Quantcast

» «
Photo

What are your favorite Rockstar years?

114 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Era? (165 member(s) have cast votes)

What years are your favorite?

1. 1997-1999 (GTA, Body Harvest, GTA 2) (2 votes [1.21%])

Percentage of vote: 1.21%

2. 2001-2007 (GTA 3, GTA: San Andreas, Bully, Max Payne) (80 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

3. 2008-2012 (GTA IV, Max Payne 3, L.A Noire, Red Dead Redemption) (80 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

4. 2013-present (GTA V, GTA Online) (3 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Old Dinosaur
  • Old Dinosaur

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!
  • Australia

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:50 AM Edited by Old Dinosaur, 23 April 2016 - 04:05 AM.

obviously 2001 - 2007 :) that was when it seemed like it was all about the game's before they sold out and become scum of the earth ! i can't rate 2013 in a positive light considering that was during the time the company was dying of cancer before officially kicking the bucket this past week so so....

rot in hell rockstar you are the definition of a sellout... a person who's morals and principles take a beat seat to the almighty dollar.. 

which is ironic considering their final game before their death was about the pursuit of the almighty dollar 

they let the money and power go to their heads, for shame rockstar.. for shame

--Vega--
  • --Vega--

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:13 PM

2001-2007

During that period, we got some of the most classic and best video games ever created.

I honestly don't know how somebody could choose any other answer but that.

Keano
  • Keano

Two Number Nines

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:03 PM Edited by Keano, 02 May 2016 - 08:04 PM.

2001-2007

During that period, we got some of the most classic and best video games ever created.

I honestly don't know how somebody could choose any other answer but that.

I would have to agree. I spend most of my time going through games from 1997-2007 with exception to Rockstar titles, Fallout games, WWE, and NHL and some more game franchises.

I think it's because games were more edgy and controversial at this point like Manhunt. I can't recall any games I  played from the period I mentioned actually being bad. Nowadays I don't feel there's any creativity in games with exceptions to Rockstar and the Fallout series. Games from 2001-2007 were all different and even if they were the same genre, there was different ways to play i:e The Getaway was different to GTA despite being the same concept.

Just seen the Infinite Warfare trailer and honestly, it's just the same recycled sh*t I've seen for since MW3. Most games have that problem today. 

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Daily Globe
  • Serbia
  • Contribution Award [DYOM]

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:56 PM

2001-2007 - Probably the best R* years in terms of everything. Especially in terms of evolution. They probably did the biggest evolution during these years.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:41 AM

I would say 2001-2007 was the golden age as many people have said. That isn't to say that R* can't do greater games in the future, but that generation in general with the PS2 was special. It's probably the nostalgia talking.

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:57 AM

obviously 2001 - 2007 :) that was when it seemed like it was all about the game's before they sold out and become scum of the earth ! i can't rate 2013 in a positive light considering that was during the time the company was dying of cancer before officially kicking the bucket this past week so so....

rot in hell rockstar you are the definition of a sellout... a person who's morals and principles take a beat seat to the almighty dollar.. 

which is ironic considering their final game before their death was about the pursuit of the almighty dollar 

they let the money and power go to their heads, for shame rockstar.. for shame

How exactly did R* sell out? And sell out to whom?

The company isn't dying, in fact they seem to be more success than they were previously.

I think you need to take off that early 2000 nostalgia mindset and get with the times, where online gaming is loved by the majority.

• Al3x_XXI likes this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

☭ rip sven ☭

• Members
  • GoSquared
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:01 AM Edited by Mr. Fahrenheit, 03 May 2016 - 07:02 AM.

This list is totally fair and 100% well designed.

As you can see, the fact that GTA IV's main vote is stretched out out to MP3 while GTA V's vote has only like two games is totally f*cking fair in every way. This list isn't designed to force V hate. Not at all! lmaoooo what a ridiculous presumption.

You could've at least made 2011- onwards instead of just 2013. But no. We need to push that 'modern rockstar hate' narrative a bit further.
  • Lowi, straightupmenace and Stoney0503 like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

I think you need to take off that early 2000 nostalgia mindset and get with the times, where online gaming is loved by the majority.

No. There's wrong with the mindset when you pull the nostalgia card suffering from a severe case of "trying to roll with the times" because you fail to realise what made the ( SP ) games from 2001-2007 great and put something as crap as ( Online ) multiplayer on a pedestal and consider it to be loved by the majority.

