Quantcast

» «
Photo

Revenge or Deal? Which ending is better and more fitting?

78 replies to this topic
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:32 AM Edited by Journey_95, 22 February 2016 - 12:40 AM.

I mostly choose Revenge because Roman dying is just way too heartbreaking for me, especially on his wedding and while Mallorie is pregnant. 

But overall considering IV's tone and the overall story I do think its a bit more fitting than Revenge. Dimitri also makes a better final antagonist than Jimmy (who we just met in the last act)

Revenge feels better because its "just" Kate who dies. Don't get me wrong I like her a lot and its still sad that she dies but nowhere near as Roman's death in Deal.

I also like it better that Niko deals with Dimitri and Jimmy Pergorino personally in the Revenge ending missions. In Deal Jimmy meets a rather lame end

Your Thoughts?

I was just playing GTA IV once again (the sixth time I think) and thinking about which ending to choose this time

• Uncle Vlad and The Deadite like this

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:42 AM

I always chose revenge. I don't think Niko would ever want to work with the man that tried to kill him and his cousin again.

• CartmanKusanagi, rampage08, Journey_95 and 9 others like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:49 AM Edited by Zello, 22 February 2016 - 01:06 AM.

Deal it's a much powerful ending for me Dimitri's death is much better chasing after him in a helicopter during a storm. Killing him on the platypus was meh his death in deal is much better IMO.

Niko's visit to Liberty City changed him. The Niko we get at the end on Happiness Island is way different than the one we started with when he came off the boat. Depending on the decisions you make and if you paid attention during the story you can see his transformation. That's why I can see him picking deal.

In Deal Niko loses the closest person to him Roman. On happiness Island after he kills Dimitri no matter what he does Niko knows that Roman is gone and he can't change that.
9bdjj8.jpg

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:08 AM

It really depends on how you think the story should pan out, forgiveness or revenge?

And by that, the encounter with Darko plays bigger role in Niko's decision as well.

See it this way:

When Niko kills Darko, he just says to Roman that he feels empty, like he didn't feel satisfied at all, so looks for another target to channel his revenge, that target is Dimitri, by taking the Revenge ending.

But, if he forgivess Darko and let him live, he then starts to ponder if revenge is really everything he wants and then, even though he knows Dimitri is a treacherous snake, tries to make a deal with him, not only for the money but because he also wants to stop being so vindinctive.

For me, Niko sparring Darko and then taking revenge on Dimitri felt way too contrived when you consider his dialog with Roman in That Special Someone.
  • DragonpokeZ likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:13 AM Edited by Journey_95, 22 February 2016 - 01:14 AM.

Deal it's a much powerful ending for me Dimitri's death is much better chasing after him in a helicopter during a storm. Killing him on the platypus was meh his death in deal is much better IMO.

Niko's visit to Liberty City changed him. The Niko we get at the end on Happiness Island is way different than the one we started with when he came off the boat. Depending on the decisions you make and if you paid attention during the story you can see his transformation. That's why I can see him picking deal.

In Deal Niko loses the closest person to him Roman. On happiness Island after he kills Dimitri no matter what he does Niko knows that Roman is gone and he can't change that.
9bdjj8.jpg

True but picking deal goes against the transformation I think. It means he still chose money at the end and trusted a guy who betrayed him once already.

Also things look a lot more bleak with Roman dead, really not sure what will happen to Niko after Deal (Kate broke up with him anyway). At least after Revenge there is Roman to help him.

Also with Revenge he tells Kate that he wants to stop with his criminal activities and I think that he will honor that promise and become legit after her death. 

• CartmanKusanagi likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

Even though Revenge makes more sense I think the ending of Deal is more epic. I always get more satisfaction killing Dimitri last on Niko's hitlist than Pegorino.

• theNGclan, Scaglietti, Zello and 5 others like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:20 AM Edited by Zello, 22 February 2016 - 01:35 AM.

True but picking deal goes against the transformation I think. It means he still chose money at the end and trusted a guy who betrayed him once already.

Also things look a lot more bleak with Roman dead, really not sure what will happen to Niko after Deal (Kate broke up with him anyway). At least after Revenge there is Roman to help him.

Also with Revenge he tells Kate that he wants to stop with his criminal activities and I think that he will honor that promise and become legit after her death. 

Niko came here looking for Revenge on Darko for what he did to him and his friends during the war like Pedinhuh said the Darko decision changed Niko. Killing him left him empty forgiving Darko and letting him go made him feel better Niko might try the same approach with Dimitri.

In the deal ending mission A Revengers tragedy he says this while chasing Pegorino's guys "I came to this city wanting revenge, I let that desire build up inside of me for many years. I let it eat out everything good in me. It took me over. I cannot allow that to happen again, not to me, not to Mallorie and everyone who loved Roman."

