Quantcast

» «
Photo

Revenge or Deal? Which ending is better and more fitting?

78 replies to this topic
Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:51 PM

I always loved picking Deal because it was a much more interesting ending. But now I choose Revenge. It makes more sense.

rodrich266
  • rodrich266

Shut up, sit down, relax

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:20 PM

Sorry to bump thia but I gotta say, of the many replays I've made of this game, I always choose revenge. At first it was because I hated Dimitri and I couldn't see myself in Niko's place doing a deal with him.

But after all these years (almost 8!!) I still take revenge because it makes more sense story wise and character wise. This feels truly like a tragedy but it is perfect for him, taking revenge and not thinking about the consequences just to be hit by it later on.

On the other hand, I even like to believe that this would be the canon ending based off what we see in GTA V. The life invader post is something, but even the fact that we see Packie boarding a plane at the end of TBoGT made me think that he left liberty after most of his family died (maybe her ma passed away so he had nothing to stay as Gerald was locked up, or maybe she lived but under the care of Francis) and how he mentions Niko going dark or quiet.
  • CartmanKusanagi likes this

Shaggy12001
  • Shaggy12001

Shaggy12001

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:27 PM

I chose Deal because it had a more fitting Antagonist and an ending that totally fit the Game, better than Revenge

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:20 PM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 12 July 2016 - 08:26 PM.

I always chose revenge. I don't think Niko would ever want to work with the man that tried to kill him and his cousin again.

I agree with the fancy font canadian kid, Deal's ending with Peg is not as fitting like it is with Dimitri but i can't see Niko working again with the man that tried to kill him multiple times, is just a dumb move.

Taking aside Roman's death, is just the weakest ending because of that leap of common sense in Niko, besides, Dimitri's cartoony betrayal is nothing surprising, Peg actually has a reason to attack Niko.
  • theGTAking101, Payne Killer, Uncle Vlad and 1 other like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:30 PM

Revenge, it's what I would've done in real life...
  • theGTAking101 likes this

eCola
  • eCola

Homie

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:04 PM Edited by Cluckin' Bell, 12 July 2016 - 11:12 PM.

I always choose Revenge. I can't see Niko working for that douche known as Dimitri again after all of what he's done. He was like a snake without its rattle and a boat without a paddle.

dakkajet
  • dakkajet

Trevor Philips

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:32 PM

Went deal, regretted it a bit after Romans death. For my next play through I'll most likely go revenge and see how that all plays out.

JosephStalin
  • JosephStalin

Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.

• BUSTED!
  • Russia

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:59 AM

Depends on how you perceive it, Deal is the better ending from a cinematic standpoint, Dimitri is a far stronger antagonist than the peg, also I think most agree Roman dying is sadder than Katie's death so it's more emotional and powerful.

Revenge is the happier ending out of the two but killing Jimmy was just no way near as satsfying as killing that weasel rascalov, but it was nice to see Niko have some happiness. also, I love A Dish Served Cold such an intense mission!

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:45 AM

You know, ideally Dimitri shouldn't even be involved in the ending. He was lame and should have died or disappear long ago instead of Faustin.

Now what if you had Faustin instead? Deal/Revenge? That'd be more interesting.

• The Deadite likes this

JosephStalin
  • JosephStalin

• BUSTED!
  • Russia

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:57 AM Edited by FuckingYokel, 13 July 2016 - 04:07 AM.

You know, ideally Dimitri shouldn't even be involved in the ending. He was lame and should have died or disappear long ago instead of Faustin.

Now what if you had Faustin instead? Deal/Revenge? That'd be more interesting.

I disagree, Dimitri was a great antagonist the Ultimate snake a traitor of everyone, I loved executing that snake, Faustin was a great character and a convincing psychopath, but he was not cunning or conniving enough to be the main antagonist In my opinion.

Honker1944
  • Honker1944

Playa

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:36 AM

Revenge. Niko was doing crazy sh*t only to find Darko many years after war. I don't think he could let Dimitri live after he trying to kill Bellic's and kidnapping Roman. Niko knows that Dimitri don't let him live with information about Faustin betreal.

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

Revenge, it's what Niko would do and even Phil agrees. It's the more grounded ending, while Deal is more of the trope ending with the closest family member dying and confronting the nemesis in the finale.

ArmyRaidFail404
  • ArmyRaidFail404

Welcome to the Union

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:08 AM

I think that we can all agree that the deal ending was only put in as a second option because Rockstar wanted to experiment with multiple endings. It also helps convey the message of the game that whatever you do there is always something to lose when there is something to gain.

I personally chose Revenge because I played the game late and went to IGN to find out which ending I should do. Putting myself in Niko's shoes I preffered to have family than pussy.

