, Mendoza shot me down

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:48 PM Edited by Bitsey, 18 March 2016 - 09:23 AM.

I had this issue from day one and now it's back since the latest update. It's driving me nuts but I believe the MTU is still a big part of the solution. I'm on ADSL and my optimal MTU is 1450 (according to guides like this). So what makes you choose 1473?

However, now I lowered mine to 1400 and that might work, but I didn't have enough time for testing yet. It's really no big deal to set it as low as that. It might also help if you configure Windows itself and not just your router. On W7/8 you can do that with the netsh command like in this guide here (no clue about W10 though). Btw, changing your MTU via netsh works right away without restarts whatsoever.

Edit: I've been playing for a few hours and works out fine for me. Better than ever  :inlove:

FilipCRO
  • FilipCRO

I ❤ Vice City

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:45 AM Edited by FilipCRO, 17 March 2016 - 04:27 PM.

Most people with this issue have a cable isp, TWC for me. Do some google searches and you will notice mostly, if not only, cable isp's regarding this issue. Read somewhere that they block ports, so only your isp can resolve it. Good luck with that. I just gave up. Let us know if you find any lasting solutions.

This ^^

I also think it has to do with my modem. Look at this post here : http://gtaforums.com...c/?p=1067412215

Apparently hooking up a second router to your cable modem fixes this problem. Never tried it though.

I had this issue from day one and now it's back since the latest update. It's driving me nuts but I believe the MTU is still a big part of the solution. I'm on ADSL and my optimal MTU is 1450 (according to guides like this). So what makes you choose 1473?

However, now I lowered mine to 1400 and that might work, but I didn't have enough time for testing yet. It's really no big deal to set it as low as that. It might also help if you configure Windows itself and not just your router. On W7/8 you can do that with the netsh command like in this guide here (no clue about W10 though). Btw, changing your MTU via netsh works right away without restarts whatsoever.

Let us know if that's any use. I will also add my personal results here as soon as I've more time to play. 

I also have this issue from the day I bought the PC version, its so much worse since the last update.

I put my MTU to 1473 because it was mentioned here : https://support.rock...Troubleshooting

Thanks for bringing this up, I can now choose a better MTU, maybe it`ll help.

EDIT : According to the guide, my optimal MTU size is 1500 (1472+28). I put it to 1500 in router settings and in Windows, but didn`t notice any difference, I even got 2 times "connection lost due to unknown error".

TomTomFTW
  • TomTomFTW

TomTomFTW

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

This has been going on forever
  • FilipCRO and Eternal Donkey like this

Bitsey
  • Bitsey

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

EDIT : According to the guide, my optimal MTU size is 1500 (1472+28). I put it to 1500 in router settings and in Windows, but didn`t notice any difference, I even got 2 times "connection lost due to unknown error".

My point was to lower your MTU beyond your optimal packet size, not the other way around. Who knows what else header options GTAO is carrying. We all agree that it's garbage, so why not just try 1400 and see what happens? It works for me so far btw.

FilipCRO
  • FilipCRO

I ❤ Vice City

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:17 PM Edited by FilipCRO, 17 March 2016 - 10:20 PM.

I think that MTU doesnt make a big difference, tried 1400 now. Will also try 1450.

>> I think I managed to solve the "everybody left" problem by disabling uPnP in my router settings and turning off a traffic handler program (Killer Network manager).

But I still get "connection lost due to an unknown network error"  :sui:

• Karrecod likes this

Bitsey
  • Bitsey

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:52 AM

I'm no expert either but MTU means a big deal in GTAO. As more there's going on, as more the packets are prone to fragment, and for GTAO this means you're out. That's most noticeable and the typical case, if you lose the session at the moment something explodes around you. While a lower value will cost you a little bit of bandwidth, it actually helps your latency.

So, disabling uPnP seems  odd to me but what do I know. Btw, UDP port 3074 is redundant for PC. Just for the record, all port mappings you need are UDP at 6672 and 61455-61458. I've seen that a lot of peeps have issues with that Killer Network Manager though.