Rejeckted
  • Rejeckted

Blolla 9HA

• Facade
  • India
  • Contribution Award [GFX]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:45 AM Edited by Black Metal, 03 May 2016 - 08:48 AM.

Tbh, every year till now were something special and innovative.

But for Bifurcation, 

1997-2011: Platinum

2013-2016: Gold

I hope future is bright.

• Al3x_XXI likes this

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:17 PM

No. There's wrong with the mindset when you pull the nostalgia card suffering from a severe case of "trying to roll with the times" because you fail to realise what made the ( SP ) games from 2001-2007 great and put something as crap as ( Online ) multiplayer on a pedestal and consider it to be loved by the majority.

I don't really care if you prefer the old games to the newer ones, people like you just exaggerate GTA V's multiplayer as if it was f*cking satan or something, in which case I can't take them seriously, it didn't ruin the franchise at all.

Also, I can't really help the fact that GTA Online is a solid multiplayer (compared to others at least) and beloved by the true fans of the series.

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:52 PM Edited by gunziness, 03 May 2016 - 06:57 PM.

I can't really help the fact that GTA Online is a solid multiplayer (compared to others at least) and beloved by the true fans of the series.

- fact
- beloved by the true fans of the series

Pick one.

To OP: Im undecided. SA is one of my favorite games of all times, and the 3d era games marked my childhood. but the next era have games like MP3, GTAIV+EFLC, which are games that I also love, so its pretty hard for me to actually pick one of those.

The current era has only GTAV, which is a great game, but its only one game against most of R* titles, so I think its pretty soon to fairly judge it and compare it with the rest.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

As you can see, the fact that GTA IV's main vote is stretched out out to MP3 while GTA V's vote has only like two games is totally f*cking fair in every way. This list isn't designed to force V hate. Not at all! lmaoooo what a ridiculous presumption.

You could've at least made 2011- onwards instead of just 2013. But no. We need to push that 'modern rockstar hate' narrative a bit further.

While the poll may indeed look like it was made to endure people's hate to V, there are at least one reason why OP made the poll in this exact way. All these years shown in the poll may be translated on the generation of hardware. And while GTA V begun its life on 7th generation, many people consider this version as a mere beta, released only to gain money and popularity, while true game was shown on 8th gen.

And if we look at the poll from that point of view, it really works. By the way, what's the problem that V is separated from the rest? If it's really that beloved and popular it should gain enough votes to win without any help from other games in the series.

What exactly changing the last option to 2011 - onwards would give us? Only game that would be added is Max Payne 3, but the game wasn't that popular in R* fans' eyes anyway.

• PhillBellic, Misunderstood and Payne Killer like this

Legomanarthur
  • Legomanarthur

We all want peace! But my peace, not their f*cking peace

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

I voted 2008-2012 because I was very impressed at how well made and how interesting the games were and I still am, though I also vote 2001-2007 because these games (especially GTA) introduced me to Rockstar.

Misunderstood
  • Misunderstood

Keep up, motherf*cker!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:29 PM

Read my Original Post. I've already edited in an apology. And no, I didn't do it that way just to spite Online/V fans. For one, I actually like V. The reason I did it is because originally, I had the mentality to break it up in terms of console generations. Then I originally was going to put MP3 with V/Online as well but decided against it. Poor judgement on my part and if it was somehow possible to edit the options, I'd remove the V/Online part and just put it in with the HD era but alas, it's too late for that. But please don't assume I made it this way just to hate on V. I actually like V or I would not own 3 copies of it. 

• PhillBellic likes this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

☭ rip sven ☭

• Members
  • GoSquared
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:11 AM

Read my Original Post. I've already edited in an apology. And no, I didn't do it that way just to spite Online/V fans. For one, I actually like V. The reason I did it is because originally, I had the mentality to break it up in terms of console generations. Then I originally was going to put MP3 with V/Online as well but decided against it. Poor judgement on my part and if it was somehow possible to edit the options, I'd remove the V/Online part and just put it in with the HD era but alas, it's too late for that. But please don't assume I made it this way just to hate on V. I actually like V or I would not own 3 copies of it. 
Fair enough then. I guess we can both agree it was a mistake, though.
  • Misunderstood likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:13 AM

I don't really care if you prefer the old games to the newer ones

Its not that I prefer old games to new ones, but the new ones are average at best and have regressed a lot from 2008 onwards. If you can't realise this and really think that's not the case then its not worth explaining to you.

people like you just exaggerate GTA V's multiplayer as if it was f*cking satan or something, in which case I can't take them seriously, it didn't ruin the franchise at all

It ruined the franchise or not only time will tell, but it has already started to cause major cracks in the franchise and the fan base with an increasing number of people wasting their time pursuing the lame multiplayer, basically addicted, for such a dumb adaptation of the franchise in the form of GTA Online, when clearly they could have designed the same experience and executed better to capture the SP potential.

