Photo

The Most Underrated Bands/Artists

48 replies to this topic
DoctorStar
  • DoctorStar

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:02 AM Edited by DoctorStar, 30 March 2016 - 02:16 PM.

Shakermaker
  • Shakermaker

Black Hole Sun

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:57 PM

Rose Tattoo:

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

Just a few off the top of my head.

Anthrax

Shadows Fall

Black Tide

Porcupine Tree

Living Colour

Manowar

Platypus Chairlines
  • Platypus Chairlines

Flying chairs carrying platys

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:36 PM

Havok.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

Inepsy, they should be as popular as Motorhead.

• Femme Fatale likes this

Mangled Crow
  • Mangled Crow

This is Crow, CiŠo

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:36 PM

A few bands/artists that people ever heard of only because of their one hit wonders, once you listen to more of their music, you'll know that they are truly geniuses at writing songs.

Crowded House

Duran Duran

The Doobie Brothers

Eagles

Gorillaz

Nazareth

Queen

The Rolling Stones

Simple Minds

Talking Heads

Tom Cochrane

• Queen, icecoldkilla1467 and Ivan1997GTA like this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade
  • Poland

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:17 PM

Fiction Factory. It's sad to hear "Feels Like Heaven" is their only well known song.

• Zook and Ivan1997GTA like this

Videogames888
  • Videogames888

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:21 AM

Tom Petty and Dire Straits , both fantastic rock bands with amazing music and influential music videos. Yet I barely come across people discussing either of them even though their albums sold really well.
  • icecoldkilla1467 and Tonguegirl like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:09 AM

Macabre, they write hilarious and catchy as hell songs about serial killers...And Patrick Cowley, Hi-NRG ftw...

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:32 PM

Wierd Al Yankovich (needs no example as everyone knows him, but rarely speaks his name) and this one guy

Thelema93
  • Thelema93

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

The butterfly effect. These guys should of been much bigger than they were.

Tonguegirl
  • Tonguegirl

You being turned on is what turns me on. Anything goes baby.

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:10 PM

Tom Petty and Dire Straits , both fantastic rock bands with amazing music and influential music videos. Yet I barely come across people discussing either of them even though their albums sold really well.

I agree. Knopfler may not be the best singer, but the music is excellent.

• icecoldkilla1467, Ivan1997GTA and Videogames888 like this

Michael
  • Michael

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:53 AM

I personally think Grimes. She's an amazing musician but not many know her or appreciate her enough..

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:05 PM Edited by SprayPaintedCraniums, 14 August 2016 - 02:07 PM.

The Prairie Cartel, Where Did All My People Go? is a great album...
  • Michael likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

A few bands/artists that people ever heard of only because of their one hit wonders, once you listen to more of their music, you'll know that they are truly geniuses at writing songs.

Crowded House

Duran Duran

The Doobie Brothers

Eagles

Gorillaz

Nazareth

Queen

The Rolling Stones

Simple Minds

Talking Heads

Tom Cochrane

Queen and all those other bands are hardly underrated... I mean... 

I'll leave this topic open but let's not post videos of bands and not explain why you think they're underrated. At least give a bit of context please or I'll lock the topic if it just becomes another excuse to post videos. 

• Night Machine likes this

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:50 PM

Also to put a bit more critique

Crowded House

Duran Duran

The Doobie Brothers

Eagles

Gorillaz

Nazareth

Queen

The Rolling Stones

Simple Minds

Talking Heads

Tom Cochrane

The highlighted are artists I've heard atleast twice a week on radio as well as having multiple songs played from each.

For example

Queen: We Will Rock You; Bohiemian Rhapsody; The Great Pretender: The Show Must Go On; Under Pressure; Another One Bites The Dust;....

Eagles: Hotel California; Lying Eyes; Take it Easy; New Kid in Town; Peacful Easy Feeling; One of These Nights

Rolling Stones: Start Me Up; Paint it Black; Brown Sugar

Truth is a lot of the artists you've mentioned get good billing (even if they've only had a few hits) and are far from underrated.

If you want Underrated try Charlie Rich, Charlie Daniels and Glen Campbell. All big in their field, and very big at a time, but have faded somewhat in popularity due to being considered naff or simply never getting the recognition they deserved. Hell even the Bellamy Brothers have one of the most popular love songs in their collection and people have no idea who they are.

• Mister Pink likes this

JosephStalin
  • JosephStalin

Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.

• BUSTED!
  • Russia

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:58 PM Edited by JosephStalin, 01 September 2016 - 10:04 PM.

R Kelly, one of the greatest R&B vocalists of all time IMO also highly versatile, maybe not out & out underrated but quite underappreciated. 

Bobby Brown never really gets that much recognition but he made some of the best & most recognised New Jack Swing hits.

Landotel
  • Landotel

Rarely Active

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:01 AM

New Radicals and Gregg Alexander, might have heard them from their song "You Get What You Give" as a one hit wonder (1998-1999)

Ivan1997GTA
  • Ivan1997GTA

Proud to Be Loud

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:12 AM Edited by Ivan1997GTA, 06 September 2016 - 10:14 AM.

Killing Joke, particularly during the gothic rock/post-punk era in the 70's and 80's before switching to industrial metal. Kind of a shame how none of the stations in my town, not even Rock FM 95.2 or Silver Rain 100.1, play any songs by them.