Canonically though, I can support my decision:

In GTA V, Lester says that "there was an Eastern European in Liberty City, but he went quiet." To me, if you were to do the Deal ending and let Roman die, it would put Niko in the state of distress; a state of mind wherein Niko feels a new surge of revenge against anyone. I imagine him going on a rampage afterwards and waging war against the rest of the Russian immigrants. To me, that's not quiet.

I feel that for Niko to go quiet, he needs to find some happiness in his life. Since in the revenge ending he has Roman, that's where he can spend his time finding happiness. With his family.
  • Official General, CartmanKusanagi and theGTAking101 like this

Donatello
  • Donatello

Anyone for stickball? I've got a stick. You be the ball.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

Deal. It goes consistent with sparing Darko.
  • slimeball supreme, Zello and FRANKLINCLINTON2 like this

FRANKLINCLINTON2
  • FRANKLINCLINTON2

Peon

• BUSTED!
  • Bangladesh

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

Yeah,Deal is more fitting with gta iv.Darko should be forgiven,

Paladin Waffles
  • Paladin Waffles

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:29 AM Edited by Paladin Waffles, 13 July 2016 - 10:33 AM.

My answer is a long and difficult one but revenge is the one I have to go with. I originally thought deal was superior and in many ways it is more climactic but it was more of a personal thing for me. GTA 4 has enough dark elements to it and I think Roman deserved to live. The scene where he dies is pretty hard to watch, especially if you initiated every conversation with him and took him out to do all of the activities. Niko and Roman are much closer than they appear to be, Niko is everything Roman wanted in himself but could never muster up the courage to achieve, while Roman is everything Niko wanted to be but was never able to because of his violent personality. It's a horribly sad situation and I think it truly devastated Niko. It's probably the most traumatic event in his life since the war honestly.

The way I see it, Niko had a way out and he took it even if it was messy, even if he wasn't sure that it would work out for him and his family in the long run. I think of it as more of the optimist and defiant ending while deal is just accepting your fate, continuing the life of crime and making deals with crooks that you know are rigged. To loosely quote Niko "No Roman, I will keep killing people and earning money this way forever, this is my curse." I think the Deal ending is a continuation of that in a way but it could be interpreted as the more diplomatic ending as well. It could be interpreted as the ending where he is trying to avoid killing people and that works too. They really are both incredible endings and I love them both almost equally but I think that choosing the more optimistic path in this situation is the best culmination of the game's themes as a whole.

The game is filled with optimists and pessimists everywhere, (optimists) Brucie, Bernie, Roman (pessimists) Packie and Dwayne, almost everyone you work for. Hell, even the Radio DJs express these characteristics to some extent, Iggy and the Journey DJ are obviously the pessimistic ones while others may vary on the scale. Another subtle detail, Roman is much more of an optimist than Kate is. In fact, I would argue that she is a cold pessimist that simply pretends to be an optimist, look at the way she abandons Niko if you choose deal, she doesn't trust him at all or anybody for that matter. Kate is a shut in and given the family she grew up under... Yeah, I feel really bad for her and every action she takes makes perfect sense, nothing she said or did was out of character and it's the exact same situation with Packie but I feel even worse for him. My god, the situation with his Father was just horrifying, I can't even imagine.

In the end, being an optimist or a pessimist is personal (obviously) and I agree with both sides in different ways but I think it's good to TRY to be an optimist. I wouldn't consider myself an optimist, I'm a pretty bad optimist IRL. I think I'm a mix of both but TRYING is important and that's why revenge is my ending, it represents defiance. If you do what your heart tells you it can leads to good outcomes, sometimes doing the right thing is the only way out and I do believe it was the right thing as brutal as it was. What were Niko's other options when it comes to dealing with Dimitri, calling the cops, getting someone else to take him out for him? No, it was his duty! Niko HAD to do it, and it or else more people would get hurt and it ended up hurting himself the most at the end.

The final confrontation with Pegorino is nothing short of amazing, it shows Niko when he's almost at his worst. For being the more optimistic ending, he ends up more beaten down than ever. He got out in the only way he could and it almost broke him mentally. He toys with Pegorino before he kills him and Roman says, "We did it, we won!" And Niko says "I don't know. What did I do?" as he lowers his rifle and that's all that needs to be said in that scene, it's perfect. I like the approach that deal takes as well with Niko almost ready to break down in tears over what happened with Roman. "Roman never hurt anyone." and then Jacob saying "I know, it's okay, you won...." and Niko, not saying anything, just looks at Jacob with a broken expression on his face, it's more ambiguous and I like that ending too. Maybe the silence in that scene hints at Niko holding in his emotions more and not speaking out about them, while in the other ending he actually speaks up. Maybe it's implying that he'll actually be willing talk about it when he feels bad about the things he's done.... But that is some heavy speculation on my part, it's possible I'm reading too much into that one. However, this is a game that is incredibly well written, the best written game ever made in my opinion and my favorite video game of all time, so I wouldn't put it past these writers, they're good at what they do and I can't praise the game enough.