I can't really help the fact that GTA Online is a solid multiplayer (compared to others at least) and beloved by the true fans of the series.

Thinking that such a lame multiplayer addition will measure up to the SP experience of the franchise, and furthermore implying "beloved by the true fans", just shows that the fan base has changed dramatically that consists a large group of delusional people who think fans have such low standards to even consider this online crap worth playing. It might be beloved by the casual players who enjoy any sh*t to put up with the mainstream, than the actual fans who don't seem to be more interested in Online.

Efreet
  • Efreet

Has your mother finished mourning your father?

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:06 AM Edited by FiS!!HeR, 04 May 2016 - 08:42 AM.

What else other than 2008-2012 period? they started strong in 2001-2007 period, then reached their highest potential in 2008-2012 period, and after that, went down during 2013-present period and who knows what the future is hiding.

To elaborate further, in 2001-2007 period, we had the opportunity to entertain ourselves by yearly releases that are of high quality and different from each other. GTA III, VC, SA, The Warriors, Manhunt, Bully and a few others for racing enthusiasts like Midnight Club. 2008-2012 period had its lion share of yearly and distinguishable releases. There were GTA IV, TLAD, TBOGT, RDR, Undead Nightmare, L.A.Noire and Max Payne 3.

We finally come to the present days, that is the time since GTA V released up to now and what do we have? a mere GTA V game that's widely recognized as an incomplete and unbalanced SP experience, with Online having the priority during the past three years. Where are the different yearly releases that we had until 2012? we don't have them anymore, so why would anyone not call the present period the worst so far? it's not Rockstar hate as much as calling reality for what it's. 

• B Dawg, HaythamKenway and Payne Killer like this

toxluv
  • toxluv

男の子は泣かない

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Italy

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:57 PM Edited by toxluv, 04 May 2016 - 06:54 PM.

While two of my all-time favourite games are GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption, my favourite Rockstar Games years are the 2001-2007 period. In that period, not only they released a lot of games on a yearly basis, but their quality was also top-notch. When it comes to the GTA series, Rockstar Games defined the Open-World genre with their vision, starting with GTAIII, while the other games gave us something fresh and original - Bully is a perfect example of this. I'm still actively playing those Rockstar Games' titles from the PS2-era, and still enjoying them as it was first time I played them.

The 2008-2012 period is a close second even though the only Rockstar Games' titles I played during the PS3-era were GTAIV, GTA: Episodes from Liberty City and Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition. These two games, and three expansion packs have been very important to me.

• Payne Killer likes this

enjoyingorc6742
  • enjoyingorc6742

SA Monster Truck Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:38 AM

2002-2012 for me.

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

Still King

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:06 AM

2001-07 of course. The golden 3D Era and Bully. 2008-12 started with the average IV but saved by a brilliant RDR. 2013-present..just 3 votes, which says a lot.

Karls
  • Karls

w00p

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:07 AM

Favourite year was 2008, because GTA IV.

Or 2012, since that was when I discovered GTA IV.

Still, early HD-era is the best years.

JosephStalin
  • JosephStalin

Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.

• BUSTED!
  • Russia

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:22 AM

I'm going with the HD Era I Enjoy the writing lot more, but the older games were classics, Especially bully I f*cking adore that fantastic  game!

🕊
  • 🕊

Player Hater

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:42 AM Edited by mzt, 12 June 2017 - 05:57 AM.

What happened to 2000? Does Midnight Club Street Racing fall into 99 or 01? (It was a successor to a similar 99 game from Angel Studios, but it was also released on the PS2.  I see it's answered in the OP. It's interesting because it was technically a 3D open world before GTA 3, but that wasn't the point.)

I think the early years on the PS2 were their best. Until San Andreas; not a riff on SA and later games, but by the time SA came out the magical period of innovation felt like it was over. (2000-2004)

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • Canada

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:04 AM

2001-2007 easily

2008-2012 a close second

I have to give the current era we're in a little bit more time to breathe before I can rank it with the other eras :p

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:12 AM

The 3D era, the only one I found genuinely fun in the HD era was Chinatown Wars. It reminded me why I liked GTA in the first place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users