Anyway, you can also try to harden your network stability by using this TCP Optimizer, and I strongly recommend to read the documentation instead of merely relying on it's auto-tuning. On top of that, you can also try optimizing your Ethernet adapter's hardware config, from that sort of which they discussed here, because those drivers usually have questionable defaults. Every single bit of fine tuning helps with GTAO from my experience.

bruvs-mcfc
  • bruvs-mcfc

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

Jesus , I wish to god I knew what the hell you lot were talking about , yes I have these issues , no I don't think I'll be resolving them anytime soon
  • Cool Username likes this

FilipCRO
  • FilipCRO

I ❤ Vice City

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:51 AM

Yep, I think I solved the annoying "everybody left" problem (disabled UpNp and erased Killer Network Manager app), but I now I occasionally get "connection lost due to an unknown error". It happens very randomly. I have no idea how to fix that

Eternal Donkey
  • Eternal Donkey

Lady Kush :)(:

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:15 AM

You can't solve unknown network error problem.You can't fix it.It's a rockstar-created error with patch 1.06.

• FilipCRO and HeavyDuke like this

FilipCRO
  • FilipCRO

I ❤ Vice City

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:23 PM

You can't solve unknown network error problem.You can't fix it.It's a rockstar-created error with patch 1.06.

Do you have some source on this information ? 1.06 came long time ago.

iddqdvie
  • iddqdvie

Oldschool Rebel

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:58 PM

tc7200! i have it too. i will buy a second router. if it doesnt help i will change the tc7200 from my isp.

the disconnects are outrages since the update...

i unplugged the router just now to let it "recover". might help for a while.

• FilipCRO likes this

iddqdvie
  • iddqdvie

Oldschool Rebel

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:52 PM

well it might help a bit. i could finish a race again. in free roam everybody leaves after a short while and my game crashes regulary. it started with the update and it got worse every day.

its was so flawless once...  :(

FilipCRO
  • FilipCRO

I ❤ Vice City

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:33 PM Edited by FilipCRO, 19 March 2016 - 11:34 PM.

iddqdvie, I had the same problem, everybody would leave, I would try to find a new session or join my friend`s session and then the game would crash out of nowhere.

Try this :

1. Disable uPnP

2. Put a static IP address for your PC with this program : Port Forward Network Utilities

3. Put that static Ip address into DMZ in your router settings (Advanced --> DMZ Host)

^^ These things helped me, but I still occasionally get the "connection lost due to an unknown error" issue.

It think it maybe has something to do with the game, because my connection is stable, and if I really lose the connection, then I would be signed off from Social Club, but I don`t. The game just throws me into singleplayer when it happens.

• iddqdvie likes this

Bitsey
  • Bitsey

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:01 AM

...maybe has something to do with the game, because my connection is stable, and if I really lose the connection, then I would be signed off from Social Club, but I don`t.

That's because Social Club relies on TCP/IP, which has special error correction capabilities. It can handle a whole lot of packet loss, while the game play itself relies on UDP, which is very fast and responsive but has no such things whatsoever. Maybe you should call your ISP by now.

However, I agree that GTAO's networking is garbage and I bet that's because it's a console port. Poor design works for unified systems like an xbox but is just asking for trouble on PCs with their waste amounts of configs. I can't tell if your ISP or router is bad, but quite frankly, most peeps should stop whining like "It's the game!" and saying "It's unfixable!" but instead of that, just delve in and get to science the sh*t out of their sh*tty network defaults.

FilipCRO
  • FilipCRO

I ❤ Vice City

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:28 AM Edited by FilipCRO, 20 March 2016 - 02:09 AM.

...maybe has something to do with the game, because my connection is stable, and if I really lose the connection, then I would be signed off from Social Club, but I don`t.

That's because Social Club relies on TCP/IP, which has special error correction capabilities. It can handle a whole lot of packet loss, while the game play itself relies on UDP, which is very fast and responsive but has no such things whatsoever. Maybe you should call your ISP by now.

I didn`t know that. You want to say that sometime during the game I am getting packet loss or something ?