• HaythamKenway, theGTAking101 and PJR_4015 like this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

off topic > writers discussion > red triangle

• Members
  • GoSquared
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:24 AM

Deal, easily.
  • Zello likes this

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:37 PM Edited by Cheatz_N_Trickz, 14 July 2016 - 08:13 PM.

Deal. It goes consistent with sparing Darko.

You've got it backwards. Spare Darko/Revenge fit together much better. After sparing him, there's no way Niko would roll over and let Dimitri live as well (which were his intentions going into the deal). Kill Darko/Deal would be the opposite. It'd be reasonable to assume that after killing Darko and feeling empty Niko might consider the deal.

But Darko is a completley (COMPLETELY!) different vengeance than Dimitri. It's a lot deeper with Darko, whom Niko feels he needs to kill. Niko isn't going to "feel empty" after killing Dimitri, he kills him gleefully, actually.
  • B Dawg, eCola and The Deadite like this

DERGaming
  • DERGaming

Dagger

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:52 AM

Deal is more fitting but gameplay wise revenge is the way to go

Big Mike
  • Big Mike

Alderney Resident

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:14 AM

Deal fits it more but I usually choose revenge.

Uncle Vlad
  • Uncle Vlad

annoying dick

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:33 AM Edited by Uncle Vlad, 15 July 2016 - 11:33 AM.

I agree that the deal ending would be more fitting (except Niko working with Dimitri again), but I never chose it. I just like Roman too much. I don´t hate Kate, she´s quite okay, but compared to Roman she´s expendable.

• eCola likes this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

My music's my favourite music ever.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:11 PM Edited by Jeansowaty, 15 July 2016 - 12:11 PM.

Both of them have pros and cons... I can't really decide which one is canon but imo Deal is a bit more fitting. Niko, after finding Darko, literally had enough of everything and had all types of crazy thoughts. 

As I said multiple times before, the best ending ever would be if Niko would kill Dimitri and then betray Pegorino by luring him onto the Platypus, then killing him as well. In the mission later you and Phil would finally steal the cash and put a final end to all of Pegorino's goons trying to take Niko down for what he did. The aftermath of this would be the wedding going down all nice, and Phil could even become a friend of Niko, since his former friends are gone, he doesn't need to go into hiding anymore. We need more modders for IV so someone can finally script this  :dozing:

• The American Army 1775 likes this

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

Joseph Stalin

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:26 PM

Revenge Ending is Better in My Opinion.
But
Deal Ending Suits as The Moral of The Story.
I wish Danny could make a happy ending.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

My music's my favourite music ever.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:37 PM

But

Who the f*ck is Danny? XD

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

But

I think he's referring to the bald man who stabbed all of his old fans(including me) in the back...
Spoiler
  • CartmanKusanagi and eCola like this

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

Joseph Stalin

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

But

Dan Houser! The Vice President of R* + GTA Story Writer.

JosephStalin
  • JosephStalin

• BUSTED!
  • Russia

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:16 AM

But

F7WrE59.jpg

The legend himself. 

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

Joseph Stalin

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:30 AM

Wanna see Dan Houser?
See F#ckingYokel's Profile Pic. Exactly Danny.

Professor SmackaDabbah
  • Professor SmackaDabbah

Dananananananana she really loves to break

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

Deal. It just makes much more sense to me. Killing Dimitri, the main villain throughout the entire game and the one responsible for pretty much everything bad that happens, is far more fitting for the final mission than killing Pegorino, a mob boss who's only been around for the last quarter or so and who's only proper bad deed was killing Kate. Honestly IIRC he wasn't even that much of an antagonist before he killed Kate. Dimitri killing Pegorino makes much more sense as it reinforces the point that's he's a backstabbing monster who can't be trusted by anyone.

Roman's death was also far more tragic than Kate's. Niko failing to protect his family from his arch nemesis is a better driving force for his rampage of revenge than a girl who he'd met recently and was sort of interested in.

With that being said... I picked Revenge every time I played. It's more recently that I've really thought about it without the bias of wanting Roman to live.

• Dr. Robotnik likes this

DERGaming
  • DERGaming

Dagger

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:00 PM Edited by DERGaming, 17 July 2016 - 04:04 PM.

There is no villains in a GTA games

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users