The great thing about IV's endings are that they are open to interpretation you can choose either option and still may not be right or wrong.
  • Journey_95 likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:23 AM

9bdjj8.jpg

Niko came here looking for Revenge on Darko for what he did to him and his friends during the war like Pedinhuh said the Darko decision changed Niko. Killing him left him empty forgiving Darko and letting him go made him feel better Niko might try the same approach with Dimitri.

True that makes sense. Damm that makes Deal even more tragic.

American Viking
  • American Viking

WKTT caller

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:41 AM

Revenge is clearly the canon ending and thus more "fitting". Niko wanted to kill Dmitri the whole game so it's illogical to think he would suddenly forgive and forget for a little extra money, especially since Niko is not a man motivated by money. Niko's convictions as a man of principle would absolutely not allow him to work with Dmitri again after he found a knife in his back, plus from a tactical and opportunistic point of view, Niko could not afford to pass up his chance to kill Dmitri. The real question is, would Niko have still chosen revenge if he'd known what would become of Kate? 

• Algonquin Assassin, Journey_95 and Shadowfennekin like this

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

Life is a risk eśe, choose carefully holmes -Mr.Cartoon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:59 AM Edited by GTA_The_Series, 22 February 2016 - 03:37 AM.

I always pick Revenge. Dmitri had it coming.
  • Journey_95, Shadowfennekin, The Deadite and 1 other like this

gtafaninwest
  • gtafaninwest

Trick

• Members

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:03 AM

Definitely Revenge. Family before females.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:52 AM

Revenge is a Dish best served Cold.

• Actlikeyouknow and Simply_Wasted like this

Simply_Wasted
  • Simply_Wasted

YOU CHUBBY MUTHAF*CKA!!! -Ryder

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:06 AM Edited by Simply_Wasted, 22 February 2016 - 06:07 AM.

Revenge is a Dish best served Cold.

Damn right it is :^: I still remeber Niko finally killing Dmitri at the end while Niko said his words. That sh*t was deep.

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:08 AM

Revenge is better. I can't see Niko going back and working with the man who betrayed him, then kidnapped Roman.

And losing Kate didn't matter to me. She never put out and wasn't as lovable as Roman. She was probably my least favorite character in vanilla IV.

• Actlikeyouknow likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:15 AM

And losing Kate didn't matter to me. She never put out and wasn't as lovable as Roman. She was probably my least favorite character in vanilla IV.

Dude, how could you dislike Kate?

Have you had a read of this?

Those are my opinions (and shared by SOL) about her in the following few Posts.

:^:

gtafaninwest
  • gtafaninwest

Trick

• Members

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:55 AM Edited by gtafaninwest, 22 February 2016 - 06:56 AM.

She was kinda annoying and extremely judgmental on clothing.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:17 AM

She was kinda annoying and extremely judgmental on clothing.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Does what I posted change your view about her, even in a small way?

akif2050
  • akif2050

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:56 AM

My choice was Revenge Because i don't want Roman get killed and it maybe canon also because in Grand Theft Auto V you see that Niko says "Happy Birthday, Roman!" in his Lifeinvader Profile on Jimmy De Santa's Laptop

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:00 AM Edited by Zello, 22 February 2016 - 08:04 AM.

My choice was Revenge Because i don't want Roman get killed and it maybe canon also because in Grand Theft Auto V you see that Niko says "Happy Birthday, Roman!" in his Lifeinvader Profile on Jimmy De Santa's Laptop

I don't think that's canon they never say what year Lifeinvader was created in Facebook started in 2004 but it wasn't very popular until around 2009 or 2010 which kinda explains why it wasn't mentioned in IV. It could have been an old profile for all we know and he could possibly still be alive or Niko created it after his death in honor of Roman's memory.

akif2050
  • akif2050

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:15 AM

I don't think that's canon they never say what year Lifeinvader was created in Facebook started in 2004 but it wasn't very popular until around 2009 or 2010 which kinda explains why it wasn't mentioned in IV. It could have been an old profile for all we know and he could possibly still be alive or Niko created it after his death in honor of Roman's memory.
So How can a dead person create his account because Roman has Lifeinvader Profile ok if that profile is old then it should be deleted by now so why it still there

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:19 AM Edited by Zello, 22 February 2016 - 08:22 AM.