BTW. I done some tests, just for the record : 142022617.png   5182306750.png

However, I agree that GTAO's networking is garbage and I bet that's because it's a console port. Poor design works for unified systems like an xbox but is just asking for trouble on PCs with their waste amounts of configs. I can't tell if your ISP or router is bad, but quite frankly, most peeps should stop whining like "It's the game!" and saying "It's unfixable!" but instead of that, just delve in and get to science the sh*t out of their sh*tty network defaults.

The router I have (Technicolor) is problematic when it comes to GTA Online, period. I should hook up a second router to my main modem/router combo and that should fix all problems.

btw. GTAO's P2P networking is the best I have ever seen, so fluid, the problems are always on our end.

</sarcasm>

Really, I would like to see Rockstar doing a liverstream with a famous person playing in freemode with 18 other players, and suddenly boom, player x left, player y left, player z left etc. etc.until he is all alone in that session!

bruvs-mcfc
  • bruvs-mcfc

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:46 AM

All these settings your on about is it PC exclusive it are all relevant to Xbox too , rhanka

FilipCRO
  • FilipCRO

I ❤ Vice City

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:11 AM Edited by FilipCRO, 20 March 2016 - 02:16 AM.

All these settings your on about is it PC exclusive it are all relevant to Xbox too , rhanka

No. The settings I mentioned before can also be applied for your xbox https://support.rock...Troubleshooting

Bitsey
  • Bitsey

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:45 AM

Packet loss is basically always and everywhere. It's just the question how bad it is. Pingtest.net is from my experience not particularly reliable btw, but you could try some more distance servers (like west coast USA) and see how that goes. But I've really no idea of what basis they test it. I don't think I saw any loss from pingtest.net ever, even as I had technically difficulties. I've no other line quality tests at hand though.

If you want to give it a try, I would be happy to share my two cents about some stuff you could try with TCP Optimizer and stuff. I dunno about consoles but Windows by default is badly optimized for gaming. And then there's the thing like with your network manager or firewalls. Some desktop firewalls, like mine, include packet filter techniques, which also can interfere with something fragile as UDP based P2P gaming. Apart from that, I don't think I can contribute anything else to this topic. Best luck to get it solved though.

Absolut
  • Absolut

Homie

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:50 AM

Nothing valuable to add to the discussion, BUT i bust want to say that network has become A LOT less reliable after the update. I have had huge trouble playing with a friend, we just can't connect to each others game/mission. Other time it connects right away, and works flawlessly. Something has changed way, WAY worse
  • FilipCRO likes this

iddqdvie
  • iddqdvie

Oldschool Rebel

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:44 AM

iddqdvie, I had the same problem, everybody would leave, I would try to find a new session or join my friend`s session and then the game would crash out of nowhere.

Try this :

1. Disable uPnP

2. Put a static IP address for your PC with this program : Port Forward Network Utilities

3. Put that static Ip address into DMZ in your router settings (Advanced --> DMZ Host)

^^ These things helped me, but I still occasionally get the "connection lost due to an unknown error" issue.

It think it maybe has something to do with the game, because my connection is stable, and if I really lose the connection, then I would be signed off from Social Club, but I don`t. The game just throws me into singleplayer when it happens.

i already did that, and i optimized my MTU. DMZ didnt seem to help when i tried it some time ago. and i am not sure how unsecure DMZ can be. might give it a shot,

but hey:

after my posting yesterday, i had some success with the crashing. in short: i changed my xbox elite controller drivers to the xbox controller drivers. i read about the new win update having issues and gave it a shot, a good one. also my router may have liked the unplugging. instead of disconnecting in every race for the whole evening and crashing every hour i was able to play the "whole" night in the same playlist.

i will still buy a second router tomorrow and if i disconnect in a race today i will try DMZ again.

bruvs-mcfc
  • bruvs-mcfc

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

Before o ask I admit I am as a dumb f*ck where tech stuff is concerned , give mevmaths equations to solve I won't be beaten but technical info just won't commit in my brain so a
Quick question , I have sky broadband but crap router , bt accidently del a top bt router to my house , was wondering if I could use that router to connect to my sky or will it only work with sky's router ,
I mean if say I wanted to listen to a radio station I could tune any radio in to pick up station and allow me to listen ,will bt's router not justify broadband to e after all how would the router even know who had sent signal to it , sorry if this is a really dumb buy worth asking on off chance I use free router.