• Mister Pink, sivispacem, (Ambient) and 2 others like this

Jezus Holy Christ
  • Jezus Holy Christ

eloi eloi lama sabachthani

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

Logic, The Rapper. He's underrated as f*ck and it's mostly because hip-hop has a habit of ignoring white rappers. Dare I say his "The Incredible True Story" album is favorite album of all time.

Listen to: Nikki and City of Stars.

Lloyd Banks. He used to be a high-selling rapper back in early 2000s, when G-Unit was the hottest rap crew. But people never respected him because of his own work. His fans were mostly 50 Cent fans who listened to his albums because he was in the Unit, and thus he never got much recognition.

Listen to: Super Crack and Predator (f. Styles P)

Yelawolf. He's a country rap pioneer. I think he did a mistake by signing to Shady Records because people lost interest in him after that. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, he's making top-notch music. I highly recommend his Love Story album. It was a masterpiece.

Listen to: Devil In My Veins and Disappear.

EarthGaia
  • EarthGaia

Don't mess with Cuphead!

• The Yakuza
  • Netherlands
  • Contribution Award [Music]

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:50 PM Edited by GloryBox94, 06 September 2016 - 04:51 PM.

Lemon Jelly were a low-profile downtempo duo, but well known to a catchy song call "Nice Weather for Ducks" from Lost Horizons (2002, and mentioning that album was an iconic success and nominated to many prizes). Another song called "A Tune for Jack", was featured in an episode of CSI: Miami (Golden Parachute), and other songs were used to advertisement, now since 2005, they are on hiatus, missed by many fans and underrated on the media currently:

• Mister Pink likes this

inbetweendays_
  • inbetweendays_

Playa

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:09 PM Edited by inbetweendays_, 10 September 2016 - 12:10 PM.

R-531400-1449917118-6870.jpeg.jpg

Though they're probably more popular now than in the 90's.

• Eris likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Best Queen Fan
    Nicest Member 2016

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:04 AM

Foxy Shazam:

The Darkness:

• Cudwieser likes this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:04 AM

The Gun Club, I've been listening to them since I heard Sex Beat on the Scarface game...I'm not sure how to describe their sound, but to me they sound like a mixture of rock, blues, and country...Although some of their songs I can't tell what it is, this is one of them...

Also, their lead singer kinda reminds me of Jim Morrison...
  • B Dawg and Ivan1997GTA like this

LaBombaRomba
  • LaBombaRomba

Straya. "Fear denies faith", ⌐■_■

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:20 AM

MOOG, he does a bunch of cool songs and i believe it's called 'trap'... i think... Other cool part is in his spare time he does car related stuff with his mate Marty for a channel called 'Mighty Car Mods', he's a chill and funny guy and all the music on that channel is his own.

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:14 AM

Nocturnal Fear deserves more recognition from the metal underground...Unlike Macabre where at least one of five local metal fans know them, I've yet to encounter one who knows NF...This is my my favorite song by them, f*cking epic and it lives up to its name...I can easily imagine some dude listening to it while burning a bunch of people with a flamethrower...

DomesticatedRedFox
  • DomesticatedRedFox

Player Hater

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:24 PM

I have to say Gotye. I mean there is Somebody That I used to Know, but there is barely nothing else that is a hit of his.

(Stupid pop culture... Dosen't know great music.)

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:03 AM

The Darkness:

I haven't been here in a while. That Darkness song echos a shuddering thought. There will never be great bands again. No Queen, No ACDC, No Sabbath. Too many big sounds have faded and too few care to listen.

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Best Queen Fan
    Nicest Member 2016

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:55 AM Edited by Queen, 11 February 2017 - 03:56 AM.

I haven't been here in a while. That Darkness song echos a shuddering thought. There will never be great bands again. No Queen, No ACDC, No Sabbath. Too many big sounds have faded and too few care to listen.

Indeed. The Darkness are more or less the last of their kind.

A while back I participated in a class and one of our opening icebreakers was to stand in a circle and say something you think that most others would agree to enjoying. I said that I loved rock music. No one in the class felt the same way. That's the moment it really hit home. Rock isn't given enough love anymore. But thankfully you've got bands like The Darkness still trying to carry on with the tradition. And I love them for it.

Fun fact. Roger Taylor's son now plays drums in The Darkness. Roger Taylor is the drummer in Queen. Father like son, eh?

• Cudwieser likes this

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

Indeed. The Darkness are more or less the last of their kind.

A while back I participated in a class and one of our opening icebreakers was to stand in a circle and say something you think that most others would agree to enjoying. I said that I loved rock music. No one in the class felt the same way. That's the moment it really hit home. Rock isn't given enough love anymore. But thankfully you've got bands like The Darkness still trying to carry on with the tradition. And I love them for it.

Fun fact. Roger Taylor's son now plays drums in The Darkness. Roger Taylor is the drummer in Queen. Father like son, eh?

On a broader note. Barry Gibbs two sons helped him with his latest single, one a guitarist iirc and the other a manager. There are cases in isolation, but even then. ATM I'm digging Synthwave and the 80's vibe it has stirred up, but for proper passioned sound...Too few are joining in.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users