So How can a dead person create his account because Roman has Lifeinvader Profile ok if that profile is old then it should be deleted by now so why it still there
Lots of old profiles can still be there lots of people have accounts that they haven't used or logged into in years. Yeardley Diamond died and his profile is still on Facebook. Also Niko could have created one for Roman. No ending is Canon so Roman could also still be alive and probably created one himself as well.

akif2050
  • akif2050

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:51 AM

Lots of old profiles can still be there lots of people have accounts that they haven't used or logged into in years. Yeardley Diamond died and his profile is still on Facebook. Also Niko could have created one for Roman. No ending is Canon so Roman could also still be alive and probably created one himself as well.
I don't think Rockstars Games Or anyone think that deep Niko Lifeinvader Profile clearly state that Roman has Lifeinvader profile and he says "Happy Birthday, Roman" if Roman is dead then he should write something like this "Happy Birthday, Roman! I Miss You Very Much"

cryptorelic
  • cryptorelic

odĕrint dum metŭant

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:28 PM

I think revenge is the way to go always. All this trouble with Dimitri and those men, i think Niko would betray himself and Roman making a deal here.

• The Deadite likes this

ExTerminator
  • ExTerminator

Heil Houser!

• Members
  • New-Caledonia

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

The Deal ending shows that Niko values Roman and his family before him. Roman tells Niko to deal with Dimitri, even though Roman knew that Dimitri tried to kill him twice. This was because of the money involved, if Niko did the deal with Dimitri, Roman planned to have some quality time with Niko, Mallorie and Kate. Doing the deal is also supposed to make Pegorino have a stronger presence in the organized crime community. However, Kate tells Niko to not work with Dimitri, because the Russian tried to kill Niko and his cousin several times, burned their house and property and caused sh*t tons of trouble for them. 

The Revenge ending shows us that Niko values revenge and himself before his dear cousin. It's basically like 'F**k the money, F**k Dimitri, f**k Pegorino, and F**k Roman's Holiday'.This also tells us that money isn't that important. Revenge shows us the true side of Niko. Niko says he came to enjoy the American Dream, but the truth was that he had come to Liberty City to take revenge. 

The hard part is determining which ending is better, you lose Roman in one and Kate in the other. You kill Dimitri and Pegorino in one, while you only kill Dimitri in the other (Peg dies anyway). In my opinion, gameplay wise, choose Revenge. Kate is basically useless, and you get to kill two antagonists and Roman survives. Choosing Deal shows you more of Dimitri's treacherous personality and one more reason to blow that Russian's head. I'd say Revenge.

• HaythamKenway and Gold-NBayse like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:31 PM Edited by HaythamKenway, 22 February 2016 - 03:32 PM.

I like the Deal more, because I feel like Niko's arc is about letting go and accepting the dream/future. It's about finally accepting Roman's vision of the world, moving on, instead of dwelling in your own miserable violent "comfort" zone. Of course, Niko learns the hard way that the dream is... well, just a dream and wiping the past away carries its own dangers, but I think that's the way his character aimed after Darko, no matter how he actually dealt with him. He wanted to let go, but the same greed, the same desire for revenge he manifested and spread throughout his life finally came back to bite him in the a*s, in the form of Dimitri.

But Revenge is completely valid too, because Niko totally is a stubborn, violent person, stuck in his ways. You can make a decent case for him being unable to snap out of his mindset after Darko too.

Either way, whatever you choose, Niko finally falls victim to his negative traits. The only question is whether it is something that drove him through his life and that he wanted to reject, despite willingly chaining himself to it (revenge/the past/the Old Country) or something that was more of an undercurrent of his previous actions and something he only truly accepted now (greed/the future/America). Both fit the character, the story and its themes.

• D T likes this

Shakermaker
  • Shakermaker

Black Hole Sun

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

Deal IMO. If spare Darko is the canon, killing Dimitri after makes no sense to me.

Lester-The-Molester
  • Lester-The-Molester

When there's no cops, anything's legal!

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

The deal ending is kinda pointless considering you still get $250k at the end of Revenge.
  • CartmanKusanagi and Actlikeyouknow like this

LittleWeasel
  • LittleWeasel

Ban this account, please.

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

The deal ending fits a lot more in the storyline development and behavior, but so then killing Roman is too sad that makes you do Revenge. Making Kate gets killed it's kinda pointless in the storyline, you can also even not date with her if you want, making the Niko's relationship be at the bottom. 

Also, Dimitri it's considered the greater antagonist in the storyline, like I said before, it's kinda pointless and no sense killing Pegorino at the end, you met him at the half of the story, but you met Dimitri since the beginning of the game. 

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

You'd have to be a monster to choose Deal :p

LittleWeasel
  • LittleWeasel

Ban this account, please.

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:24 PM

You'd have to be a monster to choose Deal :p

Kinda of it. I just take a look on Roman's happiness on his weding and I find it too sad he had to die in it if you pick Deal. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users