FilipCRO
  • FilipCRO

I ❤ Vice City

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:48 PM Edited by FilipCRO, 21 March 2016 - 02:38 PM.

Packet loss is basically always and everywhere. It's just the question how bad it is. Pingtest.net is from my experience not particularly reliable btw, but you could try some more distance servers (like west coast USA) and see how that goes. But I've really no idea of what basis they test it. I don't think I saw any loss from pingtest.net ever, even as I had technically difficulties. I've no other line quality tests at hand though.

If you want to give it a try, I would be happy to share my two cents about some stuff you could try with TCP Optimizer and stuff. I dunno about consoles but Windows by default is badly optimized for gaming. And then there's the thing like with your network manager or firewalls. Some desktop firewalls, like mine, include packet filter techniques, which also can interfere with something fragile as UDP based P2P gaming. Apart from that, I don't think I can contribute anything else to this topic. Best luck to get it solved though.

I tried a server in Honolulu (Hawaii) several times and got 0% packet loss, though ping was 200ms, but that is expected.

I could try the TCP Optimizer you recommended, but you said to not use its auto-tuning and I'm afraid of screwing something up, I'm no expert when it comes to networking.

EDIT : Tried the aforementioned program (backuped up my default settings before that), and it didn`t help, the "everybody left" issue even returned. I used auto-tuning

iddqdvie
  • iddqdvie

Oldschool Rebel

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

Before o ask I admit I am as a dumb f*ck where tech stuff is concerned , give mevmaths equations to solve I won't be beaten but technical info just won't commit in my brain so a
Quick question , I have sky broadband but crap router , bt accidently del a top bt router to my house , was wondering if I could use that router to connect to my sky or will it only work with sky's router ,
I mean if say I wanted to listen to a radio station I could tune any radio in to pick up station and allow me to listen ,will bt's router not justify broadband to e after all how would the router even know who had sent signal to it , sorry if this is a really dumb buy worth asking on off chance I use free router.

yeah, well the radio thing is a one way direction, router and isp talk to each other, isp says serialnumber pls, router says 1234567890Z, isp says here you go. (your routers serial number is bound to your isp account) 

FilipCRO
  • FilipCRO

I ❤ Vice City

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:40 AM Edited by FilipCRO, 22 March 2016 - 01:44 AM.

I also tried disabling some things in my Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller settings as recommended by Bitsey : http://www.rpgcodex....d-driver.88083/

Tested it for 2 days, didn`t notice any improvement, still getting the  "connection lost due to an unknown error" issue.

Is there a possibilty that Windows Firewall is causing some kind of interference to the game ? I have it at default settings btw.

bruvs-mcfc
  • bruvs-mcfc

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:05 PM Edited by bruvs-mcfc, 23 March 2016 - 06:07 PM.

yeah, well the radio thing is a one way direction, router and isp talk to each other, isp says serialnumber pls, router says 1234567890Z, isp says here you go. (your routers serial number is bound to your isp account) 

But surly that would mean that it would be pointless even manufacturing routers unless you get lucky and supply via isp ,so unless your supplier gives you a new router if your having , problems you can't upgrade yourself

P.s thanks for replying

Eternal Donkey
  • Eternal Donkey

Lady Kush :)(:

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

Do you have some source on this information ? 1.06 came long time ago.

Source is me,playing since release.You can search on internet to find some information about it but I haven't seen yet anyone who solved this problem.

• FilipCRO likes this

FilipCRO
  • FilipCRO

I ❤ Vice City

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:39 PM

That error is so annoying, it seems like it happens far more often since this last update.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:48 PM

Try this :

1. Disable uPnP

Just to make people aware, disabling uPnP will most likely have a detrimental effect on other devices using the network, and since you're suggesting putting the PC into a DMZ (which is a bad idea, btw) then it's irrelevant.  uPnP only affects devices that have to go through the router firewall.  In effect, by putting your PC in a DMZ, you are bypassing the firewall so uPnP has literally no effect on it.  You should just leave it enabled - it will make no difference whatsoever if you have put your PC in a DMZ.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users