Photo

The Most Underrated Bands/Artists

39 replies to this topic
B Dawg
  • B Dawg

It was mine, Cactus Wine!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:06 PM Edited by B Dawg, 11 February 2017 - 04:15 PM.

There will never be great bands again.

Today's bands might never get the same recognition older bands did, but who cares? At least they're there :p

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:20 PM

There will never be great bands again.

Today's bands might never get the same recognition older bands did, but who cares? At least they're there :p

But for some reason I do care. I realize people have different tastes, and others don't need to like the same music I like. But it would be terrific if we had another Zeppelin, or another Journey, or another Queen (will never happen :p). I don't know. I just wish the really good rock bands of today could get some more recognition. IMO the most successful and popular rock group of today is probably Foo Fighters. At least they release great music that gets decent radio time. 

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

I suppose one monsterous issue is the incomplete package. There are brilliant singers and bands that play/sing good music (rag n bone man, kings of leon, hoosier) but that's it. Where's the act. The presence, the balls in a pants suit, the boobs in a bomber jacket. Right now one of the best acts is Lady GaGa (and I shudder at the thought). Just imagine Justin Hawkins in a lady gaga outfit. I'd pay to see that.

OCDee
  • OCDee

Pedantic Bitch

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:35 AM

I could mention a gazillion prog rock or metal bands that doesn't get the attention they deserved/deserve.

The most underrated band I know of currently is probably Magma.

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:27 AM Edited by Queen, 12 February 2017 - 06:30 AM.

I suppose one monsterous issue is the incomplete package. There are brilliant singers and bands that play/sing good music (rag n bone man, kings of leon, hoosier) but that's it. Where's the act. The presence, the balls in a pants suit, the boobs in a bomber jacket. Right now one of the best acts is Lady GaGa (and I shudder at the thought). Just imagine Justin Hawkins in a lady gaga outfit. I'd pay to see that.

I'm actually a big GaGa fan. I think she's immensely talented, and deserves the success she's achieved. She far outshines her contemporaries. But that aside, Justin was far more flamboyant when The Darkness first hit it off.

justin-hawkins-03.jpg

He's sort of sobered up (and rightfully so). While I still think they're good, they're certainly not as great as they were when they were hungry. Which I don't get. You'd think that their album Hot Cakes would have been more feisty. Instead the comeback album started with a moderate rocker. *yawn*

It's still good...but it didn't have that immediate punch the first album had. I mean, you couldn't write a bigger and better hit single than I Believe in a Thing Called Love. That song was the sh*t.  And here lies the problem. No matter how great your band is, or how original they are, unless you've got the hits to back it up you're not going to get the forefront of attention. That's what separates bands like King Crimson from bands like Queen. The Darkness churned out one huge hit, but each effort afterwards failed to harness the same power.

And don't get me wrong, I think The Darkness are fab. Their most recent album has got some pretty killer tracks. But unfortunately I think they'll never climb back to the top. Damn shame too. I was hoping they would help bring about a change in the music industry. You know, more glam. Lots more glam. That's my favorite kind of rock and I want it to be successful.

Mr Leeinstsein
  • Mr Leeinstsein

life used to be

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

The Cult and Alice In Chains have to be my choosing, they're superb rock bands. 

Evil-Empire
  • Evil-Empire

Thug

• Members
  • France

Posted 3 weeks ago

The Ray Wilson, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks Gensis band is dramatically underrated. Calling all stations is a masterpiece. I bought it 20 years ago and still love it as on the first day.

xrCore
  • xrCore

'MURICA

• Members

Posted A week ago Edited by xrCore, A week ago.

smrtdeath, coldhart/gbc, superheaven, odin (look up fleeky), three loco, killstation

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted A week ago

I suppose it depends on what you define as "underrated". To me, there's three categories:

1. Bands/artists you seldom see discussed, but are generally seen to be decent, with a clean and inoffensive career.

2. Bands/artists that are perceived to be generally quite rubbish, but you like them and you know at least some people like them.

3. Bands/artists you haven't seen discussed much at all that could be seen as quite obscure even to fans of the genre.

It's hard too because there's no doubt at all you could post your pick and someone would roll along and argue the toss with you that they're not underrated and that you know nothing about music, yadda yadda yadda. For example, I could say The Residents (one of my favourite bands) are quite underrated because not many people you'd ask from day to day would know who they were, despite them having been a band since the 1960s and have released consistently experimental/genre pushing material ever since. However, this would probably piss off the fans even more dedicated that I am who have absolutely every single album/EP they've released and are part of some goofy fan club where dozens of people meet every other Saturday to listen to something and bask in obscurity.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion and taste - for something to be underrated, it's all subjective, and it depends what genres you prefer.

MuntyJack
  • MuntyJack

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

In this Moment